Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

Hamill was a 23 yr old 90 odd gamer when we got him and he had four and half good years out of him. I don't know about his stats. Fair weather supporter me, started to get more footy from about '04. It seemed he was brave and bustling and a great character to have at the club. By the time he was Hanner's age now, he was pretty beat up, no?

If we got Hanners as a 90 gamer 23 year-old......eh...forget it, we would never have got Hanners as a 90 game 23 year old. (unless he had an argument with Mr Horse and called him Mr. Ed or something)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Desperate times call for desperate measures. When I look at the list it is obvious to see where a healthy Hannerberry would fit. The Hamill/Gehrig comparison would have been apt had he come 3 years ago, alas, I doubt he will be our hero. However, like Hamill, he has an opportunity to influence the likes of Billings, Gresham, Clarke, Coffield, Steele, Battle, Marshall and Long who have shown real promise and will be expected to drive a resurgence in this club; which from the outside appears to be a in leaderless void. Im assuming his contract is heavily front ended and dependent on him making the 22 and staying healthy. No risk, no reward. He came and he needs to play. No doubt, like Blight, he will be rewarded financially one way or the other, but we are all aware that we cannot sit on our hands and expect that a change of coach alone will be enough, although it seems we have covered that base too. I hope they can all contribute for the good of the club. From his first to his last game, Hamill came from the outside, from Carton of all places at the peak of his powers and did just that. These are tough times.

guitars4
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 10:19pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 9:27pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 9:21pm
guitars4 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:50pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 8:30pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 7:10pm Sainters have short memories. Gehrig and Hamill (2 big name recruits) had plenty of injury problems early on and they turned out great.

You can't compare Freeman to Hannebery either. Totally different scenario and background. For instance, Dan H picked up over 25 posessions in his first game back from injury v Melbourne late in the season last year. He is a 3 x AA that has already played a decade of senior footy in a top club.

The main goal is to try get Dan H fit for Rd 1, along with Jake Carlisle. We have very good fitness staff (close to the best in the league apparently) so have a little faith.
Hamill turned out great?
Didn't we give him a 5 year contract as well ? Would have been lucky to play 2 years if you take out all the games he missed through injury. You would think we would learn from the sin's of the past obviously not :roll:
He missed 11 games in his first 5 years at the club and was a ferious attacker of the football which lead to his crippling injuries in 06 and 07 and forced his retirement miway though 07. His impact, along with Gehtig, on the development of the younger stars of his era at St.Kilda was unquestionable.
Agree but it didn’t end well retiring at just 30. He was just what we needed in 09 and 10.
That's a long bow to draw in my opinion. 'Hamill turned out great' rings a bit clearer than 'his retirement cost us 2 flags' and the Guitars4 comment was troll worthy IMHO.
Troll worthy are you for real ? I read a lot of your post's & I don't agree with some but I would say I agree with 90% but I would never call you a troll just because I don't agree with what you have posted. This is a forum this is what you do on a forum you express your opinion so you can see what other supporters think about what's happening at the club & thought you were a nice bloke until now.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100% with that CQ

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
guitars4
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:24pm Agree 100% with that CQ
If it's any consolation I don't think your a troll either mate you are more than entitled to your opinion.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:21pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 7:10pm Sainters have short memories. Gehrig and Hamill (2 big name recruits) had plenty of injury problems early on and they turned out great.

You can't compare Freeman to Hannebery either. Totally different scenario and background. For instance, Dan H picked up over 25 posessions in his first game back from injury v Melbourne late in the season last year. He is a 3 x AA that has already played a decade of senior footy in a top club.

The main goal is to try get Dan H fit for Rd 1, along with Jake Carlisle. We have very good fitness staff (close to the best in the league apparently) so have a little faith.
Hamill turned out great?
Didn't we give him a 5 year contract as well ? Would have been lucky to play 2 years if you take out all the games he missed through injury. You would think we would learn from the sin's of the past obviously not :roll:
He missed 11 games in his first 5 years at the club and was a ferious attacker of the football which lead to his crippling injuries in 06 and 07 and forced his retirement miway though 07. His impact, along with Gehtig, on the development of the younger stars of his era at St.Kilda was unquestionable.
Agree but it didn’t end well retiring at just 30. He was just what we needed in 09 and 10.
That's a long bow to draw in my opinion. 'Hamill turned out great' rings a bit clearer than 'his retirement cost us 2 flags' and the Guitars4 comment was troll worthy IMHO.
Troll worthy are you for real ? I read a lot of your post's & I don't agree with some but I would say I agree with 90% but I would never call you a troll just because I don't agree with what you have posted. This is a forum this is what you do on a forum you express your opinion so you can see what other supporters think about what's happening at the club & thought you were a nice bloke until now.
I didnt call you a troll. I thought your post was troll WORTHY. I was serious. Your second effort was a little more thought out but given Hamill's first 3 years and being awarded captaincy in his third, a contract extension wasnt that bad a move. Had his body held together it could have been a history making move. Sorry to have offended you with my opinion about our clubs decision to lure Aaron to the club.

guitars4
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:41pm

Hamill turned out great?
I didnt call you a troll. I thought your post was troll WORTHY. I was serious. Your second effort was a little more thought out but given Hamill's first 3 years and being awarded captaincy in his third, a contract extension wasnt that bad a move. Had his body held together it could have been a history making move. Sorry to have offended you with my opinion about our clubs decision to lure Aaron to the club.
My second post was a clarification not a back down because I never said his first 5 years. The only offence I take is the insinuation that I was trolling. I call it as I see it & I am every bit as passionate about the St.Kilda Football Club as you are if not more so. Ok we don't agree on this issue but I not going to slander you just because we disagree. I will leave it at that

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 12:07am
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:41pm

Hamill turned out great?
My second post was a clarification not a back down because I never said his first 5 years. The only offence I take is the insinuation that I was trolling. I call it as I see it & I am every bit as passionate about the St.Kilda Football Club as you are if not more so. Ok we don't agree on this issue but I not going to slander you just because we disagree. I will leave it at that
<Under new rules the “troll” comment would have earned CQ a 1 day ban for commenting on a poster, however given it has been worked out civilly by the poster offended, I shall let it slide AND thank guitar4 for his grace.>

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lol. 😁 I had better read the new rules. Dont want waste any 1 day bans. Due respect to Guitars4. Troll was the wrong word, I will admit it and refrain from continuing the argument.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Lol. 😁 I had better read the new rules. Dont to want waste any 1 day bans. Due respect to Guitars4. Troll was the wrong word, I will admit it and refrain from continuing the argument.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 8:46am Lol. 😁 I had better read the new rules. Dont want to waste any 1 day bans. Due respect to Guitars4. Troll was the wrong word, I will admit it and refrain from continuing the argument.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Not much fun here anymore!!!!! 😞

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
mordiboyz
Club Player

Gee everyone, if someone gets a warning. Deal with it and move on.

The exact reason why they are doing this is because it wasn't done in the past and a lot of quality St Kilda supporters left.

You can't have it both ways.

stonecold
SS Life Member

mordiboyz wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 12:42pm Gee everyone, if someone gets a warning. Deal with it and move on.

The exact reason why they are doing this is because it wasn't done in the past and a lot of quality St Kilda supporters left.

You can't have it both ways.
In today's 'over sanitised' society, you can have it anyway you want, as long as it doesn't offend!!!!! Good luck with that one!!!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:14am Not much fun here anymore!!!!! 😞
Pipe down ya muppet!

:wink:

<breaches the no commentary on poster rule - one day ban applied>

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:14pm
stonecold wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:14am Not much fun here anymore!!!!! 😞
Pipe down ya muppet!

:wink:

That's baiting, enjoy your break!!!!! ;)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

This comparison makes no sense and is totally inaccurate.

Hamill joined the Saints at 23 YO after 94 games in 5 seasons at Carlton after making his debut.

Gehrig joined at 24 YO after 115 games in 6 seasons after making his debut.

Neither had soft tissue injuries on arrival or a chequered injury history. Both were on the verge of their prime from which we benefited.

Dan Hannebery is 28 YO after 208 games since making his debut in 2009.

Dan peaked in the period of 2012 - 2016 where he was a triple AA jet and premium midfielder.

Dans last two years have had a rapid decline in output.

I don’t know if Dan will be a gun or a bust, but a Gehrig/ Hamill comparison is ludicrous.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

It does make sense Joffa. I was referring to Hamill and Gehrig when they began their career at the Saints (not their careers before the Saints).

Gehrig for example had massive foot problems in his 1st year at the Saints and was playing fb from memory. Hamill had his fair share of problems too. They both became valuable contributers over the seasons - also off field.

Point is, Dan H has had a slight hiccup or two and even if his 1st season doesn't turn out well he still has another 4 years from 2020 to have a big and lasting impact at the Saints just like Hamill and Gehrig did (irrespective of age).

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
To the top
SS Life Member

Hannebery is 27

No doubt due diligence was attended because that is the Industry norm

Hannebery is now a St Kilda player and, no doubt, looking to build on the reputation he forged at Sydney

So let’s sit back and see the outcome

Hopefully he will provide support to the likes of Acres (returning from an injury decimated season in 2018) and the other young players looking to forge reputations in the St Kilda midfield

We have a young side and the addition of another experienced footballer will serve thus side very well - our only senior class is Steven and Carlisle

Roberton is returning from an absence and Armitage has had injury concerns

The Draft where we obtained Billings, Dunstan and Acres was the start of the rebuild - and these players are still young, developing footballers needing on field support

That acknowledged there are structural issues with our List which are of more consequence than speculation on what Hannebery will bring on field - starting with our Ruck Division

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 11:03pm Hannebery is 27
Turns 28 on 24 February 2019.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 12 Feb 2019 10:47pm It does make sense Joffa. I was referring to Hamill and Gehrig when they began their career at the Saints (not their careers before the Saints).

Gehrig for example had massive foot problems in his 1st year at the Saints and was playing fb from memory. Hamill had his fair share of problems too. They both became valuable contributers over the seasons - also off field.

Point is, Dan H has had a slight hiccup or two and even if his 1st season doesn't turn out well he still has another 4 years from 2020 to have a big and lasting impact at the Saints just like Hamill and Gehrig did (irrespective of age).
It’s an apples & oranges comparison.

Both Hamill & Gehrig were younger, fitter, on the verge of their prime and expensive acquisitions to acquire.

Hanners is older, had two injury riddled seasons of which Sydney doesn’t even seem confident they can fix and he came to our club quite cheaply as a result.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
ListManager
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 6:19pm Starting to sense (Freeman) deja-vu.
Same idiocy of giving long contracts to injury riddled players better resourced clubs couldn't fix!

Flame away!
And you know what makes it worse? When they finally got Freeman right they delisted him. The Saints are the laughingstock of the AFL.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
ListManager
Club Player

A couple more sore points, when investing picks 1 and 4 in a brutal competition like the AFL you don't risk it on supposed athletes with diabetes and someone who has already done his ACL. Moorabbin is a circus. And it hurts me to say this but it's true.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
degruch
Saintsational Legend

ListManager wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 7:50am
whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 6:19pm Starting to sense (Freeman) deja-vu.
Same idiocy of giving long contracts to injury riddled players better resourced clubs couldn't fix!

Flame away!
And you know what makes it worse? When they finally got Freeman right they delisted him. The Saints are the laughingstock of the AFL.
And he was quickly snapped up by...?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 6:19pm Flame away!
I'm afraid that's against the new forum rules...the best we can do is organise an intervention for you.