Bassat on the focus now- The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bassat on the focus now- The Age

casey scorp wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 8:10am “It was a mistake at the time and it was even worse mistake in hindsight. We shouldn’t have gone to Seaford.”

Funny, there were a few of us on here at the time pointing out that Seaford would be a mistake. But the club mouthpieces here just parroted the rubbish being spruiked from the club.

You didn’t need hindsight to know that Seaford was going to be a big mistake. It had nothing going for it.
The JO is the GO

Legendary
Club Player

Put my hand up as someone who thought Seaford was the right move at the time and that Archie Fraser was hard done by because the move was completely driven by Westaway, Levin and Gdanski. Particularly the latter who had oversight of the project.

However it was clearly a bad move from a cultural perspective and no club should build two brand new facilities from scratch twice in the same decade, it is a plainly silly business move.

Good to see Bassat putting that behind us and moving on to sell the benefits and positives of the Saints. He's clearly going to back Richo in all year absent some kind of disaster (e.g. 1 win after 10 games). My mail is that the Board discussions have centered around Richo being minimum of 4-6 after 10 games as the benchmark. That's pretty fair.

Good first up interview from the new President.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will he give Richo a discount on SEEK when Richo is Seeking a new job?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Bassett wants some characters and a bit of flare back on the list. Interesting and very good IMO. Its obvious now why we went with three mature aged recruits in the draft that are a bit different.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The club is clearly in 'tell the customers what they want to hear' mode.

Sounds like it's working.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

What does the inside of the boardroom look like at the club? Serious question. Anyone know?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:38am Thought it was a really good interview. Read it carefully . It reads like he fully backs the coach, but in actuality he's basically saying that we're out of excuses and if we don't perform on the field he's out on his ear - by the end of the year. Exactly how it should be. He makes sure he doesn't back himself into a cnr by putting a number on the wins for the year. He sensibly just says that he wants us to be competitive week in, week out. I agree with that 100%. Win/loss ratio can be very deceiving. You can look better or worse depending on who you play and where you play them. We can all tell if the team has improved by a 2-3 goal loss to WC at Optus stadium. A 10 goal win against GC can mean anything.

I was very interested in his comments re every expense will be scrutinised to assess whether it will assist the Saints to be more competitive and win us games of footy. If it doesn't then it's de-prioritised or simply won't be done. Is he saying that the AFLW team will be taken off the agenda for the time being? That's how I read it and if so I agree. I know many, possibly most, disagree with this line of thinking however I fail to see how the Saints having an AFLW team will assist our mens team win a flag. Will it increase our exposure and attract more female members?? I don't think so. Eventually the AFL will say to the clubs that this competition needs to stand on it's own two feet. That means clubs will have to pay for coaches, players, extra equipment etc. We simply don't have the funds and I read that this may well be de-prioritised by Basat.

Promising interview in any event - regardless of my take on the AFLW. I like the fact that he appears to be the type to get on the front foot.
We only lost by 2 goals to WC over there last year. If we want to improve we've got to start winning interstate and not just in Qld, at the moment everybody wins up there. And we haven't gone close to beating the Gold Coast by 10 goals anywhere for years. Nope, it's gotta be all about wins this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Back then Moorabbin was a dung heap with no chance to rebuild it, Seaford was state of the art in comparison when the club went there.

The club was based at Seaford but it didn't play there and it's social club was still at Moorabbin.

I don't see the issue with Seaford.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:20pm
Moods wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:38am Thought it was a really good interview. Read it carefully . It reads like he fully backs the coach, but in actuality he's basically saying that we're out of excuses and if we don't perform on the field he's out on his ear - by the end of the year. Exactly how it should be. He makes sure he doesn't back himself into a cnr by putting a number on the wins for the year. He sensibly just says that he wants us to be competitive week in, week out. I agree with that 100%. Win/loss ratio can be very deceiving. You can look better or worse depending on who you play and where you play them. We can all tell if the team has improved by a 2-3 goal loss to WC at Optus stadium. A 10 goal win against GC can mean anything.

I was very interested in his comments re every expense will be scrutinised to assess whether it will assist the Saints to be more competitive and win us games of footy. If it doesn't then it's de-prioritised or simply won't be done. Is he saying that the AFLW team will be taken off the agenda for the time being? That's how I read it and if so I agree. I know many, possibly most, disagree with this line of thinking however I fail to see how the Saints having an AFLW team will assist our mens team win a flag. Will it increase our exposure and attract more female members?? I don't think so. Eventually the AFL will say to the clubs that this competition needs to stand on it's own two feet. That means clubs will have to pay for coaches, players, extra equipment etc. We simply don't have the funds and I read that this may well be de-prioritised by Basat.

Promising interview in any event - regardless of my take on the AFLW. I like the fact that he appears to be the type to get on the front foot.
We only lost by 2 goals to WC over there last year. If we want to improve we've got to start winning interstate and not just in Qld, at the moment everybody wins up there. And we haven't gone close to beating the Gold Coast by 10 goals anywhere for years. Nope, it's gotta be all about wins this season.
I think you’ve taken my post too literally. I picked out the premier and popular choice for wooden spoon. I could just have easily said the tigers who have beaten us easily the last couple of years or Sydney. Point is, most games against top teams we’ve been dreadful. Not just losing but getting smashed. Basat rightfully points out that if we can start being competitive every week then we’ll start winning some of those games. Putting a specific number on it is stupidity imo. Puts needless pressure on everyone. Everyone knows how we’re travelling by watching games. No one needs ‘11 wins’ or it’s a failure or success. Like most stats, the win/loss ratio should simply be a guide.

The only time winning is the only measurement for me is a cut throat final

Premium89
Club Player

Agree with your take on what he said in the Interview re: Richo... Can't agree on the AFLW stuff - the Club has already signed players! If we do it right it can be a massive growth area for the club - it brings in a lot of people who might have missed out on the traditional footy experiences.

FWIW My wife is a norf fan... never been super interested in watching them over the years, but as soon as they've fielded an AFLW team, it's like someone flicked the switch.
She's watching every game, checking news reports and re-watching highlights etc etc - hell, we even drove to Sydney last friday night to stand in a biblical thunderstorm to watch them smash GWS.
I'm all for it, especially seeing as North are playing a cut above some of the other teams at the moment.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Premium89 wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:15pm

Agree with your take on what he said in the Interview re: Richo... Can't agree on the AFLW stuff - the Club has already signed players! If we do it right it can be a massive growth area for the club - it brings in a lot of people who might have missed out on the traditional footy experiences.

FWIW My wife is a norf fan... never been super interested in watching them over the years, but as soon as they've fielded an AFLW team, it's like someone flicked the switch.
She's watching every game, checking news reports and re-watching highlights etc etc - hell, we even drove to Sydney last friday night to stand in a biblical thunderstorm to watch them smash GWS.
I'm all for it, especially seeing as North are playing a cut above some of the other teams at the moment.
Fair enough. My wife and kids already follow the game. My wife is very passionate pies supporter and I don't reckon she's watched 2 minutes of AFLW. I just can't see how it survives unless it can stand on its own two feet. Every year is the same. People seem interested until the men start playing, then the interest appears to drops off a cliff. Not sure why they can't play before the men in a curtain raiser - although joint use of facilities may be an issue during the season.

It is good to hear that fans who weren't passionate have become passionate because of it. I may to re assess my position. :D

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintbrat wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:03pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 50xm2.html
Bassat said the focus had to be on-field.

"Now we're back at Moorabbin and we've got a new stadium deal, we're optimistic we can start earning money and paying off the debt going forward.''

The Saints have repaid $700,000 to the AFL, which is owed close to half of their debt. They received more than $19m from the AFL - the most of any Victorian club in 2018 - but $500,000 less than in 2017, when the Marvel Stadium deal was inferior.

"We're now back at Moorabbin, we've done the hard work to do that, we've now got a decent stadium deal, we've rebuilt the culture - five years ago, I think it was a mess it's fair to say .
Im confused as they seem to have broken up the interview and created two articles... maybe for attention span reasons

this one talks about recruiting - makes a big point about about opinions are his and not the football clubs
so I assume that applies to the first articile as well
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/too ... 50xu8.html

Seeya
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:27pm
True Believer wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:47pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:39pm Those who orchestrated the move to Seafolly certainly do have one hellova' lot to answer for. :evil:

And even more so again, those incompitent arseclowns who were handed the golden goose... and dropped it... the return to JO. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Careful there Dave, anything less than cheer-leading for the club could now result in a ban, and possibly incompetent spelling could see that ban become permanent. I wonder, if I post something negative about myself is that a bannable offense?
I take offence to your spelling of offense. In Australia, thats worth a day surely.
TB, can I get away with saying that those incompitent (and possibly incontinent) arseclowns aren't even worthy of the correct spelling of 'incompetent'?

And I reckon that CQ is correct to take offence. TB, it's not like you to succumb to that all-pervading blight on humanity that is the American misrepresentation of the English language. (Maybe the Irish dancing distracted your airport typing? :) )

PS: Glad you decided to go easy and not spell/grammar check my post in the 'Two Ruckmen...' thread. That one's a goldmine of typos'. :oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I stand to be corrected, but wasn't Bassett on the BOM when the JO golden goose was dropped...???

That would mean that he (along with the others) bloody well owes us!!! :x

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dave McNamara wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 10:09pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:27pm
True Believer wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:47pm
Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:39pm Those who orchestrated the move to Seafolly certainly do have one hellova' lot to answer for. :evil:

And even more so again, those incompitent arseclowns who were handed the golden goose... and dropped it... the return to JO. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Careful there Dave, anything less than cheer-leading for the club could now result in a ban, and possibly incompetent spelling could see that ban become permanent. I wonder, if I post something negative about myself is that a bannable offense?
I take offence to your spelling of offense. In Australia, thats worth a day surely.
TB, can I get away with saying that those incompitent (and possibly incontinent) arseclowns aren't even worthy of the correct spelling of 'incompetent'?

And I reckon that CQ is correct to take offence. TB, it's not like you to succumb to that all-pervading blight on humanity that is the American misrepresentation of the English language. (Maybe the Irish dancing distracted your airport typing? :) )

PS: Glad you decided to go easy and not spell/grammar check my post in the 'Two Ruckmen...' thread. That one's a goldmine of typos'. :oops:
Dave, I'm going to claim jetlag and say that I suspect I missed the spellchecker changing from my correct spelling of offence to the God-forsaken American variant. As for your posts, the workload of corrections is far too great for me to be able to keep up during my short returns home.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Premium89
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 4:56pm
Premium89 wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:15pm

Fair enough. My wife and kids already follow the game. My wife is very passionate pies supporter and I don't reckon she's watched 2 minutes of AFLW. I just can't see how it survives unless it can stand on its own two feet. Every year is the same. People seem interested until the men start playing, then the interest appears to drops off a cliff. Not sure why they can't play before the men in a curtain raiser - although joint use of facilities may be an issue during the season.

It is good to hear that fans who weren't passionate have become passionate because of it. I may to re assess my position. :D
Yeah I agree, the AFLW won't suddenly spring up and take up level pegging with the Men's comp - but hopefully it will grow into a sustainable comp, whatever form that may take down the road!
Will we need a new subforum in here for AFLW?