St Kilda F.C as pure as the driven snow?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

St Kilda F.C as pure as the driven snow?

( I assume and correct me if I'm wrong as I don't read the Herald Sun and am quoting from this site ? )
The following is from an article written by Mark Robinson in the Herald Sun.

Lethlean was going on the radio, then he wasn’t. Then he was criticised by Garry Lyon and Tim Watson for not doing the interview, then suddenly Lethlean was on the radio and had smacked down an AFL employee over the Hannebery rumours he was peddling, which Lyon and Watson had asked him about.

It was hunky dory in the end, but why Lethlean entertained a discussion about Hannebery rumours was mind boggling.

“He has always had a reputation about social life that he has to deal with,’’ Lethlean said. “And the only way he can do that is by behaving well, pulling his head in when he needs to, and training hard and actually performing like the three-time All-Australian player that he is when he gets the chance to.’’

Baseless rumours or a cover up?

I find the response mind boggling also.

To my mind the last paragraph raises more questions than it answers.

Anyone else concerned or do most think St.Kilda F.C is as pure as the driven snow?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda F.C as pure as the driven snow?

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 4:25pm ( I assume and correct me if I'm wrong as I don't read the Herald Sun and am quoting from this site ? )
The following is from an article written by Mark Robinson in the Herald Sun.

Lethlean was going on the radio, then he wasn’t. Then he was criticised by Garry Lyon and Tim Watson for not doing the interview, then suddenly Lethlean was on the radio and had smacked down an AFL employee over the Hannebery rumours he was peddling, which Lyon and Watson had asked him about.

It was hunky dory in the end, but why Lethlean entertained a discussion about Hannebery rumours was mind boggling.

“He has always had a reputation about social life that he has to deal with,’’ Lethlean said. “And the only way he can do that is by behaving well, pulling his head in when he needs to, and training hard and actually performing like the three-time All-Australian player that he is when he gets the chance to.’’

Baseless rumours or a cover up?

I find the response mind boggling also.

To my mind the last paragraph raises more questions than it answers.

Anyone else concerned or do most think St.Kilda F.C is as pure as the driven snow?
What Hannebery did or didn't do in sin city with the swans really has nothing to do with the St Kilda FC as long as he has turned things around if there was indeed a problem in the first place.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 4:42pm
What Hannebery did or didn't do in sin city with the swans really has nothing to do with the St Kilda FC as long as he has turned things around if there was indeed a problem in the first place.
I'm NOT saying I think the recent rumour about him is true as I don't know.

It is possible the recent rumour about the new recruit on 800,000 a year for four years is true.

I find this comment to be perplexing and it could be interpreted as a warning and smackdown to Hannebury to pull his head in as this behaviour will no longer be tolerated.

I found the choice of words used to be very ambiguous.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't see any relevance to anything.

We all knows drug use is 'rife' across the comp, and we know for a fact that Brownlow Medallists and premiership players are into the gear.

So who gives a f***?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Who gives a... ? well Lethlean can see that if buying Hannebery proves to be a dud deal his credibility takes a second major hit; Watson cares because he loves a chance to preach in his ever falsettoing voice; Lyon loves the distraction from his own peccadillos and a chance to tut tut; Robbo writes for a tabloid: innuendo and gossip are his meal tickets and it also means he can avoid serious analysis and attempts at original thought. And he is basically a prick. Like Lyon.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

33% is what I'm hearing

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 4:59pm
I found the choice of words used to be very ambiguous.
Alas, not all that ambiguous. Oh dear.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 5:38pm I honestly don't see any relevance to anything.

We all knows drug use is 'rife' across the comp, and we know for a fact that Brownlow Medallists and premiership players are into the gear.

So who gives a f***?
Yeah good call.

Maybe next year the AFL can replace the JLT with the LSD Community Series.

Perhaps instead of playing games in China, St Kilda can play games in Laurel Canyon or on the Mexican/US southern border before the wall gets built.
If the Democrats manage to stop the wall from being built and keep the child sex traffickers and drug cartels in business and in their back pocket, perhaps going forward St.Kilda can make it an annual fixture.
Maybe the AFL and the CIA can get together and organise some games in the poppy fields in Afghanistan.

What's Lance Armstrong up to these days?... maybe the club can approach him to see if he's interested in an assistant coaching role.
El Chapo is unavailable, which is unfortunate as he would no doubt have made a great President or CEO... someone ruthless might be what the club needs to stop it from going down the gender neutral toilet.

For added motivation perhaps the players could listen to Timothy Leary, Alan Watts and Terence McKenna speeches to help the club get much higher on the ladder.
After all Timothy Leary's first album was released in 1966, how cosmic is that, man?

For interstate trips, the club could take inspiration from Ken Kesey and leave a few days earlier and travel by bus.

RSEA Park could be renamed MDMA Park.

Maybe even substitute the club song for Bob Dylan's "Everyone Must Get Stoned".
And guess what?... this song was the first song on Bob Dylan's 1966 album.
A wise man once said there's no such thing as a coincidence.
You know it makes sense!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 9:13pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 5:38pm I honestly don't see any relevance to anything.

So who gives a f***?
Yeah good call.

Perhaps instead of playing games in China, St Kilda can play games in Laurel Canyon or on the Mexican/US southern border before the wall gets built.
If the Democrats manage to stop the wall from being built and keep the child sex traffickers and drug cartels in business and in their back pocket, perhaps going forward St.Kilda can make it an annual fixture.
Maybe the AFL and the CIA can get together and organise some games in the poppy fields in Afghanistan.

What's Lance Armstrong up to these days?... maybe the club can approach him to see if he's interested in an assistant coaching role.
El Chapo is unavailable, which is unfortunate as he would no doubt have made a great President or CEO... someone ruthless might be what the club needs to stop it from going down the gender neutral toilet.

For added motivation perhaps the players could listen to Timothy Leary, Alan Watts and Terence McKenna speeches to help the club get much higher on the ladder.
After all Timothy Leary's first album was released in 1966, how cosmic is that, man?

For interstate trips, the club could take inspiration from Ken Kesey and leave a few days earlier and travel by bus.

RSEA Park could be renamed MDMA Park.

Maybe even substitute the club song for Bob Dylan's "Everyone Must Get Stoned".
And guess what?... this song was the first song on Bob Dylan's 1966 album.
A wise man once said there's no such thing as a coincidence.
You know it makes sense!
<edited by mods> is that you

<poster banned for one week after ignoring previous requests for not baiting a poster and that was lenient in that rules actually gives provision for a permanent ban for what was posted>

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Well if it's snowing in St Kilda in March then either the climate is very weird or something else is snowing.

In all seriousness though lets just see how Hannebery actually performs on field.

The reality is he is now ranked 190 on AFL footy rankings and has a banged up body.

Unless there is a medical miracle he is no longer the player he was 4 years ago.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 7:21pm ....
Lethlean can see that if buying Hannebery proves to be a dud deal his credibility takes a second major hit....
Seems like Lethlean is covering his backside. Problem is...why recruit him if you had prior knowledge?

Didn't Ben Cousins have hammy issues when he was with the Tigers? I'm not saying that Hannas current injury issues are related to any sort of illicit drugs, but I'd be interested in the science of it all

When players take illicit substances regularly over an extended period of time, what sort of damage is it doing to their bodies and regeneration of healthy muscle cells?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2019 7:21pm ....
Lethlean can see that if buying Hannebery proves to be a dud deal his credibility takes a second major hit....
Especially when Lethlean had a long-standing and pre-existing personal relationship with the Hannebery family.

Was not an objective arm's length deal. More like a 'contracts for mates' deal.

If we finish bottom 7 the Swans also get a top 25 draft pick back.

I am sure DH has another 20 or so good AFL games left him but with the $ deal he is on we really need 50 good AFL games from him in total to get value.

It worries me that before the season has even started there has been a kind of campaign to discount his on field value with lots of (unproven and wild) claims about his off field value.

I mean are we already making excuses for Lethlean before the deal has even started?

This deal goes at least 4 seasons and we are yet to start season 1.

Long long way for this run yet.

HarryM
Club Player

Think of all the new members we could pick up. :D

supersaints2
Club Player

If there is an issue (Allegedly) then as long as Hanners pulls his head in then all is sweet

I recall one Ruckman from West Coast who was in the same gang as Cousins etc and Caro went to town about him...

He played some bloody good footy with us and left his party habits behind... expect the same ....

More concerned about his body... just hope it can get somewhere near were it was two years ago...

As for the Swans supposedly shocked he was in the leadership group at the Saints... wasn't he Vice Captain at the Swans???

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

So who gives a f***?
Yeah good call.

You, and the AFL shouldn't support it.

You, and the AFL don't even have to like it.

But it's wedged in in between naivety and hypocrisy for people that passionately follow AFL footy and support any of the 18 clubs, to get on their high horses about it.

It's rife. Saints players used drugs. We cheered for them. Saints players currently use drugs. We cheer for them.

The best players in the comp over the 20 years have used drugs. We laud them.

Premiership players over the past 20 years have used drugs. We laud them.

If people don't like it, then if they're fair dinkum they'd follow another sport. Because it's simply part of the game, and part of the club that they follow.

You don't have to like it. It's just a fact.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When you have a guy with known injury concerns over the last 2 years and you combine that with the rumours then I think some fans have every right to question the decision making process. The fact that a player cannot perform and cannot get out on the park is the reason that some Saints supporters who usually couldn't give a rats are strating to be concerned

I think The_Dud summed it up best;

"I don’t really care what players do off the field as long as they’re not hurting other people, if they perform on field that’ll do me. I’m sure there’s a whole bunch of d**kheads who play for St Kilda, same as every club, but I’m not too worried about it as I don’t have to interact with them."

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 10:38am When you have a guy with known injury concerns over the last 2 years and you combine that with the rumours then I think some fans have every right to question the decision making process. The fact that a player cannot perform and cannot get out on the park is the reason that some Saints supporters who usually couldn't give a rats are strating to be concerned

"I don’t really care what players do off the field as long as they’re not hurting other people, if they perform on field that’ll do me. I’m sure there’s a whole bunch of d**kheads who play for St Kilda, same as every club, but I’m not too worried about it as I don’t have to interact with them."
I agree with the sentiment but not the logic for this very reason!

Even if they are snorting coke, having sex with prostitutes, drinking themselves under the table, partying all night long and still somehow performing reasonable ok, then my counter point would be, if they were looking after their bodies like professional athletes, improving their diet, getting sufficient rest and not poisoning themselves with alcohol and toxic chemicals, I believe they would perform at an even higher level.
( forgive the pun )

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree with your logic. Long term, I reckon players that indulge excessivley and regularly will pay the price and it has to have some effect.

Perhaps some of the reason why some players can't shake off some injuries (think Harley Bennell of the Dockers) is because he has allegedly abused his body with all sorts over the last 5 years or more

You bring up alcohol too and although it's very rare that players indulge the way they used to in the 80's and 90's we all know that excessive drinking is going to impact performance - brewers droop comes to mind ;)

When teams are looking for an edge or that extra 1% output the leaders of footy clubs usually get players to agree to an alcohol ban, especially leading up to and including all finals. I wonder if they secretly agree to an illicit drugs ban as well?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 12:55pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 10:38am When you have a guy with known injury concerns over the last 2 years and you combine that with the rumours then I think some fans have every right to question the decision making process. The fact that a player cannot perform and cannot get out on the park is the reason that some Saints supporters who usually couldn't give a rats are strating to be concerned

Even if they are snorting coke, having sex with prostitutes, drinking themselves under the table, partying all night long and still somehow performing reasonable ok, then my counter point would be, if they were looking after their bodies like professional athletes, improving their diet, getting sufficient rest and not poisoning themselves with alcohol and toxic chemicals, I believe they would perform at an even higher level.
( forgive the pun )
Ben Cousins say hi.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 1:55pm

( forgive the pun )
Ben Cousins say hi.
He didn't play as long as Harvey or Bradley did

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

( forgive the pun )
Ben Cousins say hi.
Perhaps Ben Cousins would have been an even better player if he wasn't using amphetamines.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 4:21pm

( forgive the pun )
Ben Cousins say hi.
He didn't play as long as Harvey or Bradley did
I think some athletes thrive on the chaos though, and wouldn’t be the same if they turned into a teatotaller.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Shaggy
Club Player

I am glad we are recruiting players on their football ability again rather than whether they would make school captains.

Dan has been a leader for the Swans for many years. He is not an angel but a professional who stands up when it counts which includes the last final the Swans were in. Watts is the type of player we do not want.