Team to play the bulldogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team to play the bulldogs

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:17pm Hey Coff - if you are reading this - there are some who want you at the Saints!
Who are they ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 3:26pm The fictional mug punter odds algorithm includes a string where if any two of Savage, Newnes, Sinclair and Lonie are in the same Saints side then just keep accepting bets and post the odds @ $3 or better. If more than two, $3.50 or better and add in a bonus bet. Keep pumping up Lonie's tyres in the press and hope the selectors read.

Kick out King newsletter suggests that if S. Savage is first choice last line defender so he can take kick outs Saints may be a first casualty of the new rule. Better (but far from best) option might be to have Jarryn kick torps or mongrels to a pack and play a tall physically tough hurts you in the tackles defender. SS may connect with say 90% of his kick outs but in general play will give up several goals. Its unlikely he can generate 4 plus coast to coast plays, but who knows.
very harsh on Savage.
He possesses a massive weapon, and it's not his fault that our guys are the least skilled side in either AFL or VFL in the art of receiving a kick-out properly (reading it well) and actually converting it.
In other words, our guys are at fault for rebound goals coming back from a point, and Savage is not the culprit. Ever

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Okay, so Savage has a massive weapon....I'm envious.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:09pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:42am
That's unbelievably harsh. He's only played one season. He might not be ready for constant senior footy. I think he showed enough last season to indicate that he has the attributes necessary to play regular senior footy. Not everyone is a Bontempelli or Martin and ready made from day one. Time is well and truly on his side at the moment. Give him time to develop the endurance to run and run all day then we'll see him in the starting 18.
I should have been clearer. I still think Coffield could be a gun and you are right players take time. I meant we didn't need another HBF as much as do other positions and there were plenty of other players on offer who we could have drafted and used. Even if they didn't work out it would have been worth the risk to draft them. I always liked Higgins and said as much back then, not related by the way.

Now we have Coffield who is trying to get game time in a position that is the most heavily contested. Webster gets a run as he is good and getting better. Gears because he is captain, Roberton as he was all Aus squad before heart issues. So that leaves one spot between savage whose long kick now becomes more valuable, Nick hind who has pace that we need, battle depending on whether is playing as a kdp and Coffield who is still learning the craft.

Just saying wouldn't it be better to have an up and coming outside mid or pacy small forward or even a ruckman rather than another HBF
No more ruckmen. Please!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 7:10pm To answer guitars4, Acres was actually pick 19, in 2013, behind Billings 3 and Dunstan 18. But imo if given a fair go could be the best of the three and the equal of most top 10 picks. Hope Richo does not do to him what Lyon did to Luke Ball
I worry about the current coach's ability to develop players, I really do. The track record with player development is very ordinary.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saint6709
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 8:35am
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:33pm
guitars4 wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 8:16pm
Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.
Maybe he's been told to "work on some things"
or maybe they think he's OK for seniors, but would rather try others first to see how they'd go?
Who knows...
Richo has new heads as assistants, experienced ones, so we have to trust they might be a lot better than their predecessors.
I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good
Coffield was a very young draft - was about second youngsrst in the league in his first year - anyone who says he won’t make it hasn’t got a clue

guitars4
Club Player

BadRossco wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 7:10pm To answer guitars4, Acres was actually pick 19, in 2013, behind Billings 3 and Dunstan 18. But imo if given a fair go could be the best of the three and the equal of most top 10 picks. Hope Richo does not do to him what Lyon did to Luke Ball
I never said Acres I was only commenting on Coffield & he was actually no.8 in the draft of 2017

guitars4
Club Player

saint6709 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 10:14pm
Spinner wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 6:44pm Coffield gets another run in the seconds...
Has he been injured or has his form been an issue ? He is a top 10 draft pick & he can't get a game in a preseason competition . I thought he had a pretty average year last year considering he was pick 8 in the draft but you would think he would get a run in the preseason comp.
or maybe they think he's OK for seniors, but would rather try others first to see how they'd go?
Who knows...
Richo has new heads as assistants, experienced ones, so we have to trust they might be a lot better than their predecessors.
I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good
Coffield was a very young draft - was about second youngsrst in the league in his first year - anyone who says he won’t make it hasn’t got a clue
I just call it as I see it . I didn't bag him or even suggest he can't make it . All I said is I'm really surprised that a top 10 draft pick can't get a run in a mickey mouse comp . I actually would love to see him show what he has to offer but if the club doesn't give him the opportunity how can any one judge . I rest my case :?

Shaggy
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:27pm I just call it as I see it . I didn't bag him or even suggest he can't make it . All I said is I'm really surprised that a top 10 draft pick can't get a run in a mickey mouse comp . I actually would love to see him show what he has to offer but if the club doesn't give him the opportunity how can any one judge . I rest my case :?
Coffield was one of Sandy's best last week. An under ager learning. A special talent.

guitars4
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:48pm
guitars4 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 11:27pm I just call it as I see it . I didn't bag him or even suggest he can't make it . All I said is I'm really surprised that a top 10 draft pick can't get a run in a mickey mouse comp . I actually would love to see him show what he has to offer but if the club doesn't give him the opportunity how can any one judge . I rest my case :?
Coffield was one of Sandy's best last week. An under ager learning. A special talent.
That's great & I understand that all players develop differently to others but I still think he should have been given the opportunity to play at the a higher level unless there is a injury or he has had a delayed start to the preseason but IMO only

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It does seem as if we have picked the team for round one with some probables. I would not be too concerned that Coffield is not there, he's close but others preferred at this stage. My opinion is that by season's end, Coffield and Paton will have gone ahead of others and ready to cement their places for 2020 onwards. Then we can turn our attention to the next couple of one year veterans who have not finished Top 10 in the B&F and made AA squads.
Coffield, Paton and White will all be fine, as will Acres, our list is not too bad and when these guys get that 30 to 80 games in them we'll be going OK once a couple of glaring holes are plugged, ruck & classy, quick, goal kicking outside mid.

BadRossco
Club Player

Apologies guitars4 you are correct I should have read your post more carefully. Draft positions aside I have similar concerns for both Acres & Coffield and would hate to see either or both tearing it up in somebody else's colours

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

C'mon guys, Coffield is in his 2nd year as an AFL footy player and is 19. Give him time.

Plus Acres was injured and is underdone.

Both will be playing a lot of senior footy this year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think people have misunderstood the comment regarding Coffield. No one is saying that he is a bad player and wont make it nor that he isn't coming along. The comments were about us not needing another f@#king HBF which we don't need, its like getting another average inside mid. HE was a poor draft pick FOR US at that time. I hope he becomes a gun and I support him of course but I would have preferred to have drafted other players

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Coffield will be a great utility player, hopefully for the Saints. Given we will not make finals and should give younger players experience a useful long term team might be: Geary; Joyce; Hind: Webster; Clavarino; McKenzie: Clark; Steele; Battle: Membrey; Marshall; Bruce: Billings; McCartin; Long. Longer, Sebby, Steven. Int: Coffield, Paton, Acres, Gresham Emg. Paton, Lewis, Phillips

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, tallish skinny kids are always expected to bust games open in their first year.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Who knows...
The Crows drafted Rory Sloane as a HBF from the Eastern Rangers.

Fair dinkum.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 8:45pm
Who knows...
The Crows drafted Rory Sloane as a HBF from the Eastern Rangers.

Fair dinkum.
P.S. In the 40's, BTW.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 9:33pm That is our best available side pretty much.
Audition for Rd 1.
Huh?

Jack Steven ring a bell?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:17pm Hey Coff - if you are reading this - there are some who want you at the Saints!
I'm one of 'em, Dad.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 12:14pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 8:35am I thought drafting coffield was a mistake for us. He has the attributes of being a gun but we didn't another HBF. He may not be playing for numerous reasons but he has the hardest position to break into the team and he was only ok last year, not good
I think he would have been a fine choice at 8 for a team that needed a medium-sized rebounding half back. We were not a team that needed that kind of player. I suspect that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder which I don't see working out. Coffield strikes me as a player who works best when the play is in front of him; he's never going to be a contested ball beast. I was stoked that we chose Clark, but Fogarty, Bonar or Higgins would have been my preferred options at pick 8
I reckon you're right on 1 count (i.e. Why we drafted him - the midfielder bit).

And, I reckon you're dead wrong on the other count (i.e. that doing so won't work out - it will. Think 'Release player', to begin with)).

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 1:47pm The Coff'. Looks to me to have bulked up, so should now be able to do his stuff against AFL-sized bodies. That just leaves aerobic capacity - I'm not sure where he stands on that one. Anyone know?

So IMHO, maybe this year, if not, 2020 for sure... break out year. :D
You've always been a wise man, Dave.

But, will you be remembered as a wise man..................."

"What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans, man? That he had wisdom? bulls***, man! –Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now"

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 7:51pm
Who are they ?
Me, for one. And, all my extremely long term cohort.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 10:14pm
Who knows...
When the number's right, the number's right.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 09 Mar 2019 5:45pm I think people have misunderstood the comment regarding Coffield. No one is saying that he is a bad player and wont make it nor that he isn't coming along. The comments were about us not needing another f@#king HBF which we don't need, its like getting another average inside mid. HE was a poor draft pick FOR US at that time. I hope he becomes a gun and I support him of course but I would have preferred to have drafted other players
I misunderstood naught - I've never misunderstood bog standard ignorance.