2019 Season a disaster already

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

2019 Season a disaster already

We are in absolute all sorts, season already looked bleak and now:
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring
Paddy most likely will never play again

One of our big hopes and 3 of top 7 players in all kinds of trouble. Compound that with Hannas who is strugglingto get to AFL gear.

This club is in disarray.. most absolutely unavoidable but my oh my.. this is sad

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2019 Season a disaster already

Hardly a disaster - just opens up.opportunities for others

Btw it's not the clubs fault that Roberton has heart issues and that Paddy is susceptible to concussion issues - it's not stuff that you can really test for when they are drafted or traded in

What doesn't kill.us will make us stronger

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
jaxons
Club Player

mightysainters wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 8:51am We are in absolute all sorts, season already looked bleak and now:
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

One of our big hopes and 3 of top 7 players in all kinds of trouble. Compound that with Hannas who is strugglingto get to AFL gear.

This club is in disarray.. most absolutely unavoidable but my oh my.. this is sad
When you say unavoidable, not entirely true.
We have a Head of Football who has never worked at club level before, this is a fact.
Gubby Allen has a horrible name inside the industry for double dealing.
Finnis is regarded inside the industry as a joke of a CEO.
These are the people leading our football club.
Steven is back in the fold now and will play Round 1, his personal issues could not be helped.
Roberton is just bad luck for all involved.
Carlisle was cooked at start of the summer and club chose to wait until it got better, turns out the wrong choice.
And Paddy well despite the fact we should never have chosen him pick 1 to start with, his issues have arisen from poor football technique which is a coaching and development issue first and foremost.
As for Hannebery, this was Lethlean's call to pay him $800k a year for 5 years, and get a banged up footballer, who has been known by all to have social issues away from football.
Roberton and Steven were unavoidable, the rest the club has pulled the wrong reign, as usual.

<1 week ban for demeaning and casting dispersion on the character of Saints officials>

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Some strong opinions there can't say I agree with them all but fair enough

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:30am
mightysainters wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 8:51am We are in absolute all sorts, season already looked bleak and now:
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

We have a Head of Football who has never worked at club level before, this is a fact.
Steven is back in the fold now and will play Round 1, his personal issues could not be helped.
Carlisle was cooked at start of the summer and club chose to wait until it got better, turns out the wrong choice.
And Paddy well despite the fact we should never have chosen him pick 1 to start with, his issues have arisen from poor football technique which is a coaching and development issue first and foremost.
As for Hannebery, this was Lethlean's call to pay him $800k a year for 5 years, and get a banged up footballer, who has been known by all to have social issues away from football.
Roberton and Steven were unavoidable, the rest the club has pulled the wrong reign, as usual.
Jaxons do you know what a Trojan Horse is?

Or how cancer works?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:38am
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
Jaxons post may be difficult for many of us to read, but he is 100% spot on the money.

Crossy66
Club Player

They are just everyday challenges clubs face, players come and go. Here's hoping our leaders dont crawl up into the fetal position and that they tackle the challenges head on.
A few weeks back, we were trying to work out what to do up forward when M King is ready to go. I'd suggest that he could fill Paddy's role later in the season (if that how it goes).
In the mean time, I reckon Marshall as a deep forward and back up ruck is a better balance, or even move battle forward again. paddy hadnt quite fired yet so we cant miss what we didnt have.
I think without recruiting anyone, we will be 100% better with organic improvement, plus Ratten, Lade etc. Hanners will be a bonus.
Steven should be fine.
So its probably just Carlisle and Robbo that are hard to replace, but thats life - bit like Essendon with Daniher and hooker, happens to other teams as well.
Hanners is a gamble but the reality is we have to pay the cap, also remember we couldnt attract a big name player.
Cant really fault Lethlean yet and Gubby Allen may be a used car salesman but seems to have a reputation for successful recruiting , so if he is getting results for us I am not so bothered by what other clubs think. We probably need a bit of mongrel in that department.
So on balance, I reckon more positives than negatives, so looking forward to a good season.

jaxons
Club Player

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
Sure mate, will just say positive sweet nothings in the future to keep you all happy.
More than anyone I want this club to be successful, however you must get all amazing people inside your club and that is where success starts from.
Seriously, call it as I see it, and in a position that I am exposed to a lot more of what really goes on inside the club than others.
You don't have to like or agree with what I tell you, your choice, is a free democracy we live in.

Crossy66
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:58am
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
Sure mate, will just say positive sweet nothings in the future to keep you all happy.
More than anyone I want this club to be successful, however you must get all amazing people inside your club and that is where success starts from.
Seriously, call it as I see it, and in a position that I am exposed to a lot more of what really goes on inside the club than others.
You don't have to like or agree with what I tell you, your choice, is a free democracy we live in.
Jaxons what would be the top 3 things you would do to put the Saints on a pathway to success?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:06pm
Jaxons what would be the top 3 things you would do to put the Saints on a pathway to success?
Quietly whispers:

Coleman
Brownlow
Premiership

Ahhh - we can but dream!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 11:12am
Jaxons post may be difficult for many of us to read, but he is 100% spot on the money.
Perspective is important though.

Finnis being a joke - I'm not sure you can state that that is %100 spot on the money.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but declaring fact is wrong.

Allen having a horrible name ditto.

Surgery versus rest for Carlisle isn't ground breaking stuff. Most lean toward rest of surgery. I don't begrudge anyone for that.

Choosing Petracca over McCartin would have had me underwhelmed anyway at this stage. So although it sucks we didn't get a star with Pick 1 - Petracca wouldn't have changed that.

Agree about the poor coaching of McCartin though.

As for Hannebury, surely it's too early to call? He wasn't recruited to win a Brownlow - he was recruited to rebalance the list with experience and leadership. Who knows? Maybe he's adding value already in that sense?

So I don't think you can state everything jaxons said is 100% spot on.

The perspective though, is regarding the "the rest the club has pulled the wrong reign, as usual." comment.

It sort of suggests that no club has ever pulled the wrong rein in the draft, or no club has ever faced difficult 50/50 decisions regarding 'rest or surgery' and got it wrong.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Can’t get by without a couple of important players.

Imagine the Eagles without Natanui and Gaff.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
So there is a person pr persons within the club that are slowly killing us from the inside...Is that it? The big 'C' hey!?

You are spot on, but I'd be focussed on the 'C'oach and the 'C'hief Executive. In every possible plannng meetng in 2018, the events that have occured in early 2019 would have been discussed. Why would you blame anyone else for the mess we find ourselves in?

After being at the helm for five years there is no where to hide for these two. The CEO and the coach run the show. They are the ones ultimately responsible for who is employed, who is fired, the make up the lists and the results on the footy field each week.

If this year turns out to be another disaster people cannot point the finger at any outsiders or insiders other than these two

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Is Finnis taking the club down the gender neutral toilet again this year?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Unfortunately, that post is about 98% right on, the remaining 2% is jaxon's opinion.

Not sure what we'll do about the Finnis situation. Would like a CEO committed to making the footy club a genuine footy club rather than some sort of wacky vehicle to promote causes that are not our core business.

Maddie's Match is the big one; Silk-Miller because we've done it for 20 years. They're both tied to the fabric of our club.

Throw in the fact we're off to Shanghai, we've been to NZ, we danced the Pride thing - I just want to go back to being a proper footy club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jaxons
Club Player

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
Way too much to go into here, however football basics, must be able to put a big tick next t the 4 pillars of leadership positions inside an AFL club.

President - too early to call on Bassat.
CEO- My thoughts are known on this matter.
Coach - Please....
Captain - Cant have Geary as an AFL captain.

Start with getting all 4 of these appointments right, build from there.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:19pm Can’t get by without a couple of important players.

Imagine the Eagles without Natanui and Gaff.
Ahem - they actually won a flag without both of them ... ahem.

The more pertinent question to ask is "how scary good are they going to be with both of those players playing?"

Go you red, black & white warriors
Crossy66
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:07pm
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
Way too much to go into here, however football basics, must be able to put a big tick next t the 4 pillars of leadership positions inside an AFL club.

President - too early to call on Bassat.
CEO- My thoughts are known on this matter.
Coach - Please....
Captain - Cant have Geary as an AFL captain.

Start with getting all 4 of these appointments right, build from there.
Thanks for responding and makes sense that getting the leadership right is the cornerstone.
I think the coaching position will sort it self out one way or another this season
Bassett as you say is too early to call.
I dont understand your thoughts on Geary - He's best 22 and dont the players vote on this?
CEO - Based on results, it would be hard to mount a positive arguement - perhaps warming the seat for Lethlean?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:04am Hardly a disaster - just opens up.opportunities for others

Btw it's not the clubs fault that Roberton has heart issues and that Paddy is susceptible to concussion issues - it's not stuff that you can really test for when they are drafted or traded in

What doesn't kill.us will make us stronger
Doesn't matter how positive we remain when the club somehow finds a way to take three step backwards when 'opportunities' are supposed to open up for others. I'm sure you weren't thinking of the Saints recruiting a delisted/retired good ordinary player who is over 30...

I can't understand why we would need to recruit Sam Rowe other than the membership department and the people in charge are thinking very short term and sacrificing our chances of sustained improvement up the ladder. If you are an opposition supporter you'd be thinking...'gee, the Saints must have no faith in their younger players and no faith in their recruiters'

Most other clubs would have had a back up target from the State leagues or a player who just needs a shot at an AFL professional environment. Do we have absolutely no faith in developing footballers?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
It's not about being correct.

Do you know what white anting is?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:47pm
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?

Yes Cairnsman. I know what white anting is.

Do you know what pie in the sky, head up your arse means?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We have brought in Hannebery, Kent, Parker, Hind, Young, Wilkie, Marsh and Rowe over the off season. That's 8 mature age players - far, far too many for a rebuilding team. And the only two kids we picked are under massive injury clouds and aren't going to play this year.

We also still don't have a single fit AFL proven ruckman on the list. If we were going to target recycled players I don't know why Zac Clarke or Tom Campbell weren't brought in. Hell we even passed on Hayden McLean who was fantastic for Sandy last year, did a pre season with us and then got picked up by Sydney.

I was optimistic that we would be able to push up into the 8-10 range with Robbo and Hannebery bolstering the team but now we don't have our two best defenders for the year, Hanners looks like he's in the same boat as Armo (thoroughly cooked) and the last JLT game confirmed that Paddy isn't going to be able to have an AFL career when he's so susceptible to concussion.

What our list has desperately lacked for the last 5-6 years is top end talent. We have recruited plenty of players who could be solid GOPs and depth players but other than Steven, Gresham, Steele, Ross, Membrey and possibly Billings I don't see any top end talent playing for us this year. Clark should get there and Coffield might, though his progress so far is a bit concerning.

Compare that to Melbourne - a club that was in a very similar state to us 5-6 years ago: Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, McDonald, May, Lever, Kolodjashnij, Petracca, Jones, Weideman, Hibberd. There are 8-9 players on that list who would be a good chance of making the AA team if they had a good year by their standards.

Vazelos
Club Player

Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?
I can confirm Paddy is out indefinitely along with Roberton and Carlisle our for the year.
Hannebery won’t be available until Round 4 at the nearest that’s the latest from my sources.
He has a 800k contract with few if any performance based clauses ie. he gets paid regardless if he plays. His hamstrings are very dodgy I know that from a few sources so Lethlean has opened himself up to an inside job between 2 old Xavier boys.
Positives is Nathan Brown is in great shape hebwill slot in at FB leaving Battle, Joyce and the new boy from Collingwood to battle for a few spots.
What I do want from the club is definitive decisions on Roberton and Mc Cartin by end of 2019 so if we have to we go hard in free agency.
You heard this first:
We are already into some Swans players for next year, Luke Parker is one of them.

Crossy66
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:33pm We have brought in Hannebery, Kent, Parker, Hind, Young, Wilkie, Marsh and Rowe over the off season. That's 8 mature age players - far, far too many for a rebuilding team. And the only two kids we picked are under massive injury clouds and aren't going to play this year.

We also still don't have a single fit AFL proven ruckman on the list. If we were going to target recycled players I don't know why Zac Clarke or Tom Campbell weren't brought in. Hell we even passed on Hayden McLean who was fantastic for Sandy last year, did a pre season with us and then got picked up by Sydney.

I was optimistic that we would be able to push up into the 8-10 range with Robbo and Hannebery bolstering the team but now we don't have our two best defenders for the year, Hanners looks like he's in the same boat as Armo (thoroughly cooked) and the last JLT game confirmed that Paddy isn't going to be able to have an AFL career when he's so susceptible to concussion.

What our list has desperately lacked for the last 5-6 years is top end talent. We have recruited plenty of players who could be solid GOPs and depth players but other than Steven, Gresham, Steele, Ross, Membrey and possibly Billings I don't see any top end talent playing for us this year. Clark should get there and Coffield might, though his progress so far is a bit concerning.

Compare that to Melbourne - a club that was in a very similar state to us 5-6 years ago: Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, McDonald, May, Lever, Kolodjashnij, Petracca, Jones, Weideman, Hibberd. There are 8-9 players on that list who would be a good chance of making the AA team if they had a good year by their standards.
I think we will have a much improved season although losing Carlisle and Robbo will have an impact. I wouldnt lose sleep comparing us to Melbourne, they spent over a decade in no mans land before 2017. They were winning wooden spoons whilst we played finals. It wasnt until the AFL intervened, Paul Roos, Peter Jackson etc got involved that they turned it around. May, Lever & Kolodjashnij have just joined because they became a destination club and thats what we miss. Hopefully that Melbourne 2017 will be us in 2019. I hope all the recent changes make it so. The two big issues for us was bottoming out at the same time as the expansion clubs introduction, Salary cap issues & Pelchan's resultant actions.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 2:09pm
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 1:47pm
Steven mental issues
Carlisle Back is cooked
Roberton retiring

Or how cancer works?

Yes Cairnsman. I know what white anting is.

Do you know what pie in the sky, head up your arse means?
Grubby politicians use a simple but effective technique to control people's thoughts by linking random emotive and totally irrelevant issues to thier agenda as a way of recruiting support.

The issue we should all be concerned with is the lives of two young men. All of the other stuff is grubby agenda recruiting by a person that is perceived as a hero on here, a hero that uses privilaged information, let me say that agian, privaleged information, to recruit people on anonoumous social media platform to recruit support for his own agenda. Just a grubby indivual. Ohhh please Jaxson tell us what you know. Like a bunch of fuctards salivating over the next issue of Womans Day.

Jaxons you are a grub.

<please note that Cairnsman already received a ban for previous post>