List something you think is working well at the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: List something you think is working well at the club

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 11:17am I’ve heard this criticism of the medicos a few times as of late...

Give me the specific thing/s they done wrong that’s negligible/incompetent

Feels to me that this is just piling on.
I’m not a fan of the club continually bringing in injury compromised players

Paddy
Freeman
Hanners
Bytel
King

I’m sure the medicos have a bit to say in approving them

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 1:19pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 11:17am I’ve heard this criticism of the medicos a few times as of late...

Paddy
Freeman
Hanners
Bytel
King

I’m sure they do but I doubt the final say sits with them.
In the case of King and Bytel they pbly prognosis as is/was, out for the season, has potential to fully recover.

The advice is the advice, it’s not the medicos who act in the position of deciding who we recruit.

Hannebery I bet they urged that he could be right with careful management... not their fault we gave him a 5 year deal

Freeman... the fact is they got him right. I don’t understand the criticism here.

Only Paddy IMO serves as the real standout criticism but they only have so much information at the time. He passed all the medical testing at the time and still would have been recruited regardless of whether we took him at 1 or not. He was def going top 2-3 at the latest.

Gershwin
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 11:09am
Enrico_Misso wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:43pm
Gershwin wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 7:26pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 6:39pm I’ll go first...

Despite the weeks results, I actually really like and rate our medical staff.
We don’t get too many soft tissue injuries anymore.

Next!
My belly is hurting from laughing. The medical team!
Roberton should have retired last year. So sorry for him but that is fact. That is the advice that our medical team should have given him.
Carlisle should have had an operation last year. That is the the advice that our medical team should have given him.
Bytel should not have been drafted. That is the the advice that our medical team should have given the club.
Haneberry should not have been recruited. That is the advice that the medical team should have given the club.
McCartin should have retired last year. That is the advice that the medical team should have given the club.

Oh by the way Geary has torn a calf muscle - just saying.
The same medical team that thought they could get Freezer up and running contrary to the Collingwood A-list medical team that thought he was finished.
They did get Freezer up and running. Minus a collision injury end of 2017, he had almost two soft-tissue injury free seasons
They did get him up and running but running very slowly. He had lost most of his pace and we didn't need another slow midfielder. Another poor result for recruiters and medical department.

summertime and the living is easy ........
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think you’re mixing up your facts with opinion. I can accept that the view that it was a mistake to get Freeman which it was... if you’re arguing that the only medical team that worked through his issues and got on the field for a sustained period over 5 years did a bad job IMO your objectivity is off

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 3:11pm

Paddy
Freeman
Hanners
Bytel
King

In the case of King and Bytel they pbly prognosis as is/was, out for the season, has potential to fully recover.

The advice is the advice, it’s not the medicos who act in the position of deciding who we recruit.

Hannebery I bet they urged that he could be right with careful management... not their fault we gave him a 5 year deal

Freeman... the fact is they got him right. I don’t understand the criticism here.

Only Paddy IMO serves as the real standout criticism but they only have so much information at the time. He passed all the medical testing at the time and still would have been recruited regardless of whether we took him at 1 or not. He was def going top 2-3 at the latest.
True it’s not all on the medicos, I hope they’re not making promises they can’t keep though.

Like a previous post said regarding Freeman, if all we wanted him for was speed, then they didn’t get him right, as he apparently wasn’t very fast anymore.

Drafting Paddy with the number 1 pick when they clearly had no solid plan on how to get him fit and consistently on the park with his diabetes was a massive f-up in my book, and has cost the club a lot.

Same with King and Bytel, drafting already injured players, serious injuries which could prevent them from ever getting back to their previous form, was another risk too big for my liking.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Surely Hannabery and Carlisle should have been drug tested before coming across.
Or did they both come highly recommended by their old clubs (a la Lovett)?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 4:13pm Surely Hannabery and Carlisle should have been drug tested before coming across.
Or did they both come highly recommended by their old clubs (a la Lovett)?
I seriously doubt clubs would be allowed to do that.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 10:44pm
Gershwin wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 7:26pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 6:39pm I’ll go first...

Despite the weeks results, I actually really like and rate our medical staff.
We don’t get too many soft tissue injuries anymore.

Next!
My belly is hurting from laughing. The medical team!
Roberton should have retired last year. So sorry for him but that is fact. That is the advice that our medical team should have given him.
Carlisle should have had an operation last year. That is the the advice that our medical team should have given him.
Bytel should not have been drafted. That is the the advice that our medical team should have given the club.
Haneberry should not have been recruited. That is the advice that the medical team should have given the club.
McCartin should have retired last year. That is the advice that the medical team should have given the club.

Oh by the way Geary has torn a calf muscle - just saying.
Tough but fair enough.
Yep

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 3:58pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Mar 2019 3:11pm

Paddy
Freeman
Hanners
Bytel
King

Drafting Paddy with the number 1 pick when they clearly had no solid plan on how to get him fit and consistently on the park with his diabetes was a massive f-up in my book, and has cost the club a lot.
Not trying to kick Paddy while he contemplates his future, but I cannot forgive the Saints for drafting him at Number 1. They thought they could beat the odds regarding his illness and all the ramifications regarding getting him fit when his career as a juniior was littered with evidence of fitness barriers plus injuries and even signs of delayed concussion (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-27/ ... his-tracks)

I was flabbergasted after reading that. It is amazing when look back at the time that Paddy was injured for half a year at TAC level and we still picked him. He was injured at the time of the draft combine so could not be tested against his peers and we still picked him as the best junior footballer in the country!

He had episodes with regard to his diabetes which impacted his recovery, his fitness, and even just his ability to be able to front up for a game. All the evidence was there but somehow our medicos and our recruiters ignored them or thought the risks were insignificant

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We got rid of the guy who thought we'd play finals last year.

lewdogs
Club Player

Paddy
Freeman
Hanners
Bytel
King

Talk about glass-half-empty. The season hasn't started yet and already Hannebery is a bust? King from all reports looks like a jet and possibly a player to build our next decade around.

Freeman was a terrible move, and while I wanted Petracca at the time, many of Paddy's issues have been unlucky.

As to the title of this thread, I am loving the new coaches that we've gotten into the club. With Ratten and Lade in there I think we will have a good season, I expect us to surprise a few. In fact, I think we may even be 2-0 after round 2.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freeman was a gamble that unfortunately didn't turn out well for us but he still could make it.

i agree with your other comments.

kalsaint
Club Player

"Mans gotta know his limitations".
At our club that's our understanding to cater for poor foot disposal.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency