Richo on SEN this morning

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo on SEN this morning

I just put the Richo media demeanor, cliche ease, line-and-length etc., in the same drawer as I do for many, many others. Many great players and coaches are the same. Was Yabby Jeans much chop? Ross Lyon is only funny because his robotic cliche machine goes into redline and it is almost vaudeville, but I don't think he means it.

Thommo, Blight, Alves, Sheldon more charisma for sure but mixed results.

On Hanners and SEN today,

Richo, by admitting that Hanners played unprepared last year and that it 'has caught up with him' - was pretty definitive and damning. Even for himself?

Watson's great question, 'do you reckon you've got a handle on it?" and Richo's response, 'No, THEY are really confident' (they=fitness staff) really exposes the bluff though. Because Richo had such a nice rationale explanation - a bit surprising, but just plausible - as to how we bought Hanners arrived at this position, but couldn't match that level of detail in terms of how it go from here. So frustrating that he was just good enough.

PS. The 'bluff' I refer to is the bluff of the StKFC not Richo. Richo is carrying can IMO.
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:40pm
saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:38pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:19pm Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach.
Decisions are being made for the short term at the expense of the longer term.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.
Matt Finnis is guilty of incompetence in extending his contract when it was entirely unwarranted.

I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
It must be so uninspiring listening to his monotone drone year in year out.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

I do not believe Alan Richardson is suited to being a senior coach.
IMHO, it's not in his DNA to be a leader of men.
His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's, his delivery as mentioned before is more uninspiring than anything else and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.
Who is to blame for this?

You are of course entitled to you view. I don't agree with you for one minute, and all this negative bulleshit does my head in

Here is what a St Kilda Employee said to me about Richo. I would much prefer to believe him.

"Just between you and me however he is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players. Have no idea why it hasn’t worked....so far."
Thanks Saynta. I've heard a lot of the same and seen a lot of the same. You know and I know the truth.
Yeah right of course you do :roll:

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on another poster >

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:19pm Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.
Matt Finnis is guilty of incompetence in extending his contract when it was entirely unwarranted.

I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's, his delivery as mentioned before is more uninspiring than anything else and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.

You are of course entitled to you view. I don't agree with you for one minute, and all this negative bulleshit does my head in

Here is what a St Kilda Employee said to me about Richo. I would much prefer to believe him.

"Just between you and me however he is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players. Have no idea why it hasn’t worked....so far."
It is within some people's disposition to support with blind faith and defend the club in much the same way people unquestioningly fight to defend their religion and religious views.

This is how Footy First got elected.
IMHO, I'm sure most people who voted for Footy First fail to acknowledge how complicit they are in where the club is at right now.
Archie Fraser gave a power point presentation to "Footy First" and it was greeted with approval from the board to relocate the club to Frankston.
A majority of members made the mistake of voting them in and Archie Fraser's vision for the football club was enacted.
Nick Riewoldt wrote about this shambolic stupidity in his book as regards to how dislocating this was for the playing group at the time.

I said at the time this would set the club back by at least a decade.
Those who raised objections to the relocation were viewed as being disloyal to the club because they had dissenting views to those who were in positions of authority.
Those who supported the football club's new position of relocation by voting them in started echoing the Archie Fraser talking points.

There is much more to this that could be added but to be brief, my point is the club is in the mess it's in because members do not question the decisions made by those entrusted with the power to make these decisions.
The blind loyalty shown by many in defending everything the club does is of itself more damaging to the club than dissenting voices calling for accountability for the decisions being made.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:52pm

Thanks Saynta. I've heard a lot of the same and seen a lot of the same. You know and I know the truth.
I highly doubt that employee has any idea or modicum of footballing knowledge, as Richardson has clearly not been able to put that purported knowledge into results.
Doubt all you like but my informant is a respected member of the St Kilda football club and I would accept what he says rather that the bulls*** pushed out on here as expert or informed opinion.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:37pm

It is within some people's disposition to support with blind faith and defend the club in much the same way people unquestioningly fight to defend their religion and religious views.

This is how Footy First got elected.
IMHO, I'm sure most people who voted for Footy First fail to acknowledge how complicit they are in where the club is at right now.
Archie Fraser gave a power point presentation to "Footy First" and it was greeted with approval from the board to relocate the club to Frankston.
A majority of members made the mistake of voting them in and Archie Fraser's vision for the football club was enacted.
Nick Riewoldt wrote about this shambolic stupidity in his book as regards to how dislocating this was for the playing group at the time.

I said at the time this would set the club back by at least a decade.
Those who raised objections to the relocation were viewed as being disloyal to the club because they had dissenting views to those who were in positions of authority.
Those who supported the football club's new position of relocation by voting them in started echoing the Archie Fraser talking points.

There is much more to this that could be added but to be brief, my point is the club is in the mess it's in because members do not question the decisions made by those entrusted with the power to make these decisions.
The blind loyalty shown by many in defending everything the club does is of itself more damaging to the club than dissenting voices calling for accountability for the decisions being made.

Blind loyalty? What an insulting comment.

I don't even know, nor do you, if the "dissenting voices calling for accountability" are even club members and have any such right.

We are two days away from the Saints playing their first game of the 2019 season after a summer of many positive changes and all I can see posted on here are comments designed to pull the club down, and denigrate it's officials, at least in the eyes of Saintsational forum members.

Makes me want to throw up.

I am just surprised that posters haven't got stuck into the Saints officials for perservering with Roberton and not cutting him from the list, either now or last year.

And i would like to see the medical degrees of those giving medical opinions on Hanners, McCartin and Freeman, the later, who, by the way will be playing VFL football this year after the Saints medical and fitness staff cured his dodgy hamstrings.

A bit of positivity would not go astray.

Go Saints

'

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:40pm

I highly doubt that employee has any idea or modicum of footballing knowledge, as Richardson has clearly not been able to put that purported knowledge into results.
Doubt all you like but my informant is a respected member of the St Kilda football club and I would accept what he says rather that the bulls*** pushed out on here as expert or informed opinion.
Well if he rates Richardson as senior AFL coach then he is possibly the only individual in the AFL industry to do so, it must be lonely?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sheahan said on that SEN broadcast, that Richo was as honest (about Hanners) as he has ever heard any coach speak in his entire media career. That is something! Then he added, it makes you wonder how they recruited Hanners..etc.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 3:02pm
saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:40pm

Well if he rates Richardson as senior AFL coach then he is possibly the only individual in the AFL industry to do so, it must be lonely?
Not what I said at all. Tell me have you spoken to the other 17 coaches yourself? Unless you have I will take that statement with a grain of salt

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 3:05pm Sheahan said on that SEN broadcast, that Richo was as honest (about Hanners) as he has ever heard any coach speak in his entire media career. That is something! Then he added, it makes you wonder how they recruited Hanners..etc.
Well, I wouldn't disagree with you or Sheahan there.

Crossy66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 8:55am Richo was on the debacle that is SEN's breakfast show this morning. Fair to say - as usual - didn't exactly get me exactly jumping around excited and fired up for the game ahead. How our poor players have any modicum of enthusiasm about getting out of bed to go and listen to him dribble on all day is beyond me. He's a walking cliche machine - a completely and utterly uninspiring human being.

Anyway - did hear him mention that "I won't be surprised if it's after the first 4 rounds when Hanneberry plays" ... "and that he almost has to be re-built" (as in, his body is so shot it has to be re-built). All of this delivered in the usual monotone and almost like it was no big news. I mean, WTF?

Fair to say - the initial $800K outlay this year doesn't exactly look like it will be producing an on-field dividend any time soon.

Classic Saints :roll:
Couldnt agree more. We need an entertainer to coach, maybe todd mckenney cause he can tap dance too
Maybe a radio man with some footy knowledge.....what about timmy watson, hes good to listen too....oh, we tried that didnt we.
Classic saints supporters :roll:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

This reeks of Richo going into survival mode. He launched a few grenades today at players and admin. Classic case of an early attack made by an outgoing coach

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Did you hear what he said about Logan?

#1 Ryder fan
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If the aim was to finish a club what might you do: employ an incompetent coach and extend him before results got more than appalling, appoint a CEO and football director that have no club level operational expertise but are linked to the AFL Secretariat; use our draft picks to choose players that are at best problematic and more likely to have no short/medium term impact in terms of improving playing group performance. Appoint a merchant banker as oic recruiting. Use over 50% of the salary cap on players that cannot string games together. Now I know conspiracy theories are the product of deluded fevered supporter minds, such as my own, but at a stretch it is plausible. But we all know incompetence trumps a well planned conspiracy any time. Executive meetings must be a hoot; ok lets leave a review of performance indicators for now and get back to the 14-18 strategic plan, how's that going. AR's the nicest bloke - extension? How's the overdraft?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 3:41pm Did you hear what he said about Logan?
Yep. Bit of a surprise.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From AFL.com

"Richardson believes St Kilda is on the right path to fixing Hannebery's body.

"Our guys are really confident now, that they've spent enough time with Dan and learnt from how he's responded or how he hasn't responded to whatever we've thrown at him," Richardson said.

"They know we're going to have to go right back and get this done and that's started, so we're already a couple of weeks into that."

shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 3:49pm
Yep. Bit of a surprise.
Care to share?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:02pm Doesn’t Richo have a media ban? Did he go rogue & agree to be interviewed on SEN? Shades of Scott Watters prior to his sacking. What an embarrassing interview. No doubt the media loved it & grabbed a couple of anti St Kilda headlines. Like taking candy from a baby!
I doubt he has a media ban - but I hope you’re right and he has gone rouge like SW did so we can expidiate the inevitable.

We are indeed in Dire Straits
Money for Nothing......

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 4:12pm From AFL.com

"Our guys are really confident now, that they've spent enough time with Dan and learnt from how he's responded or how he hasn't responded to whatever we've thrown at him," Richardson said.

"They know we're going to have to go right back and get this done and that's started, so we're already a couple of weeks into that."
It's called spin doctoring and an exercise in damage control which ultimately will prove to be futile.

Hannebery is cooked.
ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 4:47pm

It's called spin doctoring and an exercise in damage control which ultimately will prove to be futile.

Hannebery is cooked.
Who are you trying to convince? You or me? If it is me I can assure you, you are wasting your time.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 5:14pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 4:47pm

Hannebery is cooked.
Who are you trying to convince? You or me? If it is me I can assure you, you are wasting your time.
I am not trying to convince you of anything.
I'd have more chance of convincing Angelina Jolie to sleep with me.
Any comment on this admission of total incompetence and complete failure to conduct due diligence?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 4:35pm
saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 3:49pm
Yep. Bit of a surprise.
Care to share?
Richo said Austin isn't a naturally fit person and that he's still underdone and probably a couple of weeks away.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

In fairness, I have every bit of confidence in our medicos... no doubt Hannebury will play for us.

The issue is that we’ve made decisions regarding pay and length of contract on faulty info.

Whether Hannebury becomes greatest recruit of all time or not is irrelevant...
Success seldom comes on a foundation of luck and our strategy as of late has been far too reliant on hoping things workout rather making smart/balanced decisions to give you the best possible chance.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce was on SEN this afternoon with KB. I caught a few minutes he and there where he talked about the influence of Ratten and the ip Brett brings to the Saints. Josh was not directly critical of Richo but I found something he said regarding some of our game style was pretty damning. Looking forward to hearing the whole podcast, however to paraphrase a few bits: "Ratts is involved in day to day training; He runs a lot of the meetings. He brings a lot of fresh ideas in terms of game plans and structures. We were behind the eight ball over the last few years because we weren't doing what a lot of other clubs were doing and we are learning to do things better for our structures and forward play"

Don't know what else to conclude but poor coaching compared to a lot of the other clubs

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:38pm"Just between you and me however he is an unbelievably good person whose knowledge of the game is the best I’ve seen in my time here. Really really respected by the players. Have no idea why it hasn’t worked....so far."
And that truth may well be 'the truth'. (Unlike what Rudi Guiliani would have us believe.)

But to date, as in, after five years and yet another unfathomable team selection, (and I think that you blokes would have to agree)... we haven't seen even the slightest concrete proof.

Like you blokes, I also have great faith in tony, and I greatly appreciate his contributions to this site, and to our beloved club. Which IMHO, makes it all the more important for the/our Choach to stop embarrassing tony. :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The/our Choach's admissions are more than we've had before. So knowing how clubs lie, especially when put under the pump, the truth most likely is several more notches worse than the/our Choach's concessions.

I also noted, that for all the spin, the/our Choach wouldn't say how good we can expect Hannebery to be once we finally 'rebuild' him. i see that as pretty 'telling'.

And with his heavily front loaded contract (reportedly $2 million this year, not much in his final years), if he only hangs around a year or two and then leaves, we won't even end up with much salary cap relief after all. So hoping he doesn't trigger that fifth year is probably a moot point.

But all is not lost.

I see that Edward is finally back! Hooray! :D And he has been in training. It shows. Teddy has taken his (IMHO) irrational and gobsmackingly unsubstantiable (that's probably not a word?) optimism to a whole new level. And I'm lovin' that! Dedication to his craft, personified. Onya Teddy! Welcome back. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: