What are the qualities of our coaching that people rate and respect?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What are the qualities of our coaching that people rate and respect?

Obviously this is a bit of a sensitive topic here but Serious question... no trolling.

Many ppl like myself have been very vocal about what we think is not working, Richo does however have a lot of defenders here.

As part of forming a more measured and/or balance view, I’d like to read about his positive qualities and the things he does/is doing well.

Thanks in advance.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: What are the qualities of our coaching that people rate and respect?

He has a good public image. Nothing about him is controversial. Safe. Good bloke. Etc.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:34pm He has a good public image. Nothing about him is controversial. Safe. Good bloke. Etc.
I think he means football wise.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:52pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:34pm He has a good public image. Nothing about him is controversial. Safe. Good bloke. Etc.
I think he means football wise.
I couldn’t think of any.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Shaggy
Club Player

We really bombed last year and yet our key players stayed.

When Carlton bombed under Malthouse players ran despite Malthouse being a multiple flag coach.

There is a real relationship and trust between coach and players at the Saints which is so important to success.

I really do not care about short term failure. It creates change and hunger.

Relationship between Richo and the players is key and my understanding is we have it in spades.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I quite like the structure, actually. 3 talls in defence and Webster's pretty good in terms of support there. The fact that Battle, Joyce and Wilkie have a total of 9 games experience - which is mostly Battle playing up forward - is a worry. We're also probably a little undersized relative to our opponents, although that worries me less.

I'm also happy with two talls up forward. I'm surprised, given that Richo seemed very keen to play McCartin with Membrey and Bruce. I think pressuring opposition defences is going to be even more important with it being harder to engineer a loose defender. Kent, Long, Lonie and Parker aren't going to get a lot of the footy, but hopefully they force turnovers and generate goals.

I thought ball movement was much better over the JLT. I liked the kick-to-handball ratio there far better there than the near 1:1 stuff we did last year. There was far less playing on into immediate pressure followed by a panicked kick. Getting Richo to use Billings as a distributor rather than a finisher is one of those things I think a lot of us have wanted for a while, especially with his goalkicking woes.

And, yet, I still believe Richo's tractor is pointed straight toward Sacksville. He's chickened out on playing Marshall in the ruck again and our midfield looks suspiciously like last year's midfield. None of our forwards are elite. None of our backs are elite. Who are we beating after the Gold Coast game? We probably won't be favourites again until round 10. All of which would be more acceptable if we had more kids in the side. The other teams that aren't playing a teenager this weekend made finals last year. We won two games against teams that finished above us while finishing third-to-last.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:46pm I quite like the structure, actually. 3 talls in defence and Webster's pretty good in terms of support there. The fact that Battle, Joyce and Wilkie have a total of 9 games experience - which is mostly Battle playing up forward - is a worry. We're also probably a little undersized relative to our opponents, although that worries me less.

I'm also happy with two talls up forward. I'm surprised, given that Richo seemed very keen to play McCartin with Membrey and Bruce. I think pressuring opposition defences is going to be even more important with it being harder to engineer a loose defender. Kent, Long, Lonie and Parker aren't going to get a lot of the footy, but hopefully they force turnovers and generate goals.

I thought ball movement was much better over the JLT. I liked the kick-to-handball ratio there far better there than the near 1:1 stuff we did last year. There was far less playing on into immediate pressure followed by a panicked kick. Getting Richo to use Billings as a distributor rather than a finisher is one of those things I think a lot of us have wanted for a while, especially with his goalkicking woes.

And, yet, I still believe Richo's tractor is pointed straight toward Sacksville. He's chickened out on playing Marshall in the ruck again and our midfield looks suspiciously like last year's midfield. None of our forwards are elite. None of our backs are elite. Who are we beating after the Gold Coast game? We probably won't be favourites again until round 10. All of which would be more acceptable if we had more kids in the side. The other teams that aren't playing a teenager this weekend made finals last year. We won two games against teams that finished above us while finishing third-to-last.
And, when Kent, Long, Lonie and Parker force all those turnovers, who is it that's going to respond to all those 'Clean up on aisle 3' notifications of the spillages?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Qualities people (as in those outside the club, fans etc.) rate..

We can only see the external stuff and use that as a representation of what we think are 'qualities' but I'd say...

1) Team selection that has proven to be good, in weekly personnel choices, game day position and rotation choices and changes
2) A degree of belief in a game plan and not over-reacting to media and outside pressure
3) Notwithsatnding (2), a degree of flexibility..if something is clearly not working, we have a response
4) A believable and genuine public persona
5) Signs that players are behind the coach.
6) Signs of synergy between all the other coaches and auxiliary staff. (I really don't know how this is obvious...it seems that we can only see it when the opposite happens and things 'blow up'!

But number one is WINS, WINS, WINS....we are like dogs I think...and when we hear the food tin, the leache or the car come up the drive it's all good. When no ones home, its sulk, groan and bark.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
freely
SS Hall of Fame

From my recollection, for much of last season, Richo's gameplan succeeded in getting us plenty of shots on goal - but then the players had the collective yips. So - whatever that quality was that got us into positions to kick for goal - I rate that.

But whatever that quality was that gave our forwards such a complete lack of confidence, I don't rate that so much.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 1:00am From my recollection, for much of last season, Richo's gameplan succeeded in getting us plenty of shots on goal - but then the players had the collective yips. So - whatever that quality was that got us into positions to kick for goal - I rate that.

But whatever that quality was that gave our forwards such a complete lack of confidence, I don't rate that so much.
Right.
Easy to forget actually. We did a lot of good things last year statistically. Contested ball wins? Clearances, and we were bad at finishing sometimes and then just shocking at goal kicking. These things give me hope for this season. Many of the commentators bashed us for throwing in the towel sometimes but as Chris Scott says, 'I believe most AFL footballers try hard all the time in games' and maybe we were really trying even if the manic thing fell away.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:03pm We really bombed last year and yet our key players stayed.

When Carlton bombed under Malthouse players ran despite Malthouse being a multiple flag coach.

There is a real relationship and trust between coach and players at the Saints which is so important to success.

Relationship between Richo and the players is key and my understanding is we have it in spades.
Name one good player who ran from Carlton in 2015?????
Just one.
Gibbs left after 2016 which was Bolton's first year.

This makes no sense. Players stay at bottom 5 clubs because they get paid well. If they went to a top 5 club they would be paid less.
This is simply a fact.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I appreciate Richos consistency. He never changes no matter how bad things get.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:31pm Obviously this is a bit of a sensitive topic here but Serious question... no trolling.

Many ppl like myself have been very vocal about what we think is not working, Richo does however have a lot of defenders here.

As part of forming a more measured and/or balance view, I’d like to read about his positive qualities and the things he does/is doing well.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks heaps for starting this thread Skeppers. It's so refreshing to see a thread like this to challenge the sanctioned proxy agenda of sustained and relentless bullying of club officials. As you know the new regime and his rules now make it harder to counter these quasi bullies because ironically they can be banned for offering an opposite and comnemsureate counter argument, even if the counter is presented in the same clever disguise of appearing measured, calm and without abuse. You can even be labelled a troll by these posters if you dare persist with said equal counter argument.

So good on you for being the fair, objective and thoroughly knowledgable beacon of football and for trying to balance the bullying of club officials.

aaron82
Club Player

Lachie Henderson and Zach Tuohy have been pretty handy players to request a trade from Carlton in recent times

and that's the bottom line
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 9:50am
skeptic wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:31pm Obviously this is a bit of a sensitive topic here but Serious question... no trolling.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks heaps for starting this thread Skeppers. It's so refreshing to see a thread like this to challenge the sanctioned proxy agenda of sustained and relentless bullying of club officials. As you know the new regime and his rules now make it harder to counter these quasi bullies because ironically they can be banned for offering an opposite and comnemsureate counter argument, even if the counter is presented in the same clever disguise of appearing measured, calm and without abuse. You can even be labelled a troll by these posters if you dare persist with said equal counter argument.

So good on you for being the fair, objective and thoroughly knowledgable beacon of football and for trying to balance the bullying of club officials.
How about you drop the sarcasm and actually try and stay on topic. Don't be scared. I won't laugh at your counter argument. No one has ridiculed any one elses responses have they?

Other posters have given thoughtful responses so why don't you tell us in your opinion, what you see as Richo's strengths. What are the qualities you like and respect in our senior coach. If I recall, you always seem to evade these questions.

I personally like the fact that he's open, honest and willing to learn from his mistakes. I have always stated that ALL coaches learn on the job and improve from year to year. My concerns with Richo is that time is running out and he needs wins to secure any chance of retaining his job. One of the qualities that others provided where they see that Richo is liked, is actually a weakness imo, because tha coach doesn't need to be their friend. He's liked because he's not ruthless enough and hard enough on his players

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

GilsAuPair wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:04am
Shaggy wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:03pm We really bombed last year and yet our key players stayed.

Name one good player who ran from Carlton in 2015?????
Just one.
Gibbs left after 2016 which was Bolton's first year.

This makes no sense. Players stay at bottom 5 clubs because they get paid well. If they went to a top 5 club they would be paid less.
This is simply a fact.
Don't know about 2015, but there was a period in which they haemorraged players.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 12:01pm

Thanks in advance.

How about you drop the sarcasm and actually try and stay on topic. Don't be scared. I won't laugh at your counter argument. No one has ridiculed any one elses responses have they?

Other posters have given thoughtful responses so why don't you tell us in your opinion, what you see as Richo's strengths. What are the qualities you like and respect in our senior coach. If I recall, you always seem to evade these questions.

I personally like the fact that he's open, honest and willing to learn from his mistakes. I have always stated that ALL coaches learn on the job and improve from year to year. My concerns with Richo is that time is running out and he needs wins to secure any chance of retaining his job. One of the qualities that others provided where they see that Richo is liked, is actually a weakness imo, because tha coach doesn't need to be their friend. He's liked because he's not ruthless enough and hard enough on his players
I didn't think you were allowed to comment on other posters. With regards to evasion I have nothing.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Richo is very highly respected by the majority of players.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 12:58pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 12:01pm

Thanks in advance.

I didn't think you were allowed to comment on other posters. With regards to evasion I have nothing.
Cairnsman - please re-read the rules. You can comment about posters but it is HOW you make those comments. Respectful comments and arguments are permissible. Even some harmless banter. But negative attacks are not.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Myron Gaines
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 1:04pm Richo is very highly respected by the majority of players.
How would you know?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 1:04pm Richo is very highly respected by the majority of players.
This is an extremely broad statement but one that appears based on first hand account.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

Which players make the majority that highly respect Richo?

Which make up the minority who do not respect him highly?

Of the majority, what aspects of his coaching and him as a person do they highly respect?

Is it uniform qualities or is it different things per player?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:39pm
This is an extremely broad statement but one that appears based on first hand account.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

Which players make the majority that highly respect Richo?

Which make up the minority who do not respect him highly?

Of the majority, what aspects of his coaching and him as a person do they highly respect?

Is it uniform qualities or is it different things per player?
I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BRETT RATTEN.....

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 23 Mar 2019 3:50pm
I can confirm he is widely respected. Regarded as a good coach but does get things wrong. Who's perfect.
The worst performed coach in the history of the AFL still coaching because his contract was extended when it clearly should not have been.
He is now going into his sixth season as "coach" with the worst record in AFL history at around 33% win/loss ratio.

Alan Richardson is desperately trying to hold onto his gig as an AFL coach and decisions are being made for the short term at the expense of the longer term.
I firmly believe Richardson is the kryptonite that sucks the life and energy out of the playing group.
It must be so uninspiring listening to his monotone drone year in year out.
Knowing he is in the crosshairs would understandably compromise his decision making.
I also believe this uncertainty and fear around losing his job would energetically be effecting the playing group.
The players confidence and decision making, goal kicking and skill execution would be affected by having a coach in this precarious predicament permeating the whole environment of the football club.

I do not believe Alan Richardson is suited to being a senior coach.
IMHO, it's not in his DNA to be a leader of men.
His communication skills seem to be limited to trite cliche's and he seems to me to be a follower of trends and incapable of innovation.

After five years as senior coach with a 33% win loss ratio, it's an inditement on the competence of those charged with making decisions that he is still there going into a sixth season.
People have bemoaned and complained about there being a lack of leadership within the playing group.
After five seasons and six preseasons who is to blame for this?

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.