New Coach by Round.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: New Coach by Round.....

Won't be long if he continues picking the wrong side on Thursday night.
21 out of 22 games last year selection was baffling, and he started true to form last Thursday.
Yes, trying to get my head around how the club can afford NOT to get games into a prospect as good as Marshall - or Clark or Acres for that matter. Richo needs to find a way to get him in.

He certainly has his favourites and I’m not sure that sort of selection policy is conducive to getting our best team on the park.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Round one done which was a must win for Richo. We fell arse backwards over the line against the worst team in the comp so he probably won't be too comfortable.
Had we lost he would be gone sooner.

Now the real work begins. Bombers coming off a bad game will want to lift and we must appear to be the perfect game for them.
Good news was our defence did the best they could but let's be real they weren't great. Thanks joyce but step aside for brown please. Also hunter Clarke to come in for Dunstan I guess. Yes he did some good things but not a lot of them. do we make three changes and bring in Marshall to ruck?

st sandy
Club Player

I don't fully understand the love for Brett Ratten after one game. Appears to me all the positive outcomes including team selection is due to Ratten...anything negative falls to Richo

Correct me if i am wrong, Ratten's role at the minute is the forward line coach & overall ball movement.
I thought that generally the entries into the forward 50 were poor yesterday - we continued to bomb it long & high when we were outmarked so many times & appeared not interested to lower the eyes & hit a moving target
Surely Ratten has to take some responsibility for that

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Maybe Tony75 can shed some light on exactly how many people are involved in selection but why do people not realise that team selection at an AFL standard is made up of several people. All the coaches would be involved.

Even at a local footy club they have multiple selectors to make up a firsts side.

Solely blaming Richo for selections is just that...total BS.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

st sandy wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 12:37pm I don't fully understand the love for Brett Ratten after one game. Appears to me all the positive outcomes including team selection is due to Ratten...anything negative falls to Richo

Correct me if i am wrong, Ratten's role at the minute is the forward line coach & overall ball movement.
I thought that generally the entries into the forward 50 were poor yesterday - we continued to bomb it long & high when we were outmarked so many times & appeared not interested to lower the eyes & hit a moving target
Surely Ratten has to take some responsibility for that
That's a fair comment. Ratten is indeed responsible for the forwards and ball movement but, based on what I saw in the Intraclub and also yesterday - when we're we're challenged - we largely revert to type, which in our case is, get it and bomb it in high to the forwards. That's a function of below average skill by foot (yes, I'm looking at you Ross and Dunstan). The main difference between 2018 and yesterday was that Bruce was there to clunk a few (also, tellingly in defence deep in the last). It's also one of the reasons as to why not playing Marshall is bizarre. Had Paddy been fit - they undoubtedly would have played him (leaving 1 marking forward deep when Bruce went into the ruck). Instead - they played someone else meaning no tall forwards deep to compete.

Marshall is a baffling non-selection. He is a natural marking forward and shows more aptitude rucking than Bruce ever will. Rucking Marshall when Pierce was off would've meant Bruce could've still competed deep forward. It's almost like our nutso Match Committee thinks only one ruck can play. As Jaxsons mentioned - the Dawks play McEvoy and Ceglar together.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

A few teams were playing two rucks at the weekend, Port notably.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Marshall looked just likely for the games he played last year and showed something in 2 JLT games why all of a sudden is he a walk up inclusion

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:14pm Marshall looked just likely for the games he played last year and showed something in 2 JLT games why all of a sudden is he a walk up inclusion
Marshall is easily in the best 22 and one of the best tall options at the club, if not the best.

It's madness to not play him and reeks of cluelessness by Alan Richardson and the match committee.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
damienc
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 6:31pm
One Eyed Saint wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 3:33pm 10

And that’s probably being a little generous.

He could be done by round 6-8 if we haven’t won a game.

Bring on change and a new coach.
Just another barracker who wants us to lose so they feel justified....
I think the self righteous tone of your post frankly doesn't help.

It is not a measure of disloyalty to criticise our footy club and its coach and team selections at times.

Our track record of performance speaks for itself. One premiership and a season from hell last year.

Everyone on this forum loves the Saints. But it's tough love. It has to be.

And loyalty, I'm sorry to have to tell you, is a two way street.

I am looking forward to this week's game as a sign we have turned things around as a footy club and are now heading in a positive direction.

But I won't be holding my breath for it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:41pm

It is not a measure of disloyalty to criticise our footy club and its coach and team selections at times.

Our track record of performance speaks for itself. One premiership and a season from hell last year.

I am looking forward to this week's game as a sign we have turned things around as a footy club and are now heading in a positive direction.

It is not the criticism that I find disloyal, it is the over the top abuse of club officials. Things are said on here and offensive name calling that would never be said to these officials face to face.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

damienc wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:41pm

You're on track to becoming my favourite poster.
Very nicely said, sir.

Historically, our club has a tendency to be the perfect team to play after a side like the Injectors has an embarrassing loss.
We've been possibly overconfident and complacent, and a team comes back and beats us.
Happens all the time.

This week's preparation will determine if we revert to type and bend over meekly, or...
Drive another stake through the heart of the Injectors.
Hope it's the latter.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 12:57pm Maybe Tony75 can shed some light on exactly how many people are involved in selection but why do people not realise that team selection at an AFL standard is made up of several people. All the coaches would be involved.

Even at a local footy club they have multiple selectors to make up a firsts side.

As I understand it the role of the selectors is really to give the coach the team he wants. Sure, they can advise, persuade, suggest ... but the buck stops with the senior coach.

If Richo is not insisting on getting the team he wants, he is GORN imo. It’s his job on the line after all

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigcarl wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:12pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 12:57pm Maybe Tony75 can shed some light on exactly how many people are involved in selection but why do people not realise that team selection at an AFL standard is made up of several people. All the coaches would be involved.

As I understand it the role of the selectors is really to give the coach the team he wants. Sure, they can advise, persuade, suggest ... but the buck stops with the senior coach.

If Richo is not insisting on getting the team he wants, he is GORN imo. It’s his job on the line after all
Geez...
In a previous job, I was on a committee each month for a few years, and it was far more democratic than you suggest.
Stuff was discussed and we put forth our points of view...
I think you have it wrong.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:12pm

Correct.

People already forgotten the Essendon drug scandal? This is why Hird was pilloried like he was. The club can give him (the coach) any title they want, make up any matrix they want, but the buck stops with the coach. Any coach worth his salt knows that. Nothing happens in a team without the coach's approval whether it be tacit or direct. It's the coach's head on the block so he always has the most influence (or should have most influence) at team selection. If Hird didn't want the players taking supplements, he would have said. If he was indifferent as he claims, and they were found to be illegal, he gets the chop. If Dunstan, Ross, Battle etc get picked and play poorly causing us to lose, it's the coach that wears the heat - no-one else. No-one ever says sack the match committee. It's not a democracy team selection. The others are there to lobby, persuade,advise, but the coach should ALWAYS go with the team he wants.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'll give you an example.

Scenario A)
Richo might say, 'Gee I thought that Dunstan looked slow on the weekend, decision making was ordinary, let's have a look at bringing Acres in.' Member of match committee says, 'defensively he was really good. His opponent had nil effect on the game, when the game was on the line he stepped up. I reckon we need his experience. Give him another week.'

Coach takes this advice on board because coach respects the opinion of the person talking to him. Others (whom he also respects) also agree with committee man. Coach elects to go with what they are saying.

Scenario B) Richo says, 'Nope, I can't have him in my team making those turnovers. I need more run and carry. Acres was great for Sandy. I want him in. I hear what you're all saying but I'm over ruling.'

That's how a selection committee should work. Coach surrounds himself with ppl he respects, not yes men (or women) . People who aren't afraid to express their opinions and tell the coach he is wrong, but also respect the position of the coach.

Footnote - examples are purely hypothetical. I have no idea how anyone went on the weekend. First time in 12 years I missed the game on TV or live. Dunstan may have smashed it for all I know :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 10:58pm
saynta wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 10:12pm
jaxons wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 4:52pm
fugazi wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 4:40pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 4:30pm The board won't sack after a win.
It will take 4 embarassing losses before they act.

So that means just after Round 5.
if it is inevitable, why wait?
In fact why didn't we do it last year.
It cost us any interest from decent players looking to return to Vic.....who wants to come to an Alan led side?
Hanners, and we know how that has gone.

Lets just show some balls, and thank Alan for his contribution, but it is clearly not going to turn around under his leadership...Brett Ratten, you're in charge.
Won't be long if he continues picking the wrong side on Thursday night.
21 out of 22 games last year selection was baffling, and he started true to form last Thursday.
I have seen enough of Bruce in the ruck....ENOUGH!
How Marshall is not in this team is beyond belief.
How Acres and Clark are not in also defies logic.
You can play Pierce and Marshall in same team you know, Hawks do it with McEvoy and Ceglar.
Geary also should not be allowed near the backline again because his kicking is atrocious.
Play him as a lock down midfield tagger, that is his go.
I would think all ITK's are aware that Acres was too underdone to be picked this week.
Had more match practice than Steven and McKenzie who both were picked today.
Played for Sandy the day we played Bulldogs in JLT and in our intra club FYI.
Steven and McKenzie both had their first hitout today.
Steven is a walk up start even if he hasn't trained due to his career performance.
FYI we played in the side today the following players; Webster, Savage, Geary, McKenzie, Joyce, Wilkie, Newnes.
Although Joyce played Key position, and Newnes played midfield they are all half back flankers.
Then we have Gresham, Lonie, Long, Billings, Sinclair, Kent, Parker, and although Billings and Sinclair play midfield, they are all small forward types.
It is a joke the structure of our team.
Marshall must play and with Pierce so Bruce can stay forward.
We are far too small and with so many of the same type of players it is emabrassing to our recruitment dept the composition of our list.
Thats why Acres and Clark must play also, they are taller and different.
We are as boring and unimaginative as our coach talking.
Crikey!

Off to the gulag for a Siberian winters holiday...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

6 I heard.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
guitars4
Club Player

I thought he was Tony74 has he had a birthday?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 10:34pm

I thought he was Tony74 has he had a birthday?
:lol: :lol:

The Recruit
Club Player

Round 14

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if Richo goes this year. He might keep coaching into next year. There was a time in May/June last year when he looked so despondant I could have sworn he was a dead man walking, but perhaps the club is scheming and there is a succession plan in place that will have ALL Saints fans rejoicing...

This is close to pure fantasy and my conspiracy theories have a pretty low hit rate, but here's hoping

There were some threads with some speculation regarding changing coaches at the end of 2017 and preseason in January/Feb 2018. I hope that Richo and Ratts are filling in time and we'll have Clarko coaching us in 2021.

How good would that be? It'll be our Malcolm Blight moment except that we'll retain the coach and he'll lead us to the promised land. Halelluja....Halelluja