Changes for bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

scallopsroe
Club Player

Re: Changes for bombers

Reminder to some of the"experts" Pierce has played only 6 games and was a lone ruckman yesterday. This was an unreasonable task for a young ruck, terrible selection decision to have only one ruckman and ask your only tall forward to help out when Big Lewie was taking a spell. The Suns had both Witts and Wright, 81 and 50 games respectively. Before you go potting Big Lewie, how about focusing on the flawed and failed one ruck policy we have had under Richo. Go in with one ruckman next week against the Bombers and we will get belted.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

scallopsroe wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:17pm Reminder to some of the"experts" Pierce has played only 6 games and was a lone ruckman yesterday. This was an unreasonable task for a young ruck, terrible selection decision to have only one ruckman and ask your only tall forward to help out when Big Lewie was taking a spell. The Suns had both Witts and Wright, 81 and 50 games respectively. Before you go potting Big Lewie, how about focusing on the flawed and failed one ruck policy we have had under Richo. Go in with one ruckman next week against the Bombers and we will get belted.
Is that because Richo believes our mids can shark hit-outs, and an extra ruck is just a liability?
Like, they can't offer much around the ground?
Sure, Longer and Hickey can't mark at all,
but Pierce and Marshall are better than those 2,
and we should never burn out Bruce. That's insanity.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Winmar7
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:19pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:02pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 8:33pm Wilkie will play without doubt. He looked very comfortable.
Who does Brown replace?
I reckon speed and good intercepting marking will be front and center this week so does Brown fit the bill? It wont surprise me if Wilkie and Battle are our new poster boys in the backline by years end and Brown is struggling for a game. Isn't that what our development needs?
agreed, so I think Dunstan misses out, Hind must be a chance (and would love to debut against his former team), perhaps Phillips too..?

realdeal
Club Player

scallopsroe wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:17pm Reminder to some of the"experts" Pierce has played only 6 games and was a lone ruckman yesterday. This was an unreasonable task for a young ruck, terrible selection decision to have only one ruckman and ask your only tall forward to help out when Big Lewie was taking a spell. The Suns had both Witts and Wright, 81 and 50 games respectively. Before you go potting Big Lewie, how about focusing on the flawed and failed one ruck policy we have had under Richo. Go in with one ruckman next week against the Bombers and we will get belted.
Here here..

We were already short a key forward and then we go back to Bruce the ruck back up again. This hasn't worked for years now, a couple of mins maybe but not all back up mins. It also often results in Bruce losing confidence up fwd aswell.

The benefit of Marshall is that he can play fwd, ruck and even help out in defense if really required..

SMS
Club Player

If Dunstan plays over clark/acres I wont even watch.
Boycott will begin.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SMS wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:53pm If Dunstan plays over clark/acres I wont even watch.
Boycott will begin.
I'm not sure you'll be alone. It's bloody hard to get the supporters back when they see ongoing incompetence. I applaud Luke's desperation when it counted most in the final minute but, it's the stuff he does/doesn't do in the previous 119 mins that kills me. He's slow, can't run both ways in transition and his Ross' kicking skills (PS - that's not a compliment). I want for him to be better but my gut is that he was (a) the big bodied dominant bull at U/18 level (ahem, Paddy) or (b) he's got the attributes but has been poorly coached.

His career at St K is a cross roads for sure this season - he really needs to excel but I'm just not sure he's got the tools.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:53pm If Dunstan plays over clark/acres I wont even watch.
Boycott will begin.

Dunstan's effort in the dying seconds of the GC game saved any chance of a final GC score.

Clark was average through the JLT. Ok in the first game but given extended time through the centre. Acres coming back from injury.

Seems like it's a matter of time if a minor selection difference of opinion forces you not to watch...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 4:15pm
Boycott will begin.

Dunstan's effort in the dying seconds of the GC game saved any chance of a final GC score.

Clark was average through the JLT. Ok in the first game but given extended time through the centre. Acres coming back from injury.

Seems like it's a matter of time if a minor selection difference of opinion forces you not to watch...
Clark was excellent in the intraclub, very good in the JLT and excellent on Saturday for Sandy.
Acres needs another run with Sandy. He got a lot of it, but looked underdone on Saturday.
Marshall completely dominated.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:36pm I love watching Long and he's a gun - but he should probably be out, disciplined.
If the coach and selectors had balls they'd do it

jaxons
Club Player

Why can't Pierce and Marshall play in same team?
Why does Josh Bruce ruck?
Look at some other teams makeup over the weekend.

Collingwood - Cox and Grundy
Brisbane - Martin and McInerney
West Coast - Vardy and Hickey
Hawthorn - McEvoy and Ceglar
Port - Ryder and Lycett
Melbourne this week will play Gawn and Preuss

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 6:58pm Why can't Pierce and Marshall play in same team?

Port - Ryder and Lycett
Just going out on a limb here but that list of ruckman mostly selects itself based on the caliber of stock.

I think even in country footy they like to select players that are ready to play.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who wants to drop Kent on form should look at his first half on Harbrow again. He pulled up sore but if it's not an injury he should play next week.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:52pm Anyone who wants to drop Kent on form should look at his first half on Harbrow again. He pulled up sore but if it's not an injury he should play next week.
Yeah Harbrow getting a few touches late coincided with the Suns getting at us for the second time in the game.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 2:39pm
Here here..

We were already short a key forward and then we go back to Bruce the ruck back up again. This hasn't worked for years now, a couple of mins maybe but not all back up mins. It also often results in Bruce losing confidence up fwd aswell.

The benefit of Marshall is that he can play fwd, ruck and even help out in defense if really required..
It has seemed like a no brainer for a while now

jaxons
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:10pm
jaxons wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 6:58pm Why can't Pierce and Marshall play in same team?

Port - Ryder and Lycett
Just going out on a limb here but that list of ruckman mostly selects itself based on the caliber of stock.

I think even in country footy they like to select players that are ready to play.
Not sure Hickey, McInrney and Preuss pick themselves.
More about structure those teams want to play.
We have never tried it, why not use some imagination and give it a go.
Change things up a bit, we do the same thing every week, clearly its not working.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

We need Marshall in at the expense of one of the smaller forwards. Pearce isn't up to it yet being a sole FT ruck. His lack of games showed on Sunday but there is plenty to work with. He is big and physical.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:52pm Anyone who wants to drop Kent on form should look at his first half on Harbrow again. He pulled up sore but if it's not an injury he should play next week.
Kent was serviceable and maybe close but should retain his spot.

Kent doesn’t look like as accumulator of possession, but his left boot is a decent weapon when he times it well.

If he is playing a more accountable role I agree with your comments.

Let’s give it a couple of weeks but he might struggle once Acres is fit, Clark finds form and if Young continues to fire at Sandy.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:41pm We need Marshall in at the expense of one of the smaller forwards. Pearce isn't up to it yet being a sole FT ruck. His lack of games showed on Sunday but there is plenty to work with. He is big and physical.
Marshall for Kent?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:29pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:10pm

Port - Ryder and Lycett

Not sure Hickey, McInrney and Preuss pick themselves.
More about structure those teams want to play.
We have never tried it, why not use some imagination and give it a go.
Change things up a bit, we do the same thing every week, clearly its not working.
Totally disagree and suggest you are stuck in the past, many things were done differently in yesterdays game and it is highly possible the coaches would
love to pick two prototype rucks but the stock isn't available, Our number 1 ruckman isn't available and the second banana is still a work in progress. Imagination for selection is something they possibly still use in country football.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Long or Lonie before Kent. Kent was brilliant on Sunday and snuffed out Harbrow.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Did somebody say Clark for Kent?

But seriously.

Whilst I'm not a fan of Brown, given we're without the experience of Carslile and Roberton I feel he must come in, probably at the expense of Joyce or Wilke.

The club keeps recruiting tall forwards like Paddy, King, Battle and Marshall so please tell me they have a 'tall forward game plan'. Asking either Pierce or Marshall to play the solo ruck role is suicidal given they're both inexperienced kids. Marshall should come in at the expense of a small forward. Gresham is a lock, and Parker was quick, aggressive and effective so they stay. So it's Kent, Lonie or Long that should make way.

Acres is potentially a young bull in the mold of Fyffe or Cripps and could be a potential superstar, it would be good to squeeze him into the team. Contrary to many here, I believe Dunstan is an important in-and-under player a bit like Luke Ball and important to the team, especially a losing ruck. Sinclair, Savage and McKenzie are at risk, of these I like McKenzie, so I'd tolerate swapping a fit Acres for either of the other two, or even one of those small forwards.

Clark looks like a wingman with poise, a Dal Santo type but I'm not sure we should make too many changes to a winning team.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2019 8:33pm Wilkie will play without doubt. He looked very comfortable.
Is going to have a long career with us, starting now.

An excellent find.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I thought Kent offered something in the contest.

He makes things happens; even when he's not shining. I like his bull-at-gate-style. He's always forcing problems.

If he can get his hands on the footy a bit more, he could be very valuable. Stays in for mine.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 10:44am
Scollop wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:34am I don't know him and I don't know anyone that knows him, so this is only a question and I'm not making any accusations, but there was talk that Saints had a few players that like to party hard.
Pure speculation with no basis in fact to back it up.
My information on this wasn't so much that they were "partying hard" - that implies binge activities after dark, and I haven't seen too many of our players doing that.

I think the issue is more about the total commitment and professionalism to training and self-improvement.

I noticed that everyone was gaffawing at Nathan Brown's pre-season, and how amazing it was. That set alarm bells off in my head - because what Brown was only doing what is normal at the rest of the competition in 2019.

We tended to foster more of a clock-on, clock-off attitude in recent years, where you'd do the bare minimum to survive, while the other clubs have inverted that model and had players always pushing to exceed and excel where they could. They just cared so much about winning and having pride in their results that it filtered into how they lived their lives and their training habits.

There's been talk of a better pre-season, but hell - we're not leading the competition in terms of fitness, like Lethlean claims. We might, at best, be just getting back to the middle of the back.

The Recruit
Club Player

Out Joyce In Brown
Out Dunstan In Clark
Out Kent In Acres