Simon (Lethlean) says...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simon (Lethlean) says...

The more i see and hear of him , the more he reminds me of tony montana.

In red white and black from 73
Sanctorum
Club Player

Damien Barrett has a long record, along with several other media reporters, of sticking the knife into the Saints over many years. So I think his opinion on the Hanneberry trade lacks credibility and objectivity and should be ignored.

Hanneberry is not the first elite footballer to cross over to another club and have his debut delayed due to injury and I feel that he deserves the chance to get back to full fitness and contribute to the team's success, I have not the slightest doubt that he will prove to be a real asset!

Watching the replay of the game last Sunday I felt the Saints were the better team on the day - the team from 2018 would not have got the same result. We shouldn't forget that the Suns are going to be far more competitive this year, they have a very talented list and should not be under-estimated.

For me the highlight was the improvement in teamwork, and the energy of individuals such as Jack Newnes who arguably played his best game for years - he is so important to this team. And it's great to have Josh Bruce back in fine form, the spark from Matty Parker and attack on the ball by Ben Long, the emergence of Darragh Joyce as a genuine running defender, and much more.

The game against the Bombers should be a beauty as they'll be fired up to reverse their pathetic effort against the Giants, they're favoured to win but I am confident that the Saints have the team and game plan to come out on top.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:14pm Damien Barrett has a long record, along with several other media reporters, of sticking the knife into the Saints over many years. So I think his opinion on the Hanneberry trade lacks credibility and objectivity and should be ignored.
But it is already objectively correct because Hannebery is missing at least the first month of the season.
Barrett's motivations or past history are not relevant.
On this particular issue, on the facts available, at this moment in time, he is objectively correct.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 7:58pm I just came from Chemist Warehouse and I discovered you can buy Valium in 1kg bucket size.

Anyone want me to grab a few buckets for the journey ahead?
Put me down for a bucket, cheers.

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Barrett is a flog.

Seriously, quite floggish.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:27pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:14pm Damien Barrett has a long record, along with several other media reporters, of sticking the knife into the Saints over many years. So I think his opinion on the Hanneberry trade lacks credibility and objectivity and should be ignored.
But it is already objectively correct because Hannebery is missing at least the first month of the season.
On this particular issue, on the facts available, at this moment in time, he is objectively correct.
He is still pleasuring himself sticking the boot or knife into the saints. An absolute asswipe.

The story is a beatup, a non story.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I love the thinking on here...

All journos have a vendetta against us
All commentators hate us
All umpires are bias against us
The AFL doesn’t care about us

:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:50pm I love the thinking on here...

All journos have a vendetta against us
All commentators hate us
All umpires are bias against us
The AFL doesn’t care about us

:roll:
Yep. You got that right. :D :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:14pm Damien Barrett has a long record, along with several other media reporters, of sticking the knife into the Saints....
Speaking of sticking the knife in...

Remember in 2015 when Carlton were a team struggling to work out were they sat in terms of topping up or doing a full rebuild and they had players deserting the club left right and centre. Mick Malthouse was under a lot of pressure as the losses mounted. I reckon the Carlton board finally admitted to themselves that they needed a rebuild and Mick was told internally that he was not going to be the guy at the helm for the next 5 years. So what did he do....

Mick Malthouse started swinging and there were a few casualties including the bloke who probably broke the news to him that they wouldn't be renewing his contract any time soon. He threw Steven Trigg under a bus when he realised his time was up and went on radio and made the revelation that Eddie Betts move to Adelaide was engineered a long time before the actual trade. The AFL launched an investigation into Trigg and the Adelaide FC and they had Trigg under a blowtorch for a little while there.

Did Alan Richardson just do exactly the same thing to Lethlean?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:47pm
GilsAuPair wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 10:27pm
He is still pleasuring himself sticking the boot or knife into the saints. An absolute asswipe.

The story is a beatup, a non story.
I dont even know that what the story is. I dont watch his tv shows or read his articles.

But I do know Hanners aint on the park.

lewdogs
Club Player

Lethlean brought in the bloke that just got us Matt Parker and Callum Wilkie. How'd they go on the weekend?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:30pm Lethlean brought in the bloke that just got us Matt Parker and Callum Wilkie. How'd they go on the weekend?
Good pick ups.

But a derivative connection to Lethers.

The whole AFL has shifted towards more mature age recruits which is a good thing.

lewdogs
Club Player

GilsAuPair wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:39pm
lewdogs wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:30pm Lethlean brought in the bloke that just got us Matt Parker and Callum Wilkie. How'd they go on the weekend?
Good pick ups.

The whole AFL has shifted towards more mature age recruits which is a good thing.
Lethlean was part of their recruitment. He was in the room when we recruited them.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:43pm
GilsAuPair wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:39pm
Good pick ups.

Lethlean was part of their recruitment. He was in the room when we recruited them.
Chris Liberatore is National Recruiting Manager

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 7:54pm
Sainternist wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 7:33pm
saint-stu wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 7:23pm What exactly have we given up for Hannebury? It seems like very little to me and he could still work out.
We got Hannebery and pick No. 28 in the draft in exchange for pick No. 39 (acquired from WCE) a future second-round selection.

But the real problem was giving him a 5-year-contract for around $800,000 /season. I mean, WTF?!?!
Who cares?
"Who cares?" - That is your response?!?! We're paying a guy $800,000 a year for five years who has a broken body and an alleged cocaine addiction. At the moment he seems to have gone into hiding, yet some people on here think he'll be fine by round 6. Did you notice how vague the reports have been on his injury? Meanwhile, Sydney and the rest of the league is laughing at us.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So you know who spotted Parker? I doubt it was the List Manager and it certainly was not Lethers.

The List Manager (who is meant to be focused on contracts and not talent spotting) probably had a a bit to do with Wilkie but I suspect Parker was more our actual recruiting guys.

Lethers made the made the call re Hanners despite the family connection. There is good reason why people are meant to exclude themselves when they have a "conflict of interest."

As it stands at present I would strongly suspect that the players where our actual recruiters had the most say seem more likely to deliver more value for the draft pick/trade/$$ they cost.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 12:26am

So you know who spotted Parker? I doubt it was the List Manager and it certainly was not Lethers.

The List Manager (who is meant to be focused on contracts and not talent spotting) probably had a a bit to do with Wilkie but I suspect Parker was more our actual recruiting guys.

Lethers made the made the call re Hanners despite the family connection. There is good reason why people are meant to exclude themselves when they have a "conflict of interest."

As it stands at present I would strongly suspect that the players where our actual recruiters had the most say seem more likely to deliver more value for the draft pick/trade/$$ they cost.
What is the family connection?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Personal connections to family through amateur footy and Simon being mates with Dan's old man

"... given footy boss Simon Lethlean’s personal connections with him through Xavier College"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/lacks- ... 13c6abbf4c

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 1:29am Personal connections to family through amateur footy and Simon being mates with Dan's old man

"... given footy boss Simon Lethlean’s personal connections with him through Xavier College"

Lethlean played for Old X but didnt go to Xavier.

damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 6:52pm Ted, why do you need to be an apologist for every decision and mistake made by the St.K F.C. ?

It doesn't sound like you are being very objective and in fact it sounds like you’re a bit compromised.
Lose the references to 'sounds like' and apologist.

Way too tame. IMO.

Insert ....' forum spin doctor' and ' club propagandist'.

Fixed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully Dan is just on the gear again and he’ll pull his head in - then it may all work out.

If we didn’t have Hanners we’d Ben playing blokes like Ross and Newnes $100K per bloody tackle.

That’s the reality....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 6:38am
Scollop wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 1:29am Personal connections to family through amateur footy and Simon being mates with Dan's old man

Lethlean played for Old X but didnt go to Xavier.
Yes, I know. My sentence clearly states they knew each other thru amateur footy (Old Xavs)

The quote was directly from the Fox Sports article. The journo should have worded it better

lewdogs
Club Player

I just don't get how it's a bust because Hannebery is missing the start of the season. If at the end of the year he hasn't played a game, then ask the questions. If in two years he looks cooked, then ask. Why beat yourself up with conspiracy theories about Lethlean when for all you know Hannebery could come good. At which stage we will be praising Lethlean for getting him in.

Just seem some supporters relish in the 'glass half smashed' approach. In my eyes, Lethlean has been a revelation for the club.

Also, it's so hyporcritical how posters will say "we are a s*** club we've only won one premiership in 100 years" then also say "why bring in a bloke from outside that has no passion for the club". Do people not get how hypocritical that is? The club just can't win in your eyes.

damienc
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:52am I just don't get how it's a bust because Hannebery is missing the start of the season. If at the end of the year he hasn't played a game, then ask the questions. If in two years he looks cooked, then ask. Why beat yourself up with conspiracy theories about Lethlean when for all you know Hannebery could come good. At which stage we will be praising Lethlean for getting him in.

Just seem some supporters relish in the 'glass half smashed' approach. In my eyes, Lethlean has been a revelation for the club.

Also, it's so hyporcritical how posters will say "we are a s*** club we've only won one premiership in 100 years" then also say "why bring in a bloke from outside that has no passion for the club". Do people not get how hypocritical that is? The club just can't win in your eyes.
If you don't mind me saying so your post is a bit too black and white, so let me add the red.

Putting club personalities aside, the Hannebery recruitment was/is a bust. We don't have to wait two years to know it.

The evidence was there for the world to see. Hannebery was a champion. Had we got him in his prime, there'd be no argument.

He's not in his prime. Far from it.

And on the balance of probabilities will never be again. He has a banged up body. We are told that body of his won't be right until at least round 6 or 7, maybe longer.

What people on this forum get upset about with Hannebery, is the fact that all of this was obvious but we still offered him a five year deal on ridiculous money.

No other club was chasing Hannebery except us. Sydney was happy to let him go, because they already got the best of what he had to give.

The Hannebery deal makes us look desperate.

If we can get him on the park, Hannebery he might do ok for us but I wouldn't be betting the house on him playing for St Kilda at all this season.

The club has a habit of making recruitment decisions that are not very smart. Regrettably this is yet another one, in my view.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:52am I just don't get how it's a bust because Hannebery is missing the start of the season. If at the end of the year he hasn't played a game, then ask the questions. If in two years he looks cooked, then ask. Why beat yourself up with conspiracy theories about Lethlean when for all you know Hannebery could come good. At which stage we will be praising Lethlean for getting him in.
It's beyond obvious it's a total bust from the day he was recruited.

Hannebery's previous two seasons are ample evidence of this.

At 28 years of age it won't be improving.

A five year contract at $800,000 a year is way beyond ridiculous.

Why five years for a 28 year old who has been plagued with injury for over two years?

No other club was interested in him.

The deal should have been three years at $500,000 with Sydney paying out the remainder of his existing contract he had with them to free up their cap space AND St.kilda not giving away TWO second round draft picks likely to be either 19, 20 or 21 and 39 for 28.
That would have been far more shrewd and balanced.
I'd still regard his recruitment as a mistake but at least it would not be so lopsided.
As it is Sydney must be pinching themselves!

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.