Belief

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Belief

It’s a massive thing in footy !

You could see the look in they’re eye at first bounce!

All above the shoulders

#1 Ryder fan
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Belief

if they'd converted more shots, would have been 6 goals up at qtr time.
Let the injectors back in, and we only kicked 3 goals in the second half.

lost all the run and dash, or maybe bumbers were tighter on us
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 30 Mar 2019 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Premium89
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 8:51pm if they'd converted more shots, would have been 6 goals up at qtr time.
Let the injectors back in, and only kicked 2 goals in the second half, or am I wrong?
Yep - wrong. 3 goals!
7 Behinds!!!!!

Ben Dixon, come on down!!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Whatevs

I know it’s game two but to extent the bombers season was on the line. Especially if you believe the press and we are a Monty for the spoon

The saints played well

We had endeavour

We had fight

We had belief

#1 Ryder fan
BigDazzaB
Club Player

Inspiring stuff. To all the naysayers, a big fat FU

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

We lost our belief in round 2 last year in the Good Friday shocker.

Thank god we’ve found some of it again.

We willed ourselves over the line today. It was really encouraging to see.

FQF

Always loyal
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigDazzaB wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 9:40pm Inspiring stuff. To all the naysayers, a big fat FU

:D :)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigDazzaB wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2019 9:40pm Inspiring stuff. To all the naysayers, a big fat FU

For the True Believers, they are sticking it up the haters.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

There is still a bit of negativity floating about. 🧐

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Belief is everything in football, belief in yourself, belief in your team mates, your coaches, the support staff...

The 2019 Saints are a markedly better team than the 2017/18 version and although it is too soon to lift our expectations, the way they are playing right now indicates that they are not going to be easybeats. There is nothing more soul-destroying than watching your team get flogged week in, week out, as has happened in the past season and a half, which led to a lot of supporters losing faith in Alan Richardson.

Yesterday's game showed that there has been a lot of improvement in many players, which is to be expected as the recruits from 2012 on are getting more games under their belts. Jack Newnes is a vastly better player this year, as is Luke Dunstan, both are good under pressure and will become even better as the year progresses. Likewise Jack Billings and Blake Acres and then we have absolute stars in the making in Jade Gresham and Jack Steele. Josh Bruce has had 2 outstanding games and showed how important he is to this team's success. Matty Parker, need I say more?? Max King has all of the attributes of Nick Riewoldt, except he is taller and is considered to be a very good kick at goal.

So it is the depth of the St Kilda team that really impresses, with a lot of competition for almost every position on the field, something we haven't seen for years. Combine this with a revitalised Richo and some really strong assistant coaches, an elite numbers man pinched from the Hawks, a new Board led by a much younger President and we have many reasons to feel a lot better about supporting the Saints!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
damienc
Club Player

I'm not getting carried away. And neither should anyone really.

We have two wins. Infinitely better than no wins. I actually think we carried the form we displayed in the JLT into the regular season.

This is an improved footy team on 2018 based on those four games. But we need to keep improving. So no major corners have been turned because the measuring stick is too small.

Fremantle will be a test. Being an away game shouldn't be a factor or an excuse.

I think we can look forward to the Dockers with quiet optimism.

But this footy team has a past habit of pulling the rug from under supporters just when they are starting to hope.

So quiet optimism is the order of the day I reckon.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 5:21pm I'm not getting carried away. And neither should anyone really.

We have two wins. Infinitely better than no wins. I actually think we carried the form we displayed in the JLT into the regular season.

This is an improved footy team on 2018 based on those four games. But we need to keep improving. So no major corners have been turned because the measuring stick is too small.

Fremantle will be a test. Being an away game shouldn't be a factor or an excuse.

But this footy team has a past habit of pulling the rug from under supporters just when they are starting to hope.

Agreed.
Sample size is way too small.
I would also suggest JLT might not be taken as seriously by other teams, perhaps.
Bombers were lazy and thought we'd be easybeats- 2 of their guys running away to bench, and other errors, shows their heads were all over the place.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

any one watching the gold coast Vs fremantle game and thinking if we bring intensity and straighten up in front we can run through them?

Fremantle look to struggle with running pressure game that we bring

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I believe we will have a terrible year. Bottom 2

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 6:22pm any one watching the gold coast Vs fremantle game and thinking if we bring intensity and straighten up in front we can run through them?

the difference is they kick to their own players...we don't.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So who now is prepared to extend Richo’s contract further?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 6:53pm So who now is prepared to extend Richo’s contract further?
He's got a contract until 2020 and the way he's coaching at the moment we should probably lock him away for another 2. He's clearly a great development coach by looks of the improvement in so many players and his new game plan looks impressive. Can you believe the haters couldn't be free thinkers and wanted him sacked.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:05pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 6:53pm So who now is prepared to extend Richo’s contract further?
He's got a contract until 2020 and the way he's coaching at the moment we should probably lock him away for another 2. He's clearly a great development coach by looks of the improvement in so many players and his new game plan looks impressive. Can you believe the haters couldn't be free thinkers and wanted him sacked.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 6:22pm any one watching the gold coast Vs fremantle game and thinking if we bring intensity and straighten up in front we can run through them?

we'll get cruelled by the umps again.
I went to both Perth games last year, and seeing the criminal behaviour by the umps, actually live in real time, was really depressing.
One thing stood out as typical during the WCE game:
Jack Darling had the ball, we tackled him, he let go of it with one hand, and it was play on- this is a very tall guy letting it go from up high.

Anyway, they're a 4-5 goal better side at The Craypot, because of umps, home crowd noise, etc.
We'll have to minimise turnovers and be more precise and accurate.

We can do it, but we have to really play at a higher level than our last 2 games.
We need to maintain the level we had in 2nd qtr yesterday.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The Shockers ran out of legs and ideas in the last qtr they really seem an average side lol It was sunny here on the GC today but only 24 so the heat factor was zero They simply were over run by the young Suns who sniffed a chance and didn’t give up

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:34pm The Shockers ran out of legs and ideas in the last qtr they really seem an average side lol It was sunny here on the GC today but only 24 so the heat factor was zero They simply were over run by the young Suns who sniffed a chance and didn’t give up
yep they looked tired..so did their coach.

suss
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:18pm
Maybe lock away Ratts for another two years instead. 😉

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 7:18pm
In fairness Firey, this is clearly a pisstake. I think the point is to be as ridiculously over positive as the perception that ppl were overly critical.

The problem is that the majority of the criticism was actually warranted...
Now we’re in this weird spot where criticism of Richo for not playing Marshall is overly negative and lacking objectivity...
But calling him an inspired choice is well balanced and good coaching

The funny thing is that a lot of the ppl piling on don’t realise that it’s a pisstake

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Personally, I think the players in both JLT's and first 2 games seem like they are being better coached and understand the game plan and structures in place much clearer. Just an observation.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
kalsaint
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2019 5:21pm I'm not getting carried away. And neither should anyone really.

Yes I agree on most points raised here. Ross has the Dockers delivering pressure that they have demonstrated for some time so we need to sustain our own pressure.
Two things we need to repair is the bombing of the ball to forwards as Freo have height and it suits their need unless we contain the ball when it hits the ground. The second item is conversion needs to be better. We tried to go central but often ended up going closer to pockets. We need to use the angles more to move their defence. Not all the time as our foot skills aren't up to it for a full game and we end up turning it over. We have hit the pockets for years in Perth with Rooey often being caught there providing lots of points. Fraser and Kosi used to work well in Perth together. When all three went forward the ball tended to hit the ground and go central to the oppositions goal.

Collingwood do this very well at the moment. They did well in 2017 too but struggled will the accuracy of kicking to maximise the benefit. We need t be careful and ensure we hit targets thirty metres away.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency