Saints a genuine finals chance?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints a genuine finals chance?

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2019 4:42pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 10:12pm I'm tipping 9 wins, notwithstanding some close losses like yesterday. So long as we are in all our matches that will be enough of an improvement this year given our long-term injury list.
That's a fair call Samuraisaint, 9 wins is within the capabilities of the current team, and once Dan Hannebery is fit, and Ben King gets a few games into him, the Saints could well have a strong finish to the season after the bye round...not forgetting that by then Jake Carlisle will be back as well.

All I really want this year is for the team to show some significant improvement and from what we have seen in the first 3 games that is certainly the case.
That's it - no false dawns. Nine good solid wins, notwithstanding a couple interstate (or overseas!), and just be in all of the matches we play and be generally competitive.
I'd like us to try to kick 20 goals or more in at least one match too.
I think we throw the kitchen sink at Lachie Whitfield at the end of the season as I reckon he's gettable, and he is exactly what we need.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kalsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 2:32pm Last time we won our first 2 was 2014 and we won the wooden spoon.

3 games against non-finalists last year does not even begin to give you an accurate indication of whether or not there has been major improvement.

We look a little better absolutely but it’s silly to start talking finals already
Exactly right. We are short of bigger players and tiredness will tell if we get enough of the ball central to goals to win. This requires clearances, spot on delivery, front and centre to contest and consistent gut running to create opportunity and defend. Comparitively we still aren't in the best 10 with this and that's the best position I can see for us too unless we stop poor disposal turnovers.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2019 8:18pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 2:32pm Last time we won our first 2 was 2014 and we won the wooden spoon.

3 games against non-finalists last year does not even begin to give you an accurate indication of whether or not there has been major improvement.

We look a little better absolutely but it’s silly to start talking finals already
Exactly right. We are short of bigger players and tiredness will tell if we get enough of the ball central to goals to win. This requires clearances, spot on delivery, front and centre to contest and consistent gut running to create opportunity and defend. Comparitively we still aren't in the best 10 with this and that's the best position I can see for us too unless we stop poor disposal turnovers.
Agreed. And by all means we may yet improve to this standard but the OP has suggested that finals may be a possibility based on the season so far but there simply isn’t an indication for this yet based on what we’ve produced as yet.
If ppl want to predict major improvement over the season, great... but to suggest that we’ve demonstrated it so far is just untrue and IMO more an attempt to put forumites down opposed to an objective observation of what we’ve actually seen.

repta
Club Player

9th bound ... again .....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Fri 12 Apr 2019 5:08pm 9th bound ... again .....
I’d be delighted if we could finish that high.

Would make the season interesting at least.

I reckon we will go down to both the Hawks and Dees which will shut down this thread

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2019 11:20pm

Agreed. And by all means we may yet improve to this standard but the OP has suggested that finals may be a possibility based on the season so far but there simply isn’t an indication for this yet based on what we’ve produced as yet.
If ppl want to predict major improvement over the season, great... but to suggest that we’ve demonstrated it so far is just untrue and IMO more an attempt to put forumites down opposed to an objective observation of what we’ve actually seen.
What a load of arrogant BS. Who are you to tell others how to view the team. You are the biggest rear vision mirror reader of the game ever known on this board. We could be 10 straight wins for the year and you would still be anchored to your favorite evidence based coach bashng story.

The down side to us wining is you don't post so much.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on another poster>

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:43am

What a load of arrogant BS. Who are you to tell others how to view the team. You are the biggest rear vision mirror reader of the game ever known on this board. We could be 10 straight wins for the year and you would still be anchored to your favorite evidence based coach bashng story.

Based on your first paragraph, wouldn’t skeptic ‘ not posting so much’ be upside in your opinion?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 10:06am
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:43am

Based on your first paragraph, wouldn’t skeptic ‘ not posting so much’ be upside in your opinion?
Absolutley not. Skeppas is one of my favorite evidence based posters. Without his input I'd be clueless as to what happened in the past.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

IF the Saints can maintain an aggressive and tough approach to the contest, for a sustained period of games, then all things are "possible"...... In my humble opinion, it's just a WEE bit early to be calling us "finals contenders" but this doesn't mean that we can't aspire to see us improving over the season.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
guitars4
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 1:13pm IF the Saints can maintain an aggressive and tough approach to the contest, for a sustained period of games, then all things are "possible"...... In my humble opinion, it's just a WEE bit early to be calling us "finals contenders" but this doesn't mean that we can't aspire to see us improving over the season.
Well said Jigster :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:01am
repta wrote: Fri 12 Apr 2019 5:08pm 9th bound ... again .....
I’d be delighted if we could finish that high.

Would make the season interesting at least.

I reckon we will go down to both the Hawks and Dees which will shut down this thread
And after that Adelaide, West Coast Eagles, Collingwood and GWS (in Sydney) in succession.

Still think we can make it uncomfortable for the Hawks tomorrow with a narrow loss, Melbourne we could beat, and the Adelaide Crows are the most susceptible they have been since 2011 (in Melbourne anyway). My main concern is that we have so many long term ongoing injuries now that we won't be able to exploit this to our advantage. We won't finish 9th, we might win 9 matches though, if we can consistently compete the way we have been so far, however our next six opponents are so much stronger and more skillful than our first three, plus the two we played in the practice matches, that we could see ourselves fall away quite badly. The signs against Fremantle in the first quarter and a half were highly reminiscent of season 2014. AR and the rest of the assistants must prepare the team better than that moving forward or we will be a club in crisis before round 10.
It has been a feature of AR's tenure as coach that we are ill-prepared for our opponent's pressure early in games, and that we fail to counter-attack when challenged with multiples of goals. If he can't change this aspect of his coaching he needs to examine his entire strategic philosophy.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 13 Apr 2019 1:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ListManager
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 2:20pm I'm 50/50 at this stage. Before the season I was not even thinking of finals but now I'm not so sure. I think we are realistically a decent chance to win the next 3 games and our draw towards the end of year provides some big opportunities to get more wins.

Could we just sneak in?
If only we beat Freo. Damn. We would be 3-0 and equal top. I'm glad we have shut up the lazy group think and fake news media for now also.

This footy season is looking like being a very strange one.
I hope you're not serious. We will be doing very well to finish above the bottom 2 IMHO. So far so good but I still think we will be very lucky to win a further 4 games for the rest of the year. If we end up with 6 wins and finish 16th I'll be happy.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 1:13pm IF the Saints can maintain an aggressive and tough approach to the contest, for a sustained period of games, then all things are "possible"...... In my humble opinion, it's just a WEE bit early to be calling us "finals contenders" but this doesn't mean that we can't aspire to see us improving over the season.
one word.
"Inaccuracy"

Read my signature, comrade :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Don’t get me wrong, there are certainly signs of improvement in some aspects but 3 games against 3 non-finalists (2 of which were decided by less than a goal) is simply not an indication that we’re finals bound.

That’s not to say that we won’t or can’t play finals in 2019 but it’s when we start beating quality teams that I’ll start considering that to be a possibility.

A win against the Hawks would be a good statement

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I agree, we've shown some signs of improvement but against crap sides and we've only won by small margins so what I'm saying is really a contradiction and meaningless.

My opinions are based on evidence so I'd like to see 10 or 11 wins before I can sound like my finals prediction is evidence based.

If we beat the Hawks I will still need to see about 7 more wins before my evidence based opinions can appear knowledgeable on a possible finals appearance.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

A 100 point win will put us on top tomorrow.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I read the expression, “rear vision mirror poster” on this thread. It’s about all I am admittedly, but now witnessing a fact - that after a mere three and a half rounds, all 18 teams have been defeated, it makes me think we may go higher, more easily than first thought. On the other hand, chances of spoon also go up. I was also noticed that many posters have pointed out our unchanging unfavorable traits, like frequently missing targets. If we can’t either train ourselves to do that better or devise a game plan, that minimizes either our preponderance to do it, or mitigate the inevitable damage it caused, it seems to me we are bound for Botany Bay again. Of course, we have been down and out before. Please tell me reasons to be optimistic in this season, about this season, beyond simple passion and endevour, because we are not lacking there so far!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 6:40pm I read the expression, “rear vision mirror poster” on this thread. It’s about all I am admittedly, but now witnessing a fact - that after a mere three and a half rounds, all 18 teams have been defeated, it makes me think we may go higher, more easily than first thought. On the other hand, chances of spoon also go up. I was also noticed that many posters have pointed out our unchanging unfavorable traits, like frequently missing targets. If we can’t either train ourselves to do that better or devise a game plan, that minimizes either our preponderance to do it, or mitigate the inevitable damage it caused, it seems to me we are bound for Botany Bay again. Of course, we have been down and out before. Please tell me reasons to be optimistic in this season, about this season, beyond simple passion and endevour, because we are not lacking there so far!
Well we’ve got a few results which is promising and holds us in good stead down the line in if we continue improving.

Marshall has been a big improver... for the first time in ages in looks like we’ve got a lock in one of our weakest positions... now we just need to find a way to adequately support him.

Bruce is back and looking really good... except when he plays ruck

Billings and Gresh are taking steps forward

Wilkie and Parker look like great recruits

We have a lot of injured players to come back

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 1:50pm
one word.
"Inaccuracy"

Read my signature, comrade :shock:
Thanks for that Colleague!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 5:04pm Yeah I agree, we've shown some signs of improvement but against crap sides and we've only won by small margins so what I'm saying is really a contradiction and meaningless.

My opinions are based on evidence so I'd like to see 10 or 11 wins before I can sound like my finals prediction is evidence based.

If we beat the Hawks I will still need to see about 7 more wins before my evidence based opinions can appear knowledgeable on a possible finals appearance.
Yes, the Injectors were crap, exemplified by the silly lazy things they did, such as 2 of them running to the bench for some steroids
and letting Little Lonie run free, and also when one of their "stars" kicked the ball into the back of Hurley...
If we had been a bit more accurate and composed, we would have been several goals in front, and with the difference in application and passion,
we could have won by a lot.

We were our own worst enemy.
Good sides put weaker sides to the sword, we didn't bloody do that.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:17pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 5:04pm Yeah I agree, we've shown some signs of improvement but against crap sides and we've only won by small margins so what I'm saying is really a contradiction and meaningless.

Yes, the Injectors were crap, exemplified by the silly lazy things they did, such as 2 of them running to the bench for some steroids
and letting Little Lonie run free, when one of their "stars" kicked the ball into the back of Hurley...
If we had been a bit more accurate and composed, we would have been several goals in front, and with the difference in application and passion,
we could have won by a lot.

We were our own worst enemy.
Good sides put weaker sides to the sword, we didn't bloody do that.
Absolutely, if we start playing well we will be a bloody good side. I'm also outraged we aren't a good side. Can you believe the selection stuff ups this week.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Agree. If we start playing well we’ll be a good side but if we play badly, we’ll be bad.

Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:41pm Agree. If we start playing well we’ll be a good side but if we play badly, we’ll be bad.

Makes perfect sense when you think about it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOLD! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Colleague!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: