Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread. Saints V Hawks Rd 4 2019

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:16pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:36pm If we run over the top of an injury ravaged Hawthorn, it will be INSPITE of Cho, and all down to the desperation of the 22 players.
You really are a miserable sad sack. If they lose its Richo's fault, if they win its only due to the players.
Yes he is, isn't he? But the poor fella has staked his whole online persona around the sacking of our coach, so he can't really want us to win and be honest about it, can he.
Nope, not miserable at all.

And like I said, the boys won that game with one arm tied behind their back.

Selection was poor, and the gameplan non existent beyond bombing long and hoping. (Again, feel free to highlight which parts of Richos gameplan is genius)

We can’t rely each week on the opposition having 2-3 injured players on the bench for most of the game. Imagine what we could do with that kind of effort AND a head coach with a solid gameplan.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Woohoo!
Woke up late so rewound without knowing the result. You beauty Saints! Lonie is a little ripper!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SuperDuper
Club Player

Brad Hodge commented that there is talk around about the saints really playing as a team. There was also a lot of praise for the discipline in our team defense.

I am no Richo fanboy but you gotta give credit when it is due... He has the boys playing with both passion and discipline

silverhalo
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:28pm Brad Hodge commented that there is talk around about the saints really playing as a team. There was also a lot of praise for the discipline in our team defense.

I am no Richo fanboy but you gotta give credit when it is due... He has the boys playing with both passion and discipline
Luke Hodge buddy, wrong sport :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sorry guys, the coach isn't going anywhere and I for one am as happy as a pig in s*** about that.

Loved the win. Loved the games of Lonie, who is turning into a little champ, Ross, who gets a hard time on here, Marshall, how good is he going to be, Wilkie, great pickup , Billings, and Acres, nearly his best game.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ListManager wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:20pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
Nice one Mr Mod st.byron!!!
Long time not a mod mate.
Short term pleasure of winning is nice. Long term pain of going nowhere is not. IMO we have no chance of being a contender whilst Richardson remains. So anything that hastens his exit works for me. Just listening to him makes me wince.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:12pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:36pm If we run over the top of an injury ravaged Hawthorn, it will be INSPITE of Cho, and all down to the desperation of the 22 players.
You really are a miserable sad sack. If they lose its Richo's fault, if they win its only due to the players.
Richo is no good, imagine what we could do with a gun head coach.

Feel free to let me know what aspects of his gameplan you like.
He coached Clarkson into the ground today. Tell me about Clarkson's gameplan. Aside from been utterly boring, scoring doesn't appear to be a factor. Not to mention they're glacier slow.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just read this match thread. Hmmm
Yes we have a coaching problem, yes our conversion sucks, but geez what a great win by the lads.
Billings just continues on - been great this year, Ross still not damaging enough but close to 40 touches - that’s 40 times the opp don’t get a look, Acres bounced back after last week, Sinclair to a lesser extent, and Lonie is just the perfect example of endeavour. And Marshall is a beauty. These lads are playing for each other and have belief.
Very happy with that win.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:13pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:25pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
:roll:
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

There are no easy games this year ..... for any teams.

10% off and you probably lose

3-1 ..... not a bad start to the year .... with Steven to come back as well :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
silverhalo
Club Player

Still think it was a stupid decision to trade out Hickey - he and Marshall should have been played in tandem - Billy had to go

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Watched last two minutes just now Is the ump calling Marshall ‘Roland’? Lol sounds like it

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:43pm
My heart was saying win it, but my head is now thinking I agree with St B. Hawthorn were unlucky to lose and we fell over the line against a team ravaged by injuries. Not only with Burgoyne, Shiel, O'meara etc out, but also the guys like Stratton and Frawley going down during the game.
Carlisle, Steven, Roberton, Hannebery, McCartin

Al teams have injuries - looks like our depth is equal to the Hawks

We were coming off a game in Perth - Hawks played at the G last week.

We were unlucky not to win by more ....... see I can play this game as well

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:24pm We're up and about. If we can keep this intensity up for the last quarter we will run over the top of them
Hope we dont
It hurts us in the long run having a coach like Richo. We are not going to get over the line against better teams (the Hawks have more injuries to key playmakers than we do). Richo's gameplan is not really a game plan, it's a non-negotiable; pressure!! Our forward entries today were on par with the usual gameplan...it sucks!!

Marshall was awesome but he needs help. In a way it could have been curtains for us if the Hawks lined him up and if he wasn't ther for the last quarter. I think the rest of the talls on both sides had poor games.

Congratulations to the players. They were definitely hungrier than the Hawks and we had an edge of hardness today. Our tackling, our spoils and general loose ball contests were fantastic.
Bit of a contradiction there.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Hope we dont

Well said. Just got over the line against a mob with players down on the bench. Game plan looks pretty much the same as last year, which just highlights Richardson's lack of variety and imagination. Still bombing it into forward 50, still got Acres in the ruck....wtf? Agree Billings, Acres, Marshall all improving, Lonie going to a new level and Wilkie is a good get. And last year we wouldn't have come back from 26 points down to win. But......whilst Richo is coach we aint contending. So it's a pyrrhic victory.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:50pm
Carlisle, Steven, Roberton, Hannebery, McCartin

Al teams have injuries - looks like our depth is equal to the Hawks

We were coming off a game in Perth - Hawks played at the G last week.

We were unlucky not to win by more ....... see I can play this game as well
Geary.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:51pm
Well said. Just got over the line against a mob with players down on the bench. Game plan looks pretty much the same as last year, which just highlights Richardson's lack of variety and imagination. Still bombing it into forward 50, still got Acres in the ruck....wtf? Agree Billings, Acres, Marshall all improving, Lonie going to a new level and Wilkie is a good get. And last year we wouldn't have come back from 26 points down to win. But......whilst Richo is coach we aint contending. So it's a pyrrhic victory.
Yet we are 3 & 1 when everyone said we would be 1 & 3 ..... so whats the go?

3 & 1 doesn't sound very pyrrhic to me :twisted:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not saying it wasn't a good win. I lost my voice barracking and always happy with a win but you've gotta look at teams like the Hawks (and the Swans to some extent) who have achieved so much and you have to question the hardness of guys who have been there and done that at the pointy end of the season. Some of them are just turning up for their paypackets

It'd be great if some of our players ever lived up to their potential. Stuv and Robbo yes...fair enough...they are players who impact games and we definitely miss them, but give me Mitchell, Shiel, Burgoyne and O'meara over our lot missing from the team any day

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:51pm
Hope we dont

Amen.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
guitars4
Club Player

Take a deep breath boys & girls a very good win , horrible game to watch but we won :D . I said this a couple of weeks ago take it one week at a time, don't get carried away & start making stupid predictions too early , take it for what it is. There is along way to go & it has been a very positive start probably should be 4 & zip but things can change quickly . :wink:

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Are The_Dud and Scollop twins? Two of the most negative posters ever. Amazing we are 3 and 1.
I get as frustrated as any but I can't doubt the endeavor of our boys.
As for our coach I think the inclusion of some new blood in the coaching ranks has been as refreshing as ever. Yes I know our skills aren't the best but I am sure we are on the right track.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

wasoncestkil58 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:18pm Are The_Dud and Scollop twins? Two of the most negative posters ever. Amazing we are 3 and 1.
Lol! 👌🤭

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:38pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 6:07pm Hard to say, but I actually hope we lose. Anything that will move the club towards getting rid of Richardson is for longer term good. We will never go anywhere while this bloke is coach. The much vaunted new coaches have made sofa difference. Game plan is still basically the same as last year. Hard to watch.
Short term pleasure of winning is nice. Long term pain of going nowhere is not. IMO we have no chance of being a contender whilst Richardson remains. So anything that hastens his exit works for me. Just listening to him makes me wince.
Don’t listen to him then. Just enjoy watching his / our team win.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

wasoncestkil58 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 8:18pm Are The_Dud and Scollop twins? Two of the most negative posters ever. Amazing we are 3 and 1.
I get as frustrated as any but I can't doubt the endeavor of our boys.
As for our coach I think the inclusion of some new blood in the coaching ranks has been as refreshing as ever. Yes I know our skills aren't the best but I am sure we are on the right track.
New blood in coaching ranks and new blood out on the field. The difference has created the spark for change. We knew what we had with Richo at the helm. Take out that new blood and 2019 would have been like 2018.

If Richo is head coach and we make finals this year, then perhaps he deserves to stay on. It's all about the results. LikeRon Barrassi once said ttoGerard Healy; "You give me wins and get us into the finals, and I'll shut up!!!". or something like that :wink:

ListManager
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 7:38pm
What a stupid comment.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????