No help for Rowan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: No help for Rowan

takeaway wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:54pm
That's the simple team plan that is illustrated in the front foyer of AFL HQ. All teams use it. I think the club has a different view to you re Longer, we may see in the next few weeks. If not, Marshall has done very well, and substantially improved his hit out efficiency. At the moment, that is his weak link.
Earth to Richo

Earth to Richo

Remember that feedback in that letter you opened at summer camp

twirlyhair
Club Player

Mongrels Power Players Saints in Top 25

23 - Rowan Marshall (St Kilda)

9th in hitouts. 5th in stoppage clearances

22 – Jack Billings (St Kilda)

6th in uncontested possessions. 10th in effective disposals

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 4:17pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 1:54pm
That's the simple team plan that is illustrated in the front foyer of AFL HQ. All teams use it. I think the club has a different view to you re Longer, we may see in the next few weeks. If not, Marshall has done very well, and substantially improved his hit out efficiency. At the moment, that is his weak link.
Earth to Richo

Earth to Richo

Remember that feedback in that letter you opened at summer camp
You're claiming to be earth now?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bump

Mumford softened up a few of our players last week. Our combined tackle count was way down on our usual output per game

With regard to Hawks vs GWS, the Giants went into the game with Simpson and Hawks played both Ceglar and McEvoy. Not sure if Mummy was injured or if he was managed and the Giants were a bit arrogant or took the risk thinking they could smash the Hawks in the contest. Hawks dominated the tap outs but Giants were slightly ahead in the clearances.

There are a few threads on our ruck and whether Longer should be number 1 or not, but there's also evidence from the top teams that shows a lot of them go with 2 recognised ruckman. If it's good enough for Clarko then I reckon we should be going with 2 as well. Clarko had dropped Ceglar after Hawks played Saints but he's back to his usual set up of 2 ruckman

Anyhow, Longer played well in the VFL. I think if Rowan had help last week he may have been a bit fresher for the game against West Coast. I think it's time that we give Longer a block of 4-5 games together with Marshall. I think with Rowan's ability in clearances, combined with Longer's strength in hit outs, we could get a good balance. Let's see if Billy has turned the corner and if he can also continue his work around the ground like he's been doing at Sandringham

King12
Club Player

Rowan sure needs help, he looks a little knocked up to me. Longer is showing good form (you can only beat the opponent your given), Longer has done this constantly in the VFL for a month and had 71 hit outs, 19 touches, a goal and was important when the game was up for grabs on Sunday.
So, maybe, just maybe Scollop could be right on this occasion.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 3:35pm Rowan sure needs help, he looks a little knocked up to me. Longer is showing good form (you can only beat the opponent your given), Longer has done this constantly in the VFL for a month and had 71 hit outs, 19 touches, a goal and was important when the game was up for grabs on Sunday.

Yes you can only beat the opponent your given. However most of that effort was against an Irish International Rookie who was playing his 3rd game and who is only 191cm and 85kg, and who is normally utility (if 3 games can have a normal) and who went into the ruck when the inexperienced Lynch was KO-ed early in the second quarter.

So putting any real store in this last game by Longer is completely meaningless as for most of it he was playing on a small and light opponent who would have had little idea at all of what to do, or how to do it.

Also despite the HO domination and lack of opponent the match reports I have read have indicated that he did not tap those 71 HOs at all well to his team mates (I am happy to be corrected on this by anyone actually at the game as I was not)..

Longer if picked needs to be picked on his body of work and not on this last Pie's VFL Game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 3:05pm I think with Rowan's ability in clearances, combined with Longer's strength in hit outs, we could get a good balance.
How does that work? Marshall wins the clearances as is in at the HO's.

If Longer is taking the HO's then Marshall will not be winning the clearances.

Longer might have had some hope of running with Mummy, but he will not be able to run around with Grundy.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why not play Marshall in the middle when Longer goes up at the first centre bounce?

Why not confuse the opposition and unsettle them. Give those turds something to think about. Anyhow...

Grundy will be sore very early on in the game because Richo will unleash and release the Billy Longer Kraken

Why not actually have a strategy to try and beat them? What's the point of going in with the same game plan and the same team line up? We may as well take risks and go for broke
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 13 May 2019 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

King12
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 5:14pm
King12 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 3:35pm Rowan sure needs help, he looks a little knocked up to me. Longer is showing good form (you can only beat the opponent your given), Longer has done this constantly in the VFL for a month and had 71 hit outs, 19 touches, a goal and was important when the game was up for grabs on Sunday.

Yes you can only beat the opponent your given. However most of that effort was against an Irish International Rookie who was playing his 3rd game and who is only 191cm and 85kg, and who is normally utility (if 3 games can have a normal) and who went into the ruck when the inexperienced Lynch was KO-ed early in the second quarter.

So putting any real store in this last game by Longer is completely meaningless as for most of it he was playing on a small and light opponent who would have had little idea at all of what to do, or how to do it.

Also despite the HO domination and lack of opponent the match reports I have read have indicated that he did not tap those 71 HOs at all well to his team mates (I am happy to be corrected on this by anyone actually at the game as I was not)..

Longer if picked needs to be picked on his body of work and not on this last Pie's VFL Game.
Longer's last month in the VFL would more than satisfy your body of work statement, in fact, he would be at least Top 3 in the Sandy B&F if it was counted now.

I'm not saying pick him, I'm just saying Marshall is looking tired already and needs help, like it or not, Longer is next in line based on form!

Marshall need's help, we were smashed out of the middle Sat night, putting enormous pressure on our backs from the get go!

guitars4
Club Player

King12 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 5:28pm

Longer's last month in the VFL would more than satisfy your body of work statement, in fact, he would be at least Top 3 in the Sandy B&F if it was counted now.

I'm not saying pick him, I'm just saying Marshall is looking tired already and needs help, like it or not, Longer is next in line based on form!

Marshall need's help, we were smashed out of the middle Sat night, putting enormous pressure on our backs from the get go!
I have to agree I said this earlier in the year he will burn out if we don't give him a chop out.As you said he is looking tired & he need's some backup & I don't mean Acres or Bruce

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 10:12pm
King12 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 5:28pm

I have to agree I said this earlier in the year he will burn out if we don't give him a chop out.As you said he is looking tired & he need's some backup & I don't mean Acres or Bruce
Indeed.

Quite a few forumites saw this coming a mile away... dinosaurs they called us

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 5:27pm Why not play Marshall in the middle when Longer goes up at the first centre bounce?

Why not confuse the opposition and unsettle them. Give those turds something to think about. Anyhow...

Grundy will be sore very early on in the game because Richo will unleash and release the Billy Longer Kraken

Why not actually have a strategy to try and beat them? What's the point of going in with the same game plan and the same team line up? We may as well take risks and go for broke
Like the way you're thinking Scollop, perhaps Billy can run around applying head high Gablett style tackles on Grundy & their talented midfield. That ought to slow them down, and apparently it's quite legal these days...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s time to change things up a bit up forward.

The current structure inspires no confidence, hence our hesitant and second-guessing forward 50 entries.

Playing Longer would allow us to use Marshall up front a lot more. Or Marshall back and Battle forward.

Unfortunately Richo is most unlikely to go for something like this. Too risky for him. But the point is, you’ve got to try things if your season is on the line.

No one’s expecting us to beat Collingwood, anyway, so what is there to lose?

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

How is playing Longer the risky option he’s clearly the easy option Richo will choose and watch Longer look as hopeless as ever. Will get obliterated in the Ruck and hen we are a runner down..

No doubt Richo chooses Longer who is utterly useless

King12
Club Player

What's a 'hen runner'? 😂

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 11:24am What's a 'hen runner'? 😂
Rowan is a bit of a rooster

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 11:24am What's a 'hen runner'? 😂
Similar to a hen mule but 'hen runners' do it more regularly and get paid more by the hen kingpin

Shaggy
Club Player

We played the Hickey / Marshall combination 8 times last year and it did not work because Hickey is useless up forward – he either rucked or was benched. So for most of the time we ended up with an average ruck – Hickey and an average forward – Marshall.

But Marshall is not an average ruck – he is a very exciting prospect making a difference in the middle which Hickey never did.

Help for Rohan would be great but it should not force him out of being our prime ruck simply because the supporting ruck can only play ruck.

Marshall needs to keep learning the ruck craft rather than being stuck in the forward line where he is okay but not special.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 1:47pm We played the Hickey / Marshall combination 8 times last year and it did not work because Hickey is useless up forward – he either rucked or was benched. So for most of the time we ended up with an average ruck – Hickey and an average forward – Marshall.

But Marshall is not an average ruck – he is a very exciting prospect making a difference in the middle which Hickey never did.

Help for Rohan would be great but it should not force him out of being our prime ruck simply because the supporting ruck can only play ruck.

Marshall needs to keep learning the ruck craft rather than being stuck in the forward line where he is okay but not special.

Fair points, although I think Marshall could be pretty good up forward. Good hands, good footy brain, a steak of aggression, agile, good kick.

I just think the forward line is lacking at the moment and inspires no confidence for those downfield. Perhaps when Carlisle comes back, we can move Battle forward ... or insist on Carlisle playing forward.

If we keep it as it is we’re going to continue to struggle to kick winning scores.

The_President
Club Player

I like the idea of Carlisle forward... if we can convince him to agree

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 2:54pm I like the idea of Carlisle forward... if we can convince him to agree
He really ought to play where the club asks him to. It’s a fundamental of all employer-employee agreements, or should be imo.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The_President wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 2:54pm I like the idea of Carlisle forward... if we can convince him to agree
Given he's out of contract - I'm not sure he'll need too much convincing

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You’re the President, make it happen :wink:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 3:27pm
He really ought to play where the club asks him to. It’s a fundamental of all employer-employee agreements, or should be imo.
To be fair to Jake - the reticence to him playing forward was during his time at Essendon and it was largely borne out of frustration of being put in a situation he wasn't comfortable with (i.e. injection regime) and then the associated stress that came with that.

Go you red, black & white warriors
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Who do people incessantly want to play players out of position?
Carlisle is a gun backman and average forward
Marshall is our best Ruck and average forward