Warm up, worn out?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcole13

Warm up, worn out?

Did anyone else who arrived early for yesterday’s game notice that many Demons players were out on the ground for a lengthy warm up for an hour or so before the game in the 30 deg heat, including lots of kicking for goal. Saints barely came out onto the ground, and kept the warmup to indoors. I thought at the time that Dee’s were overdoing it, and would be tired as a result. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Warm up, worn out?

I guess on the evidence of the scoreboard, and the way our blokes ran them ragged, you'd have a fair point I'd say colleague!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
longtimesaint
Club Player

It’s hard to believe they were tired when you consider we were coming off a 6 day break compared to their nine!

One year will be our year
shrodes
SS Life Member

dcole13 wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 2:56pm Did anyone else who arrived early for yesterday’s game notice that many Demons players were out on the ground for a lengthy warm up for an hour or so before the game in the 30 deg heat, including lots of kicking for goal. Saints barely came out onto the ground, and kept the warmup to indoors. I thought at the time that Dee’s were overdoing it, and would be tired as a result. Thoughts?

We always come out super late, have done for years now. I think we've even got warnings for it on occasion when we come out too late.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dcole13 wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 2:56pm Did anyone else who arrived early for yesterday’s game notice that many Demons players were out on the ground for a lengthy warm up for an hour or so before the game in the 30 deg heat, including lots of kicking for goal. Saints barely came out onto the ground, and kept the warmup to indoors. I thought at the time that Dee’s were overdoing it, and would be tired as a result. Thoughts?

Good pickup

Viney and Hunt were two of their players in particular who spent over 30 minutes on the ground with lots of goal kicking practice from various angles and various distances. Frost was out there kicking the footy back to them.

Tom McDonald also came out and was doing a fair bit of long distance set shots. Tom was practising drop punts and then moved further back and did some torps from long range. When Viney and Hunt had a breather, I saw Frost move up to the 50 metre arc and he was practising torpedoes at goal as well. Why the hell would a guy like Frost with questionable kicking, waste his energy on such a hot day on kicking the footy 60 metres when he is a defender??? By the way, most of Frost's kicks when off the side of his boot

Not sure if the preseason camp from 2018 should be mentioned here, but perhaps the players at Melbourne think they can do what they like

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

must be the reason they were s***. I mean lets face it, Roo would run around 5-6kms before every game he ever played and it completely ruined his career

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if you should be in the sun on a 30 day degree day for any longer than you should. If you can prevent it, then why expose yourself when you'll still get a chance to warm up after you run through the banner. Not saying for an instant that it had any significant impact on their whole team or on the result

I saw JB warming up and it reminded me of Rooy. We had a few individuals having a kick up towards the Punt Road end prior to the boys running out together. JB was doing 100 mtre sprints from the goals to the cntre and then again from the centre to the other side of the ground. He wasn't out there for nearly as long as some of the Demons players.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

These guys are supposed to be fitness beasts so doubt it had any impact at all.

Melbourne just aren't up to it at the moment but they challenged us in the second and we not only matched them but we mauled them.

I just hope we keep it up as long as possible and there is no reason why we can't.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.