Changes v Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Changes v Crows

Would hardly call 1 win "back in form". That saying, after one win, is a pet peeve of mine. Win 3 in a row and you're back in form. They've beaten a team that has historically struggled over there. If they'd beaten the Cats or Pies over there I'd be more worried. Hopefully they come over with an over inflated sense of confidence and we smash them. Remember Demons beat Sydney and they were supposedly "Back in form" also.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Yeah - but - we are St Kilda - I do not know many other groups of supporters, when their team is sitting 4-1 and on 115%, with only a little inaccurancy stopping us from being 5-0, who would still be expecting a bottom 4 finish!!!!

We need to change the mindset from we are St Kilda - to WE ARE St KILDA - we deserve to be favourites!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

White for Geary .

White has been playing well of late.

Also importantly our team this is showing better footskills and pace.

White is a beautiful kick and has a reasonable turn of pace.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stkfc1
Club Player

Sounds like Geary may be out long term. Good chance whoever gets his spot may get an extended run if they play well. Good opportunity whoever gets it. Im hoping White, as his kicking is sublime and need good ball users out the back. Opp will start putting more work into Sav now he's playing well so we need kicking options other than JWeb. Also means Patton stays in which is great. Like this kid so far and deserves a run at it. Hind may be an option with his pace.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Dmac for Geary of fit, if not White, Clark, Hind or perhaps Phillips is a smokey?

I'd like to see Hind get a shot.

It seems there is competition for spots which is what you need to keep the edge.
Could Young get a run at the expense of Parker?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintly66
Club Player

White for Geary hopefully, hope dmac stays the hell away.

outside66
Club Player

White for Geary should be the only change barring injuries. Everyone played their role with no stragglers. Keep the blokes at Sandy knocking down the door and when their turn comes then the position is theirs to keep i.e. Paton

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dmac for Geary or White if Dmac doesn’t come up.

If Bruce doesn’t come up, Marshall to play forward and Longer in to ruck. Thought about Battle, but he’s going okay where he is.

SuperDuper
Club Player

White for Geary

Marsh for Bruce if he does not play

stjohnc
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:19am
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 5:57am
bigcarl wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:28am When did we last beat the Crows?
Rd 18, 2011
St K 19.13.127
Adel 3.6.24
At Etihad

(Rd 12, 2012 we lost to them at AAMI by 4 pts)

Thanks for that. A bit of a bogey team, so a big test since they are back in form
we have a few bogey teams
We last beat ADELAIDE rd 18 2011
we last beat SYDNEY RD 9 2012
We last beat PORT RD 16 2012
Have beaten GEELONG once since end of 2010 and drawn once
Until this year had beaten HAWTHORN once since end of 2009 (DRAWN IN 2010)
Beaten WEST COAST once since end of 2011

2011-2018 Win/Loss (not counting this year)

ADELAIDE 1/9
LIONS 6/2
CARL 8/5
COLL 2/7
ESS 5/5
FREO 6/4
GEEL 1/7 DRAWN 1
GOLD C 7/4
GWS 4/4 DRAWN 1
HAW 1/8
MELB 10/3
NORTH 4/8
PORT 1/7
RICH 2/9 DRAWN 1
SYD 1/11
WEST C 2/9
BULLDOG 5/6

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stjohnc wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 11:26pm
I agree with your thoughts, however, I think we need to consider that in the past all of OUR planning has gone into limiting the damage against these teams - so we approach the games as "How do we stop XXXX, what do we do about YYYY". As we win more games this year, other teams have to start thinking how to stop us.

In the past Adelaide would be coming here with the selection and game plan of maximizing what they are good at - this year - due to our better form and game style, and their poor start to the year, they will probably be looking at who to stop from us, and maybe amending their selections to reflect this.

This is the difference between being a hunter and the hunted - We are coming at this game from a position of strength. That is not to say I am not nervous about this game, and the ones coming up - but I am far more confident with Billings needing to be tagged, than him going into the game as a run with player.

WE ARE St KILDA - take us lightly at your own peril!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
the dome
Club Player

Good day out @ 'the DOME'

& the most irritating encounter of all - 1997

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Main change v the Crows then is for us to beat them!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 1:20pm
I agree with your thoughts, however, I think we need to consider that in the past all of OUR planning has gone into limiting the damage against these teams - so we approach the games as "How do we stop XXXX, what do we do about YYYY". As we win more games this year, other teams have to start thinking how to stop us.

In the past Adelaide would be coming here with the selection and game plan of maximizing what they are good at - this year - due to our better form and game style, and their poor start to the year, they will probably be looking at who to stop from us, and maybe amending their selections to reflect this.

This is the difference between being a hunter and the hunted - We are coming at this game from a position of strength. That is not to say I am not nervous about this game, and the ones coming up - but I am far more confident with Billings needing to be tagged, than him going into the game as a run with player.

Good post.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

stJonc that's an impressive list.

To think that 24 of our 66 wins on it come against Brisbane, Carlton and Melbourne. Oh well, them the facts. (dodgy arithmetic aside)

Feels like we should be favorites but the punters are even about this one.

I'm buzzing like a bee, enjoying the echoes of 2006-2010 right now, or at least the feeling that we have some confidence and can attack knowing that.
I wonder if Adelaide will pull a surprise out of the box on us and how we can react? Say for example, they jump us like Freo did off the line? What do we do?

I hope we can adapt. Saints!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good day out @ 'the DOME'

the dome wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 2:27pm & the most irritating encounter of all - 1997
We paid them back in 2004 though.
They finished the season on top of the ladder, played us in the QF at their home ground to get the week off before the prelim in Adelaide, and we beat them in what was an unexpected result. Completely wrecked their campaign that night.
Sammy and Gwilt were both fantastic that night.
Right up there with the '97 preliminary final win as the best St Kilda victories I have seen in over 40 years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I am like a lot of supporters, I think we are up against it, even though it's at Marvel/Etihad/Colonial Stadium/Docklands/reclaimed mozzie-infested swampland

But...we have Lade, Ratten, with all of their guile, cunning, knowledge, respect from the players (don't underestimate THAT last one)

We have Wilkie who might be sent to the Tex the flatulent (remember he let one rip, as he sat down, before a press conference haha)

We have a new, simpler game plan that plays to our strengths, and minimises our weaknesses (to paraphrase our last Captain)

We have a new-found higher level of passion, drive, and fitness, a bit like the Tigers or maybe the Swans

The Crows are having a lot of "I hate my parents" feelng towards their coach.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
diddley
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 6:36pm even though it's at Marvel/Etihad/Colonial Stadium/Docklands/reclaimed mozzie-infested swampland
you left out Telstra Dome...

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 6:36pm I am like a lot of supporters, I think we are up against it, even though it's at Marvel/Etihad/Colonial Stadium/Docklands/reclaimed mozzie-infested swampland

But...we have Lade, Ratten, with all of their guile, cunning, knowledge, respect from the players (don't underestimate THAT last one)

We have Wilkie who might be sent to the Tex the flatulent (remember he let one rip, as he sat down, before a press conference haha)

We have a new, simpler game plan that plays to our strengths, and minimises our weaknesses (to paraphrase our last Captain)

We have a new-found higher level of passion, drive, and fitness, a bit like the Tigers or maybe the Swans

The Crows are having a lot of "I hate my parents" feelng towards their coach.
They finished twelfth last year and they'll probably finish thereabouts this year too. In Adelaide it would be a tough ask as always but it's over here this weekend, and we'll win Saturday.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:49am Sounds like Geary may be out long term. Good chance whoever gets his spot may get an extended run if they play well. Good opportunity whoever gets it. Im hoping White, as his kicking is sublime and need good ball users out the back. Opp will start putting more work into Sav now he's playing well so we need kicking options other than JWeb. Also means Patton stays in which is great. Like this kid so far and deserves a run at it. Hind may be an option with his pace.
This.

If Juice is out we'll need Joshy Battle up forward imo.

Maybe Wilkie and White double team Jercker, Brown holds Tex, perhaps DMac might be a good option for T Lynch

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 1:20pm

Great post. Confidence, Belief, Trust your team mate and back yourselves to beat them rather than restrict them. Love it

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Really doubt that they will start playing Battle in the forward line this year. I'll probably be wrong though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
footynut
Club Player

If Bruce is out who do they bring in? As we are lacking fit quality talls.
    Maybe they should think about bringing in Jonathon Marsh as he could play forward or back, like Battle.
      Piece maybe another option as he could change in the ruck (but hear he was injured).
        Or perhaps its Darragh Joyce and Battle goes forward. Unsure about this option.

One of Daniel McKenzie, Brandon White or possibly Nicholas Hind will come in for Geary.

tonyh
        Club Player

Really need to beat those crows. I live in Adelaide, and the media here are obsessed with them (Port just get token reference). If crows beat us it will be unbearable here.
        2 dangers I see. .Went to the crows/Geelong game and Rory Sloane almost singlehandedly lifted them over the line. He is a champion and we need to check him out of the game.
        Walker. Is such a fine kick that a handful of possessions can create damage. He likes to lead and grab a chest or other mark, so we need to be very awake to that and have players ready to get in front of his leads. No good just playing from behind.
        Go Saints!

SaintPav
        Saintsational Legend

We haven't beaten them since 2011.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.