Cho setting records!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cho setting records!

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:36pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:34pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:31pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:04pm It’s not after one loss to a good team, it’s after 2 years of stagnating and seeing the same horrible issues over and over again.

I would have sacked him after last season. Sack him as soon as possible (no use hanging on to a dead man walking) and give Ratten the rest of the year as a job interview. If not him then get the best available at the end of the year.
So, sack him now, appoint Ratten. Who would be your second and third choices if Ratten doesn't want the job? Should the assistant coaches be sacked too? Just wondering if you have thought this far?
If Ratten doesn’t want it (which I doubt) then give it to one of the other assistants, doesn’t really matter, this year is (another) development year.

I think the rest of the current coaching panel is fine, give them a chance, the last 5 years is not there fault.

And as others have said, Richo’s replacement may or may not be good, but that’s better odds than Richo who we know for a fact is no good.
Well done Dud! What a plan that is! Give it to anyone.....awesome!
They’re not ‘anyone’, they’re all experienced assistant AFL coaches. And again, couldn’t be any worse that Richo, and could be better!
Well unless you name someone (apart from Ratten), then it seems you are not so concerned, as long as it is not Richo hey? So to help you out. Here are the assistant coaches for you. Who should get it? Surely we don't want to be in another pickle in a couple of years time hey?

Brett Ratten - Senior Assistant Coach.
Brendon Lade - Senior Assistant Coach.
Henry Playfair - Senior Assistant Coach (Back Line)
Aaron Hamill - Senior Assistant Coach and Senior Coach of Sandringham Football Club.
Jake Batchelor - Assistant Coach
Ben McGlynn - Assistant Coach
Adam Skrobalak - Assistant Coach
Danny Sexton - Director of Coaching.
I’m only talking about one of the assistants for the caretaker role, at the end of the season they should obviously hire the best available AFL wide. Ratten seems a good choice for me looking at his resume, but obviously I don’t know the credentials of everyone out there.

What I do know is after 5+ seasons Richo has more than shown his hand.

Back to my original question, has ANYONE in the history of the AFL had as bad a record over 5+ seasons as Richo?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:26pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:36pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:04pm It’s not after one loss to a good team, it’s after 2 years of stagnating and seeing the same horrible issues over and over again.

I would have sacked him after last season. Sack him as soon as possible (no use hanging on to a dead man walking) and give Ratten the rest of the year as a job interview. If not him then get the best available at the end of the year.
So, sack him now, appoint Ratten. Who would be your second and third choices if Ratten doesn't want the job? Should the assistant coaches be sacked too? Just wondering if you have thought this far?
If Ratten doesn’t want it (which I doubt) then give it to one of the other assistants, doesn’t really matter, this year is (another) development year.

I think the rest of the current coaching panel is fine, give them a chance, the last 5 years is not there fault.

And as others have said, Richo’s replacement may or may not be good, but that’s better odds than Richo who we know for a fact is no good.
They’re not ‘anyone’, they’re all experienced assistant AFL coaches. And again, couldn’t be any worse that Richo, and could be better!
Well unless you name someone (apart from Ratten), then it seems you are not so concerned, as long as it is not Richo hey? So to help you out. Here are the assistant coaches for you. Who should get it? Surely we don't want to be in another pickle in a couple of years time hey?

Brett Ratten - Senior Assistant Coach.
Brendon Lade - Senior Assistant Coach.
Henry Playfair - Senior Assistant Coach (Back Line)
Aaron Hamill - Senior Assistant Coach and Senior Coach of Sandringham Football Club.
Jake Batchelor - Assistant Coach
Ben McGlynn - Assistant Coach
Adam Skrobalak - Assistant Coach
Danny Sexton - Director of Coaching.
I’m only talking about one of the assistants for the caretaker role, at the end of the season they should obviously hire the best available AFL wide. Ratten seems a good choice for me looking at his resume, but obviously I don’t know the credentials of everyone out there.

What I do know is after 5+ seasons Richo has more than shown his hand.

Back to my original question, has ANYONE in the history of the AFL had as bad a record over 5+ seasons as Richo?
Yes we understand your position Dudley. You are starting to sound like a broken record though. So to move the conversation forward (to avoid the tedious "Sack the Coach" mantra), we should go to the next stage and discuss who should coach. Agree?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think all of the assistant coaches who were there before this season should have gone. If they are keeping the senior coach after such a long time and our results declining over the past two years, then all of the assistants needed to go and a new team and new ideas brought in. The forward line and our scoring in general has been really poor since Roo and Joey retired and we seriously lack scoring power. It needs to be rectified. One way to fix this in the short term is to instruct the midfielders to take more responsibility for kicking goals themselves until we can inject more talls into the forward line, which will be next year now.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 04 May 2019 10:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
guitars4
Club Player

Richo is a nice bloke but IMO he's just not up to being a senior coach , some have it & some don't & unfortunately as I said IMO he doesn't

Shaggy
Club Player

We are 4 wins 3 losses this year with a serious injury list.

Even today we had many more inside 50s playing away from home against a team which is mature and overdue to win the flag given the advantages they have been gifted.

People should try to enjoy the present rather than being bitter about the past.

guitars4
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:42pm We are 4 wins 3 losses this year with a serious injury list.

Even today we had many more inside 50s playing away from home against a team which is mature and overdue to win the flag given the advantages they have been gifted.

I'm not bitter I just think he is not a great coach not because of our injury list or any other factors but it's only my opinion & you are more than entitled to your's :wink:

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Thing is - when we were 4 from 5 and sitting 2nd on the ladder (remember that?!), it was all down to Ratten's great coaching and how Richo was just a figurehead. And now that we're 4 from 7, it's all down to Richo. And what's Ratten's role become? Has he been sent home or something? I don't think Richo has shown himself to be a great coach but I do think he's been unlucky. Also, for mine, him taking responsibility for the Bruce decision is refreshing. I doubt the decision was all his - but he took full responsibility for it. I think that makes him a better bloke, not more of a fool.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

A cunning plan indeed.

Shaggy
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:56pm
Shaggy wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:42pm We are 4 wins 3 losses this year with a serious injury list.

I'm not bitter I just think he is not a great coach not because of our injury list or any other factors but it's only my opinion & you are more than entitled to your's :wink:
My comment is actually directed to Dud, Special & SS1986. They show genuine bitterness IMO and are jumping against Richo as soon as they can. Being in the eight does not make them happy because of the past.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

North, Footscray, Melbourne and St Kilda, the four weakest teams in Melbourne and damned in a rigged system, rigged to scaffold the development of the interstate clubs. We are collateral damage, if not by all by intentional design, but part of the 'Oh Well Oakley' legacy. Oakley was always open about the prospects for ten clubs not remaining viable in Melbourne.

Now the Dogs pinched a flag, and we almost won two, against the tide, but we would be up against it sooner or later and our plans to reshape our destiny have failed. I wouldn't blame Richo. We could easily have rotated two, three, maybe four coaches through the 10s and had similar results.

We are back at Moorabbin, we are competitive and buoyant. We obviously lack class and we have ladyluck against us again. But I bet Brad Scott is also feeling plenty of heat.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Special wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 9:35pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 8:48pm It wasn’t the loss today, the concern was how easily we were blown away in the first 1/4, how the walked out of stoppages with the ball and scored so readily.

Eerily similar signs to 2018.
That first term was amateur hour.

Shows the lack of spine and how the first 5 rounds were a bit of fluff and bubble.

Yes, injuries do give us some excuse re lack of skill, but the piss poor total lack of effort was inexcusable.
How exactly is winning four of the first five game’s “fluff and bubble”?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 11:32pm
guitars4 wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:56pm

My comment is actually directed to Dud, Special & SS1986. They show genuine bitterness IMO and are jumping against Richo as soon as they can. Being in the eight does not make them happy because of the past.
Sorry I’m sick of enjoying mediocrity. The inside 50 count just shows how pathetic our delivery was. GWS were missing better players than us today.

I’m not jumping against Richo “as soon as I can”, I’ve been consistently calling for his sacking since the start of 2018. He’s been a dead man walking since then, the longer we wait is just hurting our future development and at worst costing us stars. Momentarily being in the 8 isn’t going to sway me. The major issues we had 2 years ago are still there, a good coach would have addressed them by now.

Again, who in the history of the AFL have had as bad a coaching record as Richo???

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

GWS will probably win the Grand Final this year. And if they don't win it, they will more than likely be playing off in it.
West Coast are gettable next week over here. They just got over the Suns in Perth by 3 goals, and they just don't look like it as present. Premiership hangover.
We are a real chance next week. I can just feel it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.