Hunter Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hunter Clark

Spinner wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 6:25pm Naughton looking like an inspired choice at 9...

On cue. Second most contested marks in a game ever? After Carey?

twirlyhair
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:59pm Judge him after 60 games..pff..maybe for dead sh.ts who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Clark has gone backwards. Doesn't seem to have any presence at all. All of his performances this season have been completely ineffectual. Concerning.
You are welcome to your opinion, but history would suggest that you are wrong. Anyway, this is the top 20 from the 2017 draft. Some good, some really good, some unsighted. Too early to tell IMO

1 Cameron Rayner Brisbane Lions
2 Andrew Brayshaw
3 Paddy Dow Carlton
4 Luke Davies-Uniacke
5 Adam Cerra Fremantle
6 Jaidyn Stephenson Collingwood
7 Hunter Clark St Kilda
8 Nick Coffield St Kilda
9 Aaron Naughton Western Bulldogs
10 Lochie O'Brien Carlton
11 Aiden Bonar Greater Western Sydney
12 Darcy Fogarty Adelaide
13 Jarrod Brander West Coast
14 Matthew Ling Sydney
15 Zac Bailey Brisbane Lions Western Sydney
16 Ed Richards Western Bulldogs
17 Jack Higgins Richmond
18 Brandon Starcevich Brisbane Lions
19 Wil Powell Gold Coast
20 Callum Coleman-Jones Richmond

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 11:17pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:59pm Judge him after 60 games..pff..maybe for dead sh.ts who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Clark has gone backwards. Doesn't seem to have any presence at all. All of his performances this season have been completely ineffectual. Concerning.
You are welcome to your opinion, but history would suggest that you are wrong. Anyway, this is the top 20 from the 2017 draft. Some good, some really good, some unsighted. Too early to tell IMO

2 Andrew Brayshaw
3 Paddy Dow Carlton
4 Luke Davies-Uniacke
5 Adam Cerra Fremantle
7 Hunter Clark St Kilda
8 Nick Coffield St Kilda
14 Matthew Ling Sydney
17 Jack Higgins Richmond
19 Wil Powell Gold Coast
I never said that Clark wouldn’t work out, Twirly/Ted.

It doesn’t mean that his we can’t judge how he’s currently going now, does it...and why that might be.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 6:25pm Naughton looking like an inspired choice at 9...
Naughton played amazingly well last night, has great presence on the field and already is a damn good pack mark! Like it or not (and I also agree Hunter seems to have gone backwards) but we have not had a youngster develop so quickly for many years now. That alone says a lot about the head coach and our footy department. Richardson is not a head coach and never will be. His long contract signing was the first of many decisions that have damaged the club in terms of going forward.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

In the third quarter yesterday they showed the bench with the times they had been on it ( which I find really interesting)

Anyway Clark’s time was over 10 minutes which is a really long time in rotation land. So wondering if he was slightly injured and that had some impact on his non performance

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
twirlyhair
Club Player

2 Andrew Brayshaw
3 Paddy Dow Carlton
4 Luke Davies-Uniacke
5 Adam Cerra Fremantle
7 Hunter Clark St Kilda
8 Nick Coffield St Kilda
14 Matthew Ling Sydney
17 Jack Higgins Richmond
19 Wil Powell Gold Coast
Not sure what your point is, but anyway. All I'm saying is that he needs a bit more time, and I am confident that when he builds the strength of a man to hold himself in contests, and when he has the tank to gut run, then I think he will be a very good player for us. He needs game time. I hope the club gets that into him. Not comparing him to the great R. Harvey, but even he played only 4 games in his first season, and just 12 in his second.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why are you quoting your own post?!

Whatever..

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 11:14am Why are you quoting your own post?!

Whatever..
Getting his profiles mixed up ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Whatever..
Oh sorry Mr Pav. My apologies. Im so sorry for such a grievous error. Will this get me banned?

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 11:44am

Whatever..
Getting his profiles mixed up ;)
Oh Dudley, not like you to avoid discussing the thread. One trick pony?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 12:32pm

Whatever..
Oh sorry Mr Pav. My apologies. Im so sorry for such a grievous error. Will this get me banned?
Who knows Ted; it’s not up to me to decide.

I guess it's not illegal to post under multiple nics, but it is a little weird and not in a good way either.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 10:23am . Not comparing him to the great R. Harvey, but even he played only 4 games in his first season, and just 12 in his second.
Well one part you may want to compare is that Banger played his first game as a 16 year old.

So you are basically comparing a 17 year old and a 20 year old. So not really comparable at all.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

2 Andrew Brayshaw Fremantle
3 Paddy Dow Carlton
4 Luke Davies-Uniacke North Melbourne
5 Adam Cerra Fremantle
7 Hunter Clark St Kilda
8 Nick Coffield St Kilda
14 Matthew Ling Sydney
17 Jack Higgins Richmond
19 Wil Powell Gold Coast
You mean we missed him and the same club that took Bontempelli grabbed him.
Billings had yet another shocker, either that or he did not play.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
older saint
SS Life Member

It is ridiculous to judge a player under 21 as being a successful draft pick or not with so many variables.

They come in to the system at different development stages, play different positions within the game and the individual sides and receive better support than other while at the club.

While not quite Melbourne or North I feel STK have done a very poor job in the last 5 years or more transitioning players from U18 to senior footy. I don mind they actually spend time in the VFL when not ready ( the old fashion way it was done and Hawthorn still do it) so when they come in they can contribute

Like someone said give it 50 games and then make a call. I could go through many 1st round picks where 2 seasons in some looked miles better but by the end of the career it had switched - Luke Hodge for example

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Again, Clark is a kid. Let him develop without any pressure. Are people that f****** clueless to think that every player we draft will start getting 30 posessions or kick 6 goals or take 10 Mark's in their 2nd year of AFL footy?

Get a f****** grip and grow some f****** patience.

Every player develops differently for a multitude of different reasons. Jack Billings is a classic example of a high draft pick that has taken 5 years to get up to a high quality standard. If it takes Clark and Coffield that long like Billings then so be it. If it's less time, then that's a bonus.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Just looking at the stats and I see Hunter led the tackle count yesterday. He seemed to be going all right before getting dropped. I wonder if it was tough for him to come in feeling like he was supposed to perform as some sort of hybrid Lonie/Steven replacement.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Every time I thought Hunter had gone missing he laid a cracking tackle.

He did ok. It was tough yesterday and he will have learned a lot. We MUST keep playing him, he will get better every single week.

Always loyal
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 4:07pm Every time I thought Hunter had gone missing he laid a cracking tackle.

He did ok. It was tough yesterday and he will have learned a lot. We MUST keep playing him, he will get better every single week.
Appears slow,

twirlyhair
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 3:09pm Again, Clark is a kid. Let him develop without any pressure. Are people that f****** clueless to think that every player we draft will start getting 30 posessions or kick 6 goals or take 10 Mark's in their 2nd year of AFL footy?

Get a f****** grip and grow some f****** patience.

Every player develops differently for a multitude of different reasons. Jack Billings is a classic example of a high draft pick that has taken 5 years to get up to a high quality standard. If it takes Clark and Coffield that long like Billings then so be it. If it's less time, then that's a bonus.
Totally agree. Particularly true when he is the type of player he will eventually become. At the moment, he doesn't have 'man strength' in his core, so gets pushed off the ball and out of position too easily. Therefore he can't use his wonderful skills as freely as he could as an underage player. He also doesn't have the tank to gut run, which means he's not running back to defend as much as the coaches would like. That will come though. And when it does, he will be a seriously good player. Would like to see us get games into Coffield for the same reason.

twirlyhair
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 1:30pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 12:32pm

Whatever..
Who knows Ted; it’s not up to me to decide.

I guess it's not illegal to post under multiple nics, but it is a little weird and not in a good way either.
You think I'm Ted too? Why do you say that?

Jaz
Club Player

freely wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 3:48pm Just looking at the stats and I see Hunter led the tackle count yesterday. He seemed to be going all right before getting dropped. I wonder if it was tough for him to come in feeling like he was supposed to perform as some sort of hybrid Lonie/Steven replacement.
I said it in the match thread as well but I think to get nearly as many tackles as possessions is actually a negative that he is 2nd to the ball. Not sure if its speed, endurance, positioning or not wanting to get in over it and preferring to wait for someone else to go and get it then lay a tackle but any of these aren't great. Good thing is they can probably be developed/trained.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

It took Seb Ross 6 years to become an AFL player so don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, there is no need to panic.

But I get the query, he was talked up in the preseason on this forum after Training well and building his endurance.

It was expected he’d become a regular, I’m sure he’s disappointed himself at the moment.

Many clubs draftees have almost immediate impact and we do not seem to be able to draft (excluding mature age) players who come in and play well.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Special
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:27pm I think we just need to keep playing him. He has the goods. It will turn for him. Judge him after 50-60 games, not 20.
Nah buddy. That’s numptiness just to play players regardless. We’ve been rebuilding for 8 years. If what you have been doing isn’t working and you keep dong it you are either <edited by mods> or very very stupid.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Special wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 6:29pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 10:27pm I think we just need to keep playing him. He has the goods. It will turn for him. Judge him after 50-60 games, not 20.
Nah buddy. That’s numptiness just to play players regardless. We’ve been rebuilding for 8 years. If what you have been doing isn’t working and you keep dong it you are either retarded or very very stupid.
Gotta say I really don't like the inappropriate use of the word 'retard', but thats another matter. We need games into Clark so I disagree with you, and I would expect him to flourish before too long. You certainly can't carry many, however, which makes it even harder for him as we do become more exposed. In a very strong team, it is certainly easier, but our team is relying on Clark and Coffield to be in the best 22 next year. This year I say play him. Itell you has been pleasing, and that is Ben Patton. Interestingly he just that little bit older after failing to get drafted in the year before. He certainly looks more physically capable at the moment. One year can make a big dif. imo

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Jaz wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 4:51pm
freely wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 3:48pm Just looking at the stats and I see Hunter led the tackle count yesterday. He seemed to be going all right before getting dropped. I wonder if it was tough for him to come in feeling like he was supposed to perform as some sort of hybrid Lonie/Steven replacement.
I said it in the match thread as well but I think to get nearly as many tackles as possessions is actually a negative that he is 2nd to the ball. Not sure if its speed, endurance, positioning or not wanting to get in over it and preferring to wait for someone else to go and get it then lay a tackle but any of these aren't great. Good thing is they can probably be developed/trained.
I see what you mean - I'd actually never thought about tackles like that. I always count 'em up and think they're a good thing! But of course that's right - if you let the other player take possession, you're right there to tackle them. Maybe it's a strategy rather than a weakness. Could it be?