St Kilda Football Club Gets more "Woke"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

St Kilda Football Club Gets more "Woke"

So I finished work and as im waiting for my tram i go and look at my Facebook and I see a nice pic of Nicky Winmar and Gilbert Mcadam from a couple of days ago and from 1992 after a match

its very nice and all , but I look a little closer hmmm something isnt right with the top pic ahhh they blacked out the Sponsors Logo but then i ask myself why would they do that I mean who cares who was our sponsor was 27 years ago. But wait it was a evil tobacco company so it was fine in 1992 too take the money but in 2019 we are now woke and we need too change or photoshop history

its Bull##$% So St Kilda please stop trying too rewrite our History

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda Football Club Gets more "Woke"

Wow, I actually didn't notice that when coming across the club's post on Facebook earlier today. That is quite curious. Is it because of Philip Morris being the evil tobacco corporation or because they don't want to upset our current major sponsors? Either way, it does strike me as a little odd.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Imagine McLaren taking the Malboro out of Ayrton Senna's 1980s car in historical images...

We didn't raise any objections to playing at a certain stadium despite the questionable Human Rights record in the nation of the sponsor. Likewise, China has certain complications.

I hate smoking, but geez, they were sponsor...and with it came a certain president, too.

Sorry, but just don't mess with history. And definitely don't try to re-write it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And people reckon millennials are the easily offended generation... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mcadam05
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:53pm And people reckon millennials are the easily offended generation... :roll:
Cover your eyes then :P

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

If PM want to tip a couple of mil into the kitty, then sure. Otherwise piss off you drug dealing pigs! :)
Stuffem

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
King12
Club Player

Typical of the 'Nanny World' we now live in!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:39pm
its very nice and all , but I look a little closer hmmm something isnt right with the top pic ahhh they blacked out the Sponsors Logo but then i ask myself why would they do that I mean who cares who was our sponsor was 27 years ago. But wait it was a evil tobacco company so it was fine in 1992 too take the money but in 2019 we are now woke and we need too change or photoshop history
It depends in what context the photo is displayed, if it could be construed that it is advertising and the saints would be in hot water. So depends on the context

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:39pm So I finished work and as im waiting for my tram i go and look at my Facebook and I see a nice pic of Nicky Winmar and Gilbert Mcadam from a couple of days ago and from 1992 after a match

Wow... great pic up and makes total sense.

That this would be an issue for you and so big you feel a need to write about it is the most surprising thing on this thread by miles.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's like you totally want to ignore the human health impacts.

Maybe we just need to let industries regulate themselves perhaps

We'd still have lead in petrol and in the paint that lines the inside of our houses

We'd still be using DDT in our vegie patches

Thalidomide would still be allowed to be promoted as a mild sedative and sleeping pill for pregnant women

And they'd be allowing everyone to pipe raw sewerage into our rivers and streams (how do you like them apples you fly fisherman)

Thank goodness none of you blokes are running this world

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 7:39pm So I finished work and as im waiting for my tram i go and look at my Facebook and I see a nice pic of Nicky Winmar and Gilbert Mcadam from a couple of days ago and from 1992 after a match

nothing to do with St Kilda rewriting history, its against the law to display cigarette company logos in any form

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Crazy.

The Disneyfication of history is a disturbing trend. They wiped the cigarette from John Travolta's mouth in a recent GREASE trailer. Spielberg is now under pressure to eliminate all cigarette use from his WEST SIDE STORY remake.

I don't smoke -- hate it, in fact -- but I respect history and historical context.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 8:53pm

nothing to do with St Kilda rewriting history, its against the law to display cigarette company logos in any form
I find that hard to believe.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 9:05pm

It is true. Even historic images can get you into trouble. Prosecution is rare but it is illegal. The media department is on the ball.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I get the point, but I’d really rather focus on the great effort by our club to advance the reconciliation plan, which means a lot to many people.

Always loyal
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

A quick search shows lots of copies of that picture without any photoshopping. SEN, SBS and ABC all flouting the law apparently.

More importantly, when did it become illegal to show pictures of Dale Kickett?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It is not the first time either. Im sure there are more.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 11:06pm A quick search shows lots of copies of that picture without any photoshopping. SEN, SBS and ABC all flouting the law apparently.

More importantly, when did it become illegal to show pictures of Dale Kickett?

Dale should have been called same thing as Tommy Simpkin...that is some Head

And I'm not just talking about the afro!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992
The object of the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 (the Act) is to limit the exposure of the public to messages and images that may persuade people to start or continue smoking or using tobacco products.

The Act defines ‘tobacco advertisement’ more broadly than the everyday meaning of the term. Section 9 of the Act defines a ‘tobacco advertisement’ to be any writing, still or moving picture, sign, symbol or other visual image that gives publicity to, or otherwise promotes or is intended to promote, smoking or the purchase or use of tobacco products.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly, there are heaps of images of 1992 Saints players depicting the Phillip Morris logo on their jumpers while promoting the Quit campaign. Obviously, there is also a historical commitment within the club to removing tobacco sponsorship and promoting healthier, more appropriate choices.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 11:34pm

The object of the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act 1992 (the Act) is to limit the exposure of the public to messages and images that may persuade people to start or continue smoking or using tobacco products.

The Act defines ‘tobacco advertisement’ more broadly than the everyday meaning of the term. Section 9 of the Act defines a ‘tobacco advertisement’ to be any writing, still or moving picture, sign, symbol or other visual image that gives publicity to, or otherwise promotes or is intended to promote, smoking or the purchase or use of tobacco products.
It would have to be a very strict interpretation of that act that causes us to photoshop images of a couple of club legends. In my opinion, it’s more likely the club don’t want to be associated with cigarette advertising, and I’m okay with that.

Having said that, I noticed in the recent story on Plugger v the Swans they made no attempt to photoshop the Tooheys logo.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ch 10 had a one-hour special on P Brock a few months ago.
In all the vision of his cars speeding around Mt Panorama, the 'Marlboro' logo was pixellated.
Ch 10- their motor racing show RPM- shows historical vision of car racing from the 80's, and one of the best looking cars, Jim Richards' black n gold BMW, has the JPS logo pixellated out.
And anytime I see Ayrton Senna's car on TV, the Malboro logo gets pixellated too.

This thread is a bit silly and irrelevant.
Move on, please

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
outside66
Club Player

I think it is against the AFL social media/advertising policy to distribute cigarette advertising material. Irrespective of that, Nicky is an ambassador for the Heart Foundation so I reckon it makes plenty of sense to photoshop out a cigarette company. You'll find a lot of photoshopping going on when photos are circulated from previous seasons where old sponsors are cut out. It makes sense, why give them free advertising when we aren't getting anything out of it? The real focus should be on the Saints getting involved with the RAP, awesome news!

mcadam05
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 1:47pm Ch 10 had a one-hour special on P Brock a few months ago.
In all the vision of his cars speeding around Mt Panorama, the 'Marlboro' logo was pixellated.
Ch 10- their motor racing show RPM- shows historical vision of car racing from the 80's, and one of the best looking cars, Jim Richards' black n gold BMW, has the JPS logo pixellated out.
And anytime I see Ayrton Senna's car on TV, the Malboro logo gets pixellated too.

This thread is a bit silly and irrelevant.
Move on, please
Really I thought this was a forum for st kilda supporters too give a opinion? But I guess the the club trying too change history too suit 2019 ideals isn't worth a mention

Special
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 8:02am
BringBackMadDog wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 11:34pm

It would have to be a very strict interpretation of that act that causes us to photoshop images of a couple of club legends. In my opinion, it’s more likely the club don’t want to be associated with cigarette advertising, and I’m okay with that.

Having said that, I noticed in the recent story on Plugger v the Swans they made no attempt to photoshop the Tooheys logo.
I doubt you’ll get a response from the mad dog on this.

I agree with you. I reckon it’s our club trying to be ultra PC and has nothing to do with breaking the law, which I highly doubt they are

It’s absurd to force every tobacco logo to be photoshopped from every historical image. Pretty easy to understand that!