No....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: No....

ss1986 wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 6:34pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 6:30pm
ss1986 wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 6:00pm If I was Hunter Clark or Coffield I’d leave.

Watching Jack Newnes play every week for 115 games in a row nauseates me.... and I’m not ‘behind’ him on a plying list.

Maybe we can start by playing players who wpuld respect the jumper... or more accurately.... havent yet disrespected the jumper.
Not to mention repetitive. Just like a nuffy.
BackFromUSA.... over to you
And that is your main goal.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Ape_Man
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote:
Ape_Man wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 6:23pm
Annoyedsaint wrote:Tip everyone out and start again.
No ridiculous decisions to appoint or extend contracts

If something clearly isn’t working then keep changing things until it does. Holding on to players for 6-7 years who let you down so much is number one.
Newnes, Dunstan prime examples.

Coaches should have 3 years (4 years max). That includes assistants, if nothing is happening then it’s time to change.
I’m prepared to give players slightly longer to play under two coaching styles. No improvement and they go as well.

Club marketing is awful.
We play dumb chants are a goal that everyone groans at, promote everything in society except winning.
Every single cent should be currently spent on winning. Forget everything else.

Finally, absolute huge pipe dream, but playing at Moorabbin should be a long term goal. 30,000 stadium, supporters would get behind it. We are currently soul less at Marvel, supporters looking for every excuse not to go.
Stadium is half empty and people need to sit up the top deck. Guaranteed all the empty seats on level 1 are not reserved. Little things all add up.

I’ve pushed through bad times, go most weeks but even last year I finally cracked it. No change and expecting things to change for the better is just stupidity.

You make excellent points.

The club has been letting us down now for a long, long time.

People recently complained about low attendance. I don’t think supporters are to blame, it is all on the club.

If they want a supporters hard earned money they should do something to deserve it.

Right now the best way would be throughout hope. If they can’t give us that then find another way.

Maybe develop a game style that is exciting, or exhilarating.

I don’t know the answer but I do know that not winning games and rarely scoring is not going to work for anyone.

I posted last year about how Disney built the Marvel universe and how St Kilda should think about building something over years and not a pre season.

The club is in the entertainment business, whether they like it or not.

So entertain the supporters, or lose their money and interest elsewhere.
Might cost 80 million and take 25 years to fund before it got started.
I for one would pay an extra $100 a year into a fund. Multiply that by ‘x’ amount of members/supporters/business connections, etc.
I’m sure governments of the day kick in as it benefits the region.

As for match day. No way I’m paying $60 to sit on level 2 or 2 at Marvel, nor should we when there’s so many unsold seats. All about supply and demand, if there’s 40,000 watching then fair enough. Gotta be incentives to get people there when times are bad.

I don’t care about gimmicks which are classed as crowd interaction. This isn’t America, they do it well with a willing crowd....here no one cares. My interaction is during a game, except there’s nothing to currently cheer.
I love this club, but it is really hard to find something to cheer for.

I am old enough to remember to dark times of the early 80’s.

But then this young upstart from Ballarat appeared, then some magician from WA, then a man with hands the size of watermelons, then a freak that could weave gold through packs, then a nugget of bloke that could withstand nuclear blasts, and so on...

It was hope. It was exciting. It was worth watching.

I could go to a game and expect the extraordinary from someone.

Now I hope we can kick 10.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

They had better players out than we did, and played one down for a majority of the game.

Couldn’t convert, same problem for the last 3 seasons, which is the number 1 reason Cho has got to go, thought he probably should have addressed it by now!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires destroyed our momentum time and time again. We had them on the ropes but the umpires kept relieving the pressure for Collingwood.

Geary Webster Carlisle Roberton Steven Hannebery Lonie McCartin Austin Pearce is a horrendous injury list.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:17pm Umpires destroyed our momentum time and time again. We had them on the ropes but the umpires kept relieving the pressure for Collingwood.

Geary Webster Carlisle Roberton Steven Hannebery Lonie McCartin Austin Pearce is a horrendous injury list.
Wrong.

The only thing more incompetent than our coach is your judgement on umpiring.

saintkid
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:17pm Umpires destroyed our momentum time and time again. We had them on the ropes but the umpires kept relieving the pressure for Collingwood.

Might as well add Hamill's 2 weeks to that list because with some of the those players named, the likelihood of playing consistently, if at all, is very low and won't help the club become a finals contender.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:37pm

Wrong.

Their first goal was from two mistakes from umpires then it was only 21 -10. I called it last week we would get teamed by the umpires and we did.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

3 of those players may never play for us again though, and 1 of them never has, and maybe never will either.

We've been rebuilding since 2013 and apart from the guys we've picked up over the summer, I think the list has been severely hampered by a shocking lack of player development.

Apart from cameos over the past 6 and a half seasons the club has really made some atrocious decisions in recruitment and list management, and in some cases I really struggle to understand how decisions were rubber stamped - extension of coach's contract, recruitment of injured players on a long term contract, long term assistants and staff appear to be at the club in perpetuity despite us not progressing meaningfully. Some of these decisions certainly appear to be at odds with the long term success of the club.

We're not uncompetitive, but to quote an ex-high profile coach, we have become 'annoyingly boring' to watch, and if you want people to travel an hour or more to watch you play you need to give us something to look forward to.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:37pm

Might as well add Hamill's 2 weeks to that list because with some of the those players named, the likelihood of playing consistently, if at all, is very low and won't help the club become a finals contender.
I fear you may be right on the money there saintkid. :(

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:41pm

Wrong.

Their first goal was from two mistakes from umpires then it was only 21 -10. I called it last week we would get teamed by the umpires and we did.
Yep our first goal was from a very very soft 50, good point!

Learn the rules.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 8:05pm

3 of those players may never play for us again though, and 1 of them never has, and maybe never will either.

We've been rebuilding since 2013 and apart from the guys we've picked up over the summer, I think the list has been severely hampered by a shocking lack of player development.

Apart from cameos over the past 6 and a half seasons the club has really made some atrocious decisions in recruitment and list management, and in some cases I really struggle to understand how decisions were rubber stamped - extension of coach's contract, recruitment of injured players on a long term contract, long term assistants and staff appear to be at the club in perpetuity despite us not progressing meaningfully. Some of these decisions certainly appear to be at odds with the long term success of the club.

We're not uncompetitive, but to quote an ex-high profile coach, we have become 'annoyingly boring' to watch, and if you want people to travel an hour or more to watch you play you need to give us something to look forward to.
There on our list and are unavailable which clearly effects our depth and options. Even having King and Brytel as long term waits effects our depth.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 8:08pm

Wrong.

Learn the rules.
Our first goal was a 50 that was paid after Young was pushed after he completed a mark. Clear 50 and was on the wing when paid. There first goal came from the umpire refusing to pin Phillips for seeing a tackler come towards and ducking into him. Clear holding the ball. Then kicks the ball deep Mihochek takes on three tacklers eventually flops gets in the back. Goal

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 8:29pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 8:08pm

Wrong.

Learn the rules.
Our first goal was a 50 that was paid after Young was pushed after he completed a mark. Clear 50 and was on the wing when paid. There first goal came from the umpire refusing to pin Phillips for seeing a tackler come towards and ducking into him. Clear holding the ball. Then kicks the ball deep Mihochek takes on three tacklers eventually flops gets in the back. Goal
Wrong.

derby Street
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:14pm They had better players out than we did, and played one down for a majority of the game.

Couldn’t convert, same problem for the last 3 seasons, which is the number 1 reason Cho has got to go, thought he probably should have addressed it by now!
So it's only the saints that have suffered from this affliction ? Records indicate that the accuracy % has fallen for the last 3 years - surely that can't be all attributed to the saints.

Ape_Man
Club Player

derby Street wrote:
The_Dud wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 7:14pm They had better players out than we did, and played one down for a majority of the game.

So it's only the saints that have suffered from this affliction ? Records indicate that the accuracy % has fallen for the last 3 years - surely that can't be all attributed to the saints.
I’d like some more data on this.

Gut feeling is more snaps these days because few players can kick on their opposite side.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 5:39pm Jack Steven doesn’t rate a mention?
Or Jimmy Webster?

derby Street
Club Player

Ape_Man wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 9:47pm
derby Street wrote:

I’d like some more data on this.

Gut feeling is more snaps these days because few players can kick on their opposite side.
Good point - probably a whole raft of reasons. More pressure from the opposition, shots from further out, more shots on the run, fatigue??? Whilst our goal kicking gives me the absolute sh!ts watch other games and you see other teams having the same issues.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But if experience and stats tell you that you are going to have 20 shots at goal should you not coach to maximise that. If a player cannot kick 70% shooting within the 45 deg. angles from inside the arc he should not be a forward, no matter how good he looks getting the ball or running around. If you are on an angle more than 50 deg. then pass and practice so there are always options for that. Have a few set plays for when the ball is coming in. The opposition may work out what they are but with options you can still execute with practice. Having Josh Bruce as a key forward, as much as I love him and his general effort and sometimes marking, is just wasting opportunities. His kicking is poor at the moment. Could he play in the middle a bit and rough up opposition mids, down back and crash packs? We need to be smarter and realistic and flexible. What was the phrase above, "annoyingly boring"? After so many losses in a row and years of losing it's becoming annoyingly frustrating as well. The club is likely to loose a generation of supporters through the Richo era. Do not recruit a guy as a forward if his kicking is not better than 50% over a good period. Clearly better kicking cannot be coached, you either have it or you don't. Or have all our kicking coaches been duds.

Vazelos
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 5:36pm Plus we were also missing 5 first team players if we want to play that stupid game.

Hanners, Carlisle, Geary, Lonie, Roberton.
We were missing Steven and Mc cartin as well

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

4 consecutive losses now.

Ouch.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
twirlyhair
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 9:45am 4 consecutive losses now.

Ouch.
Yes, but should you realistically expect our list to compete with those top 8 sides? We are not a top 8 side. Thats why we lose to top 8 sides. Simple really.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 8:35am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 5:36pm Plus we were also missing 5 first team players if we want to play that stupid game.

Hanners, Carlisle, Geary, Lonie, Roberton.
We were missing Steven and Mc cartin as well

Yeah we have a shocking injury list with our backline decimated. No teams can cover the amount of injuries we have.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 10:23am

Ouch.
Yes, but should you realistically expect our list to compete with those top 8 sides? We are not a top 8 side. Thats why we lose to top 8 sides. Simple really.
Hawks beat GWS. So did Freo. Adelaide have also been beaten by a number of teams.

4 consecutive losses hurts and no one likes losing. We’re obviously not a top 8 team but I wasn’t making a comment on whether we were a top 8 side or not but feel free to continue to respond to and strawman every post I make.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
twirlyhair
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 12:07pm
twirlyhair wrote: Sun 19 May 2019 10:23am

Ouch.
Hawks beat GWS. So did Freo. Adelaide have also been beaten by a number of teams.

4 consecutive losses hurts and no one likes losing. We’re obviously not a top 8 team but I wasn’t making a comment on whether we were a top 8 side or not but feel free to continue to respond to and strawman every post I make.

Don't take it personally buddy.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Sat 18 May 2019 9:40pm

We were the second worst team for goal kicking accuracy in both 2017 and 2018, so combining those years we were prob the worst over the last 2 seasons.