What is the word on Geary?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t look good. Anyone heard?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is the word on Geary?

suspected fracture lower leg

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Season?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

You'd have to think so.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Schillaci
Club Player

suspected broken ankle

source MMM report
Last edited by Schillaci on Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I googled "surgery plane flight" and got a blog by a Perth ortho surgeon, who says "no long international flights for six weeks after lower limb surgery" due to "increased risks of deep vein thrombosis".
So looks like Capt is away from loved ones for a fair while.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

F***

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

On the news they were saying it might be a fractured fibula. Not good, but that's the smaller bone in the lower leg. Also said he was able to walk on it after the game. You'd still have to think he'll be missing a few matches.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

IS a fractured fibular. Will be lucky to play the very back end of the season.

By God we walked under a ladder this year. There was a black cat with green eyes holding it steady.
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sun 02 Jun 2019 9:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-06- ... rryn-geary
St Kilda Football Club advises captain Jarryn Geary has sustained a fractured fibula.

X-rays immediately after the game confirmed a clean fracture low down in his left leg.

GM of Football Simon Lethlean said Geary would miss an extended period.

“Unfortunately x-rays confirmed a break which means Jarryn will be sidelined for a number of weeks,” he said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Geary’s travel back to Australia will not be impacted by the injur
y.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:37pm I googled "surgery plane flight" and got a blog by a Perth ortho surgeon, who says "no long international flights for six weeks after lower limb surgery" due to "increased risks of deep vein thrombosis".
So looks like Capt is away from loved ones for a fair while.
Worst thing you can ever do is google Dr Google.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighettMan
Club Player

Geary is a disgrace, should be sacked for not staying on the field and abandoning his post.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:47pm Geary is a disgrace, should be sacked for not staying on the field and abandoning his post.
How about this; Take out the emotion, take out the events after the injury, and take out the feelings you have for Jarryn Geary the person and let's just objectively assess his game. How would you rate Gear'y performance, especially early on when the game was in the balance and we were matching them in most areas prior to half time?

Now, I'm not just asking HighettMan to do that, because everyone knows that he wouldn't answer the question directly and he'd deflect and attack me, rather than address the issue of Geary's performance during the match. There was a lot of footy coming his way and he had a total of 4 kicks, 9 handballs and 1 tackle.

In my opinion he lacked his usual aggression and looked slow at times, but the most damning thing was that he fumbled and he handed the footy back to the opposition on too many occasions when the footy was loose or when they hunted us in their forward line. I'm not questioning our captain's courage or character or his preparation or fitness or his ability to galvanise his troops as a leader. All I want to assess here is his performance with ball in hand.

There's a whole thread on Nick Coffield with people looking for scapegoats. What about pointing the finger at our senior players and the real culprits like our leaders; the captain, the stand in captain and the head coach for selecting Geary when he definitely needed a run at Sandringham.

Mentally and physically it makes sense that a player gets match conditioning when they've had a laong lay off. Gears had a horrific injury and I believe he needed a run with Sandringham. I also posted these thoughts in the thread regarding changes for the round prior to the match. 6-7 weeks is a long time without a hit out and without playing a contact sport in a competitive environment.

I was hearing that Sam Jacobs was having a run in the SANFL last week. Here you have a guy who is undoubtedly one of the most important players for Adelaide and one of the more senior players in that side, and yet his head coach decides that after a 6-7 week lay off that it would be beneficial for that player (and the team as a whole) for Sauce to have a run and gain touch and gain confidence in the magoos.

This is another example of why Richo is not cut out for this caper. If Richo was in Pyke's shoes he would have rushed him back in. If Richo was in Clarko's shoes he would have never dropped Jarryd Roughead. Richo does not understand about setting standards and how important it is for everyone on the list to be treated equally.

Yes, there will be players who can come back and have superb touch and not lose any confidence with their skills, but when you have a bloke like Geary who is not the most skillful footballer even when he's in peak form, you have to question the decision making from St Kilda's footy department and its head coach
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 05 Jun 2019 1:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Geary clearly came back too early, it was obvious in a number of contests, and I think it unfortunately lead to his injury.

Surely Curly can get him on the blower and find out exactly how he’s going?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 1:35pm
HighettMan wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:47pm Geary is a disgrace, should be sacked for not staying on the field and abandoning his post.
How about this; Take out the emotion, take out the events after the injury, and take out the feelings you have for Jarryn Geary the person and let's just objectively assess his game. How would you rate Gear'y performance, especially early on when the game was in the balance and we were matching them in most areas prior to half time?

Now, I'm not just asking HighettMan to do that, because everyone knows that he wouldn't answer the question directly and he'd deflect and attack me, rather than address the issue of Geary's performance during the match. There was a lot of footy coming his way and he had a total of 4 kicks, 9 handballs and 1 tackle.

In my opinion he lacked his usual aggression and looked slow at times, but the most damning thing was that he fumbled and he handed the footy back to the opposition on too many occasions when the footy was loose or when they hunted us in their forward line. I'm not questioning our captain's courage or character or his reparation or fitness or his ability to galvanise his troops as a leader. All I want to assess here is his performance with ball in hand.

There's a whole thread on Nick Coffield with people looking for scapegoats. What about pointing the finger at our senior players and the real culprits like our leaders; the captain, the stand in captain and the head coach for selecting Geary when he definitely needed a run at Sandringham

I was hearing that Sam Jacobs was having a run in the SANFL last week. Here you have a huy who is undoubtedly one of the most important players for Adelaide and one of the more senior players in that side, and yet his head coach decides that after a 6-7 week lay off that it would be beneficial for that player (and the team as a whole) for Sauce to have a run and gain touch and gain confidence in the magoos.

This is another example of why Richo is not cut out for this caper. If Richo was in Pyke's shoes he would have rushed him back in. If Richo was in Clarko's shoes he would have never dropped Jarryd Roughead. Richo does not understand about setting standards and how important it is for everyone on the list to be treated equally.

Yes, there will be players who can come back and have superb touch and not lose any confidence with their skills, but when you have a bloke like Geary who is not the most skillful footballer even when he's in peak form, you have to question the decision making from St Kilda's footy department and its head coach
Pretty well annunciated. Before I gave up watching any more of it half-time in a bid to not end up angry and frustrated at the end of a weekend - I thought Geary looked a mile off the pace. He's always been iffy at best with ball in hand but his courage, running power and desire has helped mitigate that. Quite rightly, he looked a little tentative but more than anything, he looked out of touch. Again, completely understandable. For the record - I don't blame Gears for that - (he's missed a bit of footy and the touch, speed and game awareness comes and goes quickly) - unless he made a Captain's call and insisted on playing.

But - if that's not the case - who in the fvck thought it would be a good idea to take him to China a week before the bye to play? He's never been that good of a player to demand an instant recall to the Seniors (galant yes but, he's no Fyfe, Martin, Danger etc). He clearly needed a run at Sandy.

In closing, your Honour - a massive fvck you to the Match Committee and/or anyone else who was a party to that very, very poor decision to play Geary.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The injury was a freak accident. Let's not cloud this with anything else apart from his performance.

How did he perform for the time that he was on the ground and supposedly trying to have an influence as a player? Was his performance looking like he was going to play a part in that first half so we could get a win?

Did he compete well and were his disposals and tackles significant? Did he have an influence in the backline and match or beat their forwards?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 1:48pm The injury was a freak accident. Let's not cloud this with anything else apart from his performance.
I disagree. I think he was tackled (causing the injury) because he was plodding through the middle with no awareness and took too long to pull the trigger. A fit (mentally and physically) Geary wouldn’t have got caught.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

well put by scollop, makes total sense.
There was the time Rooey made the call to play the first Maddie's Match,
and Richo said Rooey was iffy but insisted, but Rooey is that superhuman once-in-a-generation athlete
and I think Gears is like Nick Maxwell, or Mike Gatting of England cricket,
neither had much talent but were great leaders.

Grant Thomas was ropable on Twitter, saying why fly him to China - 22 hours return,
in his condition. No benefit to the team or player.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
derby Street
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 2:12pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 1:48pm The injury was a freak accident. Let's not cloud this with anything else apart from his performance.
I disagree. I think he was tackled (causing the injury) because he was plodding through the middle with no awareness and took too long to pull the trigger. A fit (mentally and physically) Geary wouldn’t have got caught.
Tend to agree with Dud - that said plenty get tackled like that and do not end up with a broken leg.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 1:39pm Geary clearly came back too early, it was obvious in a number of contests, and I think it unfortunately lead to his injury.

Surely Curly can get him on the blower and find out exactly how he’s going?
No problem Dud I will ask his brother tonight at interleague training. Bellend. :roll: :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL