Unpopular Opinion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_President
Club Player

Re: Unpopular Opinion

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:17pm Bump

What gives me the s***s is that people's opinions and judgements on players are influenced by players poor efforts when they are playing sore or injured. Bruce was best on versus Collingwood and again in our best players in the match against the Eagles. When he is 100% fit he is easily one of our top players.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-02/ ... m=facebook

If I was a player who was on a contract that had match payments and incentives based on how many games I played, I would be putting my hand up to play as well. It's up to coaches and the footy department to have the balls to say NO!

Josh Bruce was one of the best on ground this year in Round 2 versus Essendon. He apparantly fractured a bone in his spine in round 3 versus Freo and received a corkie in the Round 3 win versus Melbourne. He was basically stuffed and couldn't play footy in that first quarter versus Adelaide and the coach admitted that he shouldn't have played him.

With all the information that has come to hand it is so disappointing that Richo does not have faith in using his young charges who could play a role and at least compete at 100% fitness
Doesn't change anything. Bruce is at best a B grade forward.

Relying on him to be our number one key target in attack is abysmal.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Round 3 Fremantle. Round 4 was when we beat Melbourne

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Our coaching and gameplan is abysmal.

Remember the look on Riewoldt's face and the flapping arms during 2013-2016?

Our midfielders kicking to advantage is abysmal

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Plays injured
Plays out of position regularly
Plays in an undersized forward line
Plays with a midfield incapable of honouring his leads with the expectation that he pulls down 5-6 pack marks a game

When he was fit, firing, playing mainly as a forward in a midfield that wasn’t as abysmal with adequate support...
Coincided with his best season

Go figure

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Brucey needs help. He plays as if he has 3 different roles at the same time.

Having a genuine superstar forward in the side would help Membrey and Bruce so much. King kicked another 3 in the magoos yesterday...

As for the team, I’ve given up with the kicking for goal... it’s like a fluke if it actually goes through now. Cant recall a worse team in front of goal in all my years around footy.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_President
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:51pm Plays injured
Plays out of position regularly
Plays in an undersized forward line
Plays with a midfield incapable of honouring his leads with the expectation that he pulls down 5-6 pack marks a game

When he was fit, firing, playing mainly as a forward in a midfield that wasn’t as abysmal with adequate support...
Coincided with his best season

Go figure
Only good season*

Kicked 50, mainly due to big bags against bottom 4 teams like Essendon and GC. Did nothing against good teams and finished the season serioulsy poorly. Provided nothing since.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

No forward can thrive in our current set up.

I do agree that he’s more your number 2 forward, needs another A grade big man to take some heat off him.

If that happened I could easily see him being a consistent 40-50 goal season player.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

That is why Max King needs to come in and start developing. We needs 3 big forwards - King, Bruce and Membrey.

Plus we need another mobile ruck/forward to back up Marshall this off season. Lycett would have been a good pickup.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_President
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:33pm That is why Max King needs to come in and start developing. We needs 3 big forwards - King, Bruce and Membrey.

Plus we need another mobile ruck/forward to back up Marshall this off season. Lycett would have been a good pickup.
If we bring in King this year to be the number 1 forward in this line up. We may as well retire him now.

We need to protect him. Let him grow and develop in the VFL. Let him build his body first. If he comes in and gets the delivery that our forwards get, he'd get killed.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Disagree. I reckon King could handle the AFL footy cauldron. He is a big and very smart boy intellectually. He will debut soon. Bookmark it.

He won't be no 1 for a couple of seasons yet but he will get there.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

The_President wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:35pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:33pm That is why Max King needs to come in and start developing. We needs 3 big forwards - King, Bruce and Membrey.

If we bring in King this year to be the number 1 forward in this line up. We may as well retire him now.

We need to protect him. Let him grow and develop in the VFL. Let him build his body first. If he comes in and gets the delivery that our forwards get, he'd get killed.
Or we could consider improving our delivery.

The_President
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:37pm Disagree. I reckon King could handle the AFL footy cauldron. He is a big and very smart boy intellectually. He will debut soon. Bookmark it.

He won't be no 1 for a couple of seasons yet but he will get there.
I've got no doubt he will debut. Just wonder if it's better to let him play out in the VFL this year and protect him a little bit. Let him win the VFL goal kicking, give him a couple of games at the end of the year and then spend the offseason building him.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

If King deserves a game then he should debut. Same as other first year players like his brother, Walsh, Rozee, etc. The U/18 comp prepares these kids very well now as does the VFL which is the second best comp in Australia.

Total = 1.
The_President
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:45pm If King deserves a game then he should debut. Same as other first year players like his brother, Walsh, Rozee, etc. The U/18 comp prepares these kids very well now as does the VFL which is the second best comp in Australia.

Yes but we're talking about bringing a 200cm beanpole into a forward line that just bombs the ball long to packs and lets their forwards get smashed.

repta
Club Player

Not that good but is not that bad

He is adaptable and can play a role.

Until someone better comes along he will get a game.

I think he suffers a bit from persception. He does some things really well but then goes missing. His good is very good, we just dont see it enough.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:49pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:45pm If King deserves a game then he should debut. Same as other first year players like his brother, Walsh, Rozee, etc. The U/18 comp prepares these kids very well now as does the VFL which is the second best comp in Australia.

Yes but we're talking about bringing a 200cm beanpole into a forward line that just bombs the ball long to packs and lets their forwards get smashed.
Precisely.

The cherry on top would probably be Cho making him chop out in the ruck!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:38pm
The_President wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:35pm

Or we could consider improving our delivery.
You would think, but it hasn’t changed in 5 years!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 6:48pm Hard to shine in our forward line with our piece of s**t gameplan.
We have a game plan!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The_President wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:49pm

Our F50 entries aren't the best at times and it needs big improvement but it's no reason to not play a genuine future star. They have to start somewhere. I don't agree that our forwards just get smashed every week either. Membrey has kicked a lot of goals this year. We do bomb it a bit at times but so do a lot of sides as a get out and percentage kick.

Total = 1.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately all that preparation in the U/18 & VFL appears to unravel when given an opportunity in the StK seniors. Our kids do not get the support or faith of our coach it seems, that appears reserved for the mediocre "senior" members.

It was on show with the Port kids yesterday & the whole of this season what opportunity and an extended run can do for a talented kid's confidence.

My guess is the scapegoats for yesterday's debacle will be Coffield, Phillips, Joyce & Young.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I was surprised/interested to hear Riewoldt full of praise for Young during the broadcast.

Club Player

disagree with the original post. Bruce is one of our best and will be even better when he doesn't have to be the stop gap for our deficiencies. 50 goals in the modern AFL is not a fluke. His kicking problem is an issue but he is not alone there. A forward line of King, Membrey, Bruce and assorted smalls will be tough to hold.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 6:30pm I was surprised/interested to hear Riewoldt full of praise for Young during the broadcast.
I'd be interested to know what he said. Watched the game in a pub so didn't hear the commentary.

The_President
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 6:35pm disagree with the original post. Bruce is one of our best and will be even better when he doesn't have to be the stop gap for our deficiencies. 50 goals in the modern AFL is not a fluke. His kicking problem is an issue but he is not alone there. A forward line of King, Membrey, Bruce and assorted smalls will be tough to hold.
Jack Anthony once kicked 50 goals in a season.

HighettMan
Club Player

The_President wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:44pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:17pm Bump

What gives me the s***s is that people's opinions and judgements on players are influenced by players poor efforts when they are playing sore or injured. Bruce was best on versus Collingwood and again in our best players in the match against the Eagles. When he is 100% fit he is easily one of our top players.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-02/ ... m=facebook

If I was a player who was on a contract that had match payments and incentives based on how many games I played, I would be putting my hand up to play as well. It's up to coaches and the footy department to have the balls to say NO!

Josh Bruce was one of the best on ground this year in Round 2 versus Essendon. He apparantly fractured a bone in his spine in round 3 versus Freo and received a corkie in the Round 3 win versus Melbourne. He was basically stuffed and couldn't play footy in that first quarter versus Adelaide and the coach admitted that he shouldn't have played him.

With all the information that has come to hand it is so disappointing that Richo does not have faith in using his young charges who could play a role and at least compete at 100% fitness
Doesn't change anything. Bruce is at best a B grade forward.

Relying on him to be our number one key target in attack is abysmal.
You're right, it doesn't change a thing, you still have bugger all footy knowledge. It's childish to only come out after a loss and repeat such stupidity.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism