ATT: RICHO BASHERS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

ATT: RICHO BASHERS

Even though I don't rate Carey as a good bloke, his understanding of footy cannot be questioned. Interesting article from him on the age where he offers a pretty reasonable assessment of Richo. If only some of the sheep on here would cut the bloke some slack...

He's under pressure, but Alan Richardson is arguably coach of the year
WAYNE CAREY JUNE 20, 2019
In what has already been an eventful year for the coaching fraternity, with one coach standing down and another sacked, it seems there's more movement to come.

If history is any guide, North Melbourne and Carlton's hunt for a new coach could mean a few other clubs might get a little jumpy.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is under pressure, but under the circumstances has done well.
St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is under pressure, but under the circumstances has done well.Credit:AAP

But while I had St Kilda's Alan Richardson as the man most under pressure in the pre-season, he shouldn't be in that category anymore.

Yet, from everything we keep hearing, he is.

The noise that's been emerging around the Saints in regard to what Richardson needs to do to get an extension is astounding.

If St Kilda's expectation at the start of the season was for him to win a final this year, then they're delusional. Heaven help the next coach if that's the benchmark.

That's not to say the Saints can't win a final, but simply to acknowledge how unlikely that would be given where they were coming from after last year.

While Richardson has had six years at the helm to get things right, let's not forget the terrible state of the list he inherited.

With an ageing demographic and limited young talent, he was always going to face a long and difficult challenge.
He also faced the delicate task of retiring club champions Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sam Fisher.

The 11-win season of 2017, when the Saints only missed out on finals by one game and percentage, was an overachievement.

Last year certainly wasn't a great season, but probably a closer reflection of where the Saints were at.

Their record this year, at six wins and six losses, is incredible when you factor in the injuries the club has had to deal with.

Not all of those victories have been pretty, and the Saints have fallen over the line twice against the Gold Coast, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

They're just a game outside the eight, despite being without their captain Jarryn Geary for much of the season.

Their best defender, Jake Carlisle, hasn't played after back surgery and big-name recruit Dan Hannebery is only now set to make his debut for the club.

Paddy McCartin's year has again been ruined by concussion and the Saints best player over the past six or seven years, Jack Steven, has been battling mental health issues.

He's a four-time best and fairest winner and managed only four games in 2019.

If you'd said at the start of the year that St Kilda would be missing all of those players for extended periods, you'd take a 6-6 record in a heartbeat.

So why isn't Richardson getting much credit? Is it because he wasn't a superstar in his playing days like certain others in the competition?

The Saints have been without key personnel at times this season, including skipper Jarryn Geary.Credit:AAP

Some might argue Nathan Buckley wouldn't have lasted as long without being a champion of Collingwood, and the overwhelming support of club president Eddie McGuire.

Is Richardson overlooked because he's been surrounded by highly rated new assistants in Brendon Lade and Brett Ratten? It's funny how that often works. Struggle, it's the coach's fault. Do well, it's the assistants.

Or is it because the Saints are a little off-Broadway, tucked away down at Moorabbin?

Regardless, I think you can mount a case to say he's just about coach of the year under the circumstances.

Of course, the Saints' finish to the season will be important. They can't afford to fall off a cliff in the next 10 rounds if Richardson wants to keep his job.

There are plenty of murmurs about what is already going on behind the scenes that could complicate his future.

We know about the relationship Brad Scott has with Saints footy boss Simon Lethlean and another senior voice in the football department, Graeme "Gubby" Allan.

What that means for Richardson is yet to play out.

But from what we've seen this year the players are clearly still playing for him. At their best they still play a high-energy, high-pressure type of game.

While the Saints probably aren't as gung-ho as they were a few years ago, they still have an attractive brand and have been in more games for longer.

After trips to China and then Townsville, they'll welcome the return home.

Grab win No.7 of the year against Brisbane at Marvel Stadium on Saturday and they're right in the September picture with a fairly reasonable run home.

And for Alan Richardson, simply being around the mark is surely more than enough to ensure he's safe.

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: ATT: RICHO BASHERS

Compelling arguements.
Suspect much will depend on the next 3 rounds

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Some on this forum will have you believe we have a premiership contending list and if you disagree your not “real” supporter.... That being said Richo has got to go, never rated him and of our 6 wins how many could’ve easily gone the other way?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

This will be fun...

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Crossy66
Club Player

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 4:58pm Some on this forum will have you believe we have a premiership contending list and if you disagree your not “real” supporter.... That being said Richo has got to go, never rated him and of our 6 wins how many could’ve easily gone the other way?
Of course you are entitled to form an opinion. And so is wayne Carey. Wonder how respective track records compare :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 4:58pm Some on this forum will have you believe we have a premiership contending list and if you disagree your not “real” supporter.... That being said Richo has got to go, never rated him and of our 6 wins how many could’ve easily gone the other way?
I think Cary's opinion is 10 times more valid than yours.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

What’s his excuse for the previous 5 years?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
outside66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:14pm What’s his excuse for the previous 5 years?
I believe this was acknowledged in the article...

"While Richardson has had six years at the helm to get things right, let's not forget the terrible state of the list he inherited.

With an ageing demographic and limited young talent, he was always going to face a long and difficult challenge.
He also faced the delicate task of retiring club champions Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sam Fisher.

The 11-win season of 2017, when the Saints only missed out on finals by one game and percentage, was an overachievement.

Last year certainly wasn't a great season, but probably a closer reflection of where the Saints were at."

Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:14pm What’s his excuse for the previous 5 years?
54.5% in 2016
50% in 2017
50% in 2019.

First 2 years cap list( no one disputes)
2018 aberration
Simplest!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:21pm
54.5% in 2016
50% in 2017
50% in 2019.

2018 aberration
Simplest!
Which years were the aberration?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:23pm
Crossy66 wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:21pm
54.5% in 2016
50% in 2017
50% in 2019.

2018 aberration
Simplest!
Which years were the aberration?
The one in four that was different, hence the term aberration

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Carey's opinion is worth 100 of mine, because I, like Jon Snow...
But I still value my own opinion, in my own little bubble of ignorance.
If (when) Richo goes, I will do flippin cartwheels.
As will many others.
My opinion don't matter a hoot to anyone but me.
But I'll feel better when he does the Brexit

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

need to keep winning the "must win" games
which they all seem to be ...........

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

So if David King wrote that the Saints will never win a flag under Richo, would he also be right?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

How much did we lose to Crows by?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

'They have an attractive brand'?
F50 entries of Auskick standard.
Tell me what's to like about our 'brand'.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes I think he has coached better this year.

But I think that there are ongoing issues like our forward line entries that after coaching for so long indicate that he is not the answer.

Development of youth was meant to have been a key reason of why he was appointed.

I look at our youth at Sandi and in the seniors over his tenure and see little that strikes me as a great developer of young talent.

Marshall is now exciting everyone as a No 1 ruck. But was he groomed for that role at Sandi? No he was not. More we played him in that role in the seniors as all the ruckman apart from the inexperienced rookie Ali were out injured.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

AT : ALL RICHO LOVERS..say goodbye to him at the end of the season

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:14pm AT : ALL RICHO LOVERS..say goodbye to him at the end of the season
Time will tell. In fact all will be revealed come season's end, I would think.

HighettMan
Club Player

What would Duck know...hang on!

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
HarryM
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:14pm AT : ALL RICHO LOVERS..say goodbye to him at the end of the season

Give it a rest. :roll:

Crossy66
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 5:52pm So if David King wrote that the Saints will never win a flag under Richo, would he also be right?
That's his opinion. I dont rate his footy nous as high as Carey.
I also take that to mean that he thinks Richo will get us to a grand final, but just wont win it. Otherwise he would have said" we wont make a gf under richo :D

Crossy66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:10pm Yes I think he has coached better this year.

But I think that there are ongoing issues like our forward line entries that after coaching for so long indicate that he is not the answer.

Development of youth was meant to have been a key reason of why he was appointed.

I look at our youth at Sandi and in the seniors over his tenure and see little that strikes me as a great developer of young talent.

Marshall is now exciting everyone as a No 1 ruck. But was he groomed for that role at Sandi? No he was not. More we played him in that role in the seniors as all the ruckman apart from the inexperienced rookie Ali were out injured.
I thought ratten was the forward and transition coach. Must be no good either.
Regarding developing players, I think we have done agreat job albeit through adversity. I e. Marshall, battle, wilke, parker, patton, plus ongoing improvement from billings gresh, Steele etc. Etc

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

HarryM wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:25pm

Give it a rest. :roll:
sorry Harry for countering the BS Richo love going on around here.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 20 Jun 2019 6:21pm
Time will tell. In fact all will be revealed come season's end, I would think.
bring it on. Next year under a new coach we will have hope once again.