So Sad For Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

So Sad For Armo

Forced to play small defender.
When the ball is above his shoulders he is all at sea.
Does not know how to mark the ball overhead especially with a pack coming at him.
Was caught out dropping a mark with the pack coming at him, late last week and again early today
It is great when midfielders can take strong overhead marks like Nat Fyfe but he got away without it most of his career as it was not essential.

Too slow, his brain is willing but the legs just won't move for him any more, too slow to be a midfielder now and can't escape as a defender or beat an opponent to the ball.

Can't kick accurately, if you don't hit your target coming out of defence it just comes back with interest.

All he has left is a football brain, that's enough at Sandringham but insufficient in the AFL.

Sad he did not hang up the boots at the end of last season.

But the money your earn from football is almost impossible to replace.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Re: So Sad For Armo

Have some respect for once will you. The game was won and lost in the midfield. Armo had earnt a recall into the seniors with several outstanding efforts in the magoos. It's called selection integrity and he adds experience with the loss of Steele. With Paton and others playing well he will no doubt need to make way in the next couple of weeks

If the coach doesn't know how to utilise his strengths, that is not the fualt of the player.

He can never be accuse of failing to put his head over the footy

Are you sure you're not Richo?

That's sorta how he would assess a players game...'this is how you messed up'...'this is what you did wrong'...'these are the areas where you have weaknesses'

If our club had any sense they'd have nurtured and developed better footballers with the help of guys like Armo, but sadly they've only just realised how valuable our senior players can be (for the development of our young draftees) when they play regular games at Sandy. Should've been doing it years ago.

Armo has been a wonderful warrior for our footy club and he does what is asked of him from the coaches. What's sad is that he hasn't had a chance to display his aggressive attack on the footy and his ferocious attack on his opponents at the peak of his powers in finals

minneapolis
Club Player

I agree. He didn't beat anybody today.

He was slow today and the quick and skillful legs of the Brisbane's kids around him made him look worse.

I knew I was watching his last game for us. It is sad. I like Armo but as I suggested 2 years ago a second round draft spot from Brisbane would have been my choice.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Poor selection and list management, should’ve been let go 12 months ago

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If Armo gets dropped I don’t see how Newnes or Kent possibly keep their spot.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 11:06am If Armo gets dropped I don’t see how Newnes or Kent possibly keep their spot.
Armo
I think the pace of the game has passed Armo by, great service to the club, huge heart and hopefully gets a farewell game playing in the middle. Good career David.

Newness
Not sure what is wrong here but he was good early this year but horrendously out of form. New coach, new club who knows what he needs but he is totally out of sorts.

Kent
Frustrating, has the tools like his left boot, a bit of pace and a big body but is not consistent or physical enough for his age, experience & body size. Perfect example was first quarter when he needed to gather the half volley and didn’t fully commit IMO. He looks great when we are on top but not physical enough. Not the future.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of room for sentiment if you like losing, otherwise, time to go, Armo.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Paton

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
older saint
SS Life Member

Plays one position for 10 years and then at 30 + with lack of pace moved to half back. Never had a great defensive side to his game to start with. Hiding to nothing which is sad for a servant like him. Hopefully can help the mids at Sandy?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Time has passed him by. Unfortunately hasnt been treated very well by the club.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Given his recent contract he is the most over payed/rated and worst skilled player on a Saints list in the last 20 years. It says it all about how out of touch Richo is when Armitage is still getting a game.

derby Street
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 3:37pm Time has passed him by. Unfortunately hasnt been treated very well by the club.
What has the club done?

Crossy66
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:24pm Given his recent contract he is the most over payed/rated and worst skilled player on a Saints list in the last 20 years. It says it all about how out of touch Richo is when Armitage is still getting a game.
You dont watch footy do you

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Should have played him much earlier on in his career instead of keeping him down.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
derby Street
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:32pm Should have played him much earlier on in his career instead of keeping him down.
Yep agree - back in the Lyin days. At the same time should probably have been let go by the club in later times

howlinwolf
Club Player

I don't think it's sad for Armo at all.
Armo is a warrior.
Always has been.
He's given everything he has but father time has caught up with him. He knows that.

I know just how he feels.

Playing Armo now is not a reflection on Armo but more so a reflection on the StKilda FC and where we are at.

I'm cooked after 30 years service and have an incompetent employer still begging me to come back to help out.
If I went back, is my diminished performance a reflection on me or my employer ???

Run your contract out Dave, you deserve it. We needed more like you.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
minneapolis
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 4:24pm Given his recent contract he is the most over payed/rated and worst skilled player on a Saints list in the last 20 years. It says it all about how out of touch Richo is when Armitage is still getting a game.
It is OK to get emotional but this statement is completely wrong.

Armo was a beast and a leader and was in the Top 3 players for our club in 2015.

Most people have admired him but time has caught up with one of our Saints Warriors. Welcome back at the club anytime.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 4:57am
It is OK to get emotional but this statement is completely wrong.

Armo was a beast and a leader and was in the Top 3 players for our club in 2015.

Most people have admired him but time has caught up with one of our Saints Warriors. Welcome back at the club anytime.
Sorry I disagree even in his one good year he was a terrible user of the football. I have never rated the guy and called for him to be traded every year when he had some currency. Given he was our highest paid player after Reiwoldt left Armitage has been a complete dud.

Just out of interest given he was our 3rd best player in 2015 - where did we finish that year?

It was another of Richos fails as Richo loved the guy but backed completely the wrong horse.