Richo becomes second longest serving St. Kilda coach next Sunday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Richo becomes second longest serving St. Kilda coach next Sunday

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 10:34am
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 8:26pm FUN FACT: if we fail to kick 100 points at least once this season, it will be the first season since 1960 we have failed to kick a century at least once.
And back in those days there were only 18 games in the Home and Away season so this year may be the first season in the history of the 22 home and away game seasons we fail to top the ton.
Well, despite kicking 7 straight yesterday in the first half we failed (once again) to even crack 14 goals and a possible century.
This record is looking safer by the week.
Maybe some of our forwards need to stop focusing on all of the dramatic goal celebrations and apply their focus on improving their conversion...
I suspect the focus on goal celebrations is becuase the oppportunity to do so comes so not very often under this utter rot of a gameplan (i.e. surge it forward but hook or by crook to get field position and then hope to score a goal from a stoppage or some other non-system based means)

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:43am
saintkid wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 12:56pm
Viking3 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 12:13pm What a sad and nasty lot of (so called) supporters.
Unfair call. Supporters have every right to post their informed opinions The Richo saga with his lack of player development and the rationale behind continuing to play certain individuals, has been a revolving wheel for several years now. The Weller saga last year was another fine example of his rudderless leadership.

So, don't attack supporters for expressing their opinion and frustration for observing the same mediocrity, woeful kicking at goal and general substandard on-field performances, week and after week for a few years now!
Not unfair at all saintkid.
Firstly, denigrating and personal attacks are not opinions.
In your opening paragraph you used the term "informed" opinions. Don't get informed opinions confused with personal opinions. I would also think that there wouldn't be many or any on here that would really know about team selections and why A is chosen over B.
Believe me I get frustrated too at poor skills and decision making, but if it's week after week how are we winning almost half our games this year?
I am more than happy to read supporters unbiased and objective opinions but it does get tedious when so many become personal and sanctimonious.
With regard to poor skills and decision making, you seem to be implying that it's not Cho's fault.

He didn't just turn up in 2018, he's been head coach nearly six full years. He was appointed when we were in FUL rebuild mode. He was going to be the driver in charge of our road to 2020. He has failed as a leader on many fronts.

It's up to the leader to guide the leadership playing group so that they in turn guide and mentor the youth. Don't go blaming the players for our inconsistency and losses

It's within the coaches control to drill certain team rules and assist players in their decision making. I think he chops and changes so much that it has become confusing for some of our players. Richo admitted as such last year. No good blaming young players for their skills and decision making when we have losses. Cho's selection policy speaks for itself

Most of the young draftees that come to us have the skills, it's up to the coaches to teach them the team rules angameplan which in turn should assist their desicion making process. It's up to the head coach specifically to instill confidence in them and guide them to a path where they believe that their tame mates have faith in them.

As you said, we have won a few games here and there and we did show that we can play some brillinat football (like we did in the MRV game in 2017) but perhaps the inspiration came from Roo and our other senior players rather than the coach. Those matches also showed that the players do make good decisions when they are motivated and do have the skills.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 10:43am
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 10:34am
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 8:26pm FUN FACT: if we fail to kick 100 points at least once this season, it will be the first season since 1960 we have failed to kick a century at least once.
And back in those days there were only 18 games in the Home and Away season so this year may be the first season in the history of the 22 home and away game seasons we fail to top the ton.
Well, despite kicking 7 straight yesterday in the first half we failed (once again) to even crack 14 goals and a possible century.
This record is looking safer by the week.
Maybe some of our forwards need to stop focusing on all of the dramatic goal celebrations and apply their focus on improving their conversion...
I suspect the focus on goal celebrations is becuase the oppportunity to do so comes so not very often under this utter rot of a gameplan (i.e. surge it forward but hook or by crook to get field position and then hope to score a goal from a stoppage or some other non-system based means)
Relief, you reckon?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Schillaci
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:01am That actually makes me sick....
Me too. I had no idea he had coached that long in comparison to some of our other coaches,
To think Thommo, Sheldon and Alves were forced out but Richo has been given chance after chance.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 5:11pm
True Believer wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 1:01am That actually makes me sick....
Me too. I had no idea he had coached that long in comparison to some of our other coaches,
To think Thommo, Sheldon and Alves were forced out but Richo has been given chance after chance.
And the kicker is both Alves and Thommo were sacked after seasons we played finals!

Maybe that’s what’s saving Richo? :?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
HighettMan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 12:36pm
Viking3 wrote: Mon 24 Jun 2019 11:43am
saintkid wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 12:56pm
Viking3 wrote: Sun 23 Jun 2019 12:13pm What a sad and nasty lot of (so called) supporters.
Unfair call. Supporters have every right to post their informed opinions The Richo saga with his lack of player development and the rationale behind continuing to play certain individuals, has been a revolving wheel for several years now. The Weller saga last year was another fine example of his rudderless leadership.

So, don't attack supporters for expressing their opinion and frustration for observing the same mediocrity, woeful kicking at goal and general substandard on-field performances, week and after week for a few years now!
Not unfair at all saintkid.
Firstly, denigrating and personal attacks are not opinions.
In your opening paragraph you used the term "informed" opinions. Don't get informed opinions confused with personal opinions. I would also think that there wouldn't be many or any on here that would really know about team selections and why A is chosen over B.
Believe me I get frustrated too at poor skills and decision making, but if it's week after week how are we winning almost half our games this year?
I am more than happy to read supporters unbiased and objective opinions but it does get tedious when so many become personal and sanctimonious.
With regard to poor skills and decision making, you seem to be implying that it's not Cho's fault.

He didn't just turn up in 2018, he's been head coach nearly six full years. He was appointed when we were in FUL rebuild mode. He was going to be the driver in charge of our road to 2020. He has failed as a leader on many fronts.

It's up to the leader to guide the leadership playing group so that they in turn guide and mentor the youth. Don't go blaming the players for our inconsistency and losses

It's within the coaches control to drill certain team rules and assist players in their decision making. I think he chops and changes so much that it has become confusing for some of our players. Richo admitted as such last year. No good blaming young players for their skills and decision making when we have losses. Cho's selection policy speaks for itself

Most of the young draftees that come to us have the skills, it's up to the coaches to teach them the team rules angameplan which in turn should assist their desicion making process. It's up to the head coach specifically to instill confidence in them and guide them to a path where they believe that their tame mates have faith in them.

As you said, we have won a few games here and there and we did show that we can play some brillinat football (like we did in the MRV game in 2017) but perhaps the inspiration came from Roo and our other senior players rather than the coach. Those matches also showed that the players do make good decisions when they are motivated and do have the skills.
Who's your pick for coach and why and how will improve on Alan?

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Oh ffs. Just STFU

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.