Just venting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Just venting

I have followed this team since 1965 and I haven't been more depressed about its future than I am now.
Simple fact, it is looking more and more likely I will never see another premiership unless there is drastic changes in the direction of the club. As someone described here, it seems like a boys club running the club. There's no direction, no determination, no hunger, no nothing, just hey look at us, we're running an AFL club and we don't care.
We need an Eddie McGuire or Brian Cook version of a St.Kilda supporter to come in and drag this club out of its love for mediocrity.
If we end up with Brad Scott as coach, it is going to be more years of non-achievement as he is not the answer. After the debacle with Tim Watson we went and got Malcolm Blight. Now, that didn't end well, but it began great and laid the foundation for our second most successful decade. Because of Blight we attracted Hammil, Gehrig and Brett Voss, plu sof course we got Reiwoldt and Kossie in the draft.
Unfortunately there are no big names recently retired from coaching we could attract and of the current crop the only ones that could attract very good players to us are Clarkson, Longmire, Beveridge and Hardwick. But none of them are going to be leaving their clubs soon.
If we have to take a risk with a rookie coach again then maybe we get one of own in Harvey, Hayes or even Roo. It's a big risk, but these guys would have the instant respect of many of the playing group. Yes there is a risk this could be a disaster, but in the 80's, Baldock did lay the foundation for the 90's and his appointment was like a ray of bright light to the supporters.
Then there is the recruiting, first of all, forget about free agency, we are nowhere near in a position for that to help us as we need 100+ game players into our side. restricted free agent yes, providing the price isn't too high.
Unfortunately, I can't see a lot of this happening, but we can only dream like if that ball bounced end over end for Milne instead of at a right angle.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Just venting

Brad Scott????... No f****** way.

I would really seriously think about not renewing the 9 saints memberships I now pay for.

I would think the Shaw experiment has shown what a loser (tosser) Scott was/is.

The Roos people say he didn't exhibit any "shineboner" spirit.

So what f****** affinity would the failed coach have for the St Kilda football team?

None whatsoever IMHFO.

Harvey for mine with Lenny and Xavier as his assistants.

Now, that would be a very good foundation for success.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As an immigrant who arrived in 1990, I have no "tangible" or "cultural" link to the St Kilda Footy Club...... I could have had my pick of AFL sides to barrack for, but no, I had to (for reasons I've already expanded on here in this forum) BY CHOICE go for the Saints. I've been a paid-up member since 2000, the final year of Watson's tenure, (and a wooden spooner to boot!) and during these past 19 years I've had my share of feeling ANGRY, :evil: HEARTBROKEN :cry: ELATED :D and frustrated... NEVER in these 19 years have I ever felt so flat and disinterested....... yes I'll sign up for more next season (I'm ever the optimist) but I'll do so in the knowledge that my chance to see the Saints lift a premiership has gone! Went in 2009 & 10. I honestly think that the AFL are building a case for our relocation. The only thing that can stop that proceeding is for the club to THRIVE...... its clear that "the powers that be" don't want that to happen, and these knobheads we have running the joint onfield are ensuring that we become even more mediocre than we currently are.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I feel like I have been bludgeoned into this malaise by the club. Plus Jiggster you may be onto something. AFL probably want a side in Tassie so they either relocate us or merge us with Gold Coast.
If the latter happens, I am done with football.

Saint 58
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 2:43pm ................................................................ yes I'll sign up for more next season (I'm ever the optimist) but I'll do so in the knowledge that my chance to see the Saints lift a premiership has gone! Went in 2009 & 10. I honestly think that the AFL are building a case for our relocation. The only thing that can stop that proceeding is for the club to THRIVE...... its clear that "the powers that be" don't want that to happen, and these knobheads we have running the joint onfield are ensuring that we become even more mediocre than we currently are.
I'm seriously worried that we are going to be "encouraged" to more to Tassie.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 2:37pm Brad Scott????... No f****** way.

I would really seriously think about not renewing the 9 saints memberships I now pay for.

So what f****** affinity would the failed coach have for the St Kilda football team?

None whatsoever IMHFO.

I love Harves as much as any Saints supporter but FFS, he ain’t no senior coach.

Did you see him on The Front Bar recently?

If not, check it out on YouTube, you’ll see what I mean - please, he is NOT what this club needs to lift it out of the Cho doldrums!

Look again it's the Flash!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 4:21pm

None whatsoever IMHFO.

I love Harves as much as any Saints supporter but FFS, he ain’t no senior coach.

If not, check it out on YouTube, you’ll see what I mean - please, he is NOT what this club needs to lift it out of the Cho doldrums!
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is how the saying goes, to that however I would add: "The road to coaching disaster is littered with the corpses of "favourite sons" who were seen as messiahs" Ratten for me!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

many share your thoughts Bruce

Special
Club Player

One big reason I’d like Scott as coach is to see the dummy spitting.

Bring it on!

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Lenny would make a better coach than Harves

Far better communicator, for more demonstrative and passionate
Could put the fear of God into the boys and would earn instant respect with his propensity for compassion

as someone else put here, imagine if it was Banger in Richo's seat after however long and we werent getting the desired result - we'd be f****** eating him alive
thats no way for a favourite Son to end his association with his club

One thing is for sure, they'd both wanna know what they're in for if they put their hands up for the job - I think they have a good idea

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Well, the Saints seem to be always looking for a bargain.

Ex-players with St Kilda in their blood bring passion and intensity without the price tag.

They also bring passion and intensity to the membership base.

Harvey, Lenny, Beveridge or Sam Mitchell (grew up a Saint) offer these qualities. BS does not and never will.

St Loxton
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 2:26pm We need an Eddie McGuire or Brian Cook version of a St.Kilda supporter to come in and drag this club out of its love for mediocrity.
Hopefully Bassat has an uplifting influence in his tenure.

Otherwise i want Nick Riewoldt to head out ship for the next decade or two. Still our spiritual leader by a mile.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Will post it here.......in this thread

Gold Coast should not get priority pick!! to give them 1 and 2

Vote no on afl website

May start up another thread

saint4life
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just select the best coach

Not who we think is the best coach (none of us have a clue about how good or bad they are)

Doesn’t matter whether they are former players or not, or whether they were entertaining on the front bar, whether they are demonstrative (a negative character trait in a coach)

Coach needs to be
Measured, calm, Consistent, clear communicator, teaching ability, management ability,
Good understanding of current football strategy and be able to formulate a game style that suits list, have clear philosophies and direction. Must be brutally honest with feedback, but constructive in criticism.

Does not have to the fear of god into people, intimidation is a poor style of leadership.

I never respected any coach who tried to use their positional power to lead
I respected coaches whom I learned from and supported my development

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast will get 1 & 2

Take it to the bank! The AFL will help this basket case because they are an embarrassment.

Only club in the AFL in a worst situation than StK

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and if you have ever known Lenny Hayes, he is the furtherest thing from intimidating.

Softly spoken, calm and intelligent. One of the most modest persons I have met.

Scary, brutal beast of a player, a true gentleman off the ground

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Just reported that Jarryd Roughead is in talks for an off field position in 2020.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 7:44pm Gold Coast will get 1 & 2

Take it to the bank! The AFL will help this basket case because they are an embarrassment.

Only club in the AFL in a worst situation than StK
We beat them by less than a goal last 3 times we have played them.....

their case compared to us is not justified to have two such picks before us.....

Stinks if they get it.........started season well like us...then got a few injuries like us....

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 7:49pm Just reported that Jarryd Roughead is in talks for an off field position in 2020.
does he get on well with brad scott :roll: :roll:

saint4life
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 7:49pm Just reported that Jarryd Roughead is in talks for an off field position in 2020.
I would dearly LOVE to see B. Ratten take the reins as senior coach with Roughy as one of his assistants. I'd even consider making Hodgey an offer as as an assistant...... with a succession plan in place..... Hodge, in my humble opinion will be a fine leader, and a good coach one day.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 4:21pm

None whatsoever IMHFO.

Yep the guy simply is not a front of house inspiring coach .....that’s the truth
Club legend of course but not a senior coach

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

missed it....

which outlet reported it?

saint4life
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Channel 7

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If they go with Scott we may as well just shut up shop right now.

After ten years coaching you reckon he might get some results on the board. A decade. Enough time to have a natural list changeover.

He's done sweet F A.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BarryGrogan
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 8:49am If they go with Scott we may as well just shut up shop right now.

After ten years coaching you reckon he might get some results on the board. A decade. Enough time to have a natural list changeover.

He's done sweet F A.
Two prelims and 4 or 5 finals appearances wasn't it?

I think they only really had 2 ordinary years under him.