Jack Steele

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steele

Just saw that he had 18 tackles, surely this has got to be close to some kind of record?!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Re: Jack Steele

Good effort but I was really hoping he would come on this year as a damaging ball winning inside mid.

He's just not getting enough of the pill.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Record amount of tackles without a free kick is what they are saying.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I would rather celebrate 18 inside 50 entries that hit our guys on the lead at 75% DE

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The_President
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 9:20pm Just saw that he had 18 tackles, surely this has got to be close to some kind of record?!
Record is 19
Bolton, Ziebell and a few others.

Steele also had a 17 tackle game with us.

The_President
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 9:20pm Just saw that he had 18 tackles, surely this has got to be close to some kind of record?!
Record is 19
Bolton, Ziebell and a few others.

Steele also had a 17 tackle game with us.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Should be captain IMO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good effort, and not taking anything away from him but Not that hard to stand behind Cunnington at stoppages and when Goldstein taps the ball to him (as he always does) lay a stoppage tackle.

There are stoppage tackles, which aren’t as difficult because it’s a stop play and there’s 8 or more players around the ball. Players are trained to tackle from behind at stoppages to get repeat ball ups to allow time for set up of structure in front and behind the ball.

Then there’s general play tackles, tackling someone who’s running with the ball. They are worth there weight in gold

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It was close to it, but a pity he didn't tackle your f****** cheating mate Foot.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 10:00pm Should be captain IMO
This!

As far as I'm concerned he has all the qualities to lead the club and set the right example to the others. Appears to genuinely hurt following losses. He's disciplined and tenacious. He also voices his opinions.

He could get more of the ball but is obviously the only one with the discipline and skill to run with their best.

Out of our current crop of inside mids, he's the more reliable set shot for goal by far.

saintbob
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 10:00pm Should be captain IMO
Spot on, Skeptic

IMHO, we have not only the worst coach in the AFL but the worst captain as well and don’t get me started on the stand in skipper.

stkfc1
Club Player

Love Steele and wholeheartedly agree he should be Capt. Just wish he could start hurting teams on the scoreboard more. We are desperate for a mid that can kick goals and he's capable. Maybe a new coach will find a better balance for him as he (and he does it very well) is a purely defensive midfielder.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If he was captain, we’d be complaining that he doesn’t win the ball enough or hurt the opposition much with his offensive output and disposal.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 12:09pm If he was captain, we’d be complaining that he doesn’t win the ball enough or hurt the opposition much with his offensive output and disposal.
Let's hope we get that opportunity to complain. Although I'm quite confident I'll be happy with his output if that is quelling the best opposition mid whilst getting the pill himself.

Out of Hannerbury, Ross, Dunstan and Steele. Steele is the one that can be given a job and complete it.

Ross and Dunstan should be the most worried about a fit Hannerbury (if such a thing exists anymore).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 3:27pm
B.M wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 12:09pm If he was captain, we’d be complaining that he doesn’t win the ball enough or hurt the opposition much with his offensive output and disposal.
Let's hope we get that opportunity to complain. Although I'm quite confident I'll be happy with his output if that is quelling the best opposition mid whilst getting the pill himself.

Out of Hannerbury, Ross, Dunstan and Steele. Steele is the one that can be given a job and complete it.

Ross and Dunstan should be the most worried about a fit Hannerbury (if such a thing exists anymore).
Hard to disagree. Hanneberry still has more skill in his little fingernail (in ball use and decision-making terms) than both of Ross and Dunstan posses in their entire bodies. My view is that Dunstan is the hard inside mid who has to put his head over it and extract and Hanneberry is there to compliment that and Steele has to do a job on the best oppo mid. Ideally - it would be great to inject some outside run to that mix (either J Steven if he stays or, Brad Hill). That then becomes a reasonable midfield whilst Hanneberry stands up.

No surprise that Ross is the odd man out and quite frankly - I'd not be unhappy if I never saw him in a Saints jumper ever again. A greater accumulator of meaningless possessions that do zero to hurt the oppo I have never seen.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yes Saintmatt, a midfield as you described sounds like the perfect starting midfield for where we sit now.

Ross is a bit of an enigma. Is how he's going this year symptomatic of the team as a whole or has he reached that ceiling from a couple of years back, as with Newnes, and will not get better? If it's the latter, then both should be moved on, best for club and player.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Meaningless possessions, interesting concept?

You can be inefficient, but every possession has some meaning.

Seb Ross has finished top 2 in the last three best and fairests, what has Dunstan done? This year he was at Sandy for a month?,
I realise Seb is a whipping boy, but seriously, there are worse players in the side, that don’t even get the ball.

Serious question now
Put them both up for trade (which I would), who would get the better draft pick in return?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 5:08pm Meaningless possessions, interesting concept?

You can be inefficient, but every possession has some meaning.

Maybe think about what the writer meant. I think his meaning is clear enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I have thought about it, it made no sense.

If you have possession of the ball in a game, the opposition do not have the ball, hence the term meaningless possession is a strange description.

Easy possession (Mark from a backward kick) or inefficient possession, Clanger. Yes.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Ross would garner the higher pick. I believe Ross has maxed out. Dunstan may offer better value whilst we try to establish a finals midfield.

Yes, meaningless comes with interpretations, for Seb that's been highlighted by quantity over quality. In real terms they are far from meaningless as they hurt on the turnover, not only directly but with players once running to position, now caught out.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 5:25pm I have thought about it, it made no sense.

I guess you have trouble understand poetry too?

Not everything in life is literal.

Hint: In this case can Ross's possessions be considered to have been significant, or important, to St Kilda winning ?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t care to much for poetry, but I do get what an inference is... in this case the inference that his possessions don’t count, which I think is garbage.

What’s the role of a midfielder? To find the footy, a mid that doesn’t get the ball is pretty useless, because it’s safe to assume his opponent getting possessions

And I reckon we’d probably get a first rounder for Seb, why is that?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I would like to see him used more offensively. He can win his own footy, so instead of instructing him to sit off the ball & tackle his opponent when they get it, instruct him to get the pill himself. Ross should be playing a more negating role to free up Steele.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 7:09pm I don’t care to much for poetry, but I do get what an inference is... in this case the inference that his possessions don’t count, which I think is garbage.

What’s the role of a midfielder? To find the footy, a mid that doesn’t get the ball is pretty useless, because it’s safe to assume his opponent getting possessions

And I reckon we’d probably get a first rounder for Seb, why is that?
With respect BM - you’ve been smashing the glass bbqs a bit too hard if you think Ross would garner us a 1st round pick. I’d do that in a heartbeat if you could get blackmail some club into that for us. He is a complete nothing of a mid - he’s neither fast, a good decision maker, is a poor kick, not an extractor, horribly one sided.

He would not get a position in any midfield outside of GCS or Carlton. That should tell you everything.

Dunstan has most the same “attributes” as the above however, does crack in hard and get the footy. That’s a plus. And he’s younger.

Go you red, black & white warriors
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 7:13pm I would like to see him used more offensively. He can win his own footy, so instead of instructing him to sit off the ball & tackle his opponent when they get it, instruct him to get the pill himself. Ross should be playing a more negating role to free up Steele.
Bizarre isn't it.

Ross was becoming an elite defensive midfielder, so Cho turns him into a D-Grade offensive one.