A wasted opportunity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

A wasted opportunity

One got the sense that the players were pretty happy with themselves at halftime and the 2nd half was all about damage control. Barely a tackle was stuck in the 2nd half which tells me lack of intent or lack off fitness. Cats were breaking tackles at will. Make no mistake the Cats were vulnerable tonight.

I thought that Acres typified our 2nd half. He's at the crossroads for mine. Just jogging around with head up his arse. Coffield doesn't look up to it. Too slow. Newnes is definitely not up to it. That's a fact and all I can think is that he has photos of someone in a compromising position. He looks like a local footy player playing AFL. And that's very disappointing considering he's played 150 games.

On the positive side, Marshall is performing well, Hunter Clarke took another step tonight and Bruce looks confident.

I know most will take a 28 point loss at GMBHA stadium but I thought we didn't give a yelp in the 2nd half. We came to play in the 1st half. The game just petered out after halftime

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: A wasted opportunity

Players are waiting for the coach to get the arse so they can win for the caretaker the following week.

In red white and black from 73
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sound like you've been to the six o'clock closer, mr six o'clock.

Saint supporter since '62
howlinwolf
Club Player

We are 4th from the bottom and we gave the top side a scare on their own dung hill.
Ok we faded a bit. That's why we're fourth from the bottom.
I can handle losses like this. They tried their guts out against a superior list.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

howlinwolf wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:19am We are 4th from the bottom and we gave the top side a scare on their own dung hill.
I can handle losses like this. They tried their guts out against a superior list.
That’s been our excuse for the last six season.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:19am We are 4th from the bottom and we gave the top side a scare on their own dung hill.
Yeah? i dunno, it rankles me that they every now and then show the talent they have to scare a team, but lack the fortitude and belief to get it done.
Tonight was all about saving face and not getting a caning and they set out to do this and no more - and they succeeded
they showed they could take it up to Geelong and had they had more belief and a winning mindset they would have won

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah? i dunno, it rankles me that they every now and then show the talent they have to scare a team, but lack the fortitude and belief to get it done.
Tonight was all about saving face and not getting a caning and they set out to do this and no more - and they succeeded
they showed they could take it up to Geelong and had they had more belief and a winning mindset they would have won

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:10pm One got the sense that the players were pretty happy with themselves at halftime and the 2nd half was all about damage control. Barely a tackle was stuck in the 2nd half which tells me lack of intent or lack off fitness. Cats were breaking tackles at will. Make no mistake the Cats were vulnerable tonight.

I thought that Acres typified our 2nd half. He's at the crossroads for mine. Just jogging around with head up his arse. Coffield doesn't look up to it. Too slow. Newnes is definitely not up to it. That's a fact and all I can think is that he has photos of someone in a compromising position. He looks like a local footy player playing AFL. And that's very disappointing considering he's played 150 games.

On the positive side, Marshall is performing well, Hunter Clarke took another step tonight and Bruce looks confident.

I know most will take a 28 point loss at GMBHA stadium but I thought we didn't give a yelp in the 2nd half. We came to play in the 1st half. The game just petered out after halftime
Careful talking about Coffield!!
Touchy subject for some around here.
P.S. I 100% agree with you about him at this stage of his career.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Line the teams up man for man, take into account it was on the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL and really, did supporters expect to win?

Upsets can happen, you must believe, especially as a player. But reality is, they were just too good.

Some players, like Dunstan tried their arses off!

howlinwolf
Club Player

I agree BM.
They just have a lot more class but the result didn't reflect that due to our commitment.
Dunstan had a real crack. There were lots of cheap shots going in the packs. Dunny wore a lot of it.
We won the bloody clearances against Geelong at KP !
They are two games clear on top of the ladder.
I don't know what some expect from the available list we have ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I thought the opposite. I thought it was an opportunity to shows guts, determination and pride. I believe they did. They played for each other. Geelong at Geelong is a tough gig, obviously - see how better teams than ours go. But they/Geelong also got crucial umpiring decisions - the ones given and the ones not given. Ablett has a charmed life with the umps - maybe they all go to the same church. But our men have nothing to be ashamed of - they played damned well. Geelong have just too many class players - and unfortunately leaders. But our time is are coming. With a top coach and Max King we can win down there next year. You know it could have been a blood bath, but we reduced the commentators to actually having to pay some respect.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they all go to the same YMCA

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Third quarter cooked us.

So many entries for what? 4 behinds?

While they kicked like 3 goals, 2 behinds off nine entries.

FFS our goal kicking, our forward entries in general have been putrid for at least five years.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BarryGrogan
Club Player

HardSaint wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:24am
I get that same feeling every single week.

Cho's whole philosophy seems to revolve around restricting the opposition.

Every aspect of our game is defensive.

The way we set up. Our team selection. The we enter F50. The way we move the ball out of defence. The way our forwards attack contests. Even our clearances are careful and more about protecting possession than scaring the opposition and actually scoring.

All of it!

Bolton was the same.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 10:45am
HardSaint wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:24am
I get that same feeling every single week.

Cho's whole philosophy seems to revolve around restricting the opposition.

Every aspect of our game is defensive.

The way we set up. Our team selection. The we enter F50. The way we move the ball out of defence. The way our forwards attack contests. Even our clearances are careful and more about protecting possession than scaring the opposition and actually scoring.

All of it!

Bolton was the same.
So true.

I actually think the next coach is going to have to have a real struggle in un-coaching our players. They are so paralysed by defence first and it’s been that way for years now.

We’ve lost a generation of players to this rubbish.

Go you red, black & white warriors
oldie60
Club Player

It can't always be the coaching style. How many games this year we've dominated inside 50s and failed to score or been inaccurate. We can't capitalise at crucial moments when scoreboard pressure is important.