Whispers in the sky

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whispers in the sky

Now the crowd running on to the ground for Gehrig 100th against Port is......wait for it........the AFLs fault and some sort of Demetriou conspiracy to get “GT”

Stop playing the victim you muppet

Let me guess.....the AFL forced you to play injured players in 2005 prelim we lost to Swans?? Or ....maybe Demetriou asked Barry Hall to punch Maguire in the guts just so he could be let off???

Just a sham this guy real mercenary

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 1:15am
Teflon wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 12:30am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:14pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 9:56am
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:53am Interesting he drags McGuire's name into it. Perhaps we can hear from Parker, McGuire, Buttress, Blight. Forget Demetriou, too many skeletons in that man's closet, makes Thommo look like an amateur.

Question has to be asked, why bring this up now? What or whose purpose does this serve?
Exactly the question
Part 2 today and it’s all “I was footy Director but was last to know they (nasty Rod Butters and faceless men..) were going to sack Blighty (I love Blighty btw) and appoint me!!
Oh shock horror.....I was gobsmacked!!!

Honestly ANYONE who believes this career apologist and flog ought to have their head read. Never read a bigger load of revisionist BS in my life ....but again you ask: why now???
Old rent a headline Thomas.....always happy t drag and sir Saints dirty linen in public to make himself look good.
Guys a disgrace to the club - just **** off.
Have you listened to the podcast Teflon? Or are you just grabbing a headline here and there and adding your own dislike of Grant Thomas.

I highly recommend every died-in-the-wool Saint listens to this podcast. For one, you will learn more about the workings of the StKFC than you spent reading the machinations of posters on Saintsational.

As Molly would say, "do yourself a favour".
Why would I listen to a half assed attempt to revwrite history in his own image????
I KNOW all I need to know about good ole GT when I asked him point blank if he’d step aside as interim coach (what he was meant to be) only to be told by this buffoon that there was no one better qualified.....let’s be clear the guys AFL coaching credentials extended to Warrnambool FFS .

I get some on here fall over themselves when GT spin makes them feel like he’s “fighting for the Saints”.... all I see is a failed AFL has been who couldn’t get a job after he left us (other clubs know unlike many brainwashed on here). I see a bloke , doing it again this week in papers/podcasts, who for the sake of a headline to get some sort of relevance back in footy circles, who is prepared to drag our club and it’s pathetic history back through the ringer again to spin a story that has “I was just the victim in all this” written all over it.

Sorry I don’t buy the 80s corporate BS this snake oil salesman peddles.
I sense that he is not your favourite, Teffers
But we know he’s yours Carl so all is well with the world...I see schmucks like this everyday ....not unique

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 4:31am
bigcarl wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:24pm
desertsaint wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:58pm For all his knockers just think what we were and what we achieved under gt.
From woodenspooners to legitimate and exciting contenders. Sure we had some top picks but so have the deed, blues, and suns. Most of our group were lower rungs and trades. And before they’d got near their peak he took them to 2 prelims.
Lyon had the likes of roo, Goddard, Hayes, Joey, chips, Baker, Milney et al over their prime football ages. It was GT’s team. But where gt played youth Ross left the likes of Steven and Armo stewing in the seconds.
I’d give anything to have another gt right now. Surely we all would.
This
Well not entirely, some of our best were at the club prior to GT. Be interesting looking back had Ross got the job first? Armo took a long time to come good, and Jack Steven could have been a master stroke in 09. He was given license to run around and create havoc, and in such a well drilled team, no one could have stopped him.

We simply peaked early that year, and the pressure of our 'window closing' (was the theme at the time) after several failed attempts under GT got the better of us

Reckon somewhere in our clubs past, someone kicked a black cat under a ladder
Jack Steven had OP if I remember right.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the herald sun.com

"Whispers In The Sky, explained

Whispers In The Sky explains a series of events that unfolded late in the AFL's 2005 season.

St Kilda coach Grant Thomas criticises the umpires after 50 free kicks were paid during St Kilda's defeat of North Melbourne in Round 20.

He says umpires need to put "their ego in the locker".

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou threatens AFL coaches with greater penalties for criticising umpires, and the AFL issues Thomas with a please explain.

Thomas apologises.

In the next St Kilda game, in Perth against Fremantle, the Saints lose to an after-the-siren goal. Five free kicks to Fremantle result in goals.

On the flight back to Melbourne it's claimed an umpire is overheard saying: "Now we know what a victory feels like."

Channel 9 reporter Tony Jones names Matthew Head as the umpire.

The AFL launches an independent investigation into the affair. It concludes there is no evidence to support any claims of impropriety.

For a full timeline and more detailed explainer of the events >> click here <<.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 12:31pm Rooey rips into AFL

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ede9054779
Could someone post the content of this article..

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
barneyboyz
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 12:34pm
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 4:31am
bigcarl wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 10:24pm
desertsaint wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 8:58pm For all his knockers just think what we were and what we achieved under gt.
From woodenspooners to legitimate and exciting contenders. Sure we had some top picks but so have the deed, blues, and suns. Most of our group were lower rungs and trades. And before they’d got near their peak he took them to 2 prelims.
Lyon had the likes of roo, Goddard, Hayes, Joey, chips, Baker, Milney et al over their prime football ages. It was GT’s team. But where gt played youth Ross left the likes of Steven and Armo stewing in the seconds.
I’d give anything to have another gt right now. Surely we all would.
This
Well not entirely, some of our best were at the club prior to GT. Be interesting looking back had Ross got the job first? Armo took a long time to come good, and Jack Steven could have been a master stroke in 09. He was given license to run around and create havoc, and in such a well drilled team, no one could have stopped him.

We simply peaked early that year, and the pressure of our 'window closing' (was the theme at the time) after several failed attempts under GT got the better of us

Reckon somewhere in our clubs past, someone kicked a black cat under a ladder
Jack Steven had OP if I remember right.
I can't remember but he didn't get a significant run at it

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Pleasing
Club Player

I loved the GT era - Us against Them - plenty of exciting footy - Willing to challenge the orthodox old school way of doing things - I'd love to see all that back at St Kilda but on the flip side the bloke can't help pissing people off. He has been sacked from almost every job he's had usually because he offended someone or went too far. I'm sure he would call it "challenging" them and blame their fragile ego's for the resultant fall out but ultimately he undid himself. I wish he was still on the radio but I doubt any of them are willing to work with him, I wish he was still involved in the club but I doubt there is anyone willing to invite him down. Shame because he was on the right track if we are going to succeed we need to be better than the big clubs just copying them isn't going to get us in front

Let me in
lefty
Club Player

Those were good times under Grant, he always bleed for the club, has heart. The difference with Lyon was he just worked for the club, left in a heart beat along with not developing any players....

Always respect Grant for standing up for the club and nearly achieving ultimate success. Wasn't perfect all the times, but never questioned his loyalty and commitment to the club and his players.

Greg T
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2019 3:55am Listen to | Grant Thomas - Saint or Sinner? from SACKED in Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/s ... 9dc335577f

Really worth a listen

Talks about the 2004-2005 preliminary final losses. Says he could have responded better at three quarter time in 2005 after Hall’s hit on Maguire.

Says Sirengate cost us the double chance that year. The club had QCs lined up saying we had a case, but then didn’t want to pursue it.

Tips a bucket on Demetriou. Suggests that, at best, the then AFL CEO had a complete lack of respect for our club.

Is coy about Buttress, but says a meeting at the end of 2003 after he and the players returned from London was the tipping point in their relationship.

Talks about his sacking and how it unfolded.

Says he backed Blight to the hilt in his role as football director and was literally the last to know of plans to remove him.

Nominates the best mark he’s seen, Riewoldt against Sydney in 2004. Also lauds the courage of Lenny, Kosi, Jason Blake, Baker and others.

Talks about St Kilda’s culture over 150 years and what we need to do to achieve success.

Laments where the club is at.

Anyhow, great interview, runs about 45 minutes
Thanks for the link,love listening to him,can you post part 2 when available ?

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 7:06pm Those were good times under Grant, he always bleed for the club, has heart. The difference with Lyon was he just worked for the club, left in a heart beat along with not developing any players....

Always respect Grant for standing up for the club and nearly achieving ultimate success. Wasn't perfect all the times, but never questioned his loyalty and commitment to the club and his players.
Yeah...problem is he wasn’t half the coach Lyon was like him or not OR as Nick Dal Santo said today about our new vacant coaching position......

Dal Santo says the club must go down the path of getting a coach with AFL experience to see a form turn-around.

“I’ve spoken about this before, (they need) someone like a Ross Lyon,” he told SEN's Whateley.”

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bassoon wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:56pm Agree Teflon. Absolutely not knocking Grant however, Think back to 2003 (first half of the season - winning a few, losing a few - then Thomas puts Fraser to FF - - the game against North - we suddenly explode after that - I went to the Richmond game in R19 (we lost to them earlier in the year) and we won by 80. Dal best on ground. As much of the weird ideas he had (and some so wrong about injury management). he did OK. He might have cost us a Premiership, but a coach like Richo would have coached the supreme talent we had to mediocrity. Hopefully two coaches to our next Premiership. Any more than that, and a couple of more rebuilds, I won't live to see it.
Agree to some extent. I really think Grant (early) with a young, impressionable list of A graders coming through was right to lead the team. Then I think his coaching philosophy ran out of steam, it was attack (great) but when we started losing in a shoot out it became “what now” . He then reverted to some corporate gobildy gook , management 101 rubbish and at that stage should’ve stepped aside. He refused. He hid behind “there is no one better out there” (rubbish, Lyon was an assistant at the time). I genuinely believe had Lyon been brought in while we had in prime Hamill, Gehrig, young Riewoldt, Harvey, Hayes, Powell (great mongrel) etc etc running round we’d have a flag or 2. I hold GT responsible for that because that’s a decision (to step aside) for the good of the club he supposedly loves but he wouldn’t.

One last “tell” for Grants personality.........have a look at how many jobs he simply gets sacked from?? Now, Grant will tell you it’s all THEIR fault, he was conspired against blah blah but anyone who knows footy or business knows that’s crap. How often you ever seen a headline where he says “I stuffed up”

People like Grant, in their own mind, are infallible. Self centred, narcissistic corporate monsters and long term toxic. 10 years after he’s gone......he’ll still provide a kick at the club......”if” it gets Grant back in the news headlines...

“Yeah….nah””
Furphy
Club Player

The VFL/AFL and the media have waged a vendetta against St.Kilda ever since the John Greening incident in 1972, it became fever pitched after that 1978 game against Essendon when they called us 'animals'. Look at what other clubs get away with. Like how the 'benefit of the doubt' always went to Hawthorn, Carlton and Geelong when it came to umpiring decisions. Or how a blind eye would be turned to dirty tactics coming from the 'blessed' clubs and St. Kilda players rubbed out for weeks for doing less

barneyboyz
Club Player

Pleasing wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 6:52pm I loved the GT era - Us against Them - plenty of exciting footy - Willing to challenge the orthodox old school way of doing things - I'd love to see all that back at St Kilda but on the flip side the bloke can't help pissing people off. He has been sacked from almost every job he's had usually because he offended someone or went too far. I'm sure he would call it "challenging" them and blame their fragile ego's for the resultant fall out but ultimately he undid himself. I wish he was still on the radio but I doubt any of them are willing to work with him, I wish he was still involved in the club but I doubt there is anyone willing to invite him down. Shame because he was on the right track if we are going to succeed we need to be better than the big clubs just copying them isn't going to get us in front
Yep, just should have been kept away from the admin side of things

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: