Sandringham v Footscray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Sandringham v Footscray

Quarter time score- Sandy 2.1 13pts to Footscray 1.6 12

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandringham v Footscray

They will do well to even compete with the side they are fielding.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Interested to see how stuv goes.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Stuv going well, a class above. Very lively but a bit rusty and got caught a few times. The standard of his general play is being affected by the quality of players around him, particularly the non Saints players. Very impressed with Mayo, a good size, athletic and looking more comfortable at this level now. Still only 19.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

3/4 time
35 to 69

A more open quarter of footy, but we couldn't contain the dogs goal scoring. Jack Steven collected 10 disposals in the quarter🔥 Big quarter needed!

Goals: Haidon 2, Mayo, Rowe & Phillips
Disposals: White 24, Steven 21, Phillips 18, Rice 18 & Seccull 16.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Stuv very out of touch, which is to be expected.
Mayo looks like he will be an excellent player.
Not much else worth mentioning.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
StPeter
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:20pm Stuv very out of touch, which is to be expected.
Mayo looks like he will be an excellent player.
Not much else worth mentioning.

How did White go?

I see 24 possessions to 3/4 time.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I only saw the first half. He was pretty quiet to half time.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

FT
58-95

Goals: Haidon 2, Mayo, Rowe, Fox, Hille, Marsh & Phillips.
Disposals: White 31, Rice 27, Fox 23, Seccull 23, Phillips 21 & Steven 21

Looks like Jackie boy might have been off in the last qtr with no more possies. Most probably was only going to play 3 qtrs?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Rubyjo
Club Player

White had a busy day.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:58pm White had a busy day.
He seems to get a bit of it. Hard to imagine his disposal being worse than some who get a lot less of it.

Saintly66
Club Player

So...dmac back next week then?

stkfc1
Club Player

White in for Newnes.
Long in for Parker.
Need to get a game or two into Rice to see where he's at.

ace
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 3:10pm Stuv going well, a class above. Very lively but a bit rusty and got caught a few times. The standard of his general play is being affected by the quality of players around him, particularly the non Saints players. Very impressed with Mayo, a good size, athletic and looking more comfortable at this level now. Still only 19.
It is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saynta
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 8:42pm White in for Newnes.
Long in for Parker.
Need to get a game or two into Rice to see where he's at.
Newnes won't get dropped. Got a special mention from the coach for blanketing JJ.

But when that attempted mark hit him om the head...............

Parker yes for long....

White needs to get a game but don't know at who's expense.

Think Rice has had his papers stamped though.. Maybe White too. Trade bait for 4th and 5th round picks I would think.

Scoop
Club Player

White in for Savage. We know what we've got with Savage. We need to use the remaining games to see what certain players can produce at the top level....and I think White just needs some game continuity to show that he is very much part of our future.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:44pm White in for Savage. We know what we've got with Savage. We need to use the remaining games to see what certain players can produce at the top level....and I think White just needs some game continuity to show that he is very much part of our future.
White is definitely best 22 in my opinion and with a change of coach I'd like to see this recognised.

Damning evidence against Richardson was further emphasised by the fact he didn't have Marshall in the best 22 for round one when many including myself were like WTF.
How White did not get game time under Richardson was nothing short of disgraceful.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:44pm White in for Savage. We know what we've got with Savage. We need to use the remaining games to see what certain players can produce at the top level....and I think White just needs some game continuity to show that he is very much part of our future.
Can't agree, Savage will be top 10 in B&F this year and has had his most consistent season.
You cannot drop a guy just to have a look at someone else when this is their lively hood, would send a poor message.

White for Newness?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scoop
Club Player

barks4eva wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:55pm
White is definitely best 22 in my opinion and with a change of coach I'd like to see this recognised.

Damning evidence against Richardson was further emphasised by the fact he didn't have Marshall in the best 22 for round one when many including myself were like WTF.
How White did not get game time under Richardson was nothing short of disgraceful.
Agreed barks. IMO Richardson's biggest failing was his so-called 'selection integrity'. How Marshall wasn't in the Round 1 side beggars belief!! Plus the fact it took so long for Hind and, to a degree, Langlands to get a look in....and his favourites to continue getting a game, despite continued ordinary performances!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rice BOG

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-07- ... ainst-dogs

"Jack Steven may not have been in his customary red, white and black, but his return was a welcome sight for all football fans on Sunday afternoon.

The 29-year-old was prominent against Footscray with 21 disposals, three marks and three tackles across three quarters before sitting out the final term in a pre-arranged move.

Steven lined up for 15 of the 16 centre bounces by three-quarter time, with his blistering pace and trademark bursts through congestion on show.

But even with the four-time Trevor Barker Award-winner’s inclusion, the Zebras weren’t able to clinch victory, going down 8.10 (58) to 13.14 (95) against a polished Bulldogs outfit.

Footscray’s scoring from stoppage (9.7) ultimately put the game out of reach despite Sandringham’s promising start, as too did their ascendancy in contested possessions (+25), ground-ball gets and efficiency inside 50m (64%).

100309-Member-940x75.jpg

The Zebras took the game on late and upped their intensity despite having three on the bench in the last, but by then the damage had already been done.

Bailey Rice was nevertheless a massive influence throughout, amassing a career-high 27 disposals – 10 of which were gathered in the first term – along with eight marks and four tackles to be best on ground for Sandringham.

Rice did it all for the Zebras, spending time up forward, down back and through the midfield in a desperate attempt to will his side to victory.

As always, the gritty defender refused to throw in the towel, warranting praise from coach Aaron Hamill post-match.

“I reckon everyone in here would put their hand up and say, 'you’re doing a bloody good job under difficult circumstances',” Hamill said to Rice in front of the playing group post-match.

“Don’t be defined by wins and losses; be defined by whether or not you can be trusted to play your role.”

Rice was joined by close mate Brandon White (31 disposals, 10 marks) among the best afield, whose precise ball use and clean execution across half-back only bolstered his chances of a senior recall.
Subscribe to receive the latest Sandringham Zebras news

Sam Rowe (18 hit-outs, one goal) and David Armitage (14 disposals, six marks, three tackles) offered valuable experience and composure at the coalface, but both ultimately fell to respective ankle and concussion issues in the second half.

Rowe was tried up forward and booted a handy goal in the shadows of the third term, before Jonathon Marsh was thrown in front of the ball late in the game.

Ed Phillips’ comeback from a hamstring injury was without incident, resulting in a handy 21-disposal return, while Jack Mayo (13 disposals, one goal) flanked the No. 30 along the opposite wing for most of the afternoon.

For the secon week running, defenders Marsh and Oscar Clavarino were aerially impressive with eight marks each.

Joining the duo in defence was newcomer Daniel McKenzie, whose gruntish approach bore six tackles, while Robbie Young was tossed into the midfield sporadically – before becoming a mainstay following the loss of Armitage – to chalk up five tackles of his own.

Sandringham will return to Wilson Storage Trevor Barker Beach Oval to face Casey for the 2019 Pride Cup.

SANDRINGHAM 2.1 3.5 5.5 8.10 (58)
FOOTSCRAY 1.6 4.9 9.15 13.17 (95)

GOALS
Sandringham: Haidon 2, Fox, Mayo, Phillips, Hille, Marsh, Rowe
Footscray: Gleeson 3, Edwards 2, Gowers 2, Scott 2, William 2, Boyd, McComb

BEST
Sandringham: Rice, White, Steven, Armitage, Rowe, Seccull, Phillips
Footscray: West, Gleeson, Sweet, Morris, Scott, Roberts, McComb