Why I am feeling the doom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

axcellence
Club Player

Why I am feeling the doom

Believe me guys I was very optimistic after the weekend’s win. Just a few little things have turned me into weather vane Abbott 😅

1. Joyce resigned - really? He has shown very little.
2. McKenzie resigned for 3 years - LOL 🤣
3. Team selection- where Newnes keeps getting picked, while Mr “close” Hanneberry can’t even make it to VFL. And Parker gets dropped.
4. Lethlean picked in the coaching recruitment sub-committee - when there is an obvious conflict of interest (whether perceived or real). Which person will want to interview when they think the fix is in.

Sorry guys, the Saints might win against the Dees, pick Ratten and Roma might win the Brownlow next year (or be in top 10). But, it’s still a three legged horse if it keeps making silly decisions. Sure, I support the Saints, but I really do grimace at these decisions. Saints are just going to run themselves against the wall doing these things. There’s only so much one can get away with.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why I am feeling the doom

Yes some of the resignings and team selections leaves me scratching my head.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

McKenzie re-signed for 3 years!!!

Seriously!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Darragh Joyce signed on for another 2 years.
That while coaching is in caretaker mode.
Surely the new coach should be entitled to some input into any list changes

Joyce's 3 year stint on the rookie list is up.
He must be moved to the senior list or go into the national draft.

I just wonder who the club intends to sack just to bring the excess number of senior players back to 40 and then provide for draft picks and imports.
Wilkie has earned a promotion to the senior list bringing the number to 44.

Senior players out of contract are
* Armitage
Brown
Carlisle
Dunstan
* Longer
Newnes
* Rice
Savage
* White
* Marsh
* Rowe

Despite being contracted we may have seen the last of
* McCartin
* Roberton

After that contracts have to be broken.

Langlands
* Pierce
are both out of contract but can be allowed another year on the rookie list.

* Players are not in this weeks 22
That's 8 senior players and one rookie.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

axcellence wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:43pm
3. Team selection- where Newnes keeps getting picked, while Mr “close” Hanneberry can’t even make it to VFL. And Parker gets dropped.
Newnes did a job on Johanniessen last week and did it superbly. Was never going to be dropped this week.

Parker was deservedly dropped 2 weeks ago - and didn't play VFL - then only got a reprieve with Ben Long's family issue. He needs to go back and play a few weeks at Sandy and get his hands on the ball a bit more.

Hannebery.....well....its looking a lot like a bust at this stage.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I just don’t get it. Neither Joyce nor McKenzie are heavily cemented in the top22 as must have players.

Have no issue with them staying on the list but 2 and 3 years for fringe players is absurd IMO

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:43pm Believe me guys I was very optimistic after the weekend’s win. Just a few little things have turned me into weather vane Abbott 😅

1. Joyce resigned - really? He has shown very little.
2. McKenzie resigned for 3 years - LOL 🤣
4. Lethlean picked in the coaching recruitment sub-committee - when there is an obvious conflict of interest (whether perceived or real). Which person will want to interview when they think the fix is in.

Sorry guys, the Saints might win against the Dees, pick Ratten and Roma might win the Brownlow next year (or be in top 10). But, it’s still a three legged horse if it keeps making silly decisions. Sure, I support the Saints, but I really do grimace at these decisions. Saints are just going to run themselves against the wall doing these things. There’s only so much one can get away with.
Totally agree I was chipper last week when Richo left and Ratten took over. The club however continue to f.... up so many critical decsions.

1. Steven was unwell last year and wanted to leave for his welfare, it should have been facilitated. Depression doesnt magically disappear.

2. Hannebrey recruitment is looking like a complete disaster, just another in the clubs history.

3. McKenzie getting a 3 year extension is as bad a list management decision as Armitage getting a huge and lengthy extension years ago.

4. Having so few early draft picks in last years draft, which will prove to be the strongest midfielders draft in modern history.

5. Continually trading away future draft picks and not having the player value to get back into the draft, is like living in overdraft and paying a 50% interest. Complete rubbish forward planning.

6. Richardson contract extension x 2 held us back for years.

7. Then the bad luck the club have had with career ending injuries its like the place is cursed.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Joyce I can kind of understand (if I squint hard), but I was honestly wondering if D-Mac was going to be cut over the last few weeks, and we sign him up for 3! :o Even as back-up, why sign him on for 3 years? Was there threat of him going anywhere else?

HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 12:04am McKenzie re-signed for 3 years!!!

Seriously!
I think he can play, has shown a bit and sometimes makes me think he could be at the very least a 200 gamer, but yeah I've got a question mark over 3 years looking at that metric in isolation. . The devil might be in the detail, i.e. outgoing costs of contract and performance based clauses.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:23am I just don’t get it. Neither Joyce nor McKenzie are heavily cemented in the top22 as must have players.

Have no issue with them staying on the list but 2 and 3 years for fringe players is absurd IMO
All the more galling and ridiculously stupid when a clearly better footballer in Brandon White is un-contracted and left languishing at Sandringham despite playing well.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.