The ridiculous free against Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trixilver
Club Player

Re: The ridiculous free against Dunstan

It's definitely not the players call if you can get pinged for throwing it back for the original free

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is there anywhere that shows a quarter by quarter count of the frees?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sloane takes a mark and then continues to take 7 steps to pull up. The umpire protects him, doesn't make him go back but allows him to dish off to a player running by. Just total incompetence.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:00am Is there anywhere that shows a quarter by quarter count of the frees?
I can give you the totals ..

15 for and 22 against. Again we were screwed by the cheats,

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

The 50 metre call against Hind pissed me off the most. Crows player were doing that all night and it cost us a goal at a crucial moment.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:27am Where was the second 50 for Clark when he was tripped taking the first one?
Exactly.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:56am The 50 metre call against Hind pissed me off the most. Crows player were doing that all night and it cost us a goal at a crucial moment.
totally agree

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:56am The 50 metre call against Hind pissed me off the most. Crows player were doing that all night and it cost us a goal at a crucial moment.
Yeah, f****** disgraceful, as Hind slipped and the crow went sideways.

But we got the rough end all night.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There was a lot of holding down in the tackle/after a mark as well. Its an unfortunate truth we all know of that Adelaide get far more than the rub of the green umpiring wise at home. Disappointing to lose but considering the chances we created and unfortunately butchered and the abysmal biased umpiring it was a reasonable outcome. We have to learn to repay the compliment when they visit us. And what about the head high against Dunstan when he and another perfectly executed a gang tackle - the commentators were speechless for a milli second so shows they thought it wrong - A. Hudson's voice even dropped to falsetto for a while.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Spot on! They even replayed that close up from a different angle. Hind was even at the mark to begin with, he was a metre or so behind it. Not even close to encroaching, the fact he moved in the same direction as the player with the ball should not be penalised.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Sloane takes a mark and then continues to take 7 steps to pull up. The umpire protects him, doesn't make him go back but allows him to dish off to a player running by. Just total incompetence.
They got a goal from that as well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

they got the rub of the green, always do. afl umpires are about the worst in any professional sport and it's time the afl made them fully professional and more accountable. until then it'll remain a blight on the game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:30pm they got the rub of the green, always do. afl umpires are about the worst in any professional sport and it's time the afl made them fully professional and more accountable. until then it'll remain a blight on the game.
You obviously haven’t been watching the Ashes!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote:The 50 metre call against Hind pissed me off the most. Crows player were doing that all night and it cost us a goal at a crucial moment.
I thought he went well over the mark.

But the one they didn’t pay against Sloane when he went a few metres over the mark and grabbed hold of Steele was a shocker. As was the lack of a 2nd 50 to Clark when he was blocked from running forward.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:34pm
desertsaint wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:30pm they got the rub of the green, always do. afl umpires are about the worst in any professional sport and it's time the afl made them fully professional and more accountable. until then it'll remain a blight on the game.
Right there dud one.,couple of crap umpires at the cricket. Must be related to the AFL maggots

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 2:34pm
Haha. Can’t argue with that

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 11:21am Sloane takes a mark and then continues to take 7 steps to pull up. The umpire protects him, doesn't make him go back but allows him to dish off to a player running by. Just total incompetence.
The exact same thing just happened with Hipwood. He took the mark and momentum carried him forward. He then handballed to Neale and the umpire made him go back behind the mark.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 3:53pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote:The 50 metre call against Hind pissed me off the most. Crows player were doing that all night and it cost us a goal at a crucial moment.
I thought he went well over the mark.

But the one they didn’t pay against Sloane when he went a few metres over the mark and grabbed hold of Steele was a shocker. As was the lack of a 2nd 50 to Clark when he was blocked from running forward.
I think he clearly went over the mark.

However the exact same thing happened about 14 times with no 50.

Disappointing really, more than anything.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The free for holding the jumper against Bruce when his opponent was doing the exact same thing was the one that pissed me off most. Long took the mark and instead of a shot on goal they get a bulls*** free kick.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 10:29am The advantage rule in AFL is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this game. Why is it the umpires call if there is to be advantage? It should be up to the player and if they decide to dispose of the ball, then it's play on. If they decide after a second that they don't want to take the advantage then it comes back. What's so hard about that??? Other sports get it right whats so different about this one that it has to be so difficult?
It's because the AFL has created a system whereby every decision is or can be correct. They don't have to be right, just need to be able to say in their interpretation it was right.

Think about it, holding the ball for instance can be interpretated in many ways, some players get less than a micro second and others can be swung around like a fully loaded Hills hoist on a windy day, all can be right.

Advantage rule also is up for interpretation, as was observed Saturday and most games

Home ground advantage is of more concern to me these days, especially interstate. Pissy little umpires that sap the heart out of a team simply by paying what they hear, instead of what they see, being so smug and self righteous whilst doing so. Just listen to them during games, they talk to players like effing primary school teachers

So much is wrong with our game atm. Much of it, including the state of umpiring is a direct result of denial.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 1:01am The free for holding the jumper against Bruce when his opponent was doing the exact same thing was the one that pissed me off most. Long took the mark and instead of a shot on goal they get a bulls*** free kick.
Yes MSG, another example of a shocking night for the umps. You have to ask yourself what they are watching. Surely not focused on one jumper, it should be the contest and identifying all the actions in a millisecond and then making or not making a decision on the information.

Very average and such poor quality ultimately impacts on players, coaches and clubs. Must get better. They can start by stripping back the rules, quite easy, no grey more black & white.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 9:31am
Trixilver wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 10:29am The advantage rule in AFL is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this game. Why is it the umpires call if there is to be advantage? It should be up to the player and if they decide to dispose of the ball, then it's play on. If they decide after a second that they don't want to take the advantage then it comes back. What's so hard about that??? Other sports get it right whats so different about this one that it has to be so difficult?
It's because the AFL has created a system whereby every decision is or can be correct. They don't have to be right, just need to be able to say in their interpretation it was right.

Think about it, holding the ball for instance can be interpretated in many ways, some players get less than a micro second and others can be swung around like a fully loaded Hills hoist on a windy day, all can be right.

Advantage rule also is up for interpretation, as was observed Saturday and most games

Home ground advantage is of more concern to me these days, especially interstate. Pissy little umpires that sap the heart out of a team simply by paying what they hear, instead of what they see, being so smug and self righteous whilst doing so. Just listen to them during games, they talk to players like effing primary school teachers

So much is wrong with our game atm. Much of it, including the state of umpiring is a direct result of denial.
This.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 11:41am
mad saint guy wrote: Mon 05 Aug 2019 1:01am The free for holding the jumper against Bruce when his opponent was doing the exact same thing was the one that pissed me off most. Long took the mark and instead of a shot on goal they get a bulls*** free kick.
Yes MSG, another example of a shocking night for the umps. You have to ask yourself what they are watching. Surely not focused on one jumper, it should be the contest and identifying all the actions in a millisecond and then making or not making a decision on the information.

Very average and such poor quality ultimately impacts on players, coaches and clubs. Must get better. They can start by stripping back the rules, quite easy, no grey more black & white.
This is all I for one ask for - sure - get it wrong - but get it wrong ALL of the time - 1 umpire will miss more - but the interpretation of the rules will be the same. There is so much angst when a free is paid for one thing and then the polar opposite is paid at the other end - make the game easier to play/watch/officiate and people will accept the umpiring decisions easier.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 04 Aug 2019 12:58am Home town stuff. We’re never going to get a decent run over there, at least until we are a much better side.

You need to shut their moronic supporters up on the road and the only way to do that is with constant scoreboard pressure.
Agreed. Bruce missing two straight forward shots at goal was what we needed, more than any umpiring calls.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.