The Hill Effect / Difference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Hill Effect / Difference

Just watched the replay. One thing I can say for sure, though difficult to quantify but I'll guess. If Brad Hill comes to St Kilda next year, he will make us a 3 to 4 goal better side & Freo 3 to 4 goals worse.

One individual means we win the game earlier in the year, in Freo, by as much as 4 goals. We win yesterday's game by 6 goals.

He is playing amazing football, a Marvel wing (or character) should be named after him if he comes to St Kilda.

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: The Hill Effect / Difference

Stating the obvious but he's a jet and we'd be such a better team with him on a wing. That kick he made to Matera, 3rd qtr I think, where he burst from the pack and landed it on his head was sooo good. I envisioned him doing it in a Saints jumper and I got a little excited.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

And most importantly, when we really needed him, he kicked the ball out on the full while we were 8 points down late in the last quarter. 30s later, and Jack Steven has put us within a goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:30am And most importantly, when we really needed him, he kicked the ball out on the full while we were 8 points down late in the last quarter. 30s later, and Jack Steven has put us within a goal.
He did too. :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:30am And most importantly, when we really needed him, he kicked the ball out on the full while we were 8 points down late in the last quarter. 30s later, and Jack Steven has put us within a goal.
A true Saint in more ways than one.

A centre line of Hill / Hannebery / Billings works for me.

Trixilver
Club Player

Start of a great Saints career

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Would be thrilled to get Hill. Might mean we have to take his brother on a huge contract as well. I'd still do it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have thought for a while that Hill is the only genuine quality player that we are a realistic chance of getting.

He is also the type of player who should make a big difference in our 22 given his speed, line breaking skills and normally good ball use (we will forgive him for that out of the full ;) ). He is a great age for our list profile too.

We might lust after Cogs , but I would be amazed if he said yes to us. Delighted, but amazed.

We now need to announce Ratts as our coach to give Hill the certainty he will need to pick us.

If Steven does in fact go, if we could land Constable back then going into 2020 with effectively Hill, Constable, Bytel and Max should have us entering the year on the up and up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hill would know Ratts pretty well. Be a big fan even.

wally
Club Player

An unfortunate fact is that not everyone wants to come to the saints.
Within reason when someone decent wants to come we should go for it.
Hill is what we need he wants to come ,biggest obstacle is what Freo want.
A lot of our first round picks haven't done much so to trade another away for a player works for me

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

If he wants to come back to Victoria, wouldn't the Hawks be up to their nostrils in him?

Saint supporter since '62
silverhalo
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:59pm If he wants to come back to Victoria, wouldn't the Hawks be up to their nostrils in him?
I'm sure I read that he doesn't want to go back to Hawthorn

saintbob
SS Life Member

Will he come if Harvs gets the gig??!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

What in the Sam Hill is going on here?!?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 12:02am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:59pm If he wants to come back to Victoria, wouldn't the Hawks be up to their nostrils in him?
I'm sure I read that he doesn't want to go back to Hawthorn
I think that's correct.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintbob wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 12:21am Will he come if Harvs gets the gig??!
Wouldn't be many players who'd turn down the chance to work with Harves, I wouldn't have thought. Players aren't like fans. They won't be too concerned how the coach comes across in the pressers. Why wouldn't you want to work with an out and out champion?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

He's already stated that he doesn't want to return to the Hawks. They're all over Coniglio (not that it will amount to anything - he stays at GWS or goes to Carltoon)

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:17pm I have thought for a while that Hill is the only genuine quality player that we are a realistic chance of getting.

He is also the type of player who should make a big difference in our 22 given his speed, line breaking skills and normally good ball use (we will forgive him for that out of the full ;) ). He is a great age for our list profile too.

We might lust after Cogs , but I would be amazed if he said yes to us. Delighted, but amazed.

We now need to announce Ratts as our coach to give Hill the certainty he will need to pick us.

If Steven does in fact go, if we could land Constable back then going into 2020 with effectively Hill, Constable, Bytel and Max should have us entering the year on the up and up.
Not true SR. We are very, very big into Adam Tomlinson. He is a phenomenal footballer. Unrestricted Free Agent. With Graeme Allan on board - this is the first time that I feel like we have a realistic chance of landing him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 4:24pm
saintsRrising wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 12:17pm I have thought for a while that Hill is the only genuine quality player that we are a realistic chance of getting.
Not true SR. We are very, very big into Adam Tomlinson. He is a phenomenal footballer. Unrestricted Free Agent. With Graeme Allan on board - this is the first time that I feel like we have a realistic chance of landing him.

Yes the rumours are that he is very likely to join us.

But I only view him as a versatile and handy player, whereas you rate him as a phenomenal footballer

By genuine quality I mean very good to star.

Hopefully I am wrong and you are right though ;) I mean it could be that as Whitfield is just so damn good that Tomlinson is just not given the ball as much as Whitfield is by their team mates.

Tomlinson to me is a handy player who can play many position but is master of none.

They may also have in mind to beef him up more to play FB taking over from Brown as a more attacking FB option.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 3:43pm
saintbob wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 12:21am Will he come if Harvs gets the gig??!
Wouldn't be many players who'd turn down the chance to work with Harves, I wouldn't have thought. Players aren't like fans. They won't be too concerned how the coach comes across in the pressers. Why wouldn't you want to work with an out and out champion?
Don’t get me wrong Harvs is an absolute champion, I was just thinking that Ratten was probably the draw card.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 4:38pm
Saintmatt wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 4:24pm

Yes the rumours are that he is very likely to join us.

But I only view him as a versatile and handy player, whereas you rate him as a phenomenal footballer

By genuine quality I mean very good to star.

Hopefully I am wrong and you are right though ;) I mean it could be that as Whitfield is just so damn good that Tomlinson is just not given the ball as much as Whitfield is by their team mates.

Tomlinson to me is a handy player who can play many position but is master of none.

They may also have in mind to beef him up more to play FB taking over from Brown as a more attacking FB option.
I hope I'm right too. I watch him quite a bit more closely than others. He's a prototype. Roo's height and athleticism but Nathan Brown's bulk - great tank, huge contested mark, excellent below his knees. To your point on him playing everywhere - it's because they need him too. With GWS' constant run of injuries - he has to play everywhere from deep back to wing/HF.

As for him being a star - if you get a chance - look at his game in their Prelim loss to Richmond. He was immense. Comfortably their best player playing basically as a ruck rover. Big stage and he stood up against a tsunami.

Regarding Kelly and Whitfield. They are both superb. There's a very good reason that they let ball butcherers such as Adams, Trleoar and Sheil depart ... it's because those two + Coniglio are easily their best midfielders and the 3 they'd be unable to replace.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The other factor once a player like Hill should choose us & then a UFA like Tomlinson, the whispers of others such as Hugh Greenwood & Zac Jones become highly probable.

There's 4 that I believe easily make our Top 25, to be honest Top 20.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Saints making a big play for him. Also interested on one of the Crouchs

St Kilda is set to offer Fremantle speedster Bradley Hill a massive deal.

“ST KILDA is preparing to offer Fremantle midfielder Brad Hill up to $900,000 a season.

The Saints have targeted the three-time Hawthorn premiership player and 2017 Dockers' best and fairest winner since it became known he would seek a return to Victoria.

Hill is contracted to Fremantle until the end of 2021, but via his management has made the Dockers and Victorian clubs aware he wanted to follow his partner back to Melbourne.”

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-19/ ... tar-docker

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"