The Number one desired quality that talent scouts look for in elite sports men

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Number one desired quality that talent scouts look for in elite sports men

To be clear... all of the things mentioned are important and essential in varying degrees. Skill, work rate, attitude, talent, leadership, stamina, confidence and so on. Depending on the game, position etc. there are variances in importance of each quality.

When looking at a wide variety of talent that possessed any combination of these qualities to various degrees... around the table, to a person, all the talent managers, scouts etc said they looked for one quality that set people apart from the rest:

They called it the ability to reset from failure... especially in the short term. The example given was from a soccer scout... he said that an example of something that would put recruiters in a head spin would be if a forward missed a crucial penalty shot in a game and then managed shortly there after.

In golf, it’s missing an incredibly easy out only to go under par at the next hole.

Across the board, they said that amongst a group of prospects, the least skilled, least talented athlete that can rebound, improve of maintain high performance is always rated much much higher than someone that is immensely more skilled/talented but falls away after blundering badly.

Just thought that was interesting.

In the context of the seminar... this went on to a discussion about how leaders of organisations often don’t focus on or teach their employees about how to recover from setbacks and how it’s always better for leaders/employees to be brave and bold, and take risks to succeed even if they fail.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Number one desired quality that talent scouts look for in elite sports men

The size of their bribe.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

PS, apologies for the delay... working this evening

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, drive

asiu
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:18pm Surely this is baiting!

Why aren’t the mods doing their job?
that made me laugh

u do have a sense of humour !!

:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:26pm To be clear... all of the things mentioned are important and essential in varying degrees. Skill, work rate, attitude, talent, leadership, stamina, confidence and so on. Depending on the game, position etc. there are variances in importance of each quality.

When looking at a wide variety of talent that possessed any combination of these qualities to various degrees... around the table, to a person, all the talent managers, scouts etc said they looked for one quality that set people apart from the rest:

They called it the ability to reset from failure... especially in the short term. The example given was from a soccer scout... he said that an example of something that would put recruiters in a head spin would be if a forward missed a crucial penalty shot in a game and then managed shortly there after.

In golf, it’s missing an incredibly easy out only to go under par at the next hole.

Across the board, they said that amongst a group of prospects, the least skilled, least talented athlete that can rebound, improve of maintain high performance is always rated much much higher than someone that is immensely more skilled/talented but falls away after blundering badly.

In the context of the seminar... this went on to a discussion about how leaders of organisations often don’t focus on or teach their employees about how to recover from setbacks and how it’s always better for leaders/employees to be brave and bold, and take risks to succeed even if they fail.
So ... resilience?
Defined as - the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:27am
skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:26pm To be clear... all of the things mentioned are important and essential in varying degrees. Skill, work rate, attitude, talent, leadership, stamina, confidence and so on. Depending on the game, position etc. there are variances in importance of each quality.

So ... resilience?
I guess so.

Always looked at resilience as more sustained toughness e.g. Freeman working through his various hamstring setbacks is how I would define resilience personally.

The quality described on the day is more immediate

Josh Battle
Club Player

So ... resilience?
And the winner is....Sydney!

And BackFromUSA :D

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:38am

So ... resilience?
I guess so.

Always looked at resilience as more sustained toughness e.g. Freeman working through his various hamstring setbacks is how I would define resilience personally.

So with this parameter
How do you describe the Saints of 09 & 10
3 opportunities to overcome

Seeya
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

so the actual word is resilience, but none of these experts knew the word?
edit - oops, bfusa beat me too it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 6:50pm so the actual word is resilience, but none of these experts knew the word?
edit - oops, bfusa beat me too it.
that's not what they called it no

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Must be an elusive quality to test in young stars. Not many are used to failing in their age groups. I think the speakers were having a lend - either of themselves or the audience. Your test today is to fail. No tantrums, no abuse, no sledging, just a straight forward fail. We will come back in a month and see how much you have improved, if we remember. Or, it was ok to fail we are here to test your resilience, but gee the guy that didn't fail looks pretty good.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Righto then. That makes perfect sense. That's why we recruit injured blokes

And the club likes to test the members resilience

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:03am Arrogance
That’s not exactly a strength.

Attitude and work ethic blah blah
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 13 Aug 2019 10:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 7:28pm Must be an elusive quality to test in young stars. Not many are used to failing in their age groups. I think the speakers were having a lend - either of themselves or the audience. Your test today is to fail. No tantrums, no abuse, no sledging, just a straight forward fail. We will come back in a month and see how much you have improved, if we remember. Or, it was ok to fail we are here to test your resilience, but gee the guy that didn't fail looks pretty good.
Odd take. They're obviously not looking for people to fail, but rather how they respond when they make bad mistakes. A positive response opposed to dropping the head was detailed as a very appealing characteristic

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Crows’ Gold Coast pre-season camp that caused so much controversy was part of a program intended to address their response to things not going well or making mistakes. They identified that they could see the wheels falling off at half time of the 2017 GF and felt powerless to do anything about it. That camp was part of a program intended to teach them how to focus on their strengths and re-set in the midst of things not going well. Might not have been very effective, but the intention was there.
It’s also something the Saints were working on as a whole team back in 2015 and 2016.
A fella I know who was involved told me that instead of only training for what they want to happen, teams also benefit by training how to respond when things they don’t want happen.

Harves Man
Club Player

Harves Man wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:42pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:41am
Harves Man wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:25am Unshakable self-belief. Bet each way maybe: determination.
Not quite... but the closest so far
Both determination and self-belief when things are not going well/in face of adversity?
I say, Skeppers old boy, was not the above saying pretty much the same thing, using different words? :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 6:05pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:38am

So ... resilience?
I guess so.

So with this parameter
How do you describe the Saints of 09 & 10
3 opportunities to overcome
Good question.

In the context of the 2010 replay, I think at the end of the day one team was a lot fitter than the other and ran away with it. Don't think there was a lot that could have been done at that point.
In the drawn GF, now granted I've never been able to bring myself to watch a replay... from memory, I think we just about did what we could there too. We were behind a few goals and fought back... don't think resilience was a big factor in the result.
To be honest, I think 2010 for me was more of an issue of developing talent than anything else. We had an incredible top 8 or so that really carried the team capped off with 2 of the best, herculean performances by Goddard and Hayes in the draw. But the list fell away very dramatically after that. By the time the GF came round, Gardiner was badly out of form, McQualter + Eddy + Dempster had forgettable seasons, Gram I think was lacking fitness (or was terribly out of sorts), Baker was a bit down as well... meanwhile we had Armitage and Steven not really able to get games, Geary would cement his spot after and McEvoy was also a year or two away from getting better in form.

Always thought our development over this period cost us a little bit more than anything that happened on the day.

To 2009... well that's a better example
Horrible day in that we statistically dominated the Cats and outplayed them in almost every facet... worst static of all time: the only team to outscore their opponents in GF in 3 of the 4 quarters and lose the match

And the what cost us... we developed a funk in kicking goals. It turned into this psychological thing that spread through the team and saw guys like Milne, Schneider, McQualter, Kosi IIRC miss goals that they would normally gobble up. It seemed to turn into anxiety by the end and we couldn't snap out of it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 10:46pm
Harves Man wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:42pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:41am
Harves Man wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:25am Unshakable self-belief. Bet each way maybe: determination.
Not quite... but the closest so far
Both determination and self-belief when things are not going well/in face of adversity?
I say, Skeppers old boy, was not the above saying pretty much the same thing, using different words? :D
You may have a point... again I took this to me a longer term view (comment) rather than an immediate one but I think that's on me rather than you

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure it is the same as 'resilience' or as determination and self-belief blah blah - the definitions sound the same but I don't think there is a single word for that ability skeptic's on about. It's the short-term bit that makes the difference. It's concentration ultimately - the ability not to get put off your game - even after you just got put off your game! Getting straight back on the horse.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:14pm I'm not sure it is the same as 'resilience' or as determination and self-belief blah blah - the definitions sound the same but I don't think there is a single word for that ability skeptic's on about. It's the short-term bit that makes the difference. It's concentration ultimately - the ability not to get put off your game - even after you just got put off your game! Getting straight back on the horse.
Bloke I know who worked with the Rabbitohs when they won the premiership in 2014 told me he had them all go up into the grandstand and visualise the game in progress. Then he asked them what percentage of the game things happened that weren’t part of the plan or out of their control. The consensus was between 40 and 50%. He then asked them how much training they did for those situations. Their response was zero.
The point being that teams train for their game plan and their system, but not for how to respond when things go wrong.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:58pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:18pm Surely this is baiting!

Why aren’t the mods doing their job?
that made me laugh

u do have a sense of humour !!

:)
We'll see...I just reported him for baiting :)