Lyon Sacked!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon Sacked!!

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019 5:00pm To all his disciples

No one thinks you are less of a man if this is a little emotional for you

It's ok to cry
Are you still crying over GT being unemployed for a decade? ...Lyons crying cause he walks away with $5m...lol

“Yeah….nah””
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:30am BJ says St Kilda fans would welcome Ross back.

BJ obviously doesn't visit Saintsational.
Ha Ha - I thought exactly that when watching.
PS
Has BJ been to Ashley and Martin?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Bowey Boy
Club Player

and Yup - GWS would be perfect - already got the cattle.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 9:16am

It's ok to cry
Are you still crying over GT being unemployed for a decade? ...Lyons crying cause he walks away with $5m...lol
GT was employed by many organisations after he was sacked and even worked on Footy Classified up until 2012. He was running many successful businesses even before coaching St Kilda. That was one of the reasons he was such a competent people manager (unlike Ross the Boss). Try a google search and you'll see that what you posted about him being unemployed is plain wrong. You are losing credibility

We had a chance to make history under GT and the club blew it. Have a look at the star players who want to desert the Fremantle Football club and look also at all the quality assistant coaches that simply can't work with the Tosser. A football club coach needs to be more than just a good tactician or a ruthless hard arse.

Ross Lyon was given 'every opportunity' to succeed at both clubs and now at Freo which has unlimited resources, they have chosen to dump him and bear the cost... History is the ultimate judge.

Stop trying to deflect. This thread is about Ross the Boss. Ross the Floss and Ross the Toss

Ross Lyin has been found out. The snake oil salesman is out of a job and his supporters and followers are trying to discredit and belittle other people. Hmmmmmm

Do you know why the last thread turned into a Lyin vs GT debate? Because that is the tactic from the Lyin Lovers. Lyin got Saints into a GF so he must be better. Let's not consider the state of the lists that each coach left behind or what the state of the teams were when they were appointed. Let's exclude what information we want and isolate only one aspect of coaching.
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:15am, edited 3 times in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Good post, scollop.
Lyon is a snake-oil-salesman whose potions are well past their use-by dates.

On the practical and pragmatic level ...
If we do the unthinkable and we are gullible enough to buy his mythical potions, once again - a fair percentage of supporters, who don't have their heads in the clouds and who are firm in their convictions and principles, would not renew their memberships.

Can we afford to lose 10,000 members?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Surely the club cannot be that stupid to re-hire Lyon?

Surely?!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:07am

It's ok to cry
GT was employed by many organisations after he was sacked and even worked on Footy Classified up until 2012. He was running many successful businesses even before coaching St Kilda. That was one of the reasons he was such a competent people manager (unlike Ross the Boss). Try a google search and you'll see that what you posted about him being unemployed is plain wrong. You are losing credibility

We had a chance to make history under GT and the club blew it. Have a look at the star players who want to desert the Fremantle Football club and look also at all the quality assistant coaches that simply can't work with the Tosser. A football club coach needs to be more than just a good tactician or a ruthless hard arse.

Ross Lyon was given 'every opportunity' to succeed at both clubs and now at Freo which has unlimited resources, they have chosen to dump him and bear the cost... History is the ultimate judge.

Stop trying to deflect. This thread is about Ross the Boss. Ross the Floss and Ross the Toss

Ross Lyin has been found out. The snake oil salesman is out of a job and his supporters and followers are trying to discredit and belittle other people. Hmmmmmm

Do you know why the last thread turned into a Lyin vs GT debate? Because that is the tactic from the Lyin Lovers. Lyin got Saints into a GF so he must be better. Let's not consider the state of the lists that each coach left behind or what the state of the teams were when they were appointed. Let's exclude what information we want and isolate only one aspect of coaching.

This is a lot of words just to say yes.

Speaks volumes.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:07am Good post, scollop.

If we do the unthinkable and we are gullible enough to buy his mythical potions, once again - a fair percentage of supporters, who don't have their heads in the clouds and who are firm in their convictions and principles, would not renew their memberships.

Count me in for 3 non-renewals of reserved seat members. Call it my no confidence vote in the board should they be silly enough to appoint Lyon.

Good coach, extremely divisive person. StKilda does not need the latter!

Saint supporter since '62
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:38am

Count me in for 3 non-renewals of reserved seat members. Call it my no confidence vote in the board should they be silly enough to appoint Lyon.

Still not over getting dumped?

Seems our fans are like a scorned ex partner...

Good coach but still hurting and hating.

If you are going to hold the club to ransom , just don’t renew now. No club needs fair weather fans like this. Enjoy the couch.

takeaway
Club Player

It's ok to cry

From the article in the Age, it appears Lyon would be more interested in a Director of Coaching role rather than head coach. Don't think he would come back to the Saints. Ratts should probably be the man, as long as he is not too "soft". I like Lyon's hard edge though - and there is no doubt he is a very good coach. BJ, Roo, and many ex players who have first hand knowledge agree.

Lyon vs GT? Lyon did very well admittedly with a good list, but due to limited draft options at the time could not fully build the list he wanted, bit weak in the bottom six of the team. I always regarded GT as a bit of an ongoing caretaker coach, did OK, had a gun list, but found lacking at the business end. You could argue that RL did too, but at least he got to the ultimate (3 times), and bad luck played a big part. What would a real coach done with the 2001-6 list? Phew.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

This thread is about Ross the Boss. Ross the Floss and Ross the Toss
none of the above thanks saints.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The circumstances of how he left the club don’t matter to me.

I just can’t cop his defence-first attitude. I didn’t like it at the time and said so repeatedly.

I prefer a coach whose first instinct is to try to win a game rather than to try to stop the opposition winning.

Ratten is more of the former

Ross’s inability to develop and encourage young players is part of the same defensive syndrome
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Takeaway said:

"Lyon vs GT? Lyon did very well admittedly with a good list, but due to limited draft options at the time could not fully build the list he wanted, bit weak in the bottom six of the team. I always regarded GT as a bit of an ongoing caretaker coach, did OK, had a gun list, but found lacking at the business end. You could argue that RL did too, but at least he got to the ultimate (3 times), and bad luck played a big part. What would a real coach done with the 2001-6 list? Phew."

Enough excuses takeaway. Freo have given the guy a chance to see if he can build a team. He can't. Lyon is about self interest and he mistakenly thinks that recycled rejects can play a role better than skinny talented youth. He pushed to retain Ballantyne and Sandilands ffs instead of having faith in his recruiters who had selected some of the best young talent in the country.

GT didn't have a gun list. He created a gun list. When GT was appointed the team had come off being bottom of the ladder!!

When Lyon was appointed to St Kilda he inherited a list that had played in three consecutive finals series including two preliminaries. GT showed that he was building a team that would have sustained success. He instilled belief in his young chargers and created leaders of the future for a healthy football club.

Fremantle football club cannot afford to retain a guy who is also on the nose with members. The Freo team under Ross Lyin kicked 2 goals for an entire game of football in the derby this year. We'r not talking about a bottom 4 team who is bereft of talent. Speaking of talent...He has continued to lose too many talented players and who knows after Neale, and now Hill and Langdon who was next.

The health of a footy club is about sustained success and not just to sacrifice the future for your own personal glory. I was happy when he left us. People mistakenly think we have a grudge because of that and for me that is totally wrong.

I didn't think he was doing the right thing by our club as he wasn't interested in developing good young players or developing future leaders at St Kilda. I just didn't agree with his defensive ugly footy philosophy and I thought he made mistakes in underestimating the youth at his disposal.
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019 8:31pm The ex wants to come back after they broke my heart and put me on skid row for 8 years.. Left the cupboard bare didn't nurture the children.. Now he has been given the ass because he did it again to his most recent love.. No f****** way who is that stupid..
Your best post yet.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:03am
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:30am BJ says St Kilda fans would welcome Ross back.

Ha Ha - I thought exactly that when watching.
PS
Has BJ been to Ashley and Martin?
Another me too moment. BJ needs to get out in the real world.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

9 non renewals here.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:17pm Takeaway said:

"Lyon vs GT? Lyon did very well admittedly with a good list, but due to limited draft options at the time could not fully build the list he wanted, bit weak in the bottom six of the team. I always regarded GT as a bit of an ongoing caretaker coach, did OK, had a gun list, but found lacking at the business end. You could argue that RL did too, but at least he got to the ultimate (3 times), and bad luck played a big part. What would a real coach done with the 2001-6 list? Phew."

Enough excuses takeaway. Freo have given the guy a chance to see if he can build a team. He can't. Lyon is about self interest and he mistakenly thinks that recycled rejects can play a role better than skinny talented youth. He pushed to retain Ballantyne and Sandilands ffs instead of having faith in his recruiters who had selected some of the best young talent in the country.

GT didn't have a gun list. He created a gun list. When GT was appointed the team had come off being bottom of the ladder!!

When Lyon was appointed to St Kilda he inherited a list that had played in three consecutive finals series including two preliminaries. GT showed that he was building a team that would have sustained success. He instilled belief in his young chargers and created leaders of the future for a healthy football club.

Fremantle football club cannot afford to retain a guy who is also on the nose with members. The Freo team under Ross Lyin kicked 2 goals for an entire game of football in the derby this year. We'r not talking about a bottom 4 team who is bereft of talent. Speaking of talent...He has continued to lose too many talented players and who knows after Neale, and now Hill and Langdon who was next.

The health of a footy club is about sustained success and not just to sacrifice the future for your own personal glory. I was happy when he left us. People mistakenly think we have a grudge because of that and for me that is totally wrong.

I didn't think he was doing the right thing by our club as he wasn't interested in developing good young players or developing future leaders at St Kilda. I just didn't agree with his defensive ugly footy philosophy and I thought he made mistakes in underestimating the youth at his disposal.
Fair enough, we disagree...... totally.

HarryM
Club Player

Good grief did you think any of them actually do? :lol:

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm one of those delighted to see Lyon sacked because IMO he screwed the club. I'm not of the school that thinks doing the best for your family is a justification for doing the worst for everyone - or anyone - else. I'll leave that to fascists and the mafia. And to Ross Lyon (no, not suggesting he's either of those things!! but I do think that's where family-first ultimately gets us).

BUT I do think he understood something important - that in what we keep being told is a 'results-based industry', it doesn't matter how many you win by. A victory by one point is good enough. Keeping your opponent to 30 points and scoring 31 is still a win, even in a grand final.

He also clearly subscribes to the pov expressed in my 'between the ears' post (so won't argue with myself there!) As Pavlich says in The Age today: "he got the best out of players who were less talented than their opposition". And now he's off to learn more about behavioural economics - so he'll be back with new ways to eke the most out of the least.

As someone else says above - he'd make a leader out of Newnes or out of anyone willing to take direction. I know there were a lot of talented players on our list 2009 - 10, but Clint Jones also played in all those GFs. Clint Jones, people.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:00pm

BUT I do think he understood something important - that in what we keep being told is a 'results-based industry', it doesn't matter how many you win by. A victory by one point is good enough. Keeping your opponent to 30 points and scoring 31 is still a win, even in a grand final.
You want to remind us how that approach has gone in his Grand Final appearances?
freely wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:00pm As Pavlich says in The Age today: "he got the best out of players who were less talented than their opposition".
I can’t speak on Fremantle, but I feel that significantly undervalues the list he inherited at St Kilda. Assembled and developed not by him, I might add, but by GT and Buttress.

It was a very, very good list ... cherry ripe for success. Yet he failed to improve it - or even maintain it - with any up and comers.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:46am

Still not over getting dumped?

Seems our fans are like a scorned ex partner...

Good coach but still hurting and hating.

If you are going to hold the club to ransom , just don’t renew now. No club needs fair weather fans like this. Enjoy the couch.
Well, yes!😁

Saint supporter since '62
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 4:00am
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:45am
Spinner wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019 8:52pm
B.M wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019 6:29pm Will be coach of Essendon or Adelaide next season

Without doubt!

Ratten will coach StK

B.Scott will coach either
Fremantle, Port or Essendon (if Ross goes to Adel)

M.Voss will also coach

Agree with this, think that’s how it will play out.

Opens up a great opportunity for B Scott!
Dont be surprised if he bobs up at GWS'.
Woah!!!! :shock: Good call!

Look at GWS.

- Fantastic talent but are not making the most of it (even allowing for this year's injuries.
- At the end of 2020 they face losing both Whitfield and Cameron as FAs. Kelly and Davis the year after
- Is their current coach making the most of what they have? And especially as what they have may start going backwards after next year (Cogs may go this year)
- Hence their time to win the flag is 2020 No win next year and they may miss the boat.
- IMO GWS lack a hard element to their game

That is why I think the GWS may well pounce on Lyon. They will be worried about the NOW.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
suss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:55pm
B.M wrote: Tue 20 Aug 2019 6:29pm Will be coach of Essendon or Adelaide next season

Without doubt!

Ratten will coach StK

M.Voss will also coach

Look at GWS.

- Fantastic talent but are not making the most of it (even allowing for this year's injuries.
- At the end of 2020 they face losing both Whitfield and Cameron as FAs. Kelly and Davis the year after
- Is their current coach making the most of what they have? And especially as what they have may start going backwards after next year (Cogs may go this year)
- Hence their time to win the flag is 2020 No win next year and they may miss the boat.

That is why I think the GWS may well pounce on Lyon. They will be worried about the NOW.
He's exactly what they need.

And I wonder if Carlton feel they went too early with Teague.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 21 Aug 2019 1:55pm

Without doubt!

Ratten will coach StK

M.Voss will also coach

Look at GWS.

Gilligan will make sure this happens. He needs his love child team to win a flag

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.