Josh Bruce to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Josh Bruce to be traded?

Referring to the comment re playing amongst themselves reminds me

When McAllister put it to Travis Payze that St Kilda should vote against the equalisation fund (Collingwood were on the verge of collapse) when the guest of St Kilda, offering an equally financially struggling St Kilda $100,000- for the vote, someone well known to me (like me!) offered that the only competition Allan was interested in was Collingwood A’s playing Collingwood B’s each week, and how would that play out?

The conversation did not last much longer

And we beat Collingwood that day!!

barneyboyz
Club Player

mbogo wrote: Tue 10 Sep 2019 5:36pm So why are there no discussion points about Bruce in this thread, just a lot of arguing about other stuff? Bruce needs to stay, end of story!!
It's the YouTube principle. You start in one space and end-up somewhere completely different :)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
suss
Club Player

I think trading Bruce would be a big mistake. He's a heart and soul player and an important part of our forward line.

Max King might be a star but he might also take years to get there and injury is always a risk.

This has echoes of the Rhys Stanley trade.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Bruce can go if it benefits the club. Yes it will hurt but battle moving forward along with king starting that is three talks up forward. But that will leave a hole up back.
I hope to be proven wrong but I can't see Roberton returning. If his heart gives out on the fieldiy will be the worse outcome imaginable. So we need to get another key back after a speedy mid on top of hill. IE one is better than none but of he gets injured we are screwed again

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

suss wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:30am I think trading Bruce would be a big mistake. He's a heart and soul player and an important part of our forward line.

Max King might be a star but he might also take years to get there and injury is always a risk.

My personal view is that Rhys Stanley is a complete and utter fraud. He plays well in straight lines at KP but has zero game awareness and hence, in the wide open spaces of the G ... struggles. Moreover - when it really counted - when they really needed a ruckman to play on an AA ruckman last Friday night - they didn't trust him enough to play him. '

It's our fault that we wasted the pick 21 we got for him on Hugh Godard.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:40am If his heart gives out on the fieldiy will be the worse outcome imaginable.

I am not sure about the logic there.

As I understand he has a problem that they do not really understand, but the symptom of which is that his heart can stop beating, or at least go into an irregular beat that causes a problem. ie feinting.

The occurrence of this in Robbo is extremely rare.

To address this they have installed a device that restores the correct rhythm if it happens. This happened in a practice game this year. Robbo reporting feeling it going off like a kick in the cheat, but otherwise had no ill effects. If it happens again reading between the lines this is all that will most likely happen in the future.

He has trained ever since, though has not been allowed to do full contact training. He is streesing his body but all has gone well.

At present from a purely logical point of view their seems to be no medical reason why he cannot play.

If his heart has the problem in a game, the device will go off and Robbo will sit out the rest of the game on the bench.

It would seem that it has not kicked in again, despite him stressing his body each week.

However while it would seem medically it is not an issue, the liability and insurance side may be what actually prevents him from playing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 2:03pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:40am If his heart gives out on the fieldiy will be the worse outcome imaginable.

I am not sure about the logic there.

As I understand he has a problem that they do not really understand, but the symptom of which is that his heart can stop beating, or at least go into an irregular beat that causes a problem. ie feinting.

The occurrence of this in Robbo is extremely rare.

To address this they have installed a device that restores the correct rhythm if it happens. This happened in a practice game this year. Robbo reporting feeling it going off like a kick in the cheat, but otherwise had no ill effects. If it happens again reading between the lines this is all that will most likely happen in the future.

He has trained ever since, though has not been allowed to do full contact training. He is streesing his body but all has gone well.

At present from a purely logical point of view their seems to be no medical reason why he cannot play.

If his heart has the problem in a game, the device will go off and Robbo will sit out the rest of the game on the bench.

It would seem that it has not kicked in again, despite him stressing his body each week.

However while it would seem medically it is not an issue, the liability and insurance side may be what actually prevents him from playing.
You have over analysed the crap out of a fairly straight forward comment. I am not a cardiologist buy what I know is that the heart is fairly fragile. My comments was simply if he plays and his flawed heart can't take it and the technology fails him then it will be horrendous for him and his family.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 1:35pm
suss wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:30am I think trading Bruce would be a big mistake. He's a heart and soul player and an important part of our forward line.

My personal view is that Rhys Stanley is a complete and utter fraud. He plays well in straight lines at KP but has zero game awareness and hence, in the wide open spaces of the G ... struggles. Moreover - when it really counted - when they really needed a ruckman to play on an AA ruckman last Friday night - they didn't trust him enough to play him. '

Chris Scott's blustering about mistakes hasn't helped either. It just shows that they put alot of thought to Rhys playing and said 'stuff it!'

If Bruce does leave, I'd be looking at the bloke Jenkins from the Crows, he has been a fair ruck/forward and would take that larger bodied Back

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 2:24pm

You have over analysed the crap out of a fairly straight forward comment. I am not a cardiologist buy what I know is that the heart is fairly fragile. My comments was simply if he plays and his flawed heart can't take it and the technology fails him then it will be horrendous for him and his family.

I will put it more simply then. From what I have read, and understand, that will not happen.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 2:32pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 1:35pm

Chris Scott's blustering about mistakes hasn't helped either. It just shows that they put alot of thought to Rhys playing and said 'stuff it!'

If Bruce does leave, I'd be looking at the bloke Jenkins from the Crows, he has been a fair ruck/forward and would take that larger bodied Back
Except he is not that type of forward, nothing like Bruce.
A change in game plan, banning the bomb, would see Bruce less effective and wo hold lend more to a guy like Jenkins. Personally, I think Jenkins is a bit soft and more concerned with retirement and the media than he is playing for a club like St.Kilda. It would be a 'Blight' on our development and financial position to employ him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This makes it very clear that we don't actually watch other teams play.

Stanley was dropped for the final on Friday.

So if you mean we got a very good draft pick for a at times VFL player, that disregard the above.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to point out that Rhys Stanley has played 73 games (inc multiple finals), averaged 13 ppg and kicked 45 goals and averaged over 20 hit outs per game for Geelong. A s sure as sh*t will be included this week after last weeks farcical mistake.

Hugh Goddard played 10 games for StK

That’s the thing with trading a player for a pick, a player, you know what you’ve got... a pick is always speculative... especially after 10.

Let’s say Bruce goes for pick 14

You know Bruce can play another 80-100 games and kick another 120-150 goals, take a key defender and contest countless marks down the line, work hard up and down the ground.

Pick 14
Could possibly be a Cyril Rioli or probably be a GOP or at worse a bust.

What’s the point of that?

How does that make us better... unless we strike it lucky? How lucky have we been??

The last 3 pick 14s
Harry Perryman, Matthew Long, Jackson Hately

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Pick 12 from the Dogs for Bruce could go to Freo with 5 in exchange for Hill and 6.
Pick 6 and Newnes would probably convince the Suns to give us B.King.
This won't be great for our forward line next year but brings a lot more hope than planning on Bruce staying, or being needed, beyond next year and maintaining his best form, which has happened at polar ends of his career in 2 seasons with a lot of very average performances and injury concerns in between.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ben King will be at GC in 2020

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:15pm I’d like to point out that Rhys Stanley has played 73 games (inc multiple finals), averaged 13 ppg and kicked 45 goals and averaged over 20 hit outs per game for Geelong. A s sure as sh*t will be included this week after last weeks farcical mistake.

That’s the thing with trading a player for a pick, a player, you know what you’ve got... a pick is always speculative... especially after 10.

You know Bruce can play another 80-100 games and kick another 120-150 goals, take a key defender and contest countless marks down the line, work hard up and down the ground.

Pick 14

How does that make us better... unless we strike it lucky? How lucky have we been??

The last 3 pick 14s
Do you think he'll be traded merely for a pick?

I don't.

suss
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:15pm I’d like to point out that Rhys Stanley has played 73 games (inc multiple finals), averaged 13 ppg and kicked 45 goals and averaged over 20 hit outs per game for Geelong. A s sure as sh*t will be included this week after last weeks farcical mistake.

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s
What he said.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Pick 6 is still a lot better than pick 14.
It could then be split to pick up players like Papley and Jones, who on the balance of things would make giving up Bruce a much healthier prospect.
The killer comes when you remove Battle or Marshall from their current positions.
Papley, King, Membrey and Marshall with Gresham.and Long begins to look pretty dangerous as a forward line.
I'd bank on Carlisle, Brown and Wilkie for another year and I would definitely experiment with Marshall relieving from CHF or resting forward with another ruckman.
If you got Papley and Hill you could forgo Jones and try for Allir Allir.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

suss wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 9:53pm

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s
What he said.
I'd be surprised if Bruce was traded for pick 14.

And, if that pick wasn't instantly used to bring in a player.

Pick 14 realistically is a steal for us for a 28yo key forward that averaged 1.5 goals a week.

It's highly unlikely we'd get that.

I really like Bruce. He's been poorly coached for 6 years, but that dude has always busted his arse.

But regardless, if pick 14 can be used to boost our midfield - then take the f****** money and run!!!

I'd hate to lose Bruce, but we simply must improve our midfield. And if someone is crazy enough to offer a top 15 pick to us for him which we can on-trade - then we just got kissed on the dick by an angel.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

Spot on B.M

Don't trade our best forward ( at present).
We all want King to be unreal, but he has never played a single game. He needs at least 2-3 seasons to start hitting 45 - 60 goals a year. Jesus, the pressure we put on players for no good reason!

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 10:09pm

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

Spot on B.M

Don't trade our best forward ( at present).
We all want King to be unreal, but he has never played a single game. He needs at least 2-3 seasons to start hitting 45 - 60 goals a year. Jesus, the pressure we put on players for no good reason!
From a different angle...

How do we get the genuine mids in and skilled runni g back that we need to improve?

We may get Hill for our pick 5.

That leaves us a skilled mid and skilled running back short of being remotely good.

How do get them?

To the top
SS Life Member

22 players make up a side

What did Judd deliver to Carlton - noting Carlton traded Kennedy (a forward!) to West Coast to secure Judd?

Lockett had Harvey and Winmar - so when they had the ball they had a forward target

Be careful what you ask for - on both sides of the equation

Incidentally, are Bruce, Acres, Carlisle and Steven (being the players certain on here view as surplus to requirements) at the B&F function?

Or have they got the message already and left the room?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not by robbing Peter to pay Paul

What’s the good of having a midfield with nothing to kick the ball to... key pillars are as important, if not more important than midfielders... that’s why they get the big bucks and teams want them... most teams have good Mids
Less have good power forwards!

Bruce is not great, but he’s a power forward and they don’t grow on trees... 6ft Mids do?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And 1.5 goals

That’s a total career average

Bruce played his first 20 odd games as a defender

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 11:13pm Not by robbing Peter to pay Paul

What’s the good of having a midfield with nothing to kick the ball to... key pillars are as important, if not more important than midfielders... that’s why they get the big bucks and teams want them... most teams have good Mids
Less have good power forwards!

Bruce is not great, but he’s a power forward and they don’t grow on trees... 6ft Mids do?
Who are you talking to?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 11:15pm And 1.5 goals

That’s a total career average

Bruce played his first 20 odd games as a defender
It's his 2019 average.