UPDATE- Sam McClure as well as CH7 reporting that Ryder will join StKilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

Re: UPDATE- Sam McClure as well as CH7 reporting that Ryder will join StKilda

Ryder is more likely than not.

To save everyone's fears, we are definitely getting another ruck. Maybe a 3rd.

We simply can't expect Marshall to play sole ruck in every single game next year. It will break the kid.

😎
The Barometer
Club Player

Re: CH7 reporting that Ryder will join StKilda

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 1:30pm After it turns out a mistake, it’ll be ok to bag out those responsible. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Challenge the decision now, and you get abused.

I would be surprised if Ryder turns out to even be effective, but would gladly eat humble pie. Don’t see it happening though, he is not even a good fit.
So who is available that you would recruit at below average wage for a token draft pick to back up Marshall?
Why is Ryder not a good fit?

The Barometer
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 1:30pm After it turns out a mistake, it’ll be ok to bag out those responsible. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would be surprised if Ryder turns out to even be effective, but would gladly eat humble pie. Don’t see it happening though, he is not even a good fit.
So who is available that you would recruit at below average wage for a token draft pick to back up Marshall?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He did it this year, as did Goldstein, Gawn, Grundy, O’Brien, Martin, McEvoy, English

He’s not a kid, he’ll be 24 next year and fitter, stronger, smarter.

Yes, a back up is needed, in case of injury... but unless he gets injured, Marshall should play 80% Ruck, where he finished second in the b&f and got Brownlow votes.

2nd Ruck, I could care if Jack Lonie or Jade Gresham did it, as long as we had a very competent forward, and 4 midfielders/midsize players on the bench for rotations.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:23pm

Good post Barometer.

This poster has repeatedly stated that Ryder would be the worst trade since 2009 / Lovett.

The comparison Is beyond me but clearly driven by a deep hatred of Ryder for some unknown reason.

The language of ‘not a good fit’ is just another way to position it.

I very much disagree.

Pundit
Club Player

Ryder will be a backup ruckman so who does it matter who it is that comes to the club to fill the postion. If you're a kid giraffe playing at junior level right now I'd think twice about being pigeonholed into the ruck postion unless you are exceptionally brilliant at playing like a midfielder because the days of two rucks are so yesterday. What this means now is there are half the postions available on AFL lists for the no.1 ruck which makes it even harder than it ever has been to crack into the AFL.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lovett cost us pick 16. Ryder may cost us pick 61.

I think Marto loves a little sook here and there so if Ryder is a dud he can point back to his post on this thread.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 2:54am
The Barometer wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:23pm

Good post Barometer.

This poster has repeatedly stated that Ryder would be the worst trade since 2009 / Lovett.

The comparison Is beyond me but clearly driven by a deep hatred of Ryder for some unknown reason.

The language of ‘not a good fit’ is just another way to position it.

I very much disagree.
Not sure how you draw the conclusion that it is a hatred of Ryder.
Many on here think it is a bad footballing decision.
Let's try keep the emotive language and provocation to a minimum.

Nee!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Spinner,

You should quote when you make a claim. I would like to see where I said Ryder would be the worst trade since Lovett?

BTW
I went against the majority in 2009 when Lovett was recruited, and was howled down then, as it turned out it was a big mistake.

You really do love to go after me in every thread, as someone mentioned, try to keep the emotive language out of it, it’s becoming boring.

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

ITS OFFICIAL. RYDER NOMINATES SAINTS AND TURNS BACK ON BOMBERS!

Whatever your thoughts, let's welcome Paddy with open arms. I reckon he will help Marshall greatly.

😎
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

johnnyrayflamingo wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 11:45am ITS OFFICIAL. RYDER NOMINATES SAINTS AND TURNS BACK ON BOMBERS!

Whatever your thoughts, let's welcome Paddy with open arms. I reckon he will help Marshall greatly.
Fair call. Even though I think it is a mistake. When Paddy comes, he will be welcomed and supported.

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

From what I’m hearing from people ITK is that it’s s done deal.

You’re welcome.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Finally...

...have no real bias either way, but with his recent injury record, and Marshall functioning well in a 1 ruck team, unless we're considering a new structure and game plan I can't see him playing much footy. Anyways, I hope goes as well for us as he usually does against us.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 12:55pm
johnnyrayflamingo wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 11:45am ITS OFFICIAL. RYDER NOMINATES SAINTS AND TURNS BACK ON BOMBERS!

Fair call. Even though I think it is a mistake. When Paddy comes, he will be welcomed and supported.
Based on info from the other thread, it's possible that getting Ryder played a big part in Hill agreeing to come.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I know Ryder is old and past his best BUT...

When was the last time we’ve landed TWO big name players in ONE trade period?

That in itself is a huge win for us - maybe more will follow given how early it still is in the whole process

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It'll be fuckn hilarious if we get Ryder and he struggles with injury and if we also trade out Bruce. Whose going to give RoMa a chop out?

We better retain Acres just in case. Poor Blake. Wants to get a fair crack as a pure mid but circumstances will probably be against him

I'd rather we tried recruiting a young ruckman but fingers crossed that Paddy stays fit and we don't get another 'Hannas' type scenario

derby Street
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 3:34pm It'll be fuckn hilarious if we get Ryder and he struggles with injury and if we also trade out Bruce. Whose going to give RoMa a chop out?

We better retain Acres just in case. Poor Blake. Wants to get a fair crack as a pure mid but circumstances will probably be against him

I'd rather we tried recruiting a young ruckman but fingers crossed that Paddy stays fit and we don't get another 'Hannas' type scenario
Didn't Bruce struggle with injuries?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bruce played more games than Paddy in 2019 didn't he?

Josh was in the votes for a few games this year. I think if Paddy can produce like he did on 2017 he'll be a great pick up, but we also thought the same thing about Hannas

In all likelihood, Bruce will probably play more games and have more impact than Paddy for the duration of Ryder's contract

derby Street
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 3:45pm Bruce played more games than Paddy in 2019 didn't he?

Josh was in the votes for a few games this year. I think if Paddy can produce like he did on 2017 he'll be a great pick up, but we also thought the same thing about Hannas

In all likelihood, Bruce will probably play more games and have more impact than Paddy for the duration of Ryder's contract
McCartin or Ryder? :D

I was just trying to say that at any given time every player is an injury away from not playing much. BTW I think you are right about Bruce vs Ryder but that's not really the argument.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 3:45pm Bruce played more games than Paddy in 2019 didn't he?

Getting rid of The Bruce is not a sensible move unless we get a top player in return.

I’m hoping Gubby & the ex banker know what they’re doing!

The Barometer
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:29pm He did it this year, as did Goldstein, Gawn, Grundy, O’Brien, Martin, McEvoy, English

He’s not a kid, he’ll be 24 next year and fitter, stronger, smarter.

Yes, a back up is needed, in case of injury... but unless he gets injured, Marshall should play 80% Ruck, where he finished second in the b&f and got Brownlow votes.

2nd Ruck, I could care if Jack Lonie or Jade Gresham did it, as long as we had a very competent forward, and 4 midfielders/midsize players on the bench for rotations.
Assume part of this is in response to me? Hard to tell if you don’t quote.
You didn’t answer the questions.
Who do you think we should pick up for a bargain instead of Ryder? Why isn’t Ryder a good fit?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 1:17pm Finally...

...have no real bias either way, but with his recent injury record, and Marshall functioning well in a 1 ruck team, unless we're considering a new structure and game plan I can't see him playing much footy. Anyways, I hope goes as well for us as he usually does against us.
Told you a week ago, but you said it was not so.
It is so.
Welcome Paddy!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 11:23pm
degruch wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 1:17pm Finally...

Told you a week ago, but you said it was not so.
It is so.
Welcome Paddy!
That's because a week ago it was not so. :lol:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

And given the expected value attached to these trades and the contract / money one would expect Bruce to have a greater impact than Ryder.

Ryder’s costing about half in terms of salary and draft pick than Bruce. Different types of players / main positions though so disregarding that.

Pundit
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 25 Sep 2019 5:12pm

Getting rid of The Bruce is not a sensible move unless we get a top player in return.

I’m hoping Gubby & the ex banker know what they’re doing!
Just not a sensible move full stop. He's a significant structural player and unless they are trading like-for-like then what's the point.