Gold coast draft package

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold coast draft package

the 1 point win and 4 point win over GC has proved costly

Suns would/should not have got a handout

= last with dees

that is why it so reactionary giving them such a big handout

saint4life
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 3:18pm Ok I see this differently.

Draft picks are no longer attractive to GCS, as they have plenty. What they need now are mature players to help their draftees that come in for the next 3-5 years.

Puts Ben King for 3 or 4 mature players back in the table for us in THIS draft. Or 2 mature players plus our first rounder for the next draft where they may seek an extra one.
I reckon Gold Coast, if smart, will trade most of those picks for experienced players. If not, they won't keep half of the players they draft.

This indeed creates an opportunity for us to get some picks to trade with or perhaps secure Ben King.

saint6709
Club Player

Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:55pm
saint6709 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:46pm
Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:29pm
Kilda wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 6:55pm It’s obscene giving them (again) priority picks and Darwin as their recruitment zone. It reeks of the AFL desperate to see them justify their expansionist dreams. Level playing field? Sigh.
This absolutely helps to have a level playing field. No other club gets raided more than the GC and if this is what is needed to get them going then so be it. If we start drafting well and still struggle then we can whinge.
How about the fact that we ( a bit like north melbourne ) cant recruit via trade or free agency any big name players ?? We are seen as crap - they want to go Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood etc - Even Carlton are seen as much more a desirable destination than us as are Essendon who a few years ago where injecting their players with a heap of stuff that they say they don't know what it was !!

If the Afl want to manipulate an even comp they need to do more than prop up the gold coast and we are the next basket case in line in my opinion - so if they don't want to help us as well - because we need help !- I am not going to acknowledge their good work for trying to keep a level playing field
Players don't want to come to us because we are currently *@t, not based on geographic location. We start winning (which drafting well will help) then they will come....I'm not sure the same would apply to GC.

If we are next in line as you say then the help will come as it has in the past.

For me, Geelong not getting a home final when they have earned it is a much bigger issue re: equal playing field.
Your point is my point - players don't want to come to us because we are sh#t - i think that is the whole point - GC are getting a leg up because they are sh#t -

In terms of the geography i would say the GC could be a very nice place to live - a new modern city on a surf beach with good weather and cheaper housing options - what is not to like for a young person earning good money ?

Regarding geelong - who cares ? - i can understand people wanting to make considered and inclusive posts having acknowledged and thought about the big picture - but sometimes we cant see the forest for the trees - the saints are needing as much consideration as any team out there atm and if other teams think they are also deserving of some acknowledgement, as a saints fan i say 'get in line'

Saintmania
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:06pm
Kilda wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 6:55pm It’s obscene giving them (again) priority picks and Darwin as their recruitment zone. It reeks of the AFL desperate to see them justify their expansionist dreams. Level playing field? Sigh.
This absolutely helps to have a level playing field. No other club gets raided more than the GC and if this is what is needed to get them going then so be it. If we start drafting well and still struggle then we can whinge.
Gold Coast Delisting Jarryd Lyons.............a player they should have kept....played super for lions after they picked him up this year

they delist then get a hand out........

As mentioned in a number of posts in this thread not just by me..........a crap decision by afl

Yep, he's been a good pickup for the lions after they recognised something in him that aligned with what they wanted. He essentially asked to be delisted after the lions came calling though so even he forced their hand a little.

How many other delisted GC players have contributed significantly for another team? How about the players they've lost due to the go home factor? It wouldn't even be close.

To the top
SS Life Member

Once again, as with everything the AFL touches it seems, there is compromise depreciating the “equalisation” objective

Then we get to the Cartel Clubs which dictate at the AFL Board Table in their own interests

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:26pm
chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:06pm
Gold Coast Delisting Jarryd Lyons.............a player they should have kept....played super for lions after they picked him up this year

they delist then get a hand out........

As mentioned in a number of posts in this thread not just by me..........a crap decision by afl

Yep, he's been a good pickup for the lions after they recognised something in him that aligned with what they wanted. He essentially asked to be delisted after the lions came calling though so even he forced their hand a little.

How many other delisted GC players have contributed significantly for another team? How about the players they've lost due to the go home factor? It wouldn't even be close.
If you are that happy about their handout change your nic to sunmania and support them....

I am sticking up for my club.....

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Along with a suite of extra draft picks, including the No.1 selection this year, the Suns will also have new academy rights and priority access to Darwin talent.

They will also be able to pre-sign Academy players without having to match rival clubs' potential bids for the next three years – starting in 2019 – although the AFL will review this annually.

Alex Davies, a smooth-moving 189cm midfielder drawing Pendlebury comparisons, projects as a first-round pick next year.

However, these new circumstances mean Gold Coast will score him for nothing.

Also keep the handout draft picks

It is too much and it stinks
Last edited by chook23 on Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

saint4life
Saintmania
Club Player

saint6709 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:22pm
Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:55pm
saint6709 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:46pm
How about the fact that we ( a bit like north melbourne ) cant recruit via trade or free agency any big name players ?? We are seen as crap - they want to go Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood etc - Even Carlton are seen as much more a desirable destination than us as are Essendon who a few years ago where injecting their players with a heap of stuff that they say they don't know what it was !!

If the Afl want to manipulate an even comp they need to do more than prop up the gold coast and we are the next basket case in line in my opinion - so if they don't want to help us as well - because we need help !- I am not going to acknowledge their good work for trying to keep a level playing field
Players don't want to come to us because we are currently *@t, not based on geographic location. We start winning (which drafting well will help) then they will come....I'm not sure the same would apply to GC.

If we are next in line as you say then the help will come as it has in the past.

For me, Geelong not getting a home final when they have earned it is a much bigger issue re: equal playing field.
[/quote

In terms of the geography i would say the GC could be a very nice place to live - a new modern city on a surf beach with good weather and cheaper housing options - what is not to like for a young person earning good money ?
Fine for a young person unless you're an AFL footballer. Most of these guys want the spotlight and it certainly doesn't shine on the GC.
Last edited by Saintmania on Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmania
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:32pm Along with a suite of extra draft picks, including the No.1 selection this year, the Suns will also have new academy rights and priority access to Darwin talent.

They will also be able to pre-sign Academy players without having to match rival clubs' potential bids for the next three years – starting in 2019 – although the AFL will review this annually.

Alex Davies, a smooth-moving 189cm midfielder drawing Pendlebury comparisons, projects as a first-round pick next year.

Good, they need it. We will just need to pick the best available player when it's our turn.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:53pm
chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:32pm Along with a suite of extra draft picks, including the No.1 selection this year, the Suns will also have new academy rights and priority access to Darwin talent.

Good, they need it. We will just need to pick the best available player when it's our turn.
That is the problem our turn getting pushed back........

they do not have to improve much to be beating us and others....

their concessions are just too much

saint4life
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Draft compromises and free agency beasicly locking in the same top 8, ridiculous

Saintmania
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:05pm
Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 8:53pm

That is the problem our turn getting pushed back........
I get your point but just don't think our lot is made significantly worse by falling a pick or two down the draft order. We can still find talent who will likely stick around unlike the GC.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:11pm Draft compromises and free agency beasicly locking in the same top 8, ridiculous
Yep

Tom Lynch to Richmond after 2017 flag ........Premiers got him for nothing under the rules.....

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

How anyone can argue the Suns are garbage, have been raided for talent and deserve this ludicrous leg up, and not note that we have been garbage for pretty much the same period, would have killed for access to the talent they've thrown away, but don't deserve the same treatment, is completely beyond me. We haven't even asked for help, let alone demand #1 pick in the draft FFS!

How many top 10 picks do they have on the field at any one time? Who gave them $2mil to waste on a code hopping party boy who couldn't kick over a jam lid? How many contracted players have they offloaded for less than their market value and who signed off on it? Who fostered the lousy god botherer/coke snorting culture that saw 20-something year old blokes fleeing the club in their droves? Were they forced to China at gunpoint too? Then remind me how much did we belt their hapless team by this year? :roll: Watching the draft night banter of their recruiting staff gives me absolutely zero confidence they won't just continue to stuff it up, as they don't seem to know what hard work and clever management is.

Oh well, brace yourselves, we just have to grin and bear it for the next decade. Surely they can't pull the same stunt on us 3 times?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t hear much whinging in here when we were the beneficiary of priority picks in 2001 that gifted us Kossi along with Roo and in the 2001 super draft that netted us Clarke.

Yes they were the rules at the time, rules that encouraged tanking.

If we were given a priority pick fir being crap for the last eight years would there be outcry?

Richmond didn’t build their list with priority picks

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:28pm Didn’t hear much whinging in here when we were the beneficiary of priority picks in 2001 that gifted us Kossi along with Roo and in the 2001 super draft that netted us Clarke.

If we were given a priority pick fir being crap for the last eight years would there be outcry?

They dropped that concept because of the rorting, which was a good idea. So why ditch the systematic approach and selectively bring it back?

Who would have whinged? Do you think Gold Coast supporters are upset right now? Weird point.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:33pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:28pm Didn’t hear much whinging in here when we were the beneficiary of priority picks in 2001 that gifted us Kossi along with Roo and in the 2001 super draft that netted us Clarke.

They dropped that concept because of the rorting, which was a good idea. So why ditch the systematic approach and selectively bring it back?

Who would have whinged? Do you think Gold Coast supporters are upset right now? Weird point.
Personally I think the biggest factor in the priority pick was the Tom Lynch & Steven May decisions to depart.

Things are dire when the co-captains leave the club.

On the GC supporters I actually think you are supporting my point, we only whine when others are the beneficiary.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

It is the amount of picks they are getting and free picks of academy players....it is too much

a few of their best players (tigers) were picked up in less impacted/diluted drafts

the inconsistent rules and concessions each year make it a farce

saint4life
Saintmania
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:37pm

Personally I think the biggest factor in the priority pick was the Tom Lynch & Steven May decisions to depart.

On the GC supporters I actually think you are supporting my point, we only whine when others are the beneficiary.
The one thing I'd say is that GC did not help themself going forward by failing to match the contract for Lynch then forcing him to the draft if he chose not to play. Clubs seem unwilling to do this.
Last edited by Saintmania on Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

I think GC dropped off /tanked in the 2nd half of this year.....to support their upcoming request for a handout...

Have a look at their performances

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch had one foot out the door for a couple seasons, and May would have been encouraged to leave had Lynch not gone, on form and lack of leadership alone...offering them the positions in the first place looked a lot like a carrot on the end of the stick to me. Weak management.

BTW, I've heard priority picks mentioned numerous times in recent years in relation to the Saints, with most supporter and even the club, protesting we don't need them. The Bulldogs lost their Captain, coach, major sponsor and just about every cent they had (on Boyd) in 2014 and we didn't hear a squeak out of them re: assistance...and that's unusual for them. I think the AFL are fostering a sense of entitlement at the Suns, which will be their inevitable undoing.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:48pm

Tom Lynch had one foot out the door for a couple seasons, and May would have been encouraged to leave had Lynch not gone, on form and lack of leadership alone...offering them the positions in the first place looked a lot like a carrot on the end of the stick to me. Weak management.

BTW, I've heard priority picks mentioned numerous times in recent years in relation to the Saints, with most supporter and even the club, protesting we don't need them. The Bulldogs lost their Captain, coach, major sponsor and just about every cent they had (on Boyd) in 2014 and we didn't hear a squeak out of them re: assistance...and that's unusual for them. I think the AFL are fostering a sense of entitlement at the Suns, which will be their inevitable undoing.
I agree with you on Lynch and May but not about the inevitable undoing.

As written previously I live between Gold Coast, Homebush and Vic.

GC have a longer future than GWS IMO.

I am in Western Sydney almost weekly and do not come across any AFL clubs or school programs. The locals are only interested in League.

What happens when GWS slide?

On the GC the junior program is flourishing and schools are playing AFL, even APS has an AFL comp. With the zones and academy they will be successful long term if managed reasonably well.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah they did.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018 ... ority-pick

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I reckon that GWS has had more raided players but they're not a basket case.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

F#ck the Gold Coast

Shouldn't even exist, like GWS, could never survive in the wild.
Totally synthetic commodity robbing the real footy states of their playing talent.
What a slap in the face to all the traditional clubs who are struggling .

Nee!