Bruce Requests trade to Dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bruce Requests trade to Dogs

He's just a "look at me" person

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:36pm
B.M wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 4:21pm
I don’t trust a damn thing the club does, haven’t done since they walked out on the Tassie deal (which every person on SS thought was the correct decision)
Making up stuff again I see. Not everyone who was on Saintsational back then was in favour of Thomas pulling the Saints out of Tassie.

The majority backed the coach (as it was Thomas who did not like playing there), but to state that everyone did is just plain wrong.
I think I was one who wanted out, we never won there.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

WTF difference would Tassie make to where we're at now?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:33pm WTF difference would Tassie make to where we're at now?
A million a year for playing a couple of games? No China, no debt?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:33pm WTF difference would Tassie make to where we're at now?
We weren't getting $1m per year were we?

North aren't getting that are they?

And besides, what has being in Tassie done for North? f*** all.

Personnally, I couldn't care less where we play. China, Gold Coast, NZ, Tassie, Ballarat, Townsville, Darwin, Docklands - who cares?

But thinking we'd be any better or worse on-field if we played games in Tassie is just nonsense.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:44pm
gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:34pm
We weren't getting $1m per year were we?

North aren't getting that are they?

And besides, what has being in Tassie done for North? f*** all.

Personnally, I couldn't care less where we play. China, Gold Coast, NZ, Tassie, Ballarat, Townsville, Darwin, Docklands - who cares?

But thinking we'd be any better or worse on-field if we played games in Tassie is just nonsense.
We'd be s*** anywhere ATM but possibly richer. Not sure what they get for Tassie but it was significant.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:47pm

We'd be s*** anywhere ATM but possibly richer. Not sure what they get for Tassie but it was significant.
So what's the difference between China and Tassie then?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:53pm

Travel, food poisoning, climactic adjustment, huge logistical difference, distance, costs. China gets us better sponsorship opportunity though.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

easy way to get out of china is for the club to publicly call on china to release the uyghurs and compensate them.
wont want a bar off us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:14pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:53pm

Travel, food poisoning, climactic adjustment, huge logistical difference, distance, costs. China gets us better sponsorship opportunity though.
Let's be honest - the club only has itself to blame with this China BS. We never beat Port, and they often just get over the line against us. This is aided and abetted by the fact that we very rarely play them here. The club also had to know that our record with these types of fixtures, New Zealand, Tasmania, the Good Friday match, have all been resounding failures which have embarrassed team, club, members and supporters. The club had to know that playing a team we can never beat overseas was going to end badly. When I heard on the radio on the morning of the game that one of the teams had had several members come down with food poisoning I knew it was us, because we are extremely poor at preparing for important matches. The whole setup reeked of amateurism, absolutely stank of it, and now that the coach has gone, along with several others, I would think that the team manager would have to have his position looked at.

Next year we could easily lose this game by more than 100 points given the likelihood of an even younger, more inexperienced side taking the field in 2020 and given our completely incompetent approach to any match we have to fly across water to play.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:30pm
I don’t trust a damn thing the club does, haven’t done since they walked out on the Tassie deal (which every person on SS thought was the correct decision)
Making up stuff again I see. Not everyone who was on Saintsational back then was in favour of Thomas pulling the Saints out of Tassie.

The majority backed the coach (as it was Thomas who did not like playing there), but to state that everyone did is just plain wrong.

I supported the coach at the time. Most did, but many didn't.

Part of the reason we had a poor record there though radiated down from the coach as GT just did not want to play there. In the end though this was why GT had to go as he put himself before the club.

His anywhere, anytime mantra had a caveat in Tasmania.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:45pm
gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:30pm

I supported the coach at the time. Most did, but many didn't.

Part of the reason we had a poor record there though radiated down from the coach as GT just did not want to play there. In the end though this was why GT had to go as he put himself before the club.

His anywhere, anytime mantra had a caveat in Tasmania.
I’m a big GT fan and think he’s way underrated here but one simply can not argue with this type of thinking being a big part of his downfall.

Imagine if we toughed it out and learned how to win at Tassie... reckon the conditions in the 09 GF would have suited us to a tee

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The good thing about travelling every now and then and playing in a neutral city or town (be it Alice Springs, Darwin, Launceston, Hobart or even Cairns or Townsville ) is that the team learns to adapt and get used to the routine of playing outside your home base.

North and the Hawks had strong leadership and a board that thought about the long term. These days they treat Tassie games as if they have the genuine home ground advantage and most opposition clubs hate playing there.

I think teams from interstate also have a similar advantage with the routine of regular travel but they also benefit from their genuine home ground advantage.

The other teams who I am envious of are the smart ones who made sure they nominated the MCG as their home ground. Is it any coincidence that Hawks, Collingwood, and Richmond have done so well?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:45am
tony74 wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 6:54am FYI. Josh was not one of the more popular members of the playing group. I’m sorry I’m not going to further expand on that but just trying to give you some reason for his movement.
With respect and I understand that you have some “ credibility “ on this site , but this post is disgraceful

What you have done is come on here and slandered a much loved (by supporters ) saint, without supplying a hint of information just innuendo.

In many workplaces you would be the one considered toxic for spreading gossip and rumour.

It also screams of “look at me “ I am in the “know” and you are not.

If I ran the club and knew that you had said this it would be you out the door.

Fqf
+1

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

but if Tony is right wouldn't it be good for us to know this rather than not ?
any sort of inside info is what we are all here for....don't shoot the messenger.

barneyboyz
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 10:40am but if Tony is right wouldn't it be good for us to know this rather than not ?
any sort of inside info is what we are all here for....don't shoot the messenger.
+1

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Barry,

If you think leaving Tassie (and you’ve got the benefit of hindsight) was a good idea, put simply, you have no idea. I understand that short sighted members like p66 thinking it was a good idea to leave at the time, because we could only win indoor, but you have seen Hawthorn flourish down there, and the reality is, that should have been StK.

It’s cost us massively financially and at least 10 000 Tassie Members.

Hawthorn are now the #1 supported team by a mile, when it was St Kilda easily.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I am a Victorian Tasmanian and argued black and blue about the decision to leave Tas

I was even ridiculed by most of SS, admittedly back then it was a pretty different crew, headed by p66.

I received zero support at the time, and don’t remember anyone joining me to argue the fact that leaving Tassie was short sighted and weak.

The argument was

We will win more games, as we couldn’t beat The Power there, and that selfish vic members would get to see another few games

My counter argument was
We needed to learn to win anywhere to be considered a contender and what about the thousands of Tassie supporters that don’t ever get to see there beloved saints.
Plus the money and membership benefits... which the club turned its back on because at the time we were pretty successful, but alas not ultimately successful.

We went there we we needed Tas for a leg up, and left as soon as it didn’t suit us.

Typically piss poor

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Back to Bruce

Who takes his place as a 6’5” 100kg Forward with massive work rate in 2020?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 11:17am Back to Bruce

Who takes his place as a 6’5” 100kg Forward with massive work rate in 2020?
Probably Marshall or Battle or someone else, I'll let you know after the trade period.

Let's face it, this time last year we had no idea Marshall could actually ruck. He's a terrific ball winning ruck, who can say he won't be a more impressive CHF?

I cannot believe how good Bruce has suddenly become. We cannot rate all our players this highly and still be a bottom 6 side, expecting to trade only who we don't rate.

How would you improve our list? I know you wanted a 2000 / 2001 clean out so you know we have a poor list, it is just sad we don't have the same currency or attraction as back then.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

When the doggies beat us twice next year by a total of 20 old points with Bruce kicking bags of 4 goals in both matches, I will be on here saying " I told you so."

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 11:46am When the doggies beat us twice next year by a total of 20 old points with Bruce kicking bags of 4 goals in both matches, I will be on here saying " I told you so."
That's fine Saynta and if he doesn't? Will you be disappointed?

Again, how do we improve our list without changing things? We can't. We have one pick inside the first 50. We have to let go of some players that offer value to other clubs and players we think we can cover in the short term.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm fine to let Bruce go if we can secure something about 15-18, which is about his value.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 11:15am I am a Victorian Tasmanian and argued black and blue about the decision to leave Tas

I was even ridiculed by most of SS, admittedly back then it was a pretty different crew, headed by p66.

I received zero support at the time, and don’t remember anyone joining me to argue the fact that leaving Tassie was short sighted and weak.

The argument was

We will win more games, as we couldn’t beat The Power there, and that selfish vic members would get to see another few games

My counter argument was
We needed to learn to win anywhere to be considered a contender and what about the thousands of Tassie supporters that don’t ever get to see there beloved saints.
Plus the money and membership benefits... which the club turned its back on because at the time we were pretty successful, but alas not ultimately successful.

We went there we we needed Tas for a leg up, and left as soon as it didn’t suit us.

Typically piss poor
Fair call. We all have the great Grant Thomas to thank for that wonderful little piece of short-termism. He couldn't wait to get out of Launceston quick enough.

Go you red, black & white warriors