Plenty of changes still to come

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plenty of changes still to come

SMS wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 1:07am Gresham and what? next years first for BKing?

Mmmm. Not sure about this one.

If we dont see gresham as a midfielder then yes.
We have Gray, Parker, Kent and Long to be small (larger) forwards.

Ben King is the next Carey. GET HIM IN!!!

carlisle and gresham for king - DO IT!

Speaking of small forwards. Why on earth are we chasing Gray? Are Parker, Kent, Long and Gresham not enough? Why add another GOP small forward when we are crying out for quality mids?

SMS
Club Player

Gray is an upgrade
Lonie is fantastic ... if it was u/15s. he is too small cant kick 40m and gets smashed too easily.
SGray would be fantastic.
Frees up us to get currency for lonie/gresh

I like it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would reckon that Lethlean, Ratts and co would be going after players to get a specific type of team happening, not just grabbing anyone who is out there and looking for another club. We haven't played finals for years because our list is not up to it and recruiting has been ordinary.. not to mention one-dimensional coaching.

Some radical trading will be done, but I feel the current leadership in the football dept now has a good handle on what kind of player we need to break our of 6 years of low achievement.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Whitfield

#1 Ryder fan
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Kent isn't good enough thus far
Parker is patchy
Gresham good, but a prince?
Loniie limited?

Gray is class and will set the bar.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 9:38amWhitfield
Whitfield was very gettable after his "incident" and we had two by first rounders to play with, but we told his management we were not interested in the lad from Mt Martha via Peninsula Grammar. (Source, a family member).

What has changed now?
Is it free agency status & cash?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 9:41am Kent isn't good enough thus far - agree, and never will be
Parker is patchy - and inexperienced at that level, could make it as he has some good qualities like speed and aggression
Gresham good, but a prince? - very good high half forward rotating through square for clearances IMO, not a true mid.
Lonie limited? Yes, but better than Kent, Young & Hind at this point in time.

Gray is class and will set the bar. - I think you overrate Sam, more Lonie than Robbie Gray in my opinion.
Some fair points IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 4:06am 5 for King should be enough -- he can't be worth any more than what they paid for him in the first place.
Leave Carlisle out of it!
Having won the half time sprint he might command a little more. 5 + Newnes?
Value aside the bigger picture is the GC can't afford to keep losing top 10 draft talent and the AFL has proven they will support GC in securing and retaining talent with the measures announced yesterday.

I think the AFL would love to see the King brothers reunited but I'll bet (only my opinion) they'd rather it be up north than in Melbournes Bayside.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 9:41am Kent isn't good enough thus far
Parker is patchy
Gresham good, but a prince?
Loniie limited?

Gray is class and will set the bar.
I haven’t seen him play, but in what way is he an upgrade? Why is he any better than any of the other small forwards we’ve cycled through in the last few years? Am wondering why he’s not required at Port?
We’ve had so many GOP small forwards and back flankers - are we going down the same path again thinking there will be a different outcome?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 9:57am
avid wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 4:06am 5 for King should be enough -- he can't be worth any more than what they paid for him in the first place.
Leave Carlisle out of it!
Having won the half time sprint he might command a little more. 5 + Newnes?
Value aside the bigger picture is the GC can't afford to keep losing top 10 draft talent and the AFL has proven they will support GC in securing and retaining talent with the measures announced yesterday.

I think the AFL would love to see the King brothers reunited but I'll bet (only my opinion) they'd rather it be up north than in Melbournes Bayside.
I agree Joffa which is why this trade period could be our best chance to secure Ben. I would think that what comes with these handouts to GC is also some instructions / directions. I think GC will be told to have a blend of experienced players traded in for some of these picks and best young draft talent.

It was possibly used to sell it to the power clubs that should they release experienced (surplus) players they will receive high end draft picks. Something needed to be sold to have this rubber stamped without too much overt angst.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sam Gray is average at best.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 11:21am I think GC will be told to have a blend of experienced players traded in for some of these picks and best young draft talent.
Not sure about that. The problem is not GC not being willing to trade in good players, it good players being willing to be traded to GC.

GC this period look to already have picked up Ellis (FA) and Greenwood. I am sure that they are also already trying to attract others. Burgoyne almost chose them.

GC have been willing to bring in players from other clubs and have done so (ie Weller, Witts etc). They are already willing to trade picks for players. Trouble has been bringing in enough, and getting quality ones.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Kilda
Club Player

I think it’s pretty unlikely we’ll snare Ben King to Moorabbin in the coming trade period. The bigger concern is that the Suns might try to lure Max up north.

Let Ben see out his second and final year of his contract (as per his mother’s wishes) and then launch an all-out attack to get Ben to Linton St. These twins could be the club’s chance of a lifetime. You can build a squad around them.

The club needs to be fully committed to this goal. We simply can’t afford to stuff this up.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Kilda wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 8:50pm I think it’s pretty unlikely we’ll snare Ben King to Moorabbin in the coming trade period. The bigger concern is that the Suns might try to lure Max up north.

Let Ben see out his second and final year of his contract (as per his mother’s wishes) and then launch an all-out attack to get Ben to Linton St. These twins could be the club’s chance of a lifetime. You can build a squad around them.

The club needs to be fully committed to this goal. We simply can’t afford to stuff this up.
Well we will have to tank next year, so we’ve got a decent 1st round pick because I can’t see them accepting anything over pick 6 for BK

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 9:54pm
Kilda wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 8:50pm I think it’s pretty unlikely we’ll snare Ben King to Moorabbin in the coming trade period. The bigger concern is that the Suns might try to lure Max up north.

Well we will have to tank next year, so we’ve got a decent 1st round pick because I can’t see them accepting anything over pick 6 for BK
I think the club expects to finish bottom 4 next year but think we will play finals in 2021. Not sure how we get a bottom 4 club firing for finals so quickly but some ITKs have suggested that's the plan. We have a pretty poor list and are probably a few key injuries off the Gold Coast in quality without Bruce and Steven.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Max could be traded to GC for sure.

For pick one or two. Seriously that could work.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
longtimesaint
Club Player

bigred wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 12:57pm Max could be traded to GC for sure.

For pick one or two. Seriously that could work.
Only in a very unpleasant nightmare!

One year will be our year
saintbob
SS Life Member

Just keep throwing players at them and get it done this year.
Pick 6 + Carlisle, Newnes and McKenzie

longtimesaint
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 6:29pm Just keep throwing players at them and get it done this year.
Let’s throw in Rats and the president too!

One year will be our year
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully still a few of the off-field coaching support and line coaching positions change too!
Still too many there who have been there for too long doing too little.
The poor effort in round 23 being a carbon copy of all of our matches against the Swans since 2013 means that a lot of our assistants have become too comfortable and personnel desperately need to be turned over. We won't improve otherwise.
Disgraceful exhibition.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if suns can hold lukiosus and rankine, keep king, add rowell and anderson, it may convince max that northwards is where a finals chance beckons loudest.
could build another gws with their concessions. all other things being equal they have a brighter future than us. get mum and dad to semi retire up north. lovely lifestyle. less media pressure on the kids.
that's what i'd be building - a family club that helps relocate parents to find housing/employment and sell the more relaxed lifestyle, the weather, the beaches, etc.

of course this is the suns so likely everyone will leave in the next few years and ben will be plying his trade at the saints.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintbob
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 6:32pm
saintbob wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 6:29pm Just keep throwing players at them and get it done this year.
Let’s throw in Rats and the president too!
Rats will be very good, where as the last 2 mentioned above have clogged our list for long enough.
Carlisle is a risky trade because IF he gets his body right he’ll be very good player for them, but I’d be happy to roll the dice.

As for the Prez, I’m happy to give him another 2yrs.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 8:13pm if suns can hold lukiosus and rankine, keep king, add rowell and anderson, it may convince max that northwards is where a finals chance beckons loudest.
could build another gws with their concessions. all other things being equal they have a brighter future than us. get mum and dad to semi retire up north. lovely lifestyle. less media pressure on the kids.
that's what i'd be building - a family club that helps relocate parents to find housing/employment and sell the more relaxed lifestyle, the weather, the beaches, etc.

of course this is the suns so likely everyone will leave in the next few years and ben will be plying his trade at the saints.
This has been pretty much the outlook at the Suns since inception, yet they've continued to c**k it up...and now get a massive reward! :x With Greenwood and Ellis on the way, Zac Smith probably heading back, and trade period not even started, it seems they're got some more handy recruits heading North again this year.

I might be cynical, and I don't necessarily want to see it, but I find Max going North a far more likely scenario than Ben coming back. But I can't see either move happening for 2020 regardless.