What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

fugazi wrote:As much as I love and respect Jack Steven,he has been well paid for his time with us and has to accept that he has a contract and Geelong either pay up or no deal.
Also, maybe someone should demonstrate to Jack that Torquay is not an insurmountable distance from Moorabin.
Is it Torquay or Lorne?

1ac46a38
Rubyjo
Club Player

Footballers.. Overly paid.. Yeah they have problems like all of us.. See ya Jack we owe you nothing we gave you millions.. Go spend it on your fam..

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I actually think he owes us a bit

On a massive salary to play footy, we afforded him almost a season off to deal with his issues. What thanks do we get... a trade to Geelong for pick 52.

saint-stu
Club Player

B.M wrote:I actually think he owes us a bit

On a massive salary to play footy, we afforded him almost a season off to deal with his issues. What thanks do we get... a trade to Geelong for pick 52.
I think he wasted his best years with us when there was really no hope of a premiership. I'm grateful to have seen him in the RWB, but I feel for him.

1ac46a38
bigred
Saintsational Legend

we give him away to a club that finished on top of the ladder for a pick in the fifties, we may as well just shut the gates and go play in the EDFL.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Club seems pretty happy to let him go.

Is there more to this story?

Just posing the question.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

Steven is compromised because he is seeking to have a Contract terminated

Geelong are (now) compromised because Kelly has nominated West Coast, Kelly, as I understand not under Contract, hence Geelong perceiving they have a need to recruit Steven to replace Kelly

St Kilda are not compromised - having said they will accommodate Steven’s request out of respect for him BUT for the appropriate compensation - being a late First Round Pick or a very early Second Round Pick (so in the low 20’s)

What Geelong may get for the out of Contract Kelly by ding of generosity by West Coast should find its way to St Kilda

So all Clubs win

IF one Club wants to win at the expense of another Club well, guess what?

Steven is under Contract and a required player at St Kilda

And Kelly’s Contract has terminated - so he is out of Contract

Ditto Bruce

A Contracted player the Coach has described as he has - a required player at St Kilda according to a Coach who has a vested interest in St Kilda positioning to play September football in 2020 and onwards - because the Coach is looking fit security of tenure and success will see that outcome

So he knows the players he wants

He has identified outside run and class and ruck support - both of which boxes have been ticked off

What we get from here will be cream on the cake and where what we get for Steven and Bruce will be the bargaining chips - so First Round Picks no higher than low 20’s

Picks higher than that will not cut the mustard in terms of attracting (or Drafting) Class

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I genuinely feel for his circumstances but I don't see why he feels we should accommodate him in every aspect?
a) Allow him to break his contract
b) Allow him to go to his club of choice immaterial of the compensation they're offering
c) Keep his contracted salary.

At the very least, IMHO, if we accommodate him on points a and b then he should have to renegotiate his contract with Geelong to whatever amount they agree to pay him.
Why do we need to be responsible to pay him what he's contracted for if he chooses to walk out on that contract?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think the rumblings we are starting to hear now are a bit more realistic.

The f****** morons in the press have been saying for weeks now that their mid 50's pick will get Steven across. How anyone could possibly think that is appropriate is beyond me.

Papley for a first rounder? Give me a break. A fit and firing Stuv is one of the top twenty mids in the comp really.

Same goes for Bruce. 5th in contested marks last year and over 30 goals. Contracted, would like to go for a four year security deal. So be it, but he is worth a decent pick and or pick and players in return.

Looks like we will be pretty active this period. Be interesting to see what we get done.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 10:03pm We want a flag and the only way we will get it will be if the players are fully committed to the club and each other 100 % , any player who isn't.....don't slam the door on the way out....

oldy but a goodie I know... but never a truer word spoken.
Couldn't agree more - but who would that leave us with? Dunstan and Membrey?

Rocket
Club Player

Well said Bigred

Bruce kicks 36 and 5th most contested marks at CHF aid worth pick 31 according to press, yet Papley who kicks 37 goals in he SCG is worth pick 8.

It’s Bruce and a player for mine. Lin Jong or maybe Toby McClean.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Steven is threatening to retire if he doesn’t get traded to the Cats, we should just let him f****** retire if he’s going to start playing those games!!!

f*** HIM

spert
Saintsational Legend

Forget Steven- he's not a Saint anymore and frankly I don't care apart I hope he is well.

Laurie
Club Player

What a f##### sook retire if he does not go to Geelong.
Make a stance saints all we get is a pick in the 50s let him sit it out.
Alternatively let Geelong pay out his contract if he is so desperate to get there but do not bend over to the hill billeys from Geelong.
Are they not all related?

takeaway
Club Player

I can't believe some on here that just take media comment as gospel. I believe the following comment made on BF by a respected moderator, is much closer to the actual situation. Comment includes Bruce situation as well. I will be glad when the fantasy trade period ends and the real stuff begins next week.

"I feel obliged to wash away all this rubbish speculation. I wish people wouldn't believe everything that comes out of the media.

Bruce is happy with either outcome. Happy with staying at the Saints but received an offer from the Dogs and will be happy to go if we get well compensated and a deal can be reached.

Stuv been at club for 11 years we have supported him through everything absolutely no way a person of his standing will leave us high and dry. Wants to go back home with family but has never once mentioned he will retire if deal cannot be reached. Absolute tripe.

Billings going nowhere. Same with Gresham. Wish we would stop discussing it. Both love club and are contracted. End of story.

Acres on the table but still a chance he stays, depends what we do to get Hill across.

If you want credible information look at what the club put out or speak to the ITK's on here. This place has gone absolutely nuts over the past few days."

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 3:05pm I can't believe some on here that just take media comment as gospel. I believe the following comment made on BF by a respected moderator, is much closer to the actual situation. Comment includes Bruce situation as well. I will be glad when the fantasy trade period ends and the real stuff begins next week.

"I feel obliged to wash away all this rubbish speculation. I wish people wouldn't believe everything that comes out of the media.

Bruce is happy with either outcome. Happy with staying at the Saints but received an offer from the Dogs and will be happy to go if we get well compensated and a deal can be reached.

Stuv been at club for 11 years we have supported him through everything absolutely no way a person of his standing will leave us high and dry. Wants to go back home with family but has never once mentioned he will retire if deal cannot be reached. Absolute tripe.

Billings going nowhere. Same with Gresham. Wish we would stop discussing it. Both love club and are contracted. End of story.

Acres on the table but still a chance he stays, depends what we do to get Hill across.

If you want credible information look at what the club put out or speak to the ITK's on here. This place has gone absolutely nuts over the past few days."
Indeed, a respected Moderator and a usually reliable ITK.

longtimesaint
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 3:05pm I can't believe some on here that just take media comment as gospel. I believe the following comment made on BF by a respected moderator, is much closer to the actual situation. Comment includes Bruce situation as well. I will be glad when the fantasy trade period ends and the real stuff begins next week.

I think trading Acres would be a big mistake

One year will be our year
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 3:44pm

Hope this is the case. Mitch Cleary on the AFL trade FB page, once again stating that the 'going rate' for a player like Stuv is a third round pick (where does he get that from?) and that, "The Cats will get this done". I certainly hope not.

longtimesaint
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 4:38pm

Hope this is the case. Mitch Cleary on the AFL trade FB page, once again stating that the 'going rate' for a player like Stuv is a third round pick (where does he get that from?) and that, "The Cats will get this done". I certainly hope not.
Another Geelong supporter with an agenda to help Geelong and screw us.
A 4 time B&F winner and 18 votes in 2018 Brownlow must count.
He had one bad year but could easily return to his previous best for 3 to 4 years.
I hope we hold out for pick 20 or so otherwise he will have to fulfill his contract or retiire.
In no way should we give those hillbilly creeps a leg up.

One year will be our year
barneyboyz
Club Player

bigred wrote: Wed 02 Oct 2019 11:47pm we give him away to a club that finished on top of the ladder for a pick in the fifties, we may as well just shut the gates and go play in the EDFL.
EDFL would love to play against some of these boys, I can just see it now :shock:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 5:03pm

He had one bad year but could easily return to his previous best for 3 to 4 years.
I hope we hold out for pick 20 or so otherwise he will have to fulfill his contract or retiire.
Yeah, Cleary can get f#cked.
What a Muppet.

Nee!
ctqs
Club Player

Every freakin' year. People get all worked up over the garbage spewed forth in the media. As someone who's worked in the industry for decades, please do not believe anything you read or hear or see in a media outlet until it actually happens. Sports journos are notoriously full of it because they're unaccountable and can speculate without repercussions, and they're often fed crap by clubs and player managers trying to screw the best deal for themselves.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Kelly is a massive potential loss for Geelong and Steven could perhaps make up for, what,.40% percent of this loss? And that’s in the first season. Don’t blame him if he is just motivated enough by the South coast/Geelong fairytale to get him over the line motivation wise. It would be a real bummer to be stuck at Moorabbin after all this. Echoes of his first few years to contrast with the present being back at Moorabbin. Not the most exciting prospect. Grateful to the Saints and for his career, he probably just says to him self, que Sara Sara, meh...etc., if stuck with us now. Can’t be f d doing much I imagine. Of course, that doesn’t exclude a complete sea change, and who knows, perhaps a few switches in his mind flick the whole thing around. I doubt it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Thu 03 Oct 2019 5:03pm

I wondered if he’s a Geelong fan. Do you know that for sure? He and Riley Beveridge were so matter of fact that a pick in the 50’s represents fair value.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Eddie Betts.. Vs Jack Steven... Eddie going to carlton for free.. Jack to Geelong for free.. Such is life