Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Acres

Another Ian Stewart decision.

But we keep Steele, Ross and Dunstan to power our centre square and our mid field.

None of Steele, Ross or Dunstan have creativity - and they are all one sided players with ordinary ball skills both by hand and foot including length of disposal by both hand and foot.

They are the coal face of St Kilda and the reason we languish - along with others including the Captain.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

To the top wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:42pm Another Ian Stewart decision.

But we keep Steele, Ross and Dunstan to power our centre square and our mid field.

None of Steele, Ross or Dunstan have creativity - and they are all one sided players with ordinary ball skills both by hand and foot including length of disposal by both hand and foot.

They are the coal face of St Kilda and the reason we languish - along with others including the Captain.
Hence adding Hannebury and Jones, and Hill on the outside.

damienc
Club Player

You couldn't possibly call it an Ian Stewart decision IMO.

And you couldn't in all seriousness suggest that Acres is better than Hill.

I am a big fan of Blake but he is not in Hill's class. Not even close.

Brad Hill is the best if not one of the best wingmen in the AFL.

He will bring much needed polish and class to our midfield.

This is a huge boost to our footy club.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:17pm Hill for Acres is a bloody downgrade.... fml with this football club.
Surely you jest my friend?

Hill is an A grade mid with excellent speed and skill.

Acres is a C grade floater who may or may not reach his undoubted potential.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

geesuz, fair suck of the sav. comparing trading blake acres with ian stewart is like comparing the darwin bombing with hiroshima.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I’ve read some funny sh1t from you Over the top but this takes the cake.

Mentioning Stewart and Acres (trade or player) in the same post is a joke.

FWIW I’d rate Acres with more natural ability and potential upside than Ross, Steele and Dunstan but he is not a better player than Ross or Steele.

None of the 3 are from Western Australia.

Acres is unbelievably overrated on this forum by some and you sir are the chief protagonist.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
lefty
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:52pm
lefty wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:17pm Hill for Acres is a bloody downgrade.... fml with this football club.
Surely you jest my friend?

Hill is an A grade mid with excellent speed and skill.

Acres is a C grade floater who may or may not reach his undoubted potential.
1. 6 goals from an A grade winger from 22 games is not good enough. Give me Montagna any day of the week.
2. His knee injury was sustained from 2018 and continued through 2019. The older you get, the higher the risk, so why are we doing longer term deals exactly?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Goose is king wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:39pm I’d be pissed if Acres leaves. I want one year of Acres away from Richo
Richo no longer at RSEA Park, so no ban for disparaging him.
So...Richo (IMHO as an outsider) had a massive influence on certain players (a negative influence).
Agree with you that one year under Ratts will dilute and purge the poison that imbecile Richo injected into Blacres and others.
Then we'll see if he can become our version of The Bont, or Fyfe.
Could happen.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 4:17pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 3:59pm
B.M wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 10:12pm You must have missed the 2010 GF?

In fact you must have missed the entire 2009/2010 seasons

Top Ten player I the AFL in both those seasons with a combined tally of nearly 1400 possessions.

Acres doesn’t get a run in the midfield because he isn’t up to it, he’s had 6 years in the system and is still a fringe player
Goddard's games in those GFs were nothing short of absolutely MIGHTY.
Hard to believe it's around 10 years ago :shock:
Indeed, but for the first time in years, I sniff we're on the verge of an ascension.

BJ left nothing on the park in those games, neither did Lenny. That's why they'll always be great Saints.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:03pm
Goose is king wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:39pm I’d be pissed if Acres leaves. I want one year of Acres away from Richo
Richo no longer at RSEA Park, so no ban for disparaging him.
So...Richo (IMHO as an outsider) had a massive influence on certain players (a negative influence).
Agree with you that one year under Ratts will dilute and purge the poison that imbecile Richo injected into Blacres and others.
Then we'll see if he can become our version of The Bont, or Fyfe.
Could happen.
He'll never be a Bont or Fyfe or Lenny Hayes. He just doesn't work hard enough.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:20pm Ares and 10.for Hill and a second or third rounder back for Jones.. Keep Bruce. ??
I wondered about that too. Freo’s second rounder somehow part of a deal involving Acres, which we then give to Sydney for Zak Jones. Then if the Dogs really want Josh Bruce, they can bloody well pay.

To the top
SS Life Member

To respond

To trade out Acres reeks of a trade which will come back to haunt St Kilda - as I understand the Stewart Trade did

That is the comparison for the faunicated moron who simplistically suggests that I am comparing Stewart with Acres as players

The players I compare Acres with are Steele, Ross and Dunstan and I rate Acres above each of them for the reasons I have given

The reason I compare those 3 with Acres is because they are all competing for mid field roles at St Kilda

What the response shows is that you cannot debate idiots

My view is that St Kilda will rue the day they traded Acres and retained all of Steele, Ross and Dunstan

Time will tell

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Do you appreciate how good Ian Stewart was? You also seem to grossly underrate Jack Steele.

Acres is a kid who's had a ton of potential for 6 years (I see why he seduces) and just doesn't work hard enough.

If he needs to be sacrificed to get Hill over the line, its a no brainer.

I agree there's a slight risk he fulfils his potential, but its slight. Doesn't justify walking away from the Hill deal.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think losing Acres will not come back to haunt us.

lol some on here thought Mav would come back to haunt us :)

damienc
Club Player

To the top wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:12pm To respond

To trade out Acres reeks of a trade which will come back to haunt St Kilda - as I understand the Stewart Trade did

That is the comparison for the faunicated moron who simplistically suggests that I am comparing Stewart with Acres as players

The players I compare Acres with are Steele, Ross and Dunstan and I rate Acres above each of them for the reasons I have given

The reason I compare those 3 with Acres is because they are all competing for mid field roles at St Kilda

What the response shows is that you cannot debate idiots

My view is that St Kilda will rue the day they traded Acres and retained all of Steele, Ross and Dunstan

Time will tell
Mate. No need to get personal and insulting.

It doesn't strengthen your argument. If anything it diminishes.

I kept my ridicule to a minimum. Suggest you do the same.
Last edited by damienc on Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

"Fremantle won't get two first round picks for Brad Hill.

It will be Pick 10 and a future 2nd rounder, plus swaps of late selections. Papers will be lodged this afternoon. @FOXFOOTY https://t.co/dSNXm1vrvm"

— Tom Morris (@tommorris32) October 15, 2019

Don't know old this is.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Acres has been good in patches, but his game lacks urgency and intensity. Some of his defensive efforts this year were below par. Maybe back on home soil will give him the impetus to really grow as a player. He is capable of being a devastating player. It's all between the ears for Blake. If he's not part of the Hill trade and he stays with us then he needs to put in a massive year so that Freo come begging for him at the end of 2020. There's his incentive. Either way, he needs to take the bull by the horns

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Acres going to Freo will have a Nil affect on the Saints.

He hasn't delivered on the wraps he gets, we need to evolve to be winners.

Bye Blake, if that's how it pans out.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

This is from the AFL website:

St Kilda will part with pick 10 (acquired in the Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder deal), a future second-round selection, No.58 (which will be part of the pending Jack Steven trade) and Acres.

The two clubs could also swap future draft picks to round out the trade.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 5:57pm

FWIW I’d rate Acres with more natural ability and potential upside than Ross, Steele and Dunstan but he is not a better player than Ross or Steele.
I actually think that's his problem - he's just not a good footballer.

He's big, can run and is strong - but after watching him play 75 games, I'm now convinced that he's just not very good at footy.

His physical abilitiy is what cons us all.

damienc
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:23pm Acres has been good in patches, but his game lacks urgency and intensity. Some of his defensive efforts this year were below par. Maybe back on home soil will give him the impetus to really grow as a player. He is capable of being a devastating player. It's all between the ears for Blake. If he's not part of the Hill trade and he stays with us then he needs to put in a massive year so that Freo come begging for him at the end of 2020. There's his incentive. Either way, he needs to take the bull by the horns
I think you are right about Acres.

I am a huge fan. At one time I thought he could turn into a genuine A grade tall midfielder in the mould of Bontempelli.

But he has never fully lived up to his potential.

Maybe it was the previous coach who wanted him to do what didn't come naturally.

Maybe our new coach might have made a difference.

Part of me will be disappointed to lose him, but if it means getting the Hill deal across the line it might be worth it.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Hill and Jones in the midfield is much better than Acres. I was also a big fan of Blake's but I've already said my goodbyes.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Port game not too long ago - Dunstan kept us in it, boys slogged their guts out, seconds to go: Ryder to Gray, Acres MIA, we lose. Blake (what me?) you had one job. That possibly defines Blake & I think we are getting more than .4047 hectares for him on conversion.

Cordz2
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 6:23pm Acres has been good in patches, but his game lacks urgency and intensity. Some of his defensive efforts this year were below par. Maybe back on home soil will give him the impetus to really grow as a player. He is capable of being a devastating player. It's all between the ears for Blake. If he's not part of the Hill trade and he stays with us then he needs to put in a massive year so that Freo come begging for him at the end of 2020. There's his incentive. Either way, he needs to take the bull by the horns
I agree with that

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Last time I checked

Ross, Steele and Dunstan finished 1st, 3rd and 7th in the B&F

Where did Acres finish?

In fact, what is his best finish??

Seb Ross has won two
Steele has finished on the podium twice
Dunstan has finished top ten twice ... but agree he is a GOP.

Acres is a fringe player how has played a handful of good games, I’ll go as far as saying he is not as good as Lonie