Dougal and Ryder Trade done.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Dougal and Ryder Trade done.

shrodes wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 4:41pm

Interesting how much goes into planning these trades... well done Gags
Seems that he may not be half bad afterall. We have certainly improved on the previous bunch

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

Zed wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 11:48pm Nice looking backline taking shape
Dougs at FB, Carlisle at CHB
3rd tall options Wilkie, Battle, Austin, and maybe Roberton
Small/Mid sized options in Geary, Webster, Savage, Coffield, Paton
Could be something or could be nothing wild cards are Marsh and Joyce

Battle is the interesting one. Has a beautiful kick on him and would be wasted at Sandy but may not be a lock down back or up forward.
I think Battle now finds his way forward, he's just too damaging as a forward, and Austin/Joyce fight it out. I think Marsh is the smokey here, as if he gets a full preseason then his output could be very impressive, especially when you remember that he took himself out of the game and was a very much required player at the Pies

But yes, which ever way you now look at this team, the backline will be impressive

stkfc1
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 8:01am

Battle is the interesting one. Has a beautiful kick on him and would be wasted at Sandy but may not be a lock down back or up forward.
I think Battle now finds his way forward, he's just too damaging as a forward, and Austin/Joyce fight it out. I think Marsh is the smokey here, as if he gets a full preseason then his output could be very impressive, especially when you remember that he took himself out of the game and was a very much required player at the Pies

But yes, which ever way you now look at this team, the backline will be impressive
Agree. I think Marsh will surprise a few next year. A full preseason and this guy could be one to watch for. Guys his size, that move like he does, don't grow on trees. Having Howard gives us so much more flexability with himself and Battle now able to go forward. I'd start with Battle as FF King CHF and Membrey as our 3rd banana. This lets Members off the chain as he will carve up just about every 3rd defender in the league. He could well have a 50 goal+ season. Hopefully King can hold his own next year and stay injury free. 15 games from King would be a good return. It would be nice if we fix our F50 delivery. Over to you St Kilda coaching panel.

stkfc1
Club Player

Agree. I think Marsh will surprise a few next year. A full preseason and this guy could be one to watch for. Guys his size, that move like he does, don't grow on trees. Having Howard gives us so much more flexability with himself and Battle now able to go forward. I'd start with Battle as FF King CHF and Membrey as our 3rd banana. This lets Members off the chain as he will carve up just about every 3rd defender in the league. He could well have a 50 goal+ season. Hopefully King can hold his own next year and stay injury free. 15 games from King would be a good return. It would be nice if we fix our F50 delivery. Over to you St Kilda coaching panel.

ace
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:32am

If you want to play 3 marking forwards you need 4 on the list because on average on will be injured.
None injured well you may have to choose who misses out or use him elsewhere.
King, Battle, Membry, Marshall/Ryder with Ryder/Marshall rucking.
Same with 3 tall backs you need at least 4 possibly 5 because you can't afford to left short with only 2 tall defenders.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
barneyboyz
Club Player

ace wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:42am
stkfc1 wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:32am

If you want to play 3 marking forwards you need 4 on the list because on average on will be injured.
None injured well you may have to choose who misses out or use him elsewhere.
King, Battle, Membry, Marshall/Ryder with Ryder/Marshall rucking.
Same with 3 tall backs you need at least 4 possibly 5 because you can't afford to left short with only 2 tall defenders.
Having good swing men in Battle, Marsh, Ryder, Carlisle and Marshall covers game day flexibility somewhat, and a mid season draft (can) cover significant injuries

Parker plays taller too, and then there's White, so we are getting there

This mini build might only just be starting, but it shows that we have a thirst for change

shrodes
SS Life Member

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a good get Ryder.

Howard out from nowhere. Bit price for a player playing VFL so we’ll see!

shrodes
SS Life Member

damienc
Club Player

Did anyone listen to the Paddy Ryder interview on Trade Radio this morning?

Whatever you might think of recruiting Ryder to the Saints, (quite frankly I am mystified as to why people would not want an AA ruckman to play for the Saints), he had some very good things to say in the interview.

For those that didn't listen, Paddy was full of praise for Rowan Marshall.

Was not coming to the Saints to steal Marshall's thunder. On the contrary, he was looking forward to working with Marshall and developing a formidable ruck combination.

Paddy says he hopes to work with Marshall over the next two years and show him some "tricks."

Ryder sounded very happy to be at the Saints and was looking forward to the year ahead.

He also wanted to be a bit of a leader for our interstate indigenous boys ( and we have a few) who might be missing close ties to family.

Paddy was also looking forward to playing with his cousin, B. Hill.

He could not have said it better. I was mightily impressed with what I heard.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:19pm Did anyone listen to the Paddy Ryder interview on Trade Radio this morning?

Whatever you might think of recruiting Ryder to the Saints, (quite frankly I am mystified as to why people would not want an AA ruckman to play for the Saints), he had some very good things to say in the interview.

For those that didn't listen, Paddy was full of praise for Rowan Marshall.

Was not coming to the Saints to steal Marshall's thunder. On the contrary, he was looking forward to working with Marshall and developing a formidable ruck combination.

Paddy says he hopes to work with Marshall over the next two years and show him some "tricks."

Ryder sounded very happy to be at the Saints and was looking forward to the year ahead.

He also wanted to be a bit of a leader for our interstate indigenous boys ( and we have a few) who might be missing close ties to family.

Paddy was also looking forward to playing with his cousin, B. Hill.

He could not have said it better. I was mightily impressed with what I heard.
I think the majority of criticism was RE cost

Given the consensus is a good deal... I reckon it’s a non-issue.

I’m one that thinks Paddy is passed his best but am happy to have him on board

The reality is that even if they weren’t cut, he’s ahead of Longer and Pierce... pbly Hickey too

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:37pm

I don't believe the vast majority of the concern was cost at all.

I think it was clear from day one that he was coming on a minimal contract and it was also assumed that trade cost would be low (which as the steak knives in the Hoard deal it was).

I think the concerns were basically:
- Marshall mainly being played as key forward (ie as per Roo's comments) and the beflief that is so this would hamper and slow down his development as a ruck
- That while Ryder is a much better ruck than Bruce, that he is no where near as good as a key forward and so this would hamper the effectiveness of our forward line
- That Marshall has looked an elite ruckman, but may not be an elite or even very good forward (so not playing him in the ruck for mot of the game is squandering his talent

There are certainly some pros as per the interview, but I think that the above were the key cons.
The other key pro pusshed was the belief/theory that having two good rucks would make us a better team as Bruce as the relief ruck was poor in the ruck.

With Ryder on board my guess is that they will play Marshall and Ryder approximately equal in the ruck and key forward with both having bench time as well.

My hope is that Marshall is not played in the ruck for less than 50%. Then again if he surprises and shows that he is a gun key forward (as well as ruck) that % may rise.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Rocket
Club Player

Loved the Cornes reaction to Howard pick up. He was filthy and said Port Adelaide botched up. Given up a potential All Australian. Hope it works out.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 2:26pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:37pm

I don't believe the vast majority of the concern was cost at all.

I think it was clear from day one that he was coming on a minimal contract and it was also assumed that trade cost would be low (which as the steak knives in the Hoard deal it was).

I think the concerns were basically:
- Marshall mainly being played as key forward (ie as per Roo's comments) and the beflief that is so this would hamper and slow down his development as a ruck
- That while Ryder is a much better ruck than Bruce, that he is no where near as good as a key forward and so this would hamper the effectiveness of our forward line
- That Marshall has looked an elite ruckman, but may not be an elite or even very good forward (so not playing him in the ruck for mot of the game is squandering his talent

There are certainly some pros as per the interview, but I think that the above were the key cons.
The other key pro pusshed was the belief/theory that having two good rucks would make us a better team as Bruce as the relief ruck was poor in the ruck.

With Ryder on board my guess is that they will play Marshall and Ryder approximately equal in the ruck and key forward with both having bench time as well.

My hope is that Marshall is not played in the ruck for less than 50%. Then again if he surprises and shows that he is a gun key forward (as well as ruck) that % may rise.
Good points.

I think the intention is to play them 50/50 in the ruck but, with the bonus being that they can stretch defences as resting ruckmen forward. Remembering that Marshall already has forward craft - he was recruited as a forward and in many ways, became an accidental ruckman due to his height.

I for one am looking forward to having two reasonable quality ruckmen - I don't think we've had that since Lazar/Spider (except maybe for a very brief period in King/Gardiner)

Go you red, black & white warriors