Dan Butler highlights

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dan Butler highlights

Noice

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dan Butler highlights

He has a good banana???? You obviously know him better than most

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If you say so.

Very weird comment.

damienc
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 7:49pm Noice

Quite a few supporters here have been critical of this signing.

It is a fairly typical kind of criticism, why are we going after him when we have Lonie, Parker, Young etc.

Again, I don't quite understand the reasoning for not wanting Dan Butler.

He played in the Tiger's premiership team in 2017. In the minds of many, that was Richmond's best side. Better than 2019.

His 2019 season was interrupted by an ankle injury. These types of injury tend to take a while to recover from and one or two Richmond players, similar to him, took their opportunity and became preferred options.

The Tigers were respectful of Butler and what he contributed and wanted him to find a home that provided more regular game time.

Butler is quick and clever, He also has really good defensive pressure. I understand why our footy club wanted to sign him.

He will put competitive pressure on the likes of Lonie and co and that has got to be a good thing. In my view.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 18 Oct 2019 9:27am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 7:49pm Noice

Quite a few supporters here have been critical of this signing.

It is a fairly typical kind of criticism, why are we going after him when we have Lonie, Parker, Young etc.

Again, I don't quite understand the reasoning for not wanting Dan Butler.

He played in the Tiger's premiership team in 2017. In the minds of many, that was Richmond's best side. Better than 2019.

His 2019 season was interrupted by an ankle injury. These types of injury tend to take a while to recover from and one or two Richmond players, similar to him, took their opportunity and became preferred options.

The Tigers were respectful of Butler and what he contributed and wanted him to find a home that provided more regular game time.

Butler is quick and clever, He also has really good defensive pressure. I understand why our footy club wanted to sign him.

He will put competitive pressure on the likes of Lonie and co and that has got to be a good thing. In my view.
I know they are only highlights but he looks better than Dean Kent.

stkfc1
Club Player

I think the reasoning is that it would enable players like Long and Parker more midfield time. We need more depth and difference in the mid and these two could provide that.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Pure forward pocket. Him and Hind should make it a nightmare for defences to clear their 50

Nee!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 18 Oct 2019 11:19am Pure forward pocket. Him and Hind should make it a nightmare for defences to clear their 50
While Hill and Gresham coming in the other direction might enjoy a goal kicking bonanza.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Never buy into highlights as they only show the good not the bad. I know nothing of butler except others overtook him at Richmond and he got dropped to reserves

I view him at this point as a gop but one that was cheap. Best things is more pressure on small forwards to perform. He may be great but not getting overly excited by him

Hill on the other hand. Booyah.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We know Butler has good highlights. So do the Tiges.

But he needs to do a bit more, more often and this is why he is no longer a Tiger.

He has the potential to be a good player for us, but is no lock for our 22. He needs to do just that little bit more.

We already have small forwards that also need to do that bit more. The one that does will be our FP>

Competition for places is now back at St Kilda, and due to this I am expecting a better season coming up, and hopefully seasons after that.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 18 Oct 2019 11:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Harves Man
Club Player

Loved the way he looked so confident, going for those checkside kicks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Played most of the season at VFL. Hope he likes playing on Trevor Barker oval.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 18 Oct 2019 12:49pm Never buy into highlights as they only show the good not the bad. I know nothing of butler except others overtook him at Richmond and he got dropped to reserves

I view him at this point as a gop but one that was cheap. Best things is more pressure on small forwards to perform. He may be great but not getting overly excited by him

Hill on the other hand. Booyah.
Agreed - and I’m in the same boat. Don’t know a lot about Butler so I will be interested to watch him . it wasn’t a hugely impressive highlight package. Could just as easily put a highlight package featuring some of Lonie’s better tackles, forward pressure and goals that would be equally as impressive.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
barneyboyz
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Fri 18 Oct 2019 10:24am I think the reasoning is that it would enable players like Long and Parker more midfield time. We need more depth and difference in the mid and these two could provide that.
Under the right coach, Ben Long could be one very special footballer I think. He and Parker could explode through the middle of the ground over the next couple of years. It's just going to need some courage to put them there

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: