Paddy to be delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Darth Vader
Club Player

Re: Paddy to be delisted

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 2:33pm Correct, he was a risky DP at the pick we took him. It was AR who seriously questioned the selection, but trout who reassured the football dept that he was the right pick.

The question was over his athletic profile, and whether his condition inhibited his ability to become elite standard fitness.

Trout stated it wouldn’t be a drama, because he’s on top of his diabetes

When Paddy stated in his 3rd year that he was still coming to terms with managing his diabetes, alarm bells rung. He was struggling to control his levels and high arousal levels would make him lethargic and Feel like he was drunk. He was struggling to control his weight, and get his diet right. That is in his third year, so the club never really worked out how to effectively manage him.

So the risk at draft time, was real, and ultimately it didn’t work.
This is all correct and documented. The fact is some diabetics are better at managing it than others for a range of reasons. For example Dale Weightman managed it, as did the Cripps that left us for WCE. I reckon the club (Trout) assumed Paddy was in this category. History proved them wrong. No idea if this would’ve made him more susceptible to concussions though but I doubt it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 2:33pm Correct, he was a risky DP at the pick we took him. It was AR who seriously questioned the selection, but trout who reassured the football dept that he was the right pick.

The question was over his athletic profile, and whether his condition inhibited his ability to become elite standard fitness.

When Paddy stated in his 3rd year that he was still coming to terms with managing his diabetes, alarm bells rung. He was struggling to control his levels and high arousal levels would make him lethargic and Feel like he was drunk. He was struggling to control his weight, and get his diet right. That is in his third year, so the club never really worked out how to effectively manage him.

And yet in January 2018 we gave him a 2 year extension knowing all this.

Then again, back then we loved extending contracts and just hoping for organic growth.

Bit like eating organic food - sounds good in theory- looks good on the surface but can be full of maggots and bugs on the inside and not worth the cost.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

There was actually a slogan for when our kids were signing on, can’t remember what it was, but about 20 resigned. Most on overs as we had a crap team and no one to pay... no wonder they were so willing to commit $$$$$

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 5:59pm

And yet in January 2018 we gave him a 2 year extension knowing all this.

Then again, back then we loved extending contracts and just hoping for organic growth.

Bit like eating organic food - sounds good in theory- looks good on the surface but can be full of maggots and bugs on the inside and not worth the cost.
Is that how you justify buying the cheaper produce? Anyhow...

Organic maggots and bugs are good protein mate.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 6:34pm Organic maggots and bugs are good protein mate.
maybe - but theyre still expensive maggots

Seeya
Secret Kiel
Club Player

freely wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 5:02pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 1:54pm
freely wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 1:34pm Cousins' problems are with recreational drugs not performance enhancing ones.
do you know how easy it is to procure steroids and growth hormones along with speed, these three drugs are used to great effect in many gyms around the country. if recreation drugs weren't an issue they wouldn't be banned. Speed in particular can be used to great effect in micro doses for increasing energy levels to help you back up day after day in the gym.
Yeah, I do know. I just don't think that's the issue for Cousins.
Clearly he's not interested in growth hormones or steroids these days but coming back to your original statement, how do we know said cocktail wasn't something he feasted on during his playing days.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Crystal Meth was the drug of choice for Ben

No doubt he dabblein Coke, MDMA an Amphetamines also.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 4:43pm

Thank you. Finally someone who gets it.
So when BM says, "ultimately it didn't work", it could be implied that he is drawing a link between his views on him being a risky draft selection and the issue that "ultimately" ended his career, which as we know was concussion. As it is well known, views and opinions on selection risk and concussion are two completely separately things.

So yes you're right, BM gets it.

To the top
SS Life Member

There is much comment on here around where information comes from

My view is that if anyone is privy to information and then repeats that information on social media (so this site) they would forthwith find themselves out of the “inner loop”

Plus they would be sanctioned

Hence, again in my view, what is pedalled on here are personal opinions and speculation

Including placing their own bias on formal statements issued by the Club and its employees including its players, employees and players well versed in PR so rehearsed

The comments on McCartin and others on this site are uninformed opinion, opinion framed to suite a particular bias

I would go further and speculate that given what is said to be an epidemic of diabetes both Type 1 and Type 2, being blood sugar levels, those with elevated blood sugar levels are not precluded from going about their lives including playing sport

As one who runs at least 10km per day and has my wife with her attention to diet I would like to think that those factors diminish the prospect of diabetes and other ailments

In fact I read that life style, being diet and exercise correct health issues including diabetes

So, as an AFL footballer I would assume that the disciplines of diet and exercise would have been beneficial to McCartin as an assessment

I have played sport with some who have been impacted by low blood sugar levels - including one who played State football

It did not impede his career although there was tracking management

Next we will see that we should not have recruited an 18 year old kid because he has had an ingrown toe nail

Medical science is what it is - and it is evolving every second of every day to our benefit

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 1:15pm
In fact I read that life style, being diet and exercise correct health issues including diabetes

So, as an AFL footballer I would assume that the disciplines of diet and exercise would have been beneficial to McCartin as an assessment

I have played sport with some who have been impacted by low blood sugar levels - including one who played State football
Exercise and diet may correct, and I said may, type 2 diabetes. And whilst a healthy diet and exercise is a must for anybody it will not correct type 1 diabetes.

damienc
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 8:19am

So when BM says, "ultimately it didn't work", it could be implied that he is drawing a link between his views on him being a risky draft selection and the issue that "ultimately" ended his career, which as we know was concussion. As it is well known, views and opinions on selection risk and concussion are two completely separately things.

BM had me at “risky DP”. It pretty much says it all

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 1:15pm There is much comment on here around where information comes from

My view is that if anyone is privy to information and then repeats that information on social media (so this site) they would forthwith find themselves out of the “inner loop”

Plus they would be sanctioned

Hence, again in my view, what is pedalled on here are personal opinions and speculation

Including placing their own bias on formal statements issued by the Club and its employees including its players, employees and players well versed in PR so rehearsed

The comments on McCartin and others on this site are uninformed opinion, opinion framed to suite a particular bias

I would go further and speculate that given what is said to be an epidemic of diabetes both Type 1 and Type 2, being blood sugar levels, those with elevated blood sugar levels are not precluded from going about their lives including playing sport

As one who runs at least 10km per day and has my wife with her attention to diet I would like to think that those factors diminish the prospect of diabetes and other ailments

It did not impede his career although there was tracking management

Next we will see that we should not have recruited an 18 year old kid because he has had an ingrown toe nail

Medical science is what it is - and it is evolving every second of every day to our benefit
10k run a day???

Take up cycling my man. Your knees will thank you later. :)

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

damienc wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 2:01pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 8:19am

BM had me at “risky DP”. It pretty much says it all
If you take the narrow view.

To the top
SS Life Member

As the rain continues to tumble down!

Yes, as I understand Type 1 diabetics are "but for the Grace of God go I", unlike Type 2 which I understand are life style, so you get to management and professional management which is obviously available and (probably sadly) more so if you happen to be a professional sports person

In regard running and knees, I subscribe to the old theory that things wear out if you do not use them - and knees are meant for use bearing the multiples of body weight they do and are designed to do.

Mind you, I do not run pavements.

And it becomes a habit hence you are uncomfortable in yourself if you do not keep up the regime.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Concussions aside

Paddy still could not reach AFL standard fitness, therefore made little impact.

No doubt his diabetes had some bearing on his inability to get an AFL body

Special
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 5:11pm Concussions aside

Exactly.

And most likely due to his inability to get fit he was more prone to get hit as he couldn’t avoid the knocks as easily.

The diabetes probably impacted his recovery from the head knocks.

It’s a vicious cycle guys.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Special wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 5:19pm

Exactly.

And most likely due to his inability to get fit he was more prone to get hit as he couldn’t avoid the knocks as easily.

pure misguided BS

To the top
SS Life Member

The summary SK is the uneducated telling their fellow uneducated what they do not know

And the question is “Why?”

As Marshall is quoted as saying today hopefully Paddy has the year off and comes back with the problems behind him (loose translation but that was the sentiment)

What we do need to do to become consistently competitive is select a side in which all players with the ball in hand are potent to the advantage of team structures

And all players bring the required defensive skills when the ball is in the hands of opposition players

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Yep it’s an opinion based fan forum, what was your expectation a debate on heliocentrism verses geocentrism?
My guess here is a BSA or a one not too bright. Elite athletes do not run at least 10km per day (plus 70k per week) on a continual basis, even a first year grad EP understands a balanced fitness program of cross training.

So let me get the second point straight, you are suggesting that regular exercise and attention to diet will diminish the prospect of diabetes and other ailments?

Ground breaking, have you considered publishing these findings in the NEJM?
It appears you’re a well-read man at the cutting edge of sport science, perhaps you could counsel Stephen Dank.
There is the money shot, its not an authentic TTT post without the gross exaggeration of fact.

Hilarious posting Over the top, keep producing these gold nuggets!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Darth Vader wrote: Tue 05 Nov 2019 5:54pm

This is all correct and documented. The fact is some diabetics are better at managing it than others for a range of reasons. For example Dale Weightman managed it, as did the Cripps that left us for WCE. I reckon the club (Trout) assumed Paddy was in this category. History proved them wrong. No idea if this would’ve made him more susceptible to concussions though but I doubt it.

Does anyone know if Trout got the all-clear about Paddy's DM1 from the endocrinologists before he was picked?

Very confident in his ignorance if not.

I have no knowledge of Paddy's medical management. I don't know what combination of short and long-acting insulins and or other diabetic meds he was on, but I assume he had/has some form of an implantable continuous insulin pump with a feedback loop to adjust the necessary dose.

In any case: In general terms, people with diabetes type one have NO natural insulin in their bodies, Sufferers produce none! That part of the pancreas is burnt out.

Isulin is essential for life. It sends sugar from the blood into muscle and all other cells including most importantly the brain cells.

Reflexes, stamina and speed, reaction time, coordination, attention, spacial attention and other higher cognitive functions are all affected by both high and especially low blood sugar levels.

One could imagine this happening on a momentary basis on an unfit athlete with suboptimal diabetes control with the demands of elite sport.

Paddy was required to sprint, sprint back, burst packs open, mark the ball and create space for crumbers etc.

Too much sugar in diabetes can be caused by too much to eat, not enough exercise, too little insulin, intercurrent illness or any combo of these and other reasons.

Too little sugar can be caused by too much insulin, too much exercise for the amount of sugar and insulin in the blood, and/or intercurrent illness and any combo of these and or other reasons.

Paddy suffered more than his fair of concussions because his on-the-field diabetes control was clearly sub-optimal causing those problems I mentioned above.

DM 1 is a tough illness to manage for most people let alone elite athletes. A few athletes are/were successful, but for other's, their diabetes type 1 is kind of too brittle for such demands.

Paddy was exposed to continual virtually second-second fluctuations in sugar levels on the field.

He is a very talented footballer, we all saw glimpses, and it is very sad for him and all that he got too many complications of his DM 1 combined with AFL football i.e the concussions, to safely continue on.

To summarize for all, and make it plain: his concussions (8 in all?) were completely connected to sub-optimal type 1 diabetes control for an AFL footballer.

Sure, there must have been an element of bad luck too, as for all concussions (wrong place wrong time), but that does not explain how many he had in such a short time, and all the other time he spent off the field getting assessed/stabilized.

And I reckon he would have had the best medical care including the club docs, other specialists, dieticians...the full shebang.

Never should have been pick one. Completely not his fault and the demands and self-expectations and now disappointment must be extreme.

I really feel for the guy.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Special
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 07 Nov 2019 8:55pm

Exactly.

pure misguided BS
Why?

You don’t think his diabetes that wasn’t under control impacted his inability to get to peak fitness, or anywhere close to it?

Special
Club Player

Exactly.

pure misguided BS
Why?

You don’t think his diabetes that wasn’t under control impacted his inability to get to peak fitness, or anywhere close to it?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Special wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 12:41am

Exactly.

pure misguided BS
Why?

Diabetes does not make you more prone to collisions on an AFL field. Pure and simple.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thread has been done to death. Move on guys. Nothing to see here.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 8:24am Thread has been done to death. Move on guys. Nothing to see here.
Got any conversation starters we can use as an alternative?