best 22 round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: best 22 round 1

Yep and we have a couple of backline players that are talented enough to play back and forward and that could be very helpful if King can't make round 1 or any other round in 2020.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Well Carlisle has shown he isn’t one of them

Slow as a wet week as a forward, doesn’t like an opponent checking him too closely and doesn’t apply defensive pressure due to his lack of agility.

Battle could be moved, although he played better at CHB than he showed forward of the Centre. Not a great contested mark, but has a big tank though. He’s kicked what though... a dozen career goals

Marshall and Ryder will be good in the ruck, average forward.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

You could class BJ as a bit of a swingman, couldn't you?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

whilst the term 'swingman' has come into question for possibly not being a legal definition of positions on the ground, BJ it could be argued was an angryman.

barneyboyz
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Nov 2019 9:30pm Well Carlisle has shown he isn’t one of them

Slow as a wet week as a forward, doesn’t like an opponent checking him too closely and doesn’t apply defensive pressure due to his lack of agility.

Battle could be moved, although he played better at CHB than he showed forward of the Centre. Not a great contested mark, but has a big tank though. He’s kicked what though... a dozen career goals

Marshall and Ryder will be good in the ruck, average forward.
I don't think we've seen enough of Marshall up forward to really know??? His kicking can be as bad as mine though :oops:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Give battle a chance up forward. It's easier spoiling a mark up back than Marking up forward, especially with our delivery we picked him because he is a good shot at goal amongst other things.

We let Bruce go as we plan on filling his spot up forward and battle is part of that plan. King will struggle for a while as he is still a kid and a lanky one at that. i saw him play at sandy last year and he kept getting pushed off the ball due to defenders having an extra ten kilos on him. He will take a while to bulk up so don't expect a miracle day one

Secret Kiel
Club Player

We didn't let him go, the Dogs offered him a better deal, we wanted him to stay, I think the fact that Bruce made up his mind to leave mid season says something about how flush for options up forward we are.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019 8:50am We didn't let him go, the Dogs offered him a better deal, we wanted him to stay, I think the fact that Bruce made up his mind to leave mid season says something about how flush for options up forward we are.
Splitting hairs there, dogs offered him a deal that we choose not to match or beat.

King battle skunk up forward with marshall floating forward when not rucking. We have options but not many
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 14 Nov 2019 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019 9:47am
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019 8:50am We didn't let him go, the Dogs offered him a better deal, we wanted him to stay, I think the fact that Bruce made up his mind to leave mid season says something about how flush for options up forward we are.
Splitting hairs there, dogs offered him a deal that we choose not to match or beat.

King battle skunk up forward with marshall floating forward when not f******. We have options but not many
we chose not to match or beat it because we had options, who else would offer a player of Bruce's calibre a 4 year deal. The Dogs are desperate because they recognise their two young key forwards need cover and could take the risk to pay overs. We wanted him to stay but someone else valued him more than we did. Smart move by Bruce because he could see the writing on the wall as we had options and he will be 28 next June so his value to us next year would have been even less.

Battle won't be playing forward. He is now a backman/swingman. Carlisle is the obvious choice to come forward as a stop gap measure. Will he be asked, will he do it? An interesting summer ahead.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle will not be playing forward.

Maybe Battle will play backman/swing man like Sicily?

Who’s kicked 9 goals in his last 38 games... most of those playing as a defender and drifting forward

BTW
BJ was a good player, which allowed him to play in a few positions. Generally he played HB or Wing, could go into the middle. Rarely did he play forward.

This notion of a ‘swing man’ is hilarious.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

It's not that hilarious. We all know what it means - someone who can go forward as an option to mix things up part way through a game. Some players can't do that at all.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

My Scallons footy cards sometimes said, disappointingly, “Utility” under the picture of the player to describe their position, which was underwhelming for my little brain. I thought it was just code for, not really good enough to hold a key position. But I assumed they were smaller and that “ Swingmen” who could hold key positions.

By the time I was going to the footy on my own, Barry Breen, who I thought was a forward, would be a full-back, or Cowboy Neale, or Trevor Barker both too. SOS could be a dangerous forward too, and of course in a annibulus horribleness, we know what Blight did with that Adelaide back pocket in the 97 GF.

I assume I just don’t know. Spud Frawley started as a forward and I still don’t know what makes a Carlisle say, or a Rance a better back than a forward? Is it that they have more footy common sense and less ego than forwards? I would have thought Paddy McCartin might have been able to be a good CHB, or Kosi too, but alas.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 10:06am My Scallons footy cards sometimes said, disappointingly, “Utility” under the picture of the player to describe their position, which was underwhelming for my little brain. I thought it was just code for, not really good enough to hold a key position. But I assumed they were smaller and that “ Swingmen” who could hold key positions.

By the time I was going to the footy on my own, Barry Breen, who I thought was a forward, would be a full-back, or Cowboy Neale, or Trevor Barker both too. SOS could be a dangerous forward too, and of course in a annibulus horribleness, we know what Blight did with that Adelaide back pocket in the 97 GF.

I assume I just don’t know. Spud Frawley started as a forward and I still don’t know what makes a Carlisle say, or a Rance a better back than a forward? Is it that they have more footy common sense and less ego than forwards? I would have thought Paddy McCartin might have been able to be a good CHB, or Kosi too, but alas.

swingman,
utilityman,
versatilityman
midfielder
onballer,
rover,
ruck rover
follower
pinchhitter
thirdman up
two way runner
space guard
defensive forward
attacking defender
zone player

did I miss any.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 12:10pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 10:06am My Scallons footy cards sometimes said, disappointingly, “Utility” under the picture of the player to describe their position, which was underwhelming for my little brain. I thought it was just code for, not really good enough to hold a key position. But I assumed they were smaller and that “ Swingmen” who could hold key positions.

swingman,
utilityman,
versatilityman
midfielder
onballer,
rover,
ruck rover
follower
pinchhitter
thirdman up
two way runner
space guard
defensive forward
attacking defender
zone player

did I miss any.
Yeah. Good ordinary player, list clogger

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Spitter

B.M
Saintsational Legend

swingman, a KPP who can play both ends. Rarely do they.
utilityman, a player with the ability to play different positions, like most players
versatilityman, what?
midfielder, yes a position or type of player
onballer, same thing as above
rover, same thing
ruck rover, same thing
follower, same thing, including ruckmen
pinchhitter, just someone who plays a position for a short period as a stop gap or an injury occurs
thirdman up, more a thing you do than a position
two way runner, all players are supposed to run both ways, some do it better than others
space guard, ????
defensive forward, a crap player doing a role because he cannot impact offensively (which is the best way to stop a defender)
attacking defender, any defender who wins the footy, or runs offensively when the team wins the ball. All defenders should be able to rebound.
zone player, every player in the team during team defence would know how and where to zone

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 1:31pm
Purely for interest, having a quick look at the history originally the Follower was a position that at some teams assisted the Ruck and the Rover. He did so mainly by blocking and shepherding for the Ruck and the Rover. The Follower was tall, but often a bit shorter though more mobile that the ruck.

At times when the Ruck could not keep up with the play the Follower would contest in the ruck.

Team also played two Rucks, with one resting in the pocket. When I was a boy I think I recall sometimes the Saints had 3 Rucks, with one each in the Ruck, FP and BP.

Then along came Barassi, and the position of Ruck Rover was born.

Following came to mean the Ruck, Rover and Rover as Followers as they all followed the ball around. These days half a team would be followers ;)

The problem with Longer of course was that while he was quite a decent Ruck, he was poor at being a follower!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 5:33pm
Purely for interest, having a quick look at the history originally the Follower was a position that at some teams assisted the Ruck and the Rover. He did so mainly by blocking and shepherding for the Ruck and the Rover. The Follower was tall, but often a bit shorter though more mobile that the ruck.

At times when the Ruck could not keep up with the play the Follower would contest in the ruck.

Team also played two Rucks, with one resting in the pocket. When I was a boy I think I recall sometimes the Saints had 3 Rucks, with one each in the Ruck, FP and BP.

Following came to mean the Ruck, Rover and Rover as Followers as they all followed the ball around. These days half a team would be followers ;)

The problem with Longer of course was that while he was quite a decent Ruck, he was poor at being a follower!
Actually, sides used to have four ruckmen. Two on the ball with the other two resting in the forward and backpockets. You are right re Barrassi though.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 6:48pm
saintsRrising wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019 5:33pm

Actually, sides used to have four ruckmen. Two on the ball with the other two resting in the forward and backpockets. You are right re Barrassi though.
Most interesting! Thanks, guys!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I thought the space guard would get question marks. Arguably interchangeable with the zone position but it's a thing, and even possibly could be dovetailed with a role player in some plans. Interestingly many positions in the modern game are not definable by the traditional 18 man setup. Versatility is a coaches Utopia.