Saints v Hawks Marsh Cup Match Thread 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Saints v Hawks Marsh Cup Match Thread 2020

Spinner wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 5:31pm
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020 2:23am Agree on Hill, I imagine Ro$$ Lyin stifled his creativity.
Lyon seems to not allow players to fully use their talents.
I rate Ratts as a more common sense coach than Lyon, having learnt under Clarko.
I suggest if one were to ask Hill quietly about the Saints, he'd say 'breath of fresh air' and 'new lease of life'.
He'd be loving it.
Give him freedom and he'll be a very important difference.

He'll give us that strike power when Swans or Tigers threaten to take over a game.

This is a really weird post. Hill improved significantly under Lyon and performed extremely well.

Did you just make this issue up in your head? Absolutely obsessed.
Not wanting to buy into the coach debate becuse frankly it can become a tedious discussion however just a correction; Hill's kicking deteriorated while at Freo. There was speculation about why but I think it's a mute point becuse I think Hill's bad kicking is still better than most players best kicking.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 5:31pm Hill improved significantly under Lyon ...
Huh? Really?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 6:46pm
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020 2:23am Agree on Hill, I imagine Ro$$ Lyin stifled his creativity.
I rate Ratts as a more common sense coach than Lyon, having learnt under Clarko.
I suggest if one were to ask Hill quietly about the Saints, he'd say 'breath of fresh air' and 'new lease of life'.
He'd be loving it.

He'll give us that strike power when Swans or Tigers threaten to take over a game.

This is a really weird post. Hill improved significantly under Lyon and performed extremely well.

Not wanting to buy into the coach debate becuse frankly it can become a tedious discussion however just a correction; Hill's kicking deteriorated while at Freo. There was speculation about why but I think it's a mute point becuse I think Hill's bad kicking is still better than most players best kicking.

Another weird post. Why are we recruiting bad kicks with mysterious speculation?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 6:48pm
Spinner wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 5:31pm Hill improved significantly under Lyon ...
Huh? Really?
Yeah, amazing isn’t it.

Now he’s worth double the pay (and triple the draft picks) he was 3 years ago.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 10:35pm
He'd be loving it.

Another weird post. Why are we recruiting bad kicks with mysterious speculation?
Who said he was a bad kick. His kicking stats dipped while at Freo and it was speculated it was becuse RL focused more on his defensive strategies than he did on skills. As I say a mute point. Hill's kicking is probably the best the game has ever seen.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 8:27am
He'd be loving it.

Who said he was a bad kick. His kicking stats dipped while at Freo and it was speculated it was becuse RL focused more on his defensive strategies than he did on skills. As I say a mute point. Hill's kicking is probably the best the game has ever seen.

Self described mute point but still raised?

So this mysterious speculation about a player’s kicking due to defensive strategies (I must have missed the front page article on this discovery...). Poorer kicking (allegedly) but a best and fairest in first year? Let me guess, this had nothing to do with any RL strategies.

Kicking slightly poorer (allegedly) but better best and fairest results. Could it be that he became a better all rounded footballer?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 11:33am
He'd be loving it.

So this mysterious speculation about a player’s kicking due to defensive strategies (I must have missed the front page article on this discovery...). Poorer kicking (allegedly) but a best and fairest in first year? Let me guess, this had nothing to do with any RL strategies.

Kicking slightly poorer (allegedly) but better best and fairest results. Could it be that he became a better all rounded footballer?
I'm an unashamed RL supporter, think he's still got a fair bit to offer the game. I'm not sure why Brad's kicking dipped during is time at Freo, there was speculation and some even in the media, I'm sure a Google search will find it, but as I say I think it's a mute point becuse his worst kicking is still probably better than the best.

For what it's worth I think the noise was more to do with RL than it did with Brad's performances as at the time the jungle drums were starting to beat load about RLs future at Freo.

one point
Club Player

mute
refraining from speech or temporarily speechless.
moot point. A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics, or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ahhhhh

the rooster did that first

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 11:56am
He'd be loving it.

I'm an unashamed RL supporter, think he's still got a fair bit to offer the game.
The tosser flosser is a prick. Full stop.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

one point wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 1:48pm mute
refraining from speech or temporarily speechless.
moot point. A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics, or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first.
My Engrish is not the beast

saintbob
SS Life Member

silverhalo wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020 9:39pm Hunter Clark is just pure silk :D
👍
How good is his left, I had to check to see if he was actually a left footer

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 2:27pm
He'd be loving it.

I'm an unashamed RL supporter, think he's still got a fair bit to offer the game.
Can be a prick and a good coach too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 6:49am
saynta wrote: Sun 23 Feb 2020 2:27pm
He'd be loving it.

Can be a prick and a good coach too.
His coaching cost us two premierships imhfo.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:02am His coaching cost us two premierships imhfo.
Maybe one...2009. But we won 20 games in the H&A season that year. I'm sure a fair chunk of that was due to his coaching.
We got lucky in 2010. We were the 3rd team in the H&A and beat Geelong to have the week off.
Collingwood were a better team than us all year. We almost pinched the flag that year but for a dodgy bounce of the ball.

Lyon's flaws, in my view, were more about player development than game day coaching.

I enjoyed going to the footy in 2009/10 when we were favourites to win most games and won way more than we lost.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ha

was thinking about all that this morning
‘n how lucky were to even make 09

the doggies had us by the short n curlys
... thank you rooey

and then in 10
as expressed above

dodgy bounce
then a dodgy opposition

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 10:48pm
Huh? Really?
Yeah, amazing isn’t it.

My house is worth a shitload more now than what it was worth when I bought it 3 years ago too.

It's in far worse condition now too.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 12:57pm
Huh? Really?
Yeah, amazing isn’t it.

My house is worth a shitload more now than what it was worth when I bought it 3 years ago too.

caravans don't count

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 12:57pm
Huh? Really?
Yeah, amazing isn’t it.

You're lucky. An investment unit I brought about ten years ago off the plans is wort 50 thousand less now.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 11:38am
saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:02am His coaching cost us two premierships imhfo.
Maybe one...2009. But we won 20 games in the H&A season that year. I'm sure a fair chunk of that was due to his coaching.
We got lucky in 2010. We were the 3rd team in the H&A and beat Geelong to have the week off.
Collingwood were a better team than us all year. We almost pinched the flag that year but for a dodgy bounce of the ball.

Lyon's flaws, in my view, were more about player development than game day coaching.

I enjoyed going to the footy in 2009/10 when we were favourites to win most games and won way more than we lost.
No you are wrong. We would have won that drawn game in 2010 if Ball hadn't been pissed off by the tosser and was still playing for us rather than the filth.

Never forget, never forgive is my motto.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:37pm

No you are wrong. We would have won that drawn game in 2010 if Ball hadn't been pissed off by the tosser and was still playing for us rather than the filth.

We might have also won the game if Andrew Lovett wasn't the sort of person that mistook a snore for consent!
Anyway, not sure Luke Ball was the difference between the two teams.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:42pm
saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:37pm

We might have also won the game if Andrew Lovett wasn't the sort of person that mistook a snore for consent!
Of course he was in that drawn game. Have you ever watched it?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... s?mid=5146

He was one of the filth's better players with 25 possessions.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:55pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:42pm We might have also won the game if Andrew Lovett wasn't the sort of person that mistook a snore for consent!
Didn't say he didn't play...I said that he wasn't the difference.
13 possessions is hardly a noteworthy game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:58pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:42pm We might have also won the game if Andrew Lovett wasn't the sort of person that mistook a snore for consent!
I don;t know where you are getting your stats from but they are clearly wrong/

He had 15 kicks 10 handpasses and 7 marks.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 4:00pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 3:58pm
I don;t know where you are getting your stats from but they are clearly wrong/

He had 15 kicks 10 handpasses and 7 marks.
In the replay he did...In the drawn game he didn't.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 00925.html