Max King and Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Max King and Round 1

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 7:26am
Spinner wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:48am He was very impressive today.
I liked what I saw - true he missed some - but he was very active and was drawing 2 defenders at times - that can only benefit the team. There is a lot of pressure on the kid - let him get a few under the belt!
He needs to eat the pressure, it comes with the territory but I get your point, hopefully the desission making on his debut is based on what's best for winning games as well as his debut.

As a side note he didn't seem to be drawing any defenders when he kicked his only goal. Was that because the oppos defense was caught napping or because he hasn't earnt any respect from oppo players as yet.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

its a ‘game plan’ decision isn’t it ?

the only way the giraffe is gunna get legs
is to play him

que

we are building a side that can kick a goal
... isn’t that the plan ?

dudes who can dish it out
to dudes who can kick it
to dudes who can mark it

or am i missing something ?

edit

and then
hopefully ,
the boys that mark it
can kick it through the big sticks
Last edited by asiu on Mon 09 Mar 2020 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 10:09am
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 6:40pm I'm still not convinced he's earnt his debut for round 1.

He still looks very raw and had he made some of those basic skill errors he made today in a match for points he would immediately be dropped backed to Sandy the following week.
You are flogging a dead horse SK.
Max is playing round 1.

If you don't want him in the team, who do you prefer to include instead?

Given you'd assume all of Carslile, Howard, Ryder, Marshall, Battle & Membrey are picked, who do you pick over Max from the fringe group?

Do you want a tall like Brown or Austin, a small forward like Hind or Kent, a small back like Savage or Paton or another mid like Phillips or Langlands?

Who of the fringe group are more deserving than Max of a game?

At this point you have stated neither Max or Howard are certainties or may not deserve their spots.
If you are not sold on two young 200cm athletic KPPs, who do you propose to play instead of them, who is more deserving?
If it's upsetting you JB just ignore my opinions.

But if you are up for a chat I'd be keen to know how you thought Maxy went yesterday. If he produces a game like he did yesterday in season does he keep his spot?

Did you see Ratts response after the game when a journo asked if Max was likely to play round 1. I found it intriguing.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

King's second efforts yesterday were borderline amazing for a 200cm key marking forward.

That's why guys like Lonie end up with 4.

King's game was excellent and no doubt he did everything that was asked if him.

Present. Contest. Pressure.

He did that very, very well.

That alone would have most coaches picking him. And that's without the 4 or 5 he should have kicked.

I'd be staggered if he wasn't picked for R1.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

he seems to play very similar to roo
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 09 Mar 2020 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Harves Man wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:55am
saintspremiers wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 9:16pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 8:41pm as I said in another thread, he is really good at everything but kicking at goal. He is laying tackles, taking leads, bringing the ball to ground running back to help out in defence but my god can he shank them. One out on the full while not that far out in the first half and a shot late in the game so bad it knocked a beer out of spectators hand as he wasn't watching because he was not near the goals.

On a plus he can only get better
It’s just puppy nerves. Expectations and having missed most of last year. Factor in McCartin failure he’s put himself under too much pressure and his mental state is too intense.

Roughy will help sort his mind out.

Relax......that’s all Winx needs to do more of!
Exactly - spot on!

As Kevin Sheedy said in an interview, donkey's years ago - you can't train the sort of pressure that a player is under, during an actual game. He then went on to point out that he had players who could kick the ball so accurately, they could knock the water bottle out of a trainer's hand, but under the pressure of match conditions, that player could miss the goalposts by a mile.

King will play first round - I'm guessing the only real question for selectors is do we put him on a pocket or flank or actual full forward?
i have no doubt he will play round one due partly to lack of options and i did like almost all of what he does. But he needs to work on his goal kicking. I don't buy the pressure excuse for some of the shots he had especially after some of the marks he took were close to goals. in play sure, after a mark in front of goals, not so much Luckily Roughie is there and he will get his action right, firstly starting with him getting a routine, starting with the ball drop. He is young and he is already showing why he was an early draft pick. i like him and he can only get better which is awesome

BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 11:12am he seems to play very similar to roo
?

Nothing like him.

Roo was never a pack crasher, and was never particularly good at forward pressure and tackling. He worked on it - but it wasn't a strength.

Was also never, even as he got older, a big pack marking and/or crashing player.

He also could kick brilliantly around the ground and also at goal.

Vastly different players.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:15pm
?

Nothing like him.

Roo was never a pack crasher, and was never particularly good at forward pressure and tackling. He worked on it - but it wasn't a strength.

Was also never, even as he got older, a big pack marking and/or crashing player.

I reckon you could start a whole new discussion on "pack" mark's. Probably becoming an antiquated term in the coaching ranks and now reserved for use only by the older commentators, a bit like head over the ball.

What's your definition of a pack mark?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:15pm
?

Nothing like him.

almost identical to me.. and about Long you said he coughed up the ball too much in the first half of the game...? he coughed the ball up once...we aren't on the same page Baz... and you dont seem to be on the same page as many on here :)

BarryGrogan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:28pm ... and you dont seem to be on the same page as many on here :)
That's not a bad thing is it?

Varying opinions are a good thing.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:28pm
Ummm, a mark in a pack.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:47pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 12:28pm ... and you dont seem to be on the same page as many on here :)
That's not a bad thing is it?

Varying opinions are a good thing.
correct. It's a good thing.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 10:14am
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 6:40pm I'm still not convinced he's earnt his debut for round 1.

He still looks very raw and had he made some of those basic skill errors he made today in a match for points he would immediately be dropped backed to Sandy the following week.
Max is playing round 1.

Given you'd assume all of Carslile, Howard, Ryder, Marshall, Battle & Membrey are picked, who do you pick over Max from the fringe group?

Do you want a tall like Brown or Austin, a small forward like Hind or Kent, a small back like Savage or Paton or another mid like Phillips or Langlands?

At this point you have stated neither Max or Howard are certainties or may not deserve their spots.
If you are not sold on two young 200cm athletic KPPs, who do you propose to play instead of them, who is more deserving?

But if you are up for a chat I'd be keen to know how you thought Maxy went yesterday. If he produces a game like he did yesterday in season does he keep his spot?

Did you see Ratts response after the game when a journo asked if Max was likely to play round 1. I found it intriguing.
Why would you think anything anyone writes on an internet footy forum would upset any member?
I find your personal references a bit odd to be honest, but I am not offended.

Thinking back the last forum member I read that got very upset was a person who went under the nic of Cairnsman who went nuts and wanted to punch somebodys head at a pub. I think he then had a couple of different nics as he/she faced bans. Their spiral was pretty comical actually :lol:

Now commenting personally does not deflect from the questions I have put forward SK.
If you don't think Max or Dougal Howard should be selected round 1, who do you think is more deserving of a spot? I have listed a few players above I consider on the fringe of selection, is there any in that list or a player I have missed that should be in front of Max & Dougie Howser.

In response to your questions:
1. Did not see Ratts interview.
2. Hard to see all on TV but max took a couple of good contested marks, I though his agility for a guy his size coming of a reco and ankle injury was brilliant and I think his height and speed will make some very good defenders nervous and very keen to keep him close and block his run.
His set shots have always been an issue from what I have seen.
In for round 1 no doubt and would retain his spot on that performance.
He adds a different dimension to Membrey and Ryder/Marshall forward and if he continues to compete hard in the air that Lonie, Butler, Gresham, Billings etc will get plenty of crumbs.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i always thought Rooey was a dreadful kick

was always kicking it short
when trying to hit a lead

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ummm, a mark in a pack.
So Roo never took one of those?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:11pm

Max is playing round 1.

Why would you think anything anyone writes on an internet footy forum would upset any member?

Thinking back the last forum member I read that got very upset was a person who went under the nic of Cairnsman who went nuts and wanted to punch somebodys head at a pub. I think he then had a couple of different nics as he/she faced bans. Their spiral was pretty comical actually :lol:

Now commenting personally does not deflect from the questions I have put forward SK.
If you don't think Max or Dougal Howard should be selected round 1, who do you think is more deserving of a spot? I have listed a few players above I consider on the fringe of selection, is there any in that list or a player I have missed that should be in front of Max & Dougie Howser.

2. Hard to see all on TV but max took a couple of good contested marks, I though his agility for a guy his size coming of a reco and ankle injury was brilliant and I think his height and speed will make some very good defenders nervous and very keen to keep him close and block his run.
He adds a different dimension to Membrey and Ryder/Marshall forward and if he continues to compete hard in the air that Lonie, Butler, Gresham, Billings etc will get plenty of crumbs.
Carslile in front of Howard and Ryder and RoMo in front of King.

Robbo also comes out and Battle plays down back.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:24pm
Ummm, a mark in a pack.
So Roo never took one of those?
Very few. His game was to get separation from his opponent, and to isolated one on one.

There's zero way that a coach would ever play Riewoldt in the 'crash the pack' role. Pack work was never his go.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:35pm

Max is playing round 1.

You must of missed this part of my quote (highlighted below), I think we'd all agree on the 5 you list and that they will be selected alongside Howard and King.

The question is who is in front of Howard in your opinion?
Carslile gets first KPD, do you go with Brown, Austin, Clavarino instead of Howard?
Who replaces King in the forward line, a small like Kent?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:51pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 1:35pm

Max is playing round 1.

You must of missed this part of my quote (highlighted below), I think we'd all agree on the 5 you list and that they will be selected alongside Howard and King.

The question is who is in front of Howard in your opinion?
Carslile gets first KPD, do you go with Brown, Austin, Clavarino instead of Howard?
Who replaces King in the forward line, a small like Kent?

No Howard misses out as we will be too tall otherwise. Remember I have Jake, Josh and Wilkie in. Another tall makes us too tall and those three have earnt their spot for R1. If Ben Brown doesn't play then we definitely won't be going too tall.

I have Ryder and Marshall rotating in the FWD line. Kent doesn't get a game for R1. He's got a battle on his hands to get in the side.

Fagan has the same problem at the lions, got new recruits but they can't all fit in the side. Howard will get his opportunity.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Howard would be my first defender picked.

Elite contested defending.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

We can't throw King into a pool of sharks if he isn't ready. We have to pick sides to win and we have a hard draw in the first month and if King is playing badly and we lose to North then watch the intensity go up on the young fella. We have to be careful we dont run the risk of repeating the Jack watts mistake. He's here for a career as the cliche goes.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

I respect your right to an opinion - but I don't understand which part of his game makes you think he isn't ready?

Aside from his kicking at goal, he's been very good.

7 kicks, 5 shots at goal, 5 marks and 2 tackles for a key forward in a game where the disposal inside 50 was putrid and only 19 goals were kicked - is pretty good output. His 'pressure acts' would have been very high too.

If we play someone in that role, who on earth would we think can come in and do it better?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:49pm I respect your right to an opinion - but I don't understand which part of his game makes you think he isn't ready?

Aside from his kicking at goal, he's been very good.

7 kicks, 5 shots at goal, 5 marks and 2 tackles for a key forward in a game where the disposal inside 50 was putrid and only 19 goals were kicked - is pretty good output. His 'pressure acts' would have been very high too.

If we play someone in that role, who on earth would we think can come in and do it better?
I can agree with you here Baz.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 09 Mar 2020 2:49pm 7 kicks, 5 shots at goal, 5 marks and 2 tackles for a key forward in a game where the disposal inside 50 was putrid and only 19 goals were kicked - is pretty good output. His 'pressure acts' would have been very high too.

That's a good strike-rate of shots for goal per possession ... 5 shots at goal from 7 kicks.
That's almost Lockett/Dunstall-like ... :wink:
Hopefully the conversion rate will soon follow.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Remember St Nick in Round #15 2001?

3 Kicks
1 Mark
1 Behind.

$1000 says King betters that in his debut.