Footy in Melbourne -what a joke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Footy in Melbourne -what a joke

1965 Saint wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 2:38pm Boot

Oh dear!!
Lucky you live in Perth, we have the virus and still don't isolate / distance - it's an older generations nightmare and younger people just don't care.

Wherever you go people do not keep their distance - work, supermarket, doctors, bottle shop, officeworks etc etc.

It's like do we care about our aged or economy more.

Victoria have stuffed up big time and are now in trouble as the under 60s just don't care and are sick of isolation. The government are just advising the ones infected to go home and self isolate lol and leaving it up to businesses to (eg cedar meats) to close or remain open when staff have the virus. As if any business wants to close and lose money.

Don't come to Victoria!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 3:47pm
1965 Saint wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 2:38pm Boot

Oh dear!!
Lucky you live in Perth, we have the virus and still don't isolate / distance - it's an older generations nightmare and younger people just don't care.

Wherever you go people do not keep their distance - work, supermarket, doctors, bottle shop, officeworks etc etc.

It's like do we care about our aged or economy more.

Victoria have stuffed up big time and are now in trouble as the under 60s just don't care and are sick of isolation. The government are just advising the ones infected to go home and self isolate lol and leaving it up to businesses to (eg cedar meats) to close or remain open when staff have the virus. As if any business wants to close and lose money.

Don't come to Victoria!!
Good sound advice. :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Young people taking a hit to help out Boomers... what’s new!?

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Except a lot of the new cases are not even Victorian residents. They just happened to land in Melbourne as that is where their flight from overseas landed and now they are in quarantine here for 14 days. After that they will catch their connecting flight to wherever they are from.
It is while they are quarantining here that security guards and hotel staff are catching the virus.
Not all of them sure, but some of them fall into this category as reported.

BTW, I am on record on the forum as predicting this would happen here in Victoria when winter started. If the govt had stood by their policy of schools staying closed until the beginning of term 3 there would be a lot less people moving around, getting on public transport, etc., and there would be less cases, but the media mounted a public pressure campaign and here we are.

Let's just hope those people who do test positive, or are symptomatic and awaiting test results, stay home until it is safe to go back to work, visit family, etc., because this virus isn't going away any time soon.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 9:36pm Except a lot of the new cases are not even Victorian residents. They just happened to land in Melbourne as that is where their flight from overseas landed and now they are in quarantine here for 14 days. After that they will catch their connecting flight to wherever they are from.
It is while they are quarantining here that security guards and hotel staff are catching the virus.
Not all of them sure, but some of them fall into this category as reported.

BTW, I am on record on the forum as predicting this would happen here in Victoria when winter started. If the govt had stood by their policy of schools staying closed until the beginning of term 3 there would be a lot less people moving around, getting on public transport, etc., and there would be less cases, but the media mounted a public pressure campaign and here we are.

Let's just hope those people who do test positive, or are symptomatic and awaiting test results, stay home until it is safe to go back to work, visit family, etc., because this virus isn't going away any time soon.
You can’t keep people locked down like we were for a further 2 months. Eradication is not the end game according to Sutton, it’s suppression.

We’ve done that OK - a bit of community transmission was always likely to spike at times - we have to live with it - can’t keep destroying to the economy.

Currently 9 people are in hospital in Victoria with COVID-19, a rise from 5 a week ago. That is the number to keep a close eye on.

Hospitals have plenty of capacity. The focus should be on the hotspot suburbs. When Ramadan finished a month ago I wonder how much focus there was from the government re large (illegal sized) family gatherings?

Where was better policing of hotel quarantine health practices?

Sounds like Andrews is talking like Hindsight Harry when the current big hotspots were the same hotspots a month back.

It annoys me restaurant’s pubs and clubs aren’t allowed to have 50 people at a time - they could easily have allowed this but reinforced the need to abide by the four square metre rule and send cops out with tape measures if necessary. I saw with my own eyes last week a restaurant full with 20 people - I doubt they were 80 square metres in size given how packed in diners were.

Enforcing 5 visitors at home though is a good move as it is targeted to the real issue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

A good time for everybody to stop moaning about the Covid-19 lockdowns, etc etc. We are basically a lazy country where most people have never experienced restrictions on their ability to have a good time or to get what they want instantly. Thousands of people left right and centre dying everywhere over Europe, USA, South America etc etc. Be thankful you are in Victoria.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Do we think the source and circumstances of the Essendon player's infection will ever be disclosed. The little clips of him nostril snorting and gobbing over the place at training give little confidence in his hygiene practices. Heppell's mishap at training may be a result of the slippery surface at the hanger. Irishman may just spoil this years * comp all by himself. Hope not, and that he gets well soon, is not a carrier and overcomes homesickness.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 8:48am A good time for everybody to stop moaning about the Covid-19 lockdowns, etc etc. We are basically a lazy country where most people have never experienced restrictions on their ability to have a good time or to get what they want instantly. Thousands of people left right and centre dying everywhere over Europe, USA, South America etc etc. Be thankful you are in Victoria.
We have 5 people dying per million people, UK has 600 per million. Stiil.Victoria can still stuff it up.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 9:29am
spert wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 8:48am A good time for everybody to stop moaning about the Covid-19 lockdowns, etc etc. We are basically a lazy country where most people have never experienced restrictions on their ability to have a good time or to get what they want instantly. Thousands of people left right and centre dying everywhere over Europe, USA, South America etc etc. Be thankful you are in Victoria.
We have 5 people dying per million people, UK has 600 per million. Stiil.Victoria can still stuff it up.
Sutton today was talking about the reproduction rate of the virus - ie. how many people one infected person infects. At the moment, it sits at 2.5 - it needs to be below one for the virus to die out.

He did say, though, it's now trending downwards - what he really means is the number of community transmission cases in Victoria is stable - which is a very good sign.

The concern from late last week was if we would see a rapid increase in the daily numbers of community transmission.

Despite the number of people being tested at the moment around double of what it was a few weeks ago, we aren't seeing any surge in numbers. This should enable this latest outbreak to be contained and we should see numbers reduce soon.

I'm generally ahead of the curve - I have a degree in Statistics plus I was analyst looking at trends in previous worklife!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 1:02pm
Sutton today was talking about the reproduction rate of the virus - ie. how many people one infected person infects. At the moment, it sits at 2.5 - it needs to be below one for the virus to die out.

He did say, though, it's now trending downwards - what he really means is the number of community transmission cases in Victoria is stable - which is a very good sign.

The concern from late last week was if we would see a rapid increase in the daily numbers of community transmission.

Despite the number of people being tested at the moment around double of what it was a few weeks ago, we aren't seeing any surge in numbers. This should enable this latest outbreak to be contained and we should see numbers reduce soon.

I'm generally ahead of the curve - I have a degree in Statistics plus I was analyst looking at trends in previous worklife!
I expect this will be managed and numbers reduced within the next couple of weeks. There is a bit too much over-reaction over this spike at the moment though. Relatives in Germany tell me there is another spike over there and some lockdowns are being put in place.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

f***, you learn something every day. Didn't know one could get a degree in
'statistics".

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 1:43pm

I expect this will be managed and numbers reduced within the next couple of weeks. There is a bit too much over-reaction over this spike at the moment though. Relatives in Germany tell me there is another spike over there and some lockdowns are being put in place.
Yes seems like a bit of an overreaction, especially since Melbourne is ruining it all for the rest of the state where there are zero cases!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Freebird
Club Player

saint 1965 - what hope has victoria when you have the fukwit attitudes like reactions on this thread - not only are they sick of isolation they will not distance

1965 Saint
Club Player

I think that’s the thing. We went very hard here straight away and got on top of it early which has allowed the restrictions to be relaxed. We’ll have 60000 people at Optus Stadium by 16 July (unless something goes awry). The places that were too slow off the blocks seem to be the ones with a problem. Was Victoria slow in locking down at the start?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

1965 Saint wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 7:55pm I think that’s the thing. We went very hard here straight away and got on top of it early which has allowed the restrictions to be relaxed. We’ll have 60000 people at Optus Stadium by 16 July (unless something goes awry). The places that were too slow off the blocks seem to be the ones with a problem. Was Victoria slow in locking down at the start?
It wasn't a case of Victoria being slow locking down, more like restrictions were lifted too soon. Crowds at the footy will not happen if the infection rate doesn't get below 1 real quick. It's a better than even money chance the season won't be completed, or if it does, not in the current format. Soccer comps in other countries are also now experiencing major issues with not completing games or being able to field a team due to spikes and infections of players.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

One of the biggest problems is people returning to Australia from India, Africa and Pakistan with the virus and although they are going into alockdown quarantine, they are somehow coming into contact with sevurity guards who in tern are spreading the virus to their families.

The government has to really close this country to all overseas flights,no matter where the passengers call home.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 8:43pm One of the biggest problems is people returning to Australia from India, Africa and Pakistan with the virus and although they are going into alockdown quarantine, they are somehow coming into contact with sevurity guards who in tern are spreading the virus to their families.

The government has to really close this country to all overseas flights,no matter where the passengers call home.
Here we go...

minneapolis
Club Player

A degree in Statistics? What are the odds of that....

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 2:53am

A degree in Statistics? What are the odds of that....
Science degree major in Stats actually

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Quite a few people with Statistics degrees here. Most specialised in free kick counts although a few worked on hitouts to advantage.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Jun 2020 8:43pm One of the biggest problems is people returning to Australia from India, Africa and Pakistan with the virus and although they are going into alockdown quarantine, they are somehow coming into contact with sevurity guards who in tern are spreading the virus to their families.

No, you can’t refuse citizens and permanent residents their human right to return home.

The problem is Daniel Andrews and his pathetic mismanagement of hotel quarantine. He was offered ADF support back in March and refused.

NSW doesn’t have the same problem with quarantine.
NSW sought a court injunction over the BLM protest.
NSW had the Ruby Princess and yet is still in a better position than us.

Andrews is an arrogant POS - he’s finally buckled and allowed 1,000 ADF personnel to run the hotel quarantine debacle. His time is up.

takeaway
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 8:20am

No, you can’t refuse citizens and permanent residents their human right to return home.

The problem is Daniel Andrews and his pathetic mismanagement of hotel quarantine. He was offered ADF support back in March and refused.

Andrews is an arrogant POS - he’s finally buckled and allowed 1,000 ADF personnel to run the hotel quarantine debacle. His time is up.
I think Andrews has been excellent. Didn't need the ADF in March, virus infections were brought down with existing resources and lockdown. Probably relaxed restrictions too early, all leaders are fumbling in the dark to a large extent, and all have made mistakes.

Andrews was the prime driver in getting Scotty off his bum in March, what would Scotty have done without being prodded by the States, particularly Vic & NSW?

I think all leaders have done pretty well in the circumstances. Anyway COVID is a pretty good practice run for when the big boys arrive - the next avian flu which
epidemiologists have been fearing for some years, which could well be far more deadly than little ol' COVID. Then the biggest of them all, which has already started its creep, climate change. Unless the world, particularly some countries, including Australia, don't get into gear, COVID will just seem like a little mozzie bite.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No flights, no imported virus. Let them swim home. Plenty of other countries have closed their borders to ALL flights ffs. You don't have to provide the means.

From the age.com.au

"Family clusters are reportedly responsible for about half of the latest coronavirus cases in Victoria in June, and these clusters have been linked to a GP who worked at multiple clinics, and security guards looking after returned foreign travellers at quarantine hotels."

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 25 Jun 2020 12:25am

Here we go...
What do you mean by “here we go”? Saynta is right.
It’s this stupid attitude that has stuffed us up.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
spert
Saintsational Legend

Andrews has done a good job under huge pressure- warts and all. Go back to bed mate.